e90 CCC and CIC to NBT retrofit DIY - Page 4 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-26-2015, 12:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
You're right - typo. It's 7&8. 8&9 are on other ends of the port

Updated. 7 is K-DCAN. 8 is ETH-A.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2015, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 4.8is
I got the idrive working perfectly now thanks. I also have it fitted into the trim. Bluetooth is working but but having issues with the usb. Still have a lot of work ahead of me still but with cold weather we are having its been holding me up.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:22 PM

Having issues understand how to hook up the usb/aux. The white connector doesn't plug into the beige port. I read other threads that said you can grind the connector smooth and rotate the connector 180 degrees or move the wire from the trunk to the hu.

This is in my trunk. Tcu, amp and sirius xm.

This is under my arm rest which had my old usb connected to it.

Anyone have any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2015, 09:50 PM

Nevermind I had to cut the cable and go
green to blue
Blue to green
Orange to brown
Brown to orange

Then ground the connector round.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:52 PM

Old 03-08-2015, 07:56 AM

Im a bit confused by this part.

Remove redundant parts (TCU, MULF, Combox)
My TCU was in the trunk under the removable bottom panel. I didn't take any pictures in the process but it's pretty simple. Just unplug everything, plug the MOST line in to the MOST terminator and wrap everything up with foam to prevent rattles. This took me at most five minutes.

Where does the most line plug into?
Old 03-08-2015, 09:41 AM

I figured that out also. You need to remove the fiber from the stock harness and move it to the nbt harness. Green write with a black wrapped fiber. Pictures below.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5-ERROR View Post
Im a bit confused by this part.

Remove redundant parts (TCU, MULF, Combox)
My TCU was in the trunk under the removable bottom panel. I didn't take any pictures in the process but it's pretty simple. Just unplug everything, plug the MOST line in to the MOST terminator and wrap everything up with foam to prevent rattles. This took me at most five minutes.

Where does the most line plug into?

Disconnect the upper box in this picture.

Last edited by TarveN; 03-08-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:43 PM

Yeah I got it working now thanks. I knew I needed to disconnect the tcu I just didn't know what our when the MOST cable was till I noticed the same color cables at the hu.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:45 PM

ugg well for some reason bluetooth and the usb just stopped working. I worked before unhooking the tcu but i'm not sure how that would affect it. I checked the connections several time and everything seem fine.

The odd thing is the bluetooth sometimes is findable but shows like its a bluetooth headset. Any advise on where to look?
Old 03-09-2015, 12:49 PM

Could the firmware have updated over the internet once I hooked up my phone? I'd been working on it for hours now and have no clue why neither will work. I can find the bluetooth on my phone and when I pair it, it asks for a code (didn't do that before) and when I put in the code on my phone the HU will ask for the code. When I put in the same code the HU says "Connecting..." and the phone says "Connected". Then I get a request on my phone to access the phone book. After that the HU times out yet my phone still says connected.

The other odd thing is when it worked the HU reported itself as BMW9934 and now it reports as BMW3654

Media: MN-002.045.001
Phone: TN-002.045.001

As for the USB I have no clue. I have tried a new wire and rotated it 180 degrees and still nothing. The only thing I did was unhook the TCU and the small box under the center console that the old USB connected to. I have since hooked those both back up and still nothing. I get power to the USB stick but that's about it. Also if I hook up my phone via USB I get the request on the phone to use USB as a media devise.

Also the backup cam and mic aren't working but I'll deal with those later.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:45 PM

Firmware doesn't update over the air. Did you hook up the BT antenna to the NBT? I had the flakey BT issue when the antenna wasn't connected.

Which one corresponds to the last 4 digits of your VIN?
>> BMW9934 and now it reports as BMW3654

The one that doesn't correspond to the last four digits of your VIN is the NBT's BT handle, since it represents the donor car's VIN. Were you still connecting to the TCU in the trunk before disconnecting it?
Old 03-09-2015, 11:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 640xd
1. make sure NBT has a good BT aerial connected to it
2. make sure you disconnect the TCU and/or MULF modules from both MOST bus and main power.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarveN View Post
Firmware doesn't update over the air. Did you hook up the BT antenna to the NBT? I had the flakey BT issue when the antenna wasn't connected.

Which one corresponds to the last 4 digits of your VIN?
>> BMW9934 and now it reports as BMW3654

The one that doesn't correspond to the last four digits of your VIN is the NBT's BT handle, since it represents the donor car's VIN. Were you still connecting to the TCU in the trunk before disconnecting it?
I haven't wired up the obd2 port yet so I can't check the VIN. Maybe neo_andersson can look it up. He coded it my HU when I purchased everything from him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_andersson View Post
1. make sure NBT has a good BT aerial connected to it
2. make sure you disconnect the TCU and/or MULF modules from both MOST bus and main power.
I pulled the bluetooth antenna from the center console and set it on the seat and double checked the wire.

I never unhooked the MULF. I'll try that tonight and hopefully that works.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 640xd
bmw9934 is your NBT unit.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:17 AM

Clearly I am a fool. I thought I completely disconnected the TCU but I didn't see the main harness and MOST cable. Now I don't have the MOST terminal loop & connector that TarveN shows.

Is this what I need?
http://www.ecstuning.com/ES165091/?g...kCuxoCopvw_wcB

Also do I need 1 or 2 of them? I noticed the box behind the TCU (i think it's the MULF) has the MOST cable to it also.

Sorry I didn't get a better look but it was late and dark.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:26 PM

That part works. Alternatively, you can also disconnect the fiber loop from the MOST bridge.

Last edited by TarveN; 03-11-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 E70
Hi all.. new here first post.. Just after getting an retrofit from CCC to NBT completed here.. in an X5 2008 complete with iTouch and Touch ECU. I have a few queries that I'd like to throw in the mix if ye could direct me on.

Here are my few queries.

1. X5 Error :- Do your NBT housing align with the CD/DVD front slot?? i.e. can you install a CD/DVD in the slot??
2. I would like to add a second USB port.. for eg. My NBT is the bells and whistles version, so it has all if not most of the inputs available per photo list by Tavern by the way top post and details a lot.. hats off to you mate. What would this USB port give me with regards to functionality. I have USB1 in glove box with memory stick plugged in. I would like to install second in armrest box and plug in iPhone 6 and retrofit it to the existing phone cradle from information in I looked at in another forum. Can any one provide me with info on what USB 2 will give me. I see the USB port on NBT are keyed specifically does any know part no etc.. all info welcome.
3. DAB radio antenna. there are two available inputs on my unit. I think its the L version I'm looking for as 3 is only available in far side of Europe. I reside in Ireland. Any help here that doesn't cost the an arm an leg

Thanks for reading and any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,
R
Old 03-12-2015, 01:31 PM

On the E90, I had to take off the black DVD guide on the front of the NBT unit. Have you tried that? NBT slot position is about 2mm off of CIC's.

Unlike CIC where USB ports serve different purposes, all NBT USB ports offer full functionality.

Not sure about DAB.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMonster View Post
1. X5 Error :- Do your NBT housing align with the CD/DVD front slot?? i.e. can you install a CD/DVD in the slot??

Regards,
R
TBH I haven't gotten my HU mounted yet because I am still tracing down the bluetooth and USB issues. I can tell you that the HU will not slide all the way back into the opening BUT the faceplace still fits fine. I will check tonight when I get home and see if it lines up and take some photos.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 E70
Cheers all,
Tarven that's great news on USB2, ya wouldn't know part no for cable that suits USB2 port on NBT to USB/AUX socket in armrest glove box ?

X5 that would be great if you could post us a few pics, the guy that's installed is states it can't be used, it seems a smaller unit I don't see why not if it need an alternative adapter to align slots. I'll keep you posted at this end.

Regards
R
Old 03-12-2015, 05:00 PM

The disk lined up fine but as you can see I still don't have the hu mounted.

I unhooked the most cable from the back of the hu and the bluetooth and usb started working so clearly the tcu is issue.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:49 AM

The part number for the cable and USB/Aux port I used are in the original post. The USB cable listed will require you to shave and rotate the connector 180 degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMonster View Post
Cheers all,
Tarven that's great news on USB2, ya wouldn't know part no for cable that suits USB2 port on NBT to USB/AUX socket in armrest glove box ?

X5 that would be great if you could post us a few pics, the guy that's installed is states it can't be used, it seems a smaller unit I don't see why not if it need an alternative adapter to align slots. I'll keep you posted at this end.

Regards
R
Old 03-13-2015, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarveN View Post
The part number for the cable and USB/Aux port I used are in the original post. The USB cable listed will require you to shave and rotate the connector 180 degrees.
Or cut the cable like I did and switch the wires. The layout is....
Green to Blue
Blue to Green
Orange to Brown
Brown to Orange

I liked this idea a little better as the lock for the connector was still in place and I didn't have to worry about not having it lined up correctly. But I will admit that TarveN way is easier.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: E90 335i
Why do you have to change the wires positions?

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
camera, ccc, cic, diy, e90, e91, e92, e93, idrive, nbt, retrofit

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search