Mileage? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 G01 (2018 - current)

X3 G01 (2018 - current)
The third generation X3 starts production in August of 2017 and will include the new X3 M40i top of the line performance model.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-24-2018, 02:05 AM
FCBayernFTW's Avatar
FCBayernFTW FCBayernFTW is online now
Extended Euro Delivery
Location: Bayern, Deutschland
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,303
Mein Auto: '18 X3
Mileage?

Where you all at? Monday is 7 weeks and Iím at almost 2700 miles.

Who are the road warriors here?

*post your delivery date and mileage*


Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk
__________________
-2015 BMW ///M4 Austin Yellow (sold)
-2017 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring Soul Red Premium
-2018 BMW X3 xDrive30i Phytonic Blue Metallic - ZCV, ZDA, ZPK, ZPP, ZPX

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 03-24-2018, 03:46 AM
JRSteeno JRSteeno is offline
Registered User
Location: St Louis
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 24
Mein Auto: 2018 BMW X3 M40i
11/22/17....3,500 miles.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-24-2018, 04:49 AM
Autoputzer Autoputzer is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NW Floriduh
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 8,362
Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
3/13/18... 600

200 of that was back to the dealer for the paint-less dent repair (PDR) guy to look at it.

The PDR guy will need the dealer to remove some interior trim and a taillight to get at the ding. ... another 200 miles on Tuesday.

The good news is that driving over there with no AC I got 35.5 MPG according to the Trip Computer. Coming back with the AC on, I got 33.0 MPG. I'll get at least 500 miles on this tank of gas.

The tank supposedly holds 17.7 gallons. I reset the trip odometer and the Onboard Computer's MPG and average speed at fill-up. Before a fill-up, I divide the trip odometer miles by the OBC MPG to determine how much gas I have burned. This allows me to run the tank very low without fear of running out of gas. BMW gas gauges are very accurate when new. But, their accuracy decreases with time.

With an accurate estimate of how much gas I need at fill-up, I can blend 1/3 87 AKI and 2/3's 93 AKI to achieve the required 91 AKI, and save about $3/tank. That will get me a "free" corn dog or tasty Hostess Ding Dong's for the road.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 03-24-2018 at 05:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 03-24-2018, 04:18 PM
BobsM3Coupe BobsM3Coupe is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 283
Mein Auto: 2019 X3 M40i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post

With an accurate estimate of how much gas I need at fill-up, I can blend 1/3 87 AKI and 2/3's 93 AKI to achieve the required 91 AKI, and save about $3/tank. That will get me a "free" corn dog or tasty Hostess Ding Dong's for the road.
Autoputz, are you serious or are you mixing the different octane ratings for real?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-24-2018, 06:20 PM
Autoputzer Autoputzer is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NW Floriduh
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 8,362
Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
Autoputz, are you serious or are you mixing the different octane ratings for real?
Sure.

That's what the oil companies do. Gas stations don't have a tank of mid-grade unleaded (89 AKI). They just have regular (87 AKI) and premium (91 or 93 AKI). They blend regular and premium to make the mid-grade.

They don't sell 91 AKI where I live, and my BMW doesn't need 93 AKI. My blending to get the BMW recommended 91 AKI will save me about $800 over the 100k miles I'll keep my 26 MPG 535i. It's too soon to see what the X3 30i's overall MPG will be. It seems to do a little better than the 535i.

You're in California. So, you likely only have 91 AKI premium. But, most of the country only has 87 AKI, 89 AKI, and 93 AKI.

I've also found a generous gas pump, #6 at the Circle K Shell station in the next town. It looks like it's giving away about 1.5% free gas. I make a point of taking one of my cars with a near empty tank when I got past there on other errands.

I filled up the 535i tonight. It took right about 60 seconds to cycle the gas pump a second time. I saved $3.12 by buying 5.2 gallons of regular. After my 5% credit card rebate, that's down to $2.96. But, that works out to $178/hour for my time. Most people who are making $178/hour after taxes are naked when doing so.

Post #29 has a spreadsheet fuel logbook, and instructions for what Frau Putzer has to do when she's putting gas into her X3.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...4#post12424224


Similarly...

I hyper-manage my tires' pressure and rotation to extend their life. On average, I've got 56k miles out of tires I've taken from new to worn out. I've taken four sets of tires past 70k miles. My high-performance are only good for about 40k miles.

I also coast up to a line of cars stopped at a red light. My first BMW had the original brakes all around at 115k miles when I sold it. That saved me $500 as a DIY or $1000 if I had the BMW dealer do front brakes.

I turn off the lawn sprinkler when it's going to rain. That saves me about $5/day.

I optimize my credit card rebates. This year, I will get $2700 back from my credit cards, plus another $500 toward my next GM beater (a 2019 Chevy City Express). I'll get close to $4k back on the City Express, points accumulated over 84 months.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 03-24-2018 at 06:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-27-2018, 12:53 PM
karateboi87 karateboi87 is offline
Registered User
Location: Chicago, IL
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 18
Mein Auto: E90 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
Sure.

That's what the oil companies do. Gas stations don't have a tank of mid-grade unleaded (89 AKI). They just have regular (87 AKI) and premium (91 or 93 AKI). They blend regular and premium to make the mid-grade.

They don't sell 91 AKI where I live, and my BMW doesn't need 93 AKI. My blending to get the BMW recommended 91 AKI will save me about $800 over the 100k miles I'll keep my 26 MPG 535i. It's too soon to see what the X3 30i's overall MPG will be. It seems to do a little better than the 535i.

You're in California. So, you likely only have 91 AKI premium. But, most of the country only has 87 AKI, 89 AKI, and 93 AKI.

I've also found a generous gas pump, #6 at the Circle K Shell station in the next town. It looks like it's giving away about 1.5% free gas. I make a point of taking one of my cars with a near empty tank when I got past there on other errands.

I filled up the 535i tonight. It took right about 60 seconds to cycle the gas pump a second time. I saved $3.12 by buying 5.2 gallons of regular. After my 5% credit card rebate, that's down to $2.96. But, that works out to $178/hour for my time. Most people who are making $178/hour after taxes are naked when doing so.

Post #29 has a spreadsheet fuel logbook, and instructions for what Frau Putzer has to do when she's putting gas into her X3.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...4#post12424224


Similarly...

I hyper-manage my tires' pressure and rotation to extend their life. On average, I've got 56k miles out of tires I've taken from new to worn out. I've taken four sets of tires past 70k miles. My high-performance are only good for about 40k miles.

I also coast up to a line of cars stopped at a red light. My first BMW had the original brakes all around at 115k miles when I sold it. That saved me $500 as a DIY or $1000 if I had the BMW dealer do front brakes.

I turn off the lawn sprinkler when it's going to rain. That saves me about $5/day.

I optimize my credit card rebates. This year, I will get $2700 back from my credit cards, plus another $500 toward my next GM beater (a 2019 Chevy City Express). I'll get close to $4k back on the City Express, points accumulated over 84 months.
Kudos to you on all the savings... One thing I'm just not sure about your blending is, do you know if the lower grade octane and higher grade octane gas mix by itself? I don't know chemistry of gasoline very well so not sure if there is density differences and what not that could cause one to sink and other to float or if you just pump them in, is it first in-first out or will somehow mix by itself?

Nothing wrong with saving $ though. I stretch my dollar quite a bit like you (with credit card cashback %, etc).
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-27-2018, 01:31 PM
FCBayernFTW's Avatar
FCBayernFTW FCBayernFTW is online now
Extended Euro Delivery
Location: Bayern, Deutschland
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,303
Mein Auto: '18 X3
Mileage?

This made me happy coming from an M4 to the X3 (~480miles)




Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk
__________________
-2015 BMW ///M4 Austin Yellow (sold)
-2017 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring Soul Red Premium
-2018 BMW X3 xDrive30i Phytonic Blue Metallic - ZCV, ZDA, ZPK, ZPP, ZPX

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-27-2018, 01:48 PM
Autoputzer Autoputzer is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NW Floriduh
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 8,362
Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
We're on our second tank, 396 miles and still over a 1/4 tank. This tank has included two round trips to Pensacola, 396 miles, half with AC, half without. We're at 32.5 MPG. We might break 500 miles on this tank of fuel. The first tank was 28.5 MPG. The MPG will improve once the engine is broken in, too.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-27-2018, 02:02 PM
Autoputzer Autoputzer is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NW Floriduh
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 8,362
Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateboi87 View Post
Kudos to you on all the savings... One thing I'm just not sure about your blending is, do you know if the lower grade octane and higher grade octane gas mix by itself? I don't know chemistry of gasoline very well so not sure if there is density differences and what not that could cause one to sink and other to float or if you just pump them in, is it first in-first out or will somehow mix by itself?

Nothing wrong with saving $ though. I stretch my dollar quite a bit like you (with credit card cashback %, etc).
Gasoline is a mixture of dozens of chemicals. The various grades likely have the same chemicals, just in differing proportions. So, mixing would work.

Most fuel pumps have three hoses: in from the tank, out to the fuel injectors, and back to the tank. They maintain a fixed pressure, regardless of the fuel needed by the injectors. To facilitate maintaining a constant pressure, some of the fuel is always returned to the tank. That makes the fuel pump a mixer as well as a pump.

I used to pump in my 87 AKI first, figuring that the first 93 AKI I pump in would mix better with it. But, by pumping 93 AKI last, I'm leaving some in the hose for the next guy, and my first 93 AKI bought is most likely really 87 AKI left in the hose between the gas pump and the nozzle.. So, now I pump in my 93 AKI first. I'm still getting cheated on the first 93 AKI I pump, since it's likely 87 AKI left over from the previous sale. But, when I pump my 87 AKi last, I'm getting the first part of that as 93 AKI. So, I'm breaking even in getting all the 93 AKI I paid for.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-27-2018, 02:23 PM
Doug Huffman's Avatar
Doug Huffman Doug Huffman is online now
Nuclear engineer
Location: Washington Island, Wisconsin, thru Death's Door
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 12,468
Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateboi87 View Post
...do you know if the lower grade octane and higher grade octane gas mix by itself? I don't know chemistry of gasoline very well so not sure if there is density differences and what not that could cause one to sink and other to float or if you just pump them in, is it first in-first out or will somehow mix by itself?
Octane rating is controlled by varying the concentration of the cheapest of MTBE, ETBE, isooctane, or toluene. Tetraethyl lead was primarily used until it was banned.

So they mix perfectly.
__________________
Scepticism and Animal Faith (1923)
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-27-2018, 02:28 PM
karateboi87 karateboi87 is offline
Registered User
Location: Chicago, IL
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 18
Mein Auto: E90 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Octane rating is controlled by varying the concentration of the cheapest of MTBE, ETBE, isooctane, or toluene. Tetraethyl lead was primarily used until it was banned.

So they mix perfectly.
Then I believe his method makes perfect sense. People tend to get overly concerned with octane... it's just to prevent engine knocking/pinging from my understanding. Of course you want to make sure you eliminate those things but going higher octane isn't gonna do much unless your engine is tuned to use higher octane.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-27-2018, 02:39 PM
titomi titomi is offline
Registered User
Location: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 35
Mein Auto: Toyota Yaris
Can OP share also his fuel consumption? I see,you have 30i, which I order too, so wandering, what the real consumption is.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-27-2018, 05:26 PM
Autoputzer Autoputzer is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NW Floriduh
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 8,362
Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Ethanol is also an octane booster and an oxygenator (bringing oxygen into the combustion process to improve emissions before the oxygen sensors are heated up and working properly). The problem is that ethanol has only about 2/3's the energy density of gasoline.

A lot of states have banned MTBE for environmental reasons, because it mixes with water and is difficult to clean up after a gasoline spill or tank leak.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-27-2018, 08:51 PM
FCBayernFTW's Avatar
FCBayernFTW FCBayernFTW is online now
Extended Euro Delivery
Location: Bayern, Deutschland
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,303
Mein Auto: '18 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
Can OP share also his fuel consumption? I see,you have 30i, which I order too, so wandering, what the real consumption is.


I have to reset it and drive some. I havenít done that since break-in period was completed.

Give me a week




Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk
__________________
-2015 BMW ///M4 Austin Yellow (sold)
-2017 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring Soul Red Premium
-2018 BMW X3 xDrive30i Phytonic Blue Metallic - ZCV, ZDA, ZPK, ZPP, ZPX

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-28-2018, 02:39 AM
titomi titomi is offline
Registered User
Location: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 35
Mein Auto: Toyota Yaris
Ou.. I thought you have your car longer (just now I see itīs just nearly 2 months), so you can tell from regular driving, not form break-in. No rush than.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-15-2018, 09:36 PM
Autoputzer Autoputzer is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NW Floriduh
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 8,362
Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
X3 30i: We did our weekly "saddle up and ride into town" trip tonight. It was 34 miles, half with the AC running. We made four stops on the trip. Our trip mileage was 31.5 OBC MPG (on-board computer MPG). At our second stop, the gas mileage was 34.0 MPG. The car-truck only had 958 miles on it when we started out tonight.

Every other week we go over to the next patch of civilization, about a 60 mile round trip. Going over two weeks ago with AC we got 33.0 MPG. Coming back without AC, we got 35.0 MPG.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 04-15-2018 at 09:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-16-2018, 08:24 PM
Autoputzer Autoputzer is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NW Floriduh
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 8,362
Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
I did another run into town tonight: 32 miles of suburban driving with light traffic, no AC, and just one stop. I drive efficiently, slowing down early when I see that I'm going to be stopping, etc. One the second tank, the "gas pump" MPG was 1.5% less than the on-board computer (OBC) MPG. So, it's reasonable to assume that my 36.4 OBC MPG tonight might really be "just" 35.8 MPG.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180416 trip computer 2018 bmw x3.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	789732  
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-16-2018, 09:32 PM
AndroidRobot AndroidRobot is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 298
Mein Auto: G05 X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
I did another run into town tonight: 32 miles of suburban driving with light traffic, no AC, and just one stop. I drive efficiently, slowing down early when I see that I'm going to be stopping, etc. One the second tank, the "gas pump" MPG was 1.5% less than the on-board computer (OBC) MPG. So, it's reasonable to assume that my 36.4 OBC MPG tonight might really be "just" 35.8 MPG.
The best tank so far in my M40i has been 21.54MPG (calculated not from the trip computer). I guess the 75mph speed limits. Usually, a short trip, driving normally averages 22-23mpg with mixed driving, hwy only is 20-25mpg depending on my speed.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-17-2018, 05:47 PM
Autoputzer Autoputzer is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NW Floriduh
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 8,362
Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
I made two X3 runs today. The first one was in our area with three stops, averaging 12 MPH: 18.8 OBC MPG, 18.5 MPG with a -1.5% correction factor. The second one was over to Chic-fil-A (one stop), averaging 25 MPH: 30.1 OBC MPG, 29.6 MPG with a -1.5% correction factor.

My F10 535i and Chevy Cobalt are now gas hogs. That's amazing considering the X3 is slightly heavier than the 535i and has AWD.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180417a 2018 bmw x3 30i obc mpg.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	789874   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180417b 2018 bmw x3 30i obc mpg.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	789876  
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-23-2018, 07:10 AM
aclockwrk aclockwrk is offline
Registered User
Location: Nj
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: X5
7.5 months and 13,200 miles on the M40i. Averaging 23.1 over the past 6,000 miles and it's driven very spirited.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-23-2018, 10:37 AM
slick316 slick316 is offline
Registered User
Location: Oklahoma
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 90
Mein Auto: 2018 X3 M40i
Purchased on 3/25/18 and currently have 6700 miles.

Fuel consumption in the city isn't great (19mpg) but highway is good (26-27mpg).

Average so far is 22.3mpg.
__________________
Former: 2012 BMW 550xi M Sport, 2015 Corvette Stingray Z51 Coupe, 2017 Mercedes E300 4Matic

Present: 2018 BMW X3 M40i
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-23-2018, 02:03 PM
titomi titomi is offline
Registered User
Location: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 35
Mein Auto: Toyota Yaris
Any news from you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCBayernFTW View Post
I have to reset it and drive some. I havenít done that since break-in period was completed.

Give me a week




Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-23-2018, 02:04 PM
FCBayernFTW's Avatar
FCBayernFTW FCBayernFTW is online now
Extended Euro Delivery
Location: Bayern, Deutschland
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,303
Mein Auto: '18 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
Any news from you?

Iím back in the states the rest of the month.

It itís hovering around 23mpg


Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk
__________________
-2015 BMW ///M4 Austin Yellow (sold)
-2017 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring Soul Red Premium
-2018 BMW X3 xDrive30i Phytonic Blue Metallic - ZCV, ZDA, ZPK, ZPP, ZPX

Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-23-2018, 04:53 PM
AndroidRobot AndroidRobot is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 298
Mein Auto: G05 X5 50i
3 months old, 4500 miles. 21mpg avg thus far, lowest was 17.5mpg and the highest was 28.5mpg.
__________________
2018 Audi SQ5 Navarra Blue/Rotor Grey Totaled
2018 BMW X3 M40i Pythonic Blue/Cognac Sold
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo
G05 X5 50i Review
G01 X3 M40i/MKII Audi SQ5 Comparison
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-23-2018, 07:32 PM
Autoputzer Autoputzer is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NW Floriduh
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 8,362
Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Meticulous record keeping has shown that my actual ("gas pump") MPG is 4.25% less than indicated on the On Board and Trip Computer read-outs.

We drove over to the next patch of civilization up the coast and back last night, 28 miles each way. Going over, we had a slight head wind, were carrying maybe 300 pounds of coffee grounds, and there was some commuter traffic that triggered a few more stoplights than on our return trip. Even factoring in the computer error, we got 28.9 MPG going over, and 33.1 MPG coming back. On the return leg, we did the last four or five miles along the scenic coastal road (35 MPH speed limit) instead of the US highway (55 MPH speed limit).

We were low on gas before the trip, but in a hurry. I calculated that we'd burned 14.5 gallons out of the 17.2 gallon tank (by re-setting the On Board MPG and trip odometer at the last fill-up, and factoring in the 4.25% error in the OBC MPG). When we got home, I calculated we'd burned 16.5 gallons, confirmed when I bought gas this morning.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 G01 (2018 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.