Anyone one do the Euro rear fog light mod? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
Anyone one do the Euro rear fog light mod?

I might need to enable the rear fog lights on my car. Anyone do the mod? If so, it is same as this?

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...t-install.html

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2017, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: E63 645ci
I would have thought that would work, if not there maybe some coding involved for the LM.

Can I just ask though, are you saying you guys get the actual fog light in the bumper but no way to activate them??? What are they used for if that's the case and how do you turn on the front fogs, we have a separate switches for front and rear fogs?

Neal.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Found this wiring diagram if it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	07 Front & Rear fog WDS.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	599105  

Neal.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsurf View Post
I would have thought that would work, if not there maybe some coding involved for the LM.

Can I just ask though, are you saying you guys get the actual fog light in the bumper but no way to activate them??? What are they used for if that's the case and how do you turn on the front fogs, we have a separate switches for front and rear fogs?
Haha, this made me laugh. In the US, they're for decoration, kinda like **** on a bull. We do get the switch for the front fogs so those function as intended.
Some Audi's / Mercs / Jaguars / Porsche come with the rear fogs enabled, and those owners tend to keep those on whenever the driving lights are on, even in clear conditions. The people doing that have no concept of how those fog lights are intended to be used, they also usually cruise in the "fast" lane with several cars behind them and don't understand that concept either... BMW is one of the only Euro manufacturers that does not have that fog light enabled on any models, maybe because they want to prevent yet another reason for stupid drivers to generate contempt for BMW drivers. Who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsurf View Post
Found this wiring diagram if it helps.
Yes thank you, that is immensely helpful. I need to source the switch and so far it's a fail. My car has HUD and night vision and I found the part number for the switch, but no luck sourcing it. I may have to have my Dad buy it for me from a dealer in France and send it to me, or wait til car crosses the pond and put it in once there.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Strange, I guess they probably just charge a fortune to have the switch fitted and call it an optional extra .

Is this any help for the switch?

https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E63-65...ting/Switches/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-OEM-E60-...-/380152219564

Neal.

Last edited by Hsurf; 05-29-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
I might need to enable the rear fog lights on my car. Anyone do the mod? If so, it is same as this?

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...t-install.html

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app
I did it a while ago. No mods needed. I found the switch in the UK on eBay and it was a plug and play install. Bulbs are already populated on both sides and just worked.

Completely freaked out a friend at the dealer. He never saw them lit before.

FYI, they are disabled in the US because of a DOT regulation. Rear fogs are allowed but only on drivers side. Ours are wired together and can't be split (unless you mod it).

Once enabled with the new switch, I was also able to get them to operate as brake lights and also DRL rears with some coding.

Be careful as both switches in the links are not correct. If you get one from an M6 there are no front fogs and you will disable yours. You must have the fog light symbol on top left and right for it to work.

Like this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E60-E61-...NYa3CW&vxp=mtr

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White

Last edited by roseng; 05-29-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Ah ok, strange that such a safety option would be disabled but I guess as stated above, they weren't being used as intended.
The only ones I've seen with both HUD and Night Vision switches had the right fog replaced with the HUD leaving only the left fog switch.
They do like to make these things more difficult than they need to be , more options than you can poke a stick at.

Neal.

Last edited by Hsurf; 05-29-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:29 PM

Awesome info from both of you. Thank you.

The one I need is part number 61316946339 according to RealOEM. Could not find it at my go to places (FCP ECS GetBMWparts), the link for eBay says you can get that part number but at $179 plus shipping I'm better off having my Dad buy it at the BMW dealer in France for under 100 euros.

So glad to read it's just a matter of putting the switch in and no wiring. The wiring part had me freaked out, I would have had to shop it out. I just want the fog lights to function as intended for Euro duty.

The reason I'm inquiring about this is I was going to ship my E46 to France this summer so I could have a car when I go there and also help me with my garage problem in the US, but now I'm thinking the 650 is going to go instead. Still deciding. I ordered the Euro spec glass for side mirrors, that mod is a 5 minute deal as I've done it on the E70 to reduce blind spots and now on the E46 as part of prep for the trip across the pond.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search