Turned over 100,000 miles on my 2012 328i; here’s a record of my maintenance/repair - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 11-03-2019, 09:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 F30 328i
Turned over 100,000 miles on my 2012 328i; here’s a record of my maintenance/repair

I know there are a few posters with >100k miles on the forum, but there is not a whole of additional information on those cars. I often see people asking about reliability and maintenance costs on these vehicles, so I thought I would share my experience reaching 100k miles on one of the earliest built F30 328i.

Some key data on my car:
It is a MY12 328i with the N20 motor.
Manufactured in 11/2011 in Munich and went into service in 07/2012 in USA.
I purchased it in 05/2014 with 19k miles on the odo as an executive demo.
The warranty and complimentary maintenance expired on 07/2016.

Today, I crossed the 100k mark. For the first 50k miles, I followed the CBS maintenance schedule and all services were done at BMW dealers. OCIs were on average every 17k miles. Yes, 17k miles. In addition, I got the usual complimentary air filter changes, wiper blade replacements and two brake fluid flushes. At 37k miles I switched from the OEM runflats to Conti Control Contact Sport A/S tires (out of pocket, of course). At 40k miles I had the hood latch release cable replaced under warranty. There were a couple of recalls that were done before I took possession of the car. The last free oil change was around 49k miles.

For the next 50k miles, I continued to mostly follow the CBS (except for mid-way oil changes between the 17k OCI) and used a combination of dealers/indies for all the work. Here’s a record of everything I did since 07/2016:

2 brake fluid flushes (every two years per CBS)
6 oil changes (approx every 8k miles)
1 spark plug change (all 4 plugs) at 57k miles
1 wiper blade replacement
1 cabin and engine air filter replacement (approx every 30k miles; due again soon)
3 tire rotations
1 brake pad replacement on all 4 wheels (no rotor replacement) at 72k miles.
4 tires replaced with Conti DWS 06 at 74k miles.
1 wheel alignment at 77k miles.
1 steering motor mount recall around 80k miles (no charge to me).
1 adaptive headlight wire repair at 87k miles (the wire was chafed and had to be spliced. This was the only “repair”).
1 got a number of software features coded into the car at 87k miles
1 drive belt and tensioner replacement at 93k miles.

The total out-of-pocket expense for all of this was $4143 over 3.5 years (incl both sets of tire replacements), so on average $1184 per year. Not counting the tires, it came to $2643 ($755/year).

There are no leaks from any of the gaskets so none of those have been replaced. I have also not replaced the coolant, ATF, differential fluid, etc and do not plan to do so unless required, for example, during a cooling system repair. The battery is original and working like a champ, but I may replace it over the next few months before my electronics start acting up seeing that it is 8 years old now.

Overall, this car has been very reliable and a lot of fun to drive and own! It is in very good condition inside and out and looks just 4-5 years old. I’m sure some major maintenance/repair items will show up over the next couple of years. I am prepared to deal with them and plan to keep this car for as long as the maintenance does not become a constant hassle. My next goal is 150k miles.

Wish me luck for the next 50k run!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW 100K miles_1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	870811  

2012 328i Luxury Line | Glacier Silver/Saddle Brown | Premium pkg | Tech pkg | Cold weather pkg | Lighting pkg | Park distance control | Anti-theft alarm system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2019, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: bimmer
That is a great report, thanks for sharing!

The only concern is N20/N26 timing chain, hopefully BMWNA can provide extension to 15 years/150000 miles!

My total so far for 7 years 70k miles is $2k, including $1.2k for tires($800 without tires).

Mine had 6 oil changes under free maintenance, those are 1-year(around 9k) + CBS(which came on after 4k). Since end of free maintenance mid-OCIs were done around 7k miles, and there were 4 paid OCIs so far.

The other costs are: coolant + brake at dealer, spark plugs at indy, and air filter + cabin filter DIY.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhrp View Post
1 steering motor mount recall around 80k miles (no charge to me).
1 adaptive headlight wire repair at 87k miles (the wire was chafed and had to be spliced. This was the only "repair***8221.
1 got a number of software features coded into the car at 87k miles
1 drive belt and tensioner replacement at 93k miles.
What is SIB of steering motor mount recall? Mine does not have that done, better head to dealer to see if they owe me that fix!

What was symptom of adaptive headlight wire, and where exactly is this wire? There are many exposed wires all over engine bay, it does worry me if any can be chafed ....

So @93k was the belt cracked?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2019, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Yeah, that engine is a ticking time bomb, sometimes literally. It's cost about $4k to have it upgraded with the new components. If you don't get it upgraded, carry a carboard box and a screwdriver in case the engine goes kablamo. The cardboard box for putting all you stuff in the glovebox, center storage bin, and trunk in. The screwdriver is for taking the license plate(s) off. Fixing the engine will cost more than the car is worth. So, just call a tow truck and have a junkyard that specializes in BMW's picked out.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
Yeah, that engine is a ticking time bomb, sometimes literally. It's cost about $4k to have it upgraded with the new components. If you don't get it upgraded, carry a carboard box and a screwdriver in case the engine goes kablamo. The cardboard box for putting all you stuff in the glovebox, center storage bin, and trunk in. The screwdriver is for taking the license plate(s) off. Fixing the engine will cost more than the car is worth. So, just call a tow truck and have a junkyard that specializes in BMW's picked out.
It may not be that bad.

Repair cost without engine is around $2k from local trusted indies with TC kit, or extra $500 if oil pump is swapped too(oil pumped needed only if plastic pieces in oil pan).

There was supposed to be a conference call among plaintiffs and BMWNA with the judge last Thurs so updates may be available in coming weeks.

My strategy is to look out for high-whine sound, and to check for excess TC slack at cold/hot, those are the definitive clues of TC health.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
What is SIB of steering motor mount recall? Mine does not have that done, better head to dealer to see if they owe me that fix!

What was symptom of adaptive headlight wire, and where exactly is this wire? There are many exposed wires all over engine bay, it does worry me if any can be chafed ....

So @93k was the belt cracked?
For the steering motor mount recall I got a letter from BMW. Perhaps yours doesn't need it. See post #43 here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...g+motor&page=2

The headlight issue was weird - one fine day the auto high beam worked fine but the passenger side headlights would stay on for about 10 min after shut-off and neither of the cornering lights worked. One indy did a few tests and changed the passenger headlight module, but no dice. They couldn't figure it out in the end. Took it to another indy who took a few hours to find the chafed wire in the jumble of wires in the harness (kudos to them!) and spliced it. That fixed the issue. I don't know which wire it was exactly.

The belt had some very fine cracks in it, so changed it out.

2012 328i Luxury Line | Glacier Silver/Saddle Brown | Premium pkg | Tech pkg | Cold weather pkg | Lighting pkg | Park distance control | Anti-theft alarm system
Old 11-03-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
I'm going to ride it out and see what happens. If the noise appears, I will get it fixed proactively. It'd be a shame if it implodes without any symptoms, but I'm not losing sleep over it.

Old 11-03-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
I'm going to ride it out and see what happens. If the noise appears, I will get it fixed proactively. It'd be a shame if it implodes without any symptoms, but I'm not losing sleep over it.
Local foreman stuck finger in to check TC slack with warmed up engine(after engine was turned off). He said failing TC has play even when hot, and can fit a finger underneath when cold!

The real failure arrives when fully extended tensionel cannot keep the TC snug/tight, esp. when engine is hot and running at high rpm.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 BMW Z4 sDrive 2.8
Thank you very much for your post. I find it encouraging. I recently bought a Z4 with the N20, but it was made in 2016 after the timing belt issue was identified and hopefully rectified. I go out of warranty in June and am trying to decide if I need an extended warranty. However, I only have a little more than 10k miles on the car, so reading stories like yours encourages me towards not needing one. We always hear of the issues, but as someone else has said we don't hear as much about those BMW's with no problems. Thanks again.

2016 Z4 2.8
2013 335i - European Delivery September 2012
1985 318i
1983 528e
1981 320i
1979 320i
Old 11-07-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irianjim View Post
Thank you very much for your post. I find it encouraging. I recently bought a Z4 with the N20, but it was made in 2016 after the timing belt issue was identified and hopefully rectified. I go out of warranty in June and am trying to decide if I need an extended warranty. However, I only have a little more than 10k miles on the car, so reading stories like yours encourages me towards not needing one. We always hear of the issues, but as someone else has said we don't hear as much about those BMW's with no problems. Thanks again.
You are welcome, and glad it helped. That was part of the reason I posted this detailed report. Not all cars have issues. In fact, I reckon most cars don't have issues. Of course forums are enriched in them because people come here looking for help/answers.

Old 11-07-2019, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto:
Looking over your list I don't see any transmission fluid change. I would have done that at 50K and once again at 100K. How is the shifting smoothness? I just drained 2012 335i ATF fluid twice and put on new transmission pan & filter. Second gear was getting a bit sloppy shifting prior to changing. The lifetime fluid gets oxidized and turns brownish to black prior to reaching lifetime so good to change if you like smooth shifts.

I would probably also flush cooling system and top off with new BMW coolant prior to having a repair to be safe.

Also, why spark plug change at 57K? Were you having issues?

Last edited by germans; 11-07-2019 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germans View Post
Looking over your list I don't see any transmission fluid change. I would have done that at 50K and once again at 100K. How is the shifting smoothness? I just drained 2012 335i ATF fluid twice and put on new transmission pan & filter. Second gear was getting a bit sloppy shifting prior to changing. The lifetime fluid gets oxidized and turns brownish to black prior to reaching lifetime so good to change if you like smooth shifts.

I would probably also flush cooling system and top off with new BMW coolant prior to having a repair to be safe.

Also, why spark plug change at 57K? Were you having issues?
Transmission is actually super smooth so I don't plan to change it out at all. The manual calls for a 60k spark plug change so I did that but the original plugs looked good so could have easily gone to 80k. What mileage do you suggest?

Old 11-07-2019, 05:43 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Transmission is actually super smooth so I don't plan to change it out at all. The manual calls for a 60k spark plug change so I did that but the original plugs looked good so could have easily gone to 80k. What mileage do you suggest?
Well most car companies have switched to 100,000 mile spark plug changes but maybe BMW is different? My girlfriends has 50K miles and haven't changed them yet. Maybe if MPG goes down or get error code will.

I'm surprised that transmission still smooth with same fluid at 100K.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germans View Post
Well most car companies have switched to 100,000 mile spark plug changes but maybe BMW is different? My girlfriends has 50K miles and haven't changed them yet. Maybe if MPG goes down or get error code will.

I'm surprised that transmission still smooth with same fluid at 100K.
I'm going to go to 80k on the current set of plugs. While searching this topic online, I read that even if the plugs seem to be okay, the difference in gap can strain the ignition coils such that too late of a spark plug change could result in one having to swap out the coils as well. I am not knowledgeable in that area, so I don't know how solid that info is.

There was someone on the other forum with 170k+ miles who had a smooth transmission with no ATF change.

Old 11-07-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
I'm going to go to 80k on the current set of plugs. While searching this topic online, I read that even if the plugs seem to be okay, the difference in gap can strain the ignition coils such that too late of a spark plug change could result in one having to swap out the coils as well. I am not knowledgeable in that area, so I don't know how solid that info is.

There was someone on the other forum with 170k+ miles who had a smooth transmission with no ATF change.
My local trusted indy said when (very fine) iridium tip wears with accumulated miles, the spark plugs can draw extra current which can stress the coils.

My plugs were [email protected] at 60k miles per BMW service. The new plugs improve mpg by 1 to 2 miles, and that can easily pay for the job with gas savings in next 40k miles!
Old 11-07-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
My local trusted indy said when (very fine) iridium tip wears with accumulated miles, the spark plugs can draw extra current which can stress the coils.
So that seems to corroborate what I read. Might be worthwhile not waiting too long to swap out the plugs.

Last edited by adhrp; 11-07-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 530i e60 5 serie
125k miles on my N26 2013 f30, solid car! Change oil and filter every 5k, keep auto/start stop turned off. Many of the chain issues is enhanced from what I presented above. No, I am not concerned of my n26 grenading itself. I know some people got taken for a ride over that issue, the oil pump sometimes makes a whine sound which is mistaken for chain. Sometimes it snaps with or without warning, yes the parts are defective but only a handful. I think, it really comes down to neglect and not proper maintenance. I know someone with 170k miles with same chain and guides. Just be proactive and you’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search