BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

N52 - Have a weird sound by the oil filter. Video.

1K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  PIXLFIX 
#1 ·
#10 ·
Yes, it is definitely broken. But the reason it is broken is that the vacuum tube that goes to the brake booster (or at least in that area) for some reason dragging the coupling out of that cable clip. It takes me a good force to "route" the cable on the clip, but it's hard to do so. It's like tube that's going to the booster shrunk and became shorter. So looks like it needs to be replaced too.

#13 ·
I just watched your second video.

First, the blue lift of yours is SWEET!

In the video when you pulled out the old filter, I noticed how bent and crushed all the paper elements were in the filter.

The oil filter gets torqued to 18 ft lbs.

The reason the filter was compressed and crushed is it was over torqued during the last oil change.

Next:

When you unscrewed the oil filter cap and pulled out the oil filter, you also pulled off the black plastic cage that properly aligns the oil filter and seats it properly.

On my oil cap that black plastic cage is not removable. Its part of the cap.

I could be wrong, but I suspect if yours does come off its broken and you need to get another one (which could explain the original noise).

#14 ·
I would not agree though. It wouldn’t matter much if you torque to 17 or 30ft/lbs - the filter element won’t go much lower (therefore wouldn’t compress itself between top and bottom to deform). The outside lip on the plastic filter holder will prevent it. The only thing what makes it different- it will be a pain to unscrew it later.
In regards to the plastic insert - it’s being attached to the cap with the clips. I simply tried to remove the old filter element a bit too passionately and element sat very tight so I accidentally unclipped the center. If you have the same housing take a look on the filter holder. You can remove the center piece if you really want to.

#15 ·
I would not agree though. It wouldn't matter much if you torque to 17 or 30ft/lbs.
Same here, if too much TQ is applied to the filter cap it's not going to crush the filter, the lip on the cap will bottom out on the filter housing before you crush the filter. anyway... last week I blew an oil cooler line on my N54, while under the hood fixing that I observed that same noise that yours made. I changed my oil the other day, so now that I just read this I had to go check, sure enough.. the noise is gone also.:dunno: I guess I'll have to pay more attention in a couple thousand miles and see if it starts making the noise again.

#16 ·
I torque my oil filter cap to 18 ft lbs. When I go to change my oil and remove the oil filter element the oil filter is never compressed and crushed.

OP's filter was compressed and crushed.

You say over torque-ing the oil filter cap doesn't compress and crush the oil filter element. If that is the case, explain how did his oil filter get compressed and crushed?

Next:

Let's identify what element inside the oil filter housing is making the screeching noise. It has to be the black plastic cage that fits inside the oil filter.

In regards to the black plastic cage insert inside the center of the oil filter, that device is assembled at the factory. When I change my oil its never come out on me.

If that part is loose, broken, clips worn or malfunctioning, assembled incorrectly, what we just learned is that black, plastic cage is going to make a screeching noise. What else could the noise be?

#17 ·
You say over torque-ing the oil filter cap doesn't compress and crush the oil filter element. If that is the case, explain how did his oil filter get compressed and crushed?
The TQ is insignificant, the oring is what seals the cap. the TQ spec is for the oring, not the filter. I agree that the cage in the cap doesn't normally come off and if the cage is not seated all the way in the cap maybe some damage could be caused but.. while looking at the filter full screen it looks normal to me. the filter has a slight twisting friction applied as you install the filter into the housing and it gets tight, if it wasn't tight on the top and bottom it wouldn't seal and filter properly. the filter is manufactured with straight pleats, then it's twisted to seat it into place where it spends the next 3000-7500+ miles with hot oil running through it. then it's removed from the housing and the pleats don't straighten all the way back out. That's what I see, that's how my bmw's have looked, my volvo looked and my wifes van's look.
the only filters that I haven't seen do that are the reinforced metal ones in helicopter engines and transmissions.

#18 ·
I see only 3 ways for the oil filter to become crushed. Either the oil filter that was installed is an off brand and is a bit longer than it should be, is of inferior quality or at some point the oil filter cover was replaced with an off brand and it is not quite the exact size. As far as the oil filter cage goes, mine has been loose ever since I can remember and has never made any noise. I also know these cages have been loose on cars that I service and none of them have ever had noise issues, or crushed filters for that matter. I have seen filters become disfigured if left in for too long or when cheap filters have been used. Here is something to think about...... For those of you who take your car in for oil change services, how sure are you that they are using the correct filter? And by correct I don't mean one that just fits but one that is actually manufactured correctly. The reason I bring this up is that all oil filter manufacturers have different levels of filters, gold, silver and platinum lines for example. Each of these lines have different mileage ratings and I can guarantee you that the majority of oil change places choose the cheapest priced filter which also happens to be the lowest mileage rated filter also. When these filters start to go over their mileage rating they start to break down and this is when the filter becomes disfigured. Here is an example of in regards to the oil filter lines https://www.napaonline.com/en/brands/napa-filters/oil-filters I don't mean to pick on Napa, I'm just using them as an example. Now all of these shops stock oil filters and the filters that are normally stocked are the low line ones. This is done to keep your oil change prices low because oil changes are loss leaders for shops.

#19 · (Edited)
One note about crushed filter. Or 2. Ok 3:
- bad filter quality. I didn't notice any markings on the old filter. Like "no-name" thing.
- wasn't replaced on time (it was really hard to remove from the holder).
- when installed - wasn't seated all the way back into the holder therefore sticking out. When holder being screwed into the engine the part that was sticking out compressed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.