Best aftermarket head unit and slow boot problem - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 11-26-2019, 12:53 AM

Mein Auto:
Best aftermarket head unit and slow boot problem

Hi, so I am looking for the best(build quality, reliability, fast boot, and newest operating system) e39 android head unit. What would be the most reputable brands to choose from? (I would really appreciate if you could list all of the known ones with pros and cos so that at the end of the day I could choose the one that fit me the best because there could be one thing I could compromise over the other where most people wouldn't). P.S don't recommend the ones that are just a tablet without any buttons, because I like controlling audio and quickly switching between radio stations with physical buttons.

And the second thing of this post - solving the insane slow boot time of android aftermarket head units. I know that the only way of solving this with some kind of "sleep" function, where the unit never shuts down but goes to sleep. But that requires constant flowing power to the unit. I feel like a couple of years ago when I was doing some research on head units I found a solution to this, but now I can't find anything on this. Maybe you guys have experience with this or heard someone else resolving this problem?

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2019, 06:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E39 520i
Ever considered leaving the E39 as it is and just buying a good mobile smartphone external sound unit like people bring to the beach?

I would try that before ever changing what is on the E39.

Than again, mine is the 6 CD version... Maybe there are some versions that could use an upgrade.

REPEAT: I would try external solutions that connect to your smartphone before ever changing what is on the E39.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:53 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbo View Post
Ever considered leaving the E39 as it is and just buying a good mobile smartphone external sound unit like people bring to the beach?.
Not really sure what exactly you are suggesting, but I'm certainly not interested in any external accessories. That would just look clunky, out of place and ruin the sleek interior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2019, 02:47 PM

Mein Auto:
Mark,
My MIDI had so many burn out pixalsI couldn't read half the info. I pulled it ou along with the CD place and install an android unit. I got the Eonon unit off EBay. Fits perfectly, looks great. Has GPS/ nav, CD, aux, etc inputs. Comes with a 525i specific wiring harness that is perfect. I even added back up camera . Can't remember the OS it's using. Initial boot up takes a bit, good reason to slow up and let the oil circulate, sleeps for ten minutes after shutdown . Off for longer goes through the whole reboot. Haven't had issues, GPS, Bluetooth radio, cd, internet streaming all work as advertised, for under $300 it was hard to beat
Old 12-01-2019, 01:52 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrogman View Post
Mark,
My MIDI had so many burn out pixalsI couldn't read half the info. I pulled it ou along with the CD place and install an android unit. I got the Eonon unit off EBay. Fits perfectly, looks great. Has GPS/ nav, CD, aux, etc inputs. Comes with a 525i specific wiring harness that is perfect. I even added back up camera . Can't remember the OS it's using. Initial boot up takes a bit, good reason to slow up and let the oil circulate, sleeps for ten minutes after shutdown . Off for longer goes through the whole reboot. Haven't had issues, GPS, Bluetooth radio, cd, internet streaming all work as advertised, for under $300 it was hard to beat
For how long did you have your unit and what's the specific model if it's not to hard to find out? The most common problem I saw from the reviews is that it starts acting up 6 months in.
I do agree that it's good practice for older vehicles to let the car run before driving off, but I rather look trough my playlist for the music I want to listen or set up my directions on Waze by the time the car warms up, rather than just sit there. That is the reason I want to salve this slow boot problem.

I was thinking maybe there is a way to set up an additional external battery pack that charges when the car is running and after the engine, is shut down it powers the unit for 12-24 hours. And if the external battery drains before I use the car again, the unit simply shuts down as it would normally. Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Last edited by MarkTeller; 12-01-2019 at 02:04 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:25 AM

Mein Auto:
Sorry for the delayed response. The specific model I installed is the GA8201A. I believe Eonon has a new ,faster, more capable unit now. Just search for your car version. I has had it installed for a little over 1.5 years. All features still work as advertised. Occasionally it will do something funky, but a reboot corrects the issue. If you really wanted to get the instant on, you could probably wire it to a continuous hot power source. Would be a PITA but should solve the issue, may also give other unknown negative effects. Good luck
Old 12-08-2019, 03:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Hi MarkTeller,

I responded over on the bimmerforums site to your same question posted

I guess you could wire in something like what you are thinking, sods law will also be that any chinese unit you get will have other issues/niggles/problems as well so might be a moot point to be using battery backups etc ! Some purchasers like Phrogman have been lucky/luckier than others with the Eonon and other similar low quality level chinese units, so it's basically down to how lucky you are feeling. If you go the Chinese head unit route, I wish you good luck, else my recommendation would be to buy a proper car audio head unit that is much more capable, better sounding and performing, much more reliable too

Cheers, Dennis!

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
aftermarket head unit, android

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search