BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

X5 E70 CCC upgrade to 10.25" Android

410K views 1K replies 143 participants last post by  adrezs69 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my 1st post in this forum. I thought of contributing just in case it helps other owners who owns an X5 with the older headunit CCC or non navigation.

I own a 2007 x5 e70. The screen is a 6.5", no navigation, no bluetooth headunit. I have noticed that if the screen is a 6.5" it doesn't come with navigation feature (correct me if I'm wrong) this is just based on multiple car ads that I saw.

I was planning to retrofit the CIC headunit with an updated idrive knob. After doing some research, the cheapest set that I can get on eBay is around $1200 USD (8" screen) but others have spent up to $3000+.

I thought of buying an aftermarket radio ($450 USD) for e70 but I only found 1 review and it was terrible.

Then I saw the 10.25" screen for the E70. All of the ads that I saw based from different store requires 2011 and above. I have contacted one of them and they say it is because of the CIC requirement. I told one of the store that I will remove the screen so that I can take a photo and they can confirm if it will work or not.

I took a photo of the 2 cables and multiple sellers confirmed that it will work as long as I pick the CCC version. There was no ad for the CCC version when I first enquire. Below are the cables. The one of the left is the important cable (10-pin F-type cable) this is the cable that you will need to connect to the new screen.

I spent 4 hours installing the radio. Below is what it looks like now: Upgrading from a 6.5" with no navigation and no bluetooth to this 10.25" android radio was an awesome upgrade! The 10.25" totaly changes the interior.

I can still access the idrive info, rear camera works ok. I did unplugged the rear camera from the original source and plug it to socket of the new screen. The only issue is that the idrive knob doesn't work on the android but I can live with that for now considering what my previous setup was. I can just use touch screen. I was thinking of upgrading the knob, unfortunately it is not plug and play on the X5 unlike in other models. Also, the upgraded knob might work only for CIC model.

I am not affiliated with any store. I am just trying to share the information that I gather after few months of research in finding a cost/effective radio upgrade for my x5 e70.

I purchased this from eBay just search for the word Yokotron, it is one of the store that rebranded the screen. There's 2 version one for CCC (2007-2010) and CIC (2011-2013)

Main Features that I like:
1. 10.25" screen! It looks like the F15 radio and mimics the looks of the idrive 5.

2. Full Android - I was able to download and use 3 navigation apps. Google Maps, iGo and Waze. No need to worry about dealer navigation updates for those who own built-in nav.

Waze!

Google Maps

iGo

3. Rear camera - works great with the factory camera or you can buy an OEM camera. The green line guide moves along with the steering.

4. DVR - dashcam (I will be purchasing a camera with built-in sd card slot for this - I will share once I have it installed)

Boot up logo

I have also purchased this magnetic mount and micro keyboard. I will have this mounted beside the radio. The touchpad will be my replacement for the idrive knob when in Android mode. This is also nice for typing address when using a navigation app. It keeps your screen clean from fingerprints and for less than $15 both that is a steal :)

All the buttons on the steering wheel works ok.

The sound quality is still the same to the factory as the sound is driven by the original headunit. I have to plug the middle speaker to the cord of the new screen.

Total cost: $720 AUD including shipping.

I hope this helps others who have the old radio.

See less See more
#967 ·
I have used the Yokotron 10.25 versions for a few years, however recently the unit became stuck on the bmw logo screen and will not move forward. I can access the original BMW iDrive with zero issues but the android unit is frozen. Please Help!

If you have access to the new software/hardware please share.

#970 ·
I have used the Yokotron 10.25 versions for a few years, however recently the unit became stuck on the bmw logo screen and will not move forward. I can access the original BMW iDrive with zero issues but the android unit is frozen. Please Help!

If you have access to the new software/hardware please share.
You will need to basically need to do a recovery with a USB drive. You will most likely need to get the recovery software/programs from Yokotron then.

An update.

I've tried few Startup Manager apps & ended up using AutoStart which is free. Now I can just put my iPhone on a wireless charger & start the car. Wait for about a minute, CarPlay will auto run.

I notice the Android boot sequence includes trying Bluetooth connection & few other stuff. I guess I have to root the unit in order to disable some of those apps to speed up boot time before running CarPlay. I need to look into it.
Good luck with rooting...no admin password. But if you do get it going, please share. BTW, where do you place the wireless charger and which charger are you using?

#969 ·
An update.

I've tried few Startup Manager apps & ended up using AutoStart which is free. Now I can just put my iPhone on a wireless charger & start the car. Wait for about a minute, CarPlay will auto run.

I notice the Android boot sequence includes trying Bluetooth connection & few other stuff. I guess I have to root the unit in order to disable some of those apps to speed up boot time before running CarPlay. I need to look into it.

#973 ·
Quick question - my head unit died in my 2013 X5d.

Will the android unit work with the head unit being dead? Right now I have no radio, iDrive, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Can your iDrive at least boot up? At minimum, you need to switch audio to AUX for the Android side to have sound!

The Android unit makes iDrive & Android coexist with the T-joint cable. To get sound, the Android side tap into AUX input of iDrive.

I hope it's clear to you now.

#977 ·
For those who worry about routing AUX cable under the center console, I have a tip for you.

I've learnt from a full X5 center console teardown video in Youtube. The console frame has opening on both sides. To route an AUX cable, we only need to remove 2 things: 1) AUX/USB plastic plate inside armrest; 2) lower front side panel of center console (with a screw only).

To prevent cable pinching, I file a small notch on the AUX/USB plastic plate so that the AUX cable can go through & plug in place.

#987 ·
Does the FM Launch app actually work for anyone on here? Or is it not activated?

Also, my Sygic maps doesn't work anymore- can't seem to pass the "detecting country" part after i reinstalled. My X5 didn't come with GPS so I'm using the Avin GPS antenna... Anyone have this issue?

#993 ·
Photo of wiring harness

Hi All,

Had my X5 in for an airbag recall - got it back and no more audio from the android head unit, not happy!

Proceeded to take everything apart and the cables at the back of the unit were super tight, 3 of the pins have come out of the connector.

Can someone please share a photo of the connector and what order the wires are in?

https://imgur.com/a/rwPCf4G

Thanks in advance.

#994 ·
So after much digging on YouTube i found an installation guide with a photo of the harness.

I'm inclined to believe this is direct AUX out from the Android HU that just gets connected into the harness further down with 3.5mm.

My audio quality is 100% fine with AUX to the centre console, however this information may help someone fix their problems.

#1,000 ·
No help, but I have the same issue. I've tried home wi-fi and my phone as a hotspot with no success. Sometimes you can find the apk of an app oniine, and save to and load from USB.

What Android version is yours, mine is 4.4 so is pretty laggy in the first place.

#1,006 ·
CCC radio upgrade no signal - please help

I upgraded the system to a CCC on a 2009 X5.

Android system works until I try to revert to the existing system for reverse camera or previous controls and service information.

This does become active by plugging in the no longer needed power back into the original screen, displaying on both the original and the new one.

This remains even when removing the power to the original screen, however when I restart the engine it drops off to no signal again.

Has anyone experienced this and know a fix please?

Cheers
Simon

#1,007 ·
Filks, looking for input on this system as I am considering as an update for my CIC equipped X5 35i Base 2011.

Koason E70 E71 (2011-2013) 4+32G 10.25" Screen Monitor Android 9.0 Auto Video Media Player GPS Navigation for BMW X5 X6 X5M X6M Multimedia Headunit CIC https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YJKNKMD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_BZ-ZEbXB77466

Here are the questions I have;
My front seats have heat distribution adjustment that is managed thru the CIC system. Anyone know if that type of functionality is retained? Thinking of vent heat/cold distribution as well...

I am one of those that has downloaded over 250 music CDs into the HD in the car. Anyone with experience to tell of the HD is still accessible via the Android unit?

To those that have done the update, how hard is the job?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1,009 ·
X5 E70 CCC upgrade to 10.25" Android

Hi sunny, I started reading from the first post but then realized they are from 3 years ago and picture links no longer work. I realize there are newer responses as well... guess I will have to comb thru.

The product description on Amazon is vague, and half the time incorrect based on purchase experiences.

Edit: do you know the answers to the questions I asked by any chance?

#1,015 ·
Hi,

I've been thinking about purchasing and installing this on my 2009 X5 E70 (CCC), however I do have some questions.

One of the control units in my car, which is situation within the rear quarter panel, was damaged due to water leaking from the sunroof.
Therefore some of the functions are no longer working and these include:
  • Auxiliary audio input
  • Bluetooth
  • TV
  • Reverse Camera
The Radio (AM/FM), parking sensors and SatNav is still working.

I was wondering how many of the currently non-functioning feature would be replacing by the Android Auto unit.

If those faulty feature are covered by installing the Android Auto unit then I can avoid having to replace the water damaged module and will make my decision to purchase the Android unit a simple one.

Thanks in advance,
John.

#1,021 ·
Hello fellow bimmers!
First time posting... hopefully someone can assist me in my search for an answer as AVIN, hasn’t been upfront or helpful yet.
I have a 2009 CIC E70... with updated Android unit. However, I am unable to adjust the screen brightness in the OEM side, which sits at 50% and will not adjust up (or down for that matter). Even when Android brightness is at 100%, the OEM side is to dimmed.
AVIN appears to be dancing around my issue. Has anyone else experienced this issue and found a workaround? Thanking you all in advance.

#1,022 ·
Hi guys. I’ve updated my 2011 cic x5 with one of the systems locally available running android 9. There is however one prominent problem. I’m getting a “Level control system failure” after installing the system. I’m attaching the images of the codes that pop up because of the same. Any help would be appreciated. I think there is some wiring issue that needs to he resolved.

Attachments

#1,023 ·
Hi guys. I've updated my 2011 cic x5 with one of the systems locally available running android 9. There is however one prominent problem. I'm getting a "Level control system failure" after installing the system. I'm attaching the images of the codes that pop up because of the same. Any help would be appreciated. I think there is some wiring issue that needs to he resolved.
Did you figure this out? I believe that's due to the original display not being there. I have the same error and all works fine.

#1,025 ·
First post here but I just installed in my 2009. Makes the car feel almost brand new!
Rear camera cable run from lift gate wasn’t too bad either, popped a few trim pieces off and ran in headliner to A Pilar and down, pulled side panel of dash and it was a straight shot to wire harness.

#1,027 ·
Looks good.
Do you have pictures of the wiring from the liftgate/rear camera to the body of the vehicle?
Yes! Here’s a few. I realized I didn’t get one at the top of the gate. But there I pulled the rubber boot back from lift gate and veh body, ran a long zip-tie through, and e-taped the cable to it to pull through, and then into headliner to front. White line is right below my path, which basically follows vehicles original wire path anyway. I’ll grab another shot tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.