BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

"Bouncy" ride on flat surface! Brand new 328i

22K views 78 replies 28 participants last post by  Michael Schott 
#1 ·
Hi, everyone. I am new to the forum and a new first-time BMW owner. I purchased a 2014 328i no-line on December 5. Directly off the lot, the TPM malfunction light came on and was not able to be reset. A little backstory on that. The car had 18" sport rims on them on the lot, they took them off and put factory 17" back on for me because I'm not interested in the 18". So I also noticed a shakey feeling like the tires needed to be balanced, NO BIGGIE. I just told them to make sure they balanced the tires when I dropped the car off to fix the sensors. They ended up keeping the car 3 days and replacing all the sensors and also said they did a road force balance and detect no shaking at this time. So after putting the car back on the highway and even normal city driving, it still feels very bouncy. Not bouncing over potholes or during lane change, but just bouncing kind of in the body of the car. I can feel it in my seats and even see things jiggling in the passenger seat and rear seats. I also feel it in the driver's seat and just feel like my body is subtly bouncing to some degree. (As a female I bounce a little more easily :) ). I checked the tire pressure cold and they were all at 30 psi. I increased them all to 35 (runflats) and I think it made it a little better but still very there. I've done research, and I know coming from an SUV, I will have to get used to road feel. But to my understanding road feel is felt more thru the steering wheel? I've also noticed that VERY slightly going about 50 on certain roads I can see a little of the shaking vibrating in the wheel but it's very minute and unless it gets progressively worse, I don't think that's what's causing the bouncy feeling in the car. Even when the car has that bouncy feeling, the wheel is steady. No tire noise is heard. Any ideas?
Sorry to throw so much out at once!

See less See more
#11 ·
I feel it in the body of the car more so than the steering wheel. Like in my seat, etc. It seems like I'm constantly riding over a road with very small ripples if that makes any sense. If I look down at my hand on my lap or an item sitting in the passenger seat, I can see it bouncing slightly up and down. Not up and down off the seat, just not steady. It gives my body and items in my car the effect of having some sort of trembling if that makes sense. No rough idle, no road noise when driving, no side to side swaying. After riding in the car 30 minutes, it's annoying.

#5 ·
Was the bouncy feel present with the original 18-inch wheels during test drives on highways and surface flat roads? This can be an issue with the new 17-inch(e.g. not mounted right, bent rims, etc, etc). Ask a foreman to take a ride on similar road surfaces and they should be able to pinpoint any issue.

#6 ·
You should ask to test drive another no-line RWD model and see if you notice the same bounciness. If so, you are one of thousands of F3x buyers that was duped into thinking that the "Ultimate Driving Machine" still applied to models with the base suspension.

That being said, I expect you would find the sport suspension equally annoying, albeit for different reasons. It's not "bouncy", but it doesn't in any way isolate you from road imperfections.

#7 ·
Possibly shipping blocks were left in (although those would cause more of a harsh ride), or you need an alignment. Take it back in before you put too many miles on it as I believe there's only a very small window to get alignment issues corrected under warranty.

Also ask to take a similar model out for a test drive, or get a loaner that matches your car so you can compare. You may also want to request a test drive with a tech to describe and demonstrate the issue with him sitting next to you while it's happening.

To another poster's question - the base suspension to me has very little vibration. It's floaty over undulations but otherwise it's a pretty comfortable ride. Not really what the OP is describing.

#8 ·
Even a base '14 328 with 17" factory wheels and RFTs should 'feel' very 'taut' - especially compared to your (any) SUV. But it's difficult to understand what you mean by "bouncy" ... is it like a trampoline ?? Does the car continue to move up and down after hitting road imperfections ?? Is the "bounce" up and down - or side to side?? Take your dealer's service manager for a ride ... let him / her drive it ... to experience what you're describing.

#15 ·
How many miles on your car? It takes a few hundred miles for tires to 'settle in.' SUV's tend to very floaty so it may be the BIG transition that is unsettling you. More to the point, how is road feel when you are driving in a sporty manner? Does the car feel planted and happy?

#16 ·
UPDATE: Took the car to the dealer today without an appointment because I just couldn't deal. Had 2 other people drive my car over the last week and they didn't seem to feel what I felt. So I let the foreman test drive with me and he definitely felt what I was talking about in the passenger seat. He said he felt the bouncy shaking in the seat and thru the floor. Very pronounced starting at 70 and even up into 90s mph (didn't hit 100.) The service advisor made me an appointment so they will be putting on a new set of tires on Monday because they think its def the tires! So hopefully this will be the fix. The tire warranty for alignments and all that he said is 2,000. I have 700 thus far.

#19 ·
As they 'balance' the new tires with their Hunter 'road force' machine, insist that they record these two pieces of information that this machine provides (and give it to you):

1. "Total indicated reading - TIR" (radial force variation)
2. 1st radial harmonic...

...of EACH TIRE.

It will be something like this: left front tire = 45 lbs. 'TIR", 28 lbs. 1st radial harmonic, etc.

I'll compare the readings to other OE 'maximum' acceptable levels for ride quality (GM, Ford, Toyota, others) according to their service bulletins. :angel:

#18 ·
Hi, everyone. I am new to the forum and a new first-time BMW owner. I purchased a 2014 328i no-line on December 5. Directly off the lot, the TPM malfunction light came on and was not able to be reset. A little backstory on that. The car had 18" sport rims on them on the lot, they took them off and put factory 17" back on for me because I'm not interested in the 18". So I also noticed a shakey feeling like the tires needed to be balanced, NO BIGGIE. I just told them to make sure they balanced the tires when I dropped the car off to fix the sensors. They ended up keeping the car 3 days and replacing all the sensors and also said they did a road force balance and detect no shaking at this time. So after putting the car back on the highway and even normal city driving, it still feels very bouncy. Not bouncing over potholes or during lane change, but just bouncing kind of in the body of the car. I can feel it in my seats and even see things jiggling in the passenger seat and rear seats. I also feel it in the driver's seat and just feel like my body is subtly bouncing to some degree. (As a female I bounce a little more easily :) ). I checked the tire pressure cold and they were all at 30 psi. I increased them all to 35 (runflats) and I think it made it a little better but still very there. I've done research, and I know coming from an SUV, I will have to get used to road feel. But to my understanding road feel is felt more thru the steering wheel? I've also noticed that VERY slightly going about 50 on certain roads I can see a little of the shaking vibrating in the wheel but it's very minute and unless it gets progressively worse, I don't think that's what's causing the bouncy feeling in the car. Even when the car has that bouncy feeling, the wheel is steady. No tire noise is heard. Any ideas?
Sorry to throw so much out at once!
What size 18" came off and what size 17" went on?

Does your owner's manual show a 17" option for your car? If so, what is the psi recommendation. Seems that you're 'winging it' for the correct psi.

Did the dealership balance the tires with a Hunter 'Road Force' balancer? If so, what were the 'road force' readings of the individual tires or did they bother to tell you?

#22 · (Edited)
The OP also mentioned vibration in the steering wheel at 50 MPH. I also had this issue on my 2014 no-line. I had the dealer do a road force balance and a rotation and the issue was still there. However, with 4600 miles on the car now the vibration is all but gone. In my opinion, the RFTs, or at least the Pirellis, may go slightly out of shape when sitting on the dealer's lot for a long time without being driven.

#24 ·
I noticed it a few times at 50 mph but it never lasts long and didn't do it on test drive even on smooth surfaces. The few times I did see it, it wasn't side to side wheel turning like i've seen in some videos. Just a few mm to the left and right and not detectable on video. But I did tell them and document that as well "just in case." :bigpimp:

#27 ·
Sounds like a wheel balance issue to me.

#28 ·
UPDATE: Car was returned to me today! They replaced the wheels with 4 brand new tires and during balance noticed that one did not balance (so 5 new tires ;)) They said it was probably flat spots on some of the other tires. The car drives so much better now! No shaking or bouncy ride. I had a 10 minute interstate drive on the way home from work (the delivered it to me) and notice no problems. I'll be putting it on the interstate for 1.5 hours on Christmas and hopefully it will still be a smooth ride!

Thanks you guys!

#29 ·
Good to hear of a positive outcome. After hearing all these stories (including mine) of vibrations, shimmys, etc., I have come to believe that the RFTs just do not like to be sitting in the same position for extensive lengths of time. They seem to lose shape quite easily.

#31 ·
And the very next day after getting the vehicle back, I get a flat tire to the right rear!! :mad: Only drove it 10 miles home when they delivered it to me and 10 miles back to work the next morning. Flat when I got out of work on Christmas Eve with BMW being closed until Friday morning. Joy joy.

#32 ·
They replaced the passenger rear tire and balanced it. Now my steering wheel is visibly vibrating side to side at 50 (i also feel the vibrating with my hands on the wheel at 50) and my passenger seat is vibrating like crazy. I feel the bouncy feeling again at certain speeds. I called 10 mins after leaving the lot and the service advisor said the wheel shaking is the electronic steering doing that because my hands are off the wheel (didn't tell him I'd done a lot of research about the infamous vibrating wheel) and to just bring the car back and they'd give me a loaner. I told him no, I want to keep it for once because I was already on my way out of town to see my family since I missed Christmas with him. Told him I'd make an appt within 3 days. Called my salesman and told him I was not satisfied at this point. Car has been with them more than it has been with me and I need something else other than their promises to keep fixing. Planning to go have a sit down with the sales manager on Monday to see about further options.

Am I jumping the gun?? I dont understand how it's just the tires causing all these problems! All the tires they put on are brand new and balanced with no bent rims on a brand new car!

#41 · (Edited)
I doesn't make sense that a rear tire would cause steering wheel vibration...nor does the service advisor's explanation make any sense.

Nevertheless, did you ask what the 'road force' reading was of the passenger rear tire was? :dunno: You are in here seeking some advice from forum members who might have some experience in this area, right?

#33 ·
What brand are they? I have 87500 on a combined 2 sets of continental contact run flats and driven well over 100 miles per hour with no vibration at all. Either you have an incompetent dealer or the brand of tires they are using have a huge defective run. I am thinking the person trying to balance the tires hasn't got a clue.

#34 ·
Dealer service advisors don't always breed confidence ... we'd like to think that they live and breath BMW (ala Apple geniuses etc etc) however that is simply / definitely not the case.

So if I were you:

When you have time - call your dealer & tell them you're bringing the car @ such & such time and want a mechanic to go on a 10 min drive with you and/or the sales advisor. Once everyone in on board that there is a 'real' issue give them an opportunity to fix it (once & for all).

Next: go to a good tire place (yelp will help) and see if they can fix it ... sometimes it takes an outside person etc to figure out. Eat the bill (if it doesn't require new tires)
and move on.

Next: call BMW - be polite and firm and demand resolution. When I say polite that means don't act like a fool & be rude ... gets you nothing.

Good luck.

#35 ·
Dealer service advisors don't always breed confidence ... we'd like to think that they live and breath BMW (ala Apple geniuses etc etc) however that is simply / definitely not the case.

So if I were you:

When you have time - call your dealer & tell them you're bringing the car @ such & such time and want a mechanic to go on a 10 min drive with you and/or the sales advisor. Once everyone in on board that there is a 'real' issue give them an opportunity to fix it (once & for all).

Next: go to a good tire place (yelp will help) and see if they can fix it ... sometimes it takes an outside person etc to figure out. Eat the bill (if it doesn't require new tires)
and move on.

Next: call BMW - be polite and firm and demand resolution. When I say polite that means don't act like a fool & be rude ... gets you nothing.

Good luck.
X2 . You do need this situation corrected quickly. Fix it and turn it over to Corporate.

#42 ·
Yes, OP should check tire pressure for all tires, especially the newly replaced one. You never know if the tech follow the recommended psi or not.

I recently got my passenger side back tire patched by a tire shop. I specifically told the technician I want 35 psi, he put in 38 psi anyway.

I got my other vehicle to the dealer for regular serviice a few months ago and my SUV was marked having 32 psi each, but actually none were checked and all were under inflated and below 29 psi. :mad:

#46 ·
Every time our 43 foot motorhome shook it was out of alignment. You would ask how a brand new $350000 diesel RV could come off the line crooked but apparently when the home is attached to the Spartan chassis they have to re calibrate the alignment.
Just because it's a bmw doesn't mean they are perfectly straight.
Insist on a four corner assessment. Esp for x drive. You can play with the wheels all day but if the alignment is off a few degrees you will never stop the shaking.
Just my two cents.

#50 ·
UPDATE:

So, after having the flat tire and getting the new tire, the car had the shaking/vibrating throughout the floor and seats. Took it back to them and had a foreman ride with me to let him feel the problem. Returned to me after 2 days. I still feel like I'm "riding on blocks" at lower speeds, especially for the first few miles at a lower speed. And feel a methodical thump in the steering wheel at faster speeds. New issue is that my steering wheel feels like it has more play in it! I can move it side to side about an inch or so without it moving the car (more pronounced at lower speeds but still does it at highway speeds.) Spinning the wheel more to make small normal turns. Wheel does not feel tight as it did before. When changing lanes or going over grooves, I feel like the car is "throwing" me a bit. I have to compensate by moving the wheel left to right slightly when on a straight road. Called all the salesmen (general manager included) and they basically say bring it back in AGAIN (after 4 visits.) Called BMWNA and spoke with someone about my issues on this brand new car that I have yet to make the first payment on. Waiting to hear from him soon! :(

Car currently have 1770 miles on it. 2014 BMW 328i - no line.

#53 ·
I wouldn't tolerate an eighth of an inch of deviation in steering on a brand new car. Tell them either they align it for starters or you will and shove the bill up their a**.
Maybe it isn't the alignment but have they put it on a lift and evaluated the front end?
Not just the alignment but the entire front half. They are merely putting you off and you have a brand new car that drives terrible!!
Have you gotten nasty yet?
Sometimes you have to involve others. Attract attention in the service area and sales floor. You expect diligence and courtesy but are not receiving it. Make some calls to corporate, get names and threaten to write letters. You are way too nice.

#54 ·
Made a lot of calls the last 2 days including BMWNA and told them exactly what I wanted which is out of this car and into a different car. Bmwna rep called back today and I told him I would lemon the car if they dont do something to fix the situation. Dealer called me today as well saying that they have a factory trained BMW tech coming and they want him to get my vehicle and work with it personally. Even after bmw na and dealer told me that, I was firm with what I want. Whether I'll get that or not, who knows? I've told them MY options firmly without making a scene but I dont think that qualifies me as being too nice.

They are wanting to keep working on it. Which, to me, they aren't pushing me off, I've just had enough of them trying and failing. So, I'm pushing for trade, buy back, or lemon. Whichever comes first.

They're basically pleading to have that tech get my car, though. Should I do that anyway while pushing for my trade is my real question at this point?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.