N63 oil consumption test - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - 2018)

F12 / F13 (2012 - 2018)
The all new 3rd generation 6 series coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) forum. The F06 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe forum is here

Old 06-06-2019, 06:51 PM

Mein Auto:
N63 oil consumption test

Hello, I'm new to the group but am so beyond frustrated with my 2012 650i! I had less than 47k miles on the car last year when the Drive train malfunction error pop up followed by a consistent knock as if a rod is ready to go. I have metal shavings in my oil pan and filter, long story short a prime Candidate for the N63 recall (or so I thought) once I learned of the settlement late last year. I towed my car to the dealer this week to run the oil consumption test only to have them call me the following day saying BMW denied the claim based on when they pulled the black box info from the car it showed no indication of low oil light ever illuminating even though it came on nearly every month as I'm sure you all know...any advise or direction from here would be greatly appreciated! Please help CCP was done in 2015 fyi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2019, 06:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3 28i
Tool late now of course, but whenever a weird message shows up in iDrive I take out my phone and take a picture of it. I guess I never thought of the car recording the low oil light, but I guess it does not surprise me. I guess if it were me I'd look into that more - does it really record it, and what possible explanation is there for it not being stored if it actually came on? For them to deny the claim based on what you are saying, they are basically calling you a liar. Only instead of the old "it's his word vs. hers" thing, it's your word vs. your car's word.

Last edited by Yardney; 06-07-2019 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
That do not sound right. The test is not based on whether or not some error was captured in the black box. The oil consumption test is a test to see if your motor is seeping oil between the valve seals. They should be able to tell regardless of an error code. There is a tolerance that has to be me and if you engine fails, then it's a candidate for the replacement. You should be able to get a copy of the test or the technician write up. Then take discuss with BMW of NA and if no resolution take it to your lawyers. That excuse sounds like BS to me. I got mine replaced because of the readings back from the dealer test.

Previous Cars:
2008 650 Convertible 6 speed manual
2004 645 Convertible 6 speed manual
1994 540 6 speed manual

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - 2018)
Today's Posts Search