N63TU engine problems- please help - Page 4 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - 2018)

F12 / F13 (2012 - 2018)
The all new 3rd generation 6 series coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) forum. The F06 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe forum is here

Old 04-01-2018, 10:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 650xi, 2011 Z4 35is
I think the real telling story is the fact that they are willing to change all of these parts when a third party warranty is covering the costs. If it was still under warranty from BMW they wouldn’t be so quick to change all those parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

2011 Z4 sDrive35is Deep Sea Blue Metallic/Ivory White Nappa (Sold)
2014 X5 xDrive50i Mineral White/Back Dakota (retired)
2015 650xi Gran Coupe Space Grey/Black Nappa (Sold)
2015 M4 Austin Yellow Metallic - Daughter's Car
2015 328i Mineral Grey Metallic - Daughter's Daily Driver
2016 X6 xDrive35i Black Sapphire/ Cognac/Black Bi-Color Nappa
2016 435xi Convertible Black Sapphire/Black Dekota (Sold)
2014 640xi Gran Coupe Alpine White/Black Dakota
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2018, 05:33 AM

Mein Auto: 13 650x Vert. 17 Corvette
I was at my BMW dealer Sat morning for the freee car wash and got with the business manager on extended warranties. My CPO runs out Aug of this year on my '13 650X. I've got 29K mi on it.

BMW does not specifically offer an extended warranty but this dealer offers a service contract for my 650 thru Allstate

Allstate clock starts at purchase of the program so there no reason to do it before the CPO runs out. I was told to come in about 2 weeks before CPO expires. If the factory warranty runs out, then Allstate will not offer a program

The dealer would deal with Allstate rather than me trying to deal with a 3rd party program I found on the internet. I rather they fight my battles for me.

To buy additional 20K miles and 2yr its $3335
for 30K and 3yr its $4156.

both are for everything, not just power train and $200 deductible. It covers, computer, heated seats, radio, top mechanism, etc.

I actually thought those $$ were pretty reasonable. After 3yr, my 650 will be 8yr old. Hopefully if the engine self destructs it will have done it by then.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
If you're a BMWCCA Member, you can reach out to the BMWCCA Ombudsmen for help with unresolved issues like these engines problems.

https://www.bmwcca.org/ombudsmen
Do you have an issue with a BMW dealership or service center? An Ombudsman can provide insight and offer help on disputes after you've exhausted other avenues.
BMW CCA Ombudsmen are volunteers who offer to help club members who have exhausted other means of resolving an issue.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:59 PM

Little update (not really)

It's been 4 weeks since I left the car at the dealer and 2 weeks since HPFP got replaced. After the HPFP was replaced the SA told me that the technician will be combing through more thoroughly. I mentioned that early production build GC is notorious for DTM and perhaps they should get in contact with BMWNA (I told him this because from my research there is nothing the dealer can do after replacing HPFP). His response was something on the lines of "we'll look into it little more and WILL talk to BMWNA". Fine. Just trying to save the dealer some time, but if ya want to continue to waste your time fine by me. <- I didn't actually say this last part.

A few days later I inquired about any update and if they have contacted BMWNA yet. He gave me this vague answer, which I took as "in the process". Fine.

A few days later I asked what BMWNA's response was. The SA said, "Foreman is still looking into it. Will contact BMWNA soon." "Wait what...? I thought you already talked with BMWNA..." "No, working on it." In my head thinking, "Uhh okay."

5-6 days later, "So whats the update?" "Foreman did something but it didn't work." "Okay, BUT DID YOU CONTACT BMWNA?" No response. <- this one was through text

Should I be little more patient given that I got a nice loaner and any repairs would be covered under the warranty? Or should I respond little more aggressively because its been 4 freaken weeks!? (I'm not sure if the latter would even work because it seems the SA doesn't know much...). Do dealers really take this long to try to figure the issue out? I'm surprised they hadn't quit yet, but same time hurry up and quit! GIVE ME A REAL UPDATE.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:59 PM

Little update (not really)

It's been 4 weeks since I left the car at the dealer and 2 weeks since HPFP got replaced. After the HPFP was replaced the SA told me that the technician will be combing through more thoroughly. I mentioned that early production build GC is notorious for DTM and perhaps they should get in contact with BMWNA (I told him this because from my research there is nothing the dealer can do after replacing HPFP). His response was something on the lines of "we'll look into it little more and WILL talk to BMWNA". Fine. Just trying to save the dealer some time, but if ya want to continue to waste your time fine by me. <- I didn't actually say this last part.

A few days later I inquired about any update and if they have contacted BMWNA yet. He gave me this vague answer, which I took as "in the process". Fine.

A few days later I asked what BMWNA's response was. The SA said, "Foreman is still looking into it. Will contact BMWNA soon." "Wait what...? I thought you already talked with BMWNA..." "No, working on it." In my head thinking, "Uhh okay."

5-6 days later, "So whats the update?" "Foreman did something but it didn't work." "Okay, BUT DID YOU CONTACT BMWNA?" No response. <- this one was through text

Should I be little more patient given that I got a nice loaner and any repairs would be covered under the warranty? Or should I respond little more aggressively because its been 4 freaken weeks!? (I'm not sure if the latter would even work because it seems the SA doesn't know much...). Do dealers really take this long to try to figure the issue out? I'm surprised they hadn't quit yet, but same time hurry up and quit! GIVE ME A REAL UPDATE.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:41 PM

N63TU engine problems- please help

Your update sounds very similar to my experience with my ‘13 GC. The last time it was in the shop it had been there 3 weeks when I left for California to visit my daughter who’s in the Navy. I kept in touch with the SA every few days until it was about 4 days before I was to return and told him that if the car wasn’t fixed when I returned something would have to be done. Surprisingly, when I returned the car was “fixed.” A few days later, DTM again. That is when the buy back process really began in earnest. A few days after that, my new car was ordered.

Old 04-12-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaker55 View Post
Your update sounds very similar to my experience with my ‘13 GC. The last time it was in the shop it had been there 3 weeks when I left for California to visit my daughter who’s in the Navy. I kept in touch with the SA every few days until it was about 4 days before I was to return and told him that if the car wasn’t fixed when I returned something would have to be done. Surprisingly, when I returned the car was “fixed.” A few days later, DTM again. That is when the buy back process really began in earnest. A few days after that, my new car was ordered.

I went through most of your posts regarding your GC. Glad the solution turned out well. Actually, extremely well. Question: did you buy the car new, CPO, or used? Also, BMW gave you a new car rather than offering to replace the engine? Replacing engine seems like the cheaper option...no?
Old 04-12-2018, 04:44 PM

I bought the car new in March ‘14. It was a leftover on the dealers lot with about 500 miles on it.

A new engine was never offered nor would it have been accepted. In a way, I had them over a barrel. When I had the original problem, we were on our way to Florida and about 50 miles north if Atlanta. At the time, they would not give me a loaner vehicle because they claimed that their loaners could not be taken out of state. During the last time it was in the shop, they drove my car to Chicago to a BMW engineer without my knowledge. Asked them if their loaners could not be driven out of state, what gave them the right to take my car out of state without my knowledge?

Last edited by Oaker55; 04-12-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: 13 650x Vert. 17 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaker55 View Post
I bought the car new in March ‘14. It was a leftover on the dealers lot with about 500 miles on it.

A new engine was never offered nor would it have been accepted. In a way, I had them over a barrel. When I had the original problem, we were on our way to Florida and about 50 miles north if Atlanta. At the time, they would not give me a loaner vehicle because they claimed that their loaners could not be taken out of state. During the last time it was in the shop, they drove my car to Chicago to a BMW engineer without my knowledge. Asked them if their loaners could not be driven out of state, what gave them the right to take my car out of state without my knowledge?

Can't drive a loaner out of state?? thats kinda ****ty for a BMW dealer. Shoot my GM mini van lunched a transmission 600 mi from home and even cheapskate GM gave me a loaner to drive home. Of course I had the drive the loaner back 600 mi to pick up my repaired van the next week which sucked. Cost me 2 days of work and hotel stay.

This is why I'm not real shot about driving our '13 650 beyond 1hr away from home.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:10 AM

Yea, wasn’t a great first experience with BMW. Had to rent a Dodge minivan to get to Florida and back to Atlanta a week later. I wasn’t real happy to say the least. I ended up being reimbursed for the rental plus some for my trouble. Then they drove my car to Chicago? I went ballistic.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:05 PM

New update: Engine locked up during a test drive by the foreman. SA will be talking to warranty company to pay for new engine.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 650xi
Engine clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by tAT View Post
Sorry if I wasn't clear. The extended limited warranty does apply to my F13/N63TU 2013 650i (build date 10/2012). What didn't apply was that because I haven't had the fuel injectors replaced yet, I don't need to use the retroactive reimbursement process.
tAT, so I picked up that 2014 650 vert. 25k miles. I have had it a week and I got the "drivetrain malfunction" It is back at the non-BMW dealer where I bought it. Fuel pump failure. They are sending to the local BMW dealer for a software update. I have an initial 3 month warranty and I purchased an additional 4 year 50k mi bumper to bumper.
Car has
My build date was September of 2013 and is a MY 2014. It says the engine is a N63t.

Is this a concern I should have? This is NOT a good start........

Comments
Old 10-16-2018, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 550i M-Sport~2015 X1
Not necessarily, the N63TU is complex engine with some very sophisticated engineering. There's nothing to be alarmed about right now. Did you get the car's prior maintenance and repair history to look over before buying the car? This is s top priority for any pre-owned BMW under consideration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomg1551 View Post
tAT, so I picked up that 2014 650 vert. 25k miles. I have had it a week and I got the "drivetrain malfunction" It is back at the non-BMW dealer where I bought it. Fuel pump failure. They are sending to the local BMW dealer for a software update. I have an initial 3 month warranty and I purchased an additional 4 year 50k mi bumper to bumper.
Car has
My build date was September of 2013 and is a MY 2014. It says the engine is a N63t.

Is this a concern I should have? This is NOT a good start........

Comments
Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2018, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
Several months after BMW notified me of the extended limited warranty on the fuel injectors for my 2013 650i Coupe (N63t engine), I received a second letter extending the limited warranty on the high pressure fuel pump. Make sure that BMW knows your car is now registered to you. My car is one model year older than yours so I don't know if the extended warranties are applicable to your car. The extended warranty letters are specific to my VIN.

As Rusty recommends, I bought my car from a non-BMW dealer and had it pre-purchase inspected at a BMW dealer (~$200 inspection service). This was money well spent as they identified a fairly significant suspension problem and some minor routine services that were overdue. The non-BMW dealer agreed to pay for the $3500 suspension work. All of my car's routine service (and the suspension repair) have been performed at a non-BMW shop that specializes in BMWs. The only time I have gone to the BMW dealership for service was when I had a completely dead battery. After I had the car's battery jumped I drove straight to the BMW dealership as it was closer than my maintenance shop and they offered a "free" loaner car. I believe one of these services (the pre-purchase inspection or the battery replacement) associated the car to me and resulted receiving the extended warranty letters.

I hope your issue works out. These are fantastic cars. I smile every time I drive it.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty34 View Post
Not necessarily, the N63TU is complex engine with some very sophisticated engineering. There's nothing to be alarmed about right now. Did you get the car's prior maintenance and repair history to look over before buying the car? This is s top priority for any pre-owned BMW under consideration.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Yeah, I have been driving these cars for 35 years so I did my due diligence. There was no indications of anything and it had always been serviced by BMW dealers I always had 3's and 5's this is my first foray into the 6 world. I love the car! Sticker was $116k. I paid @ 30% of that plus the 4 year extended.

It's just that I have had it a week and it's already in the shop you know?

Thanks for the reply
Old 10-16-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Several months after BMW notified me of the extended limited warranty on the fuel injectors for my 2013 650i Coupe (N63t engine), I received a second letter extending the limited warranty on the high pressure fuel pump. Make sure that BMW knows your car is now registered to you. My car is one model year older than yours so I don't know if the extended warranties are applicable to your car. The extended warranty letters are specific to my VIN.

As Rusty recommends, I bought my car from a non-BMW dealer and had it pre-purchase inspected at a BMW dealer (~$200 inspection service). This was money well spent as they identified a fairly significant suspension problem and some minor routine services that were overdue. The non-BMW dealer agreed to pay for the $3500 suspension work. All of my car's routine service (and the suspension repair) have been performed at a non-BMW shop that specializes in BMWs. The only time I have gone to the BMW dealership for service was when I had a completely dead battery. After I had the car's battery jumped I drove straight to the BMW dealership as it was closer than my maintenance shop and they offered a "free" loaner car. I believe one of these services (the pre-purchase inspection or the battery replacement) associated the car to me and resulted receiving the extended warranty letters.

I hope your issue works out. These are fantastic cars. I smile every time I drive it.
I love the car! Luckily the 2 warranty's will cover this. Just not a good start you know?
Old 10-16-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:

Hey so is the N63t different than the N63tu ??
Old 10-16-2018, 10:20 AM

They are the same. N63t=N63TU it just shows up as N63t in some VIN searches. For detail on the history of the engine and its applications see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_N63
Old 10-16-2018, 10:37 AM

The N63 and N63TU differ in several substantial ways. N63 is a 400hp engine with Vanos while N63TU has 445hp with Vanos and Valvetronic systems. In addition N63TU has upgraded forged steel internal parts over the earlier engines cast parts.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:41 AM

Rusty, I agree with you that there are substantial differences between the N63 and the N63TU. The question was if there was any difference between an N63t and N63TU (there is no difference).
Old 10-16-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Rusty, I agree with you that there are substantial differences between the N63 and the N63TU. The question was if there was any difference between an N63t and N63TU (there is no difference).
OK, thank you taT. If I am not mistaken the T and or TU denotes "Technical Update."
Old 10-16-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty34 View Post
The N63 and N63TU differ in several substantial ways. N63 is a 400hp engine with Vanos while N63TU has 445hp with Vanos and Valvetronic systems. In addition N63TU has upgraded forged steel internal parts over the earlier engines cast parts.
So, how do I know for sure which one I actually have. The car has a manufactured date of Sept 25 of 2013. So it should be a TU. However a vin search shows it as a U. It is at the BMW dealer right now so is it a question for them or is there a more accurate way of verifying?

Thanks
Old 10-16-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomg1551 View Post
So, how do I know for sure which one I actually have. The car has a manufactured date of Sept 25 of 2013. So it should be a TU. However a vin search shows it as a U. It is at the BMW dealer right now so is it a question for them or is there a more accurate way of verifying?

Thanks
With that build date you should have the TU version but I would still ask the dealer to confirm it. If your engine has the Valvetronic throttle control system it is a TU.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 750i
I have a 2014 750i and it apparently has the N63T engine, but it still has a problem drinking oil. I consumes more than a quart every 1K. I am not sure BMW fixed the problem sufficiently.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:49 AM

I have had my 650 for a couple of months now and I have not experienced that consumption issue.........yet.

Knocking on wood.........

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - 2018)
Today's Posts Search