e90 CCC and CIC to NBT retrofit DIY - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-24-2015, 01:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 640xd
@ddthomas415: i answered all your questions in the email. Have you received it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2015, 03:22 AM

Mein Auto: e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_andersson View Post
@ddthomas415: I answered all your questions in the email. Have you received it?
don't bs me i sent you numerious messages and you choose to ignored them
you only decided to reply to my messages after i reached out for assistance from other forum member. I open a paypal dispute to resolve this issue
Old 01-30-2015, 04:24 PM

My friend, i was on holiday until today something i told you in each email and message i sent you.

You always have the option to return the items and you will get a full refund.

Is not my fault that after i sent you wiring instructions twice by email you had to reach to somebody else for help and in the end you decided to return the adapter because you dont know how to install it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2015, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 4.8is
Still getting the same message.

Anyone have a clue? I don't want to hook everything up to find out something is wrong. Right now I have the screen, emulate, hu, Bluetooth, GPS, and antenna hooked up. I have the idrive installed without the touch ecu. I haven't rewired the odb2 port. I hooked up the touch ecu but get the same message. The idrive doesn't do anything and it just says on that message.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:45 PM

Your NBT unit is coded for Logic7 Amp and your car does not have the L7 ampliffier, hence the error message.
You need to code NBT according to your car's options, nothing to worry about at this point.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Your NBT unit is coded for Logic7 Amp and your car does not have the L7 ampliffier, hence the error message.
You need to code NBT according to your car's options, nothing to worry about at this point.
Thanks. I'm guessing the IDrive isn't working because I have it wired before the emulator not after like TarveN had to do. Can you confirm this before I rewire it. 2008 X5.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:53 AM

Depends which idrive controller you have.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Depends which idrive controller you have.
It's a touch IDrive with the ecu. I purchased the complete setup from you.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Touch controller and touch ECU is wired between the NBT and the emulator since it should be on the high speed bus (CAN2). My old controller is wired after the emulator using the original idrive controller wiring on the low speed bus (CAN1).
Old 02-05-2015, 11:48 PM

TarveN is correct you need to wire touch idrive and ecu on the can bus between NBT and emulator. He has different idrive controller so he had to wire it after.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E90 318i
Question hello

I have installed a combox it was working but suddenly it stopped so I checked the voltage to combox no voltage but I can't find which fuse is used for it and before I had just tcu

What is fuse number for combox? Please i need help

Thank you in advance
Old 02-10-2015, 03:01 PM

NBT has built in combox functionality. Not sure why you have a combox, unless you're pairing it with CIC.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E90 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarveN View Post
NBT has built in combox functionality. Not sure why you have a combox, unless you're pairing it with CIC.
Yes I do. I have cic too and it works correctly. Just no luck to find fuse number
Old 02-10-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
TarveN is correct you need to wire touch idrive and ecu on the can bus between NBT and emulator. He has different idrive controller so he had to wire it after.
Not sure why it's not working then. I used the 4 original wires for the CCC idrive which are power, ground, can+, can-.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:50 PM

Because you have touch controller you need to replace the CAN wires in the original CCC connector with 2 new can wires coming directly from NBT unit AFTER EMULATOR.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:23 AM

The CAN wires before and after the emulator runs at different speeds. The existing 4 wires are the CAN wires connected to the low speed side. The new touch controller and ECU are high speed devices and need to be connected to the high speed side. You'll need to pull two new CAN wires to the controller for the high speed lines.

Think of the e-series emulator as not just a VIN activator, but also a translator that translates messages between two communications protocols running at different speeds. We need this because NBT uses the faster CAN2 and cannot natively communicate with the e-series' CAN1 interface.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Because you have touch controller you need to replace the CAN wires in the original CCC connector with 2 new can wires coming directly from NBT unit AFTER EMULATOR.
Quote:
The CAN wires before and after the emulator runs at different speeds. The existing 4 wires are the CAN wires connected to the low speed side. The new touch controller and ECU are high speed devices and need to be connected to the high speed side. You'll need to pull two new CAN wires to the controller for the high speed lines.

Think of the e-series emulator as not just a VIN activator, but also a translator that translates messages between two communications protocols running at different speeds. We need this because NBT uses the faster CAN2 and cannot natively communicate with the e-series' CAN1 interface.
Sweet thanks. One last question even though I'm pretty sure I know the answer. I'm guessing I need to splice the IDrive into the CAN+/CAN- and not replace the wires right?
Old 02-12-2015, 08:25 AM

Right. Wire it up in parallel.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Right. Wire it up in parallel.
Perfect.. Thank you very much.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddthomas415 View Post
don't bs me i sent you numerious messages and you choose to ignored them
you only decided to reply to my messages after i reached out for assistance from other forum member. I open a paypal dispute to resolve this issue
I got my retrofit adapter from bimmerretrofit from here (http://www.bimmerretrofit.com/store/...product_id=111)
Instructions were like 60 pages long, very detailed and easy to read. Everything is working, and I coded the NBT using free utility which they supply.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:59 PM

Mein Auto: '06 E90 330i 6MT
Thanks for the awesome DIY. I will definitely be referencing it if/when I take the plunge myself.

Sorry if you had answered this, but I didn't see it in the 3 pages I skimmed. Why bother cutting the metal shroud for the NBT screen when you could have just left it off? Looks like its just there for structural support and attachment to the F3x dash, but the screen and electronics behind it would be protected by the E9x screen housing, no?
Old 02-20-2015, 01:11 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 325i E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
Sorry if you had answered this, but I didn't see it in the 3 pages I skimmed. Why bother cutting the metal shroud for the NBT screen when you could have just left it off? Looks like its just there for structural support and attachment to the F3x dash, but the screen and electronics behind it would be protected by the E9x screen housing, no?
I didn't see a point in cutting the metal part and i installed the screen without it. I still needed to cut the plastic E90 screen housing to make it fit.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto: E60 525d
On E6x, the F30 screen with metal back housing does not fit into the original CCC plastic housing, which is why the excess metal needs to be removed. I assume this is the case for E9x too.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:39 PM

If you don't use the metal backing, then there's less plastic to trim away. I kept the metal backing on since it just pushes against the back piece of the original e9x screen housing, lowering the stress on the double sided foam tape. This way, the foam tape is less likely to come off over the years, and even if it does, the screen will still stay in place.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 325i E90
Quote:
>> Why we need to disconnect pins 8&9 on the DCAN cable?

OBD2 pin 9 is used for data communications on a K-DCAN cable.

OBD2 pin 8 goes to eth_a on the quadlock for the eNet connection. Without disconnecting pin 8&9, you've shorted out the communications line with something you shouldn't have it connected to.
Did You make a typo in Your original post or i don't understand something. OBD pin 9 is not used for ENET, so why you need to disconnect it on DCAN cable?

I opened my DCAN cable and found that pins 7 and 8 are soldered together. I can see how this could cause problems when pin 8 is connected to ETH-A. Are pins 7 and 8 the ones you needed to disconnect in DCAN cable?

If thats the case, then disconnecting pins 7 and 8 in my own DCAN cable resolves this for me, but what about BMW service and/or cars next owner? They are not going to disconnect these pins in their cables. Can this cause damage to car electronics or NBT?

I'm starting to think that connecting a RJ-45 connector directly to the NBT wires is a better option. Of course this has it's own downside, i need to hard wire the ETH-A to +12V so the Ethernet is always on. Any idea if this is bad for NBT or can cause problems?

Last edited by poisike; 02-25-2015 at 09:49 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
camera, ccc, cic, diy, e90, e91, e92, e93, idrive, nbt, retrofit

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search