M40I braking not smooth, they seem too grabby - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 G01 (2018 - current)

X3 G01 (2018 - current)
The third generation X3 starts production in August of 2017 and will include the new X3 M40i top of the line performance model.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:54 PM

Mein Auto: e46 330ci
M40I braking not smooth, they seem too grabby

My wife got a x3 M40i recently and I notice that the brakes seem to take much more concentration to slow the vehicle smoothly. Its like it takes very little movement at the pedal to make a huge change to the brake pressure applied.
I also notice that when coming to a stop with the auto start feature active there is an abrupt jerk just as the engine shut offs.

Does anyone also experience these symptoms with their x3 M40i?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2018, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 X3 M40i
I think I figured out how to break without it grabbing but that abrupt jerk right before the car shuts off is annoying.

I am going to code my car this weekend and I think I will code it to keep auto start/stop off or remember last setting (whichever one it is). I wouldn't mind using this feature, but with the way reacts, I can't stand it.

Present: 2018 BMW X3 M40i
Old 04-09-2018, 11:19 PM

Thanks for the feedback slick316.
hopefully my wife figures out how to break smoothly too, it makes it impossible for me to snooze in the passenger seat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2018, 11:19 PM

double post

Last edited by supe; 04-09-2018 at 11:21 PM. Reason: double post
Old 04-10-2018, 06:51 AM

Mein Auto: '18 X3 M40i
I haven't taken delivery of my M40i yet (two weeks or so) but on my test drive i did notice the brakes were grabby...they're M Sport brakes so by definition I just assumed they were stronger than normal brakes and would be something i'd have to get used to and adjust my brake pressure. it's part of what you paid for...strong brakes.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 Audi S3 Prestige
Not my experience. Compared to brakes on a Corolla they might feel grabby. This isn't a Camry
Old 04-10-2018, 07:19 PM

I guess I just haven't experienced too many performance car brakes, but i find the M40i brakes to seem more difficult to slow linearly compared to the SQ5 i had driven.
The auto start/stop jerk as you slow to a stop may be more annoying though.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
BMW brakes are normally very linear, braking force proportional to the pedal force and travel. I let a friend and Corvette Bubba drive my E46 M3 when he was in town. Pulling up to the stop sign coming out of the parking lot where he was staying at maybe 10 MPH, he said "Wow, these brakes are... uhhh... intuitive." When I'd drive Frau Putzer's Honda after being in a BMW for a while, the first stop I'd do would be jerky at the beginning. She'd say what she says a lot, to both me and the Putzer cats: "What the Hell's wrong with you?" If she dies before me, I'm going to have that inscribed in her ash urn.

Most of the time I've been driving her G01 I've been experimented with engine braking using the shift paddles and the coasting in neutral feature in EcoPro mode. So, I haven't paid as much attention to the brakes as I normally do.

With BMW's new high-efficiency wheel bearings and coasting in neutral in EcoPro, at highway speeds you can let off the gas well over a 1/3 mile from where you're going to stop.

I've found that it's best to shift into Sport mode with the gear selector before doing multiple downshifts with the paddles for engine compression braking. That way, you can shift back to non-sport with the gear selector and be done with manual shifting if you want to be.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 G01 (2018 - current)
Today's Posts Search