BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Saying thanks

2K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  CTSoxFan 
#1 ·
Just wanted to give a shout out and say thanks to David P and Michael B who have helped me (and many of us) with information, and a special shout out to Greg P, who I just picked up my wifes X3 M40i from.

My experience on the pickup is in the dealer rating section.

here is a pic of my better, half, greg and I on pickup of the car:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Luxury vehicle

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks you guys!

#12 ·
Congrats JJ! Love the color and wheels! Greg is the best!

#9 ·
Congrats on the new wheels!

#13 ·
Really appreciate the well wishes from everyone! I could post my impressions over at the X3 forum, but it would say the same thing almost everyone else is saying about it. Its a heck of a car, and BMW really "killed it" with this one.

Note: I did not drive, or even consider, the new X5 for two reasons. Reason 1 was, wife wanted smaller size vehicle. Reason 2 is, given the "new" pricing, it would have been out of my price range with my desired features. Very hard to go backwards once you get used to certain options, and I tend to like highly optioned cars.

So, I have no idea how the new X5 compares to the new X3, but comparing the new X3 to the F15 X5, I believe the X3 is a clear winner in everything but size. I dont even miss the multi contour seats (but do not have ventilated seats in the X3, just like I didnt in the X5 it replaced, due to them being less comfortable than non ventilated seats.

I dont even mind the active sound design.. it enhances the driving experience to me, because the car is pretty darn quiet, and very well built. The difference in this regard to my tesla is pretty striking (just from a feeling substantial, well built etc) point of view.

My tesla is fine, but there definitely is a difference in BMW build quality vs that car, and having both in my garage makes it easy to see that difference. Dont get me wrong, my Tesla drives amazing, and I havent had issues some owners have, but do get little quirks etc that goes with any new tech.

Anyhow, enough of that... lol

#22 ·
Add in the $800 I spent for a tune and I don't think the additional price is justified (purely my opinion and obviously based on my financial situation).
BMW has all-new ECU software to detect tunes as told to me personally by a BMW NA field tech. Too many warranty claims suspected to be caused by tunes, especially with the M3/M4 platform with the spun crank hub S55. Hopefully, the B58/S58 has fixed that, as the ZF transmission should be able to handle your tune. BTW the X3M comp is rated at 503 HP, is overkill for most people. Initial builds will be close to MRSP (depending win your CA relationship), but with the impressive X3 M40 is an option, highly doubt that pricing such as the M2 MRSP will hold long term after the initial order wave.

M's have most options/packages standard, as X3M has Vernasca leather standard ($1,700 X3 M40 option) where as X3M comp is standard extended Merino leather. Other standards are:
Harman Kardon surround sound audio system ($875 X3 M40)
Navigation with Apple Car Play compatibility ($1,700 X3 M40)
M Sport Differential ($1,300)
Adaptive M Suspension ($700)

Net $6,275 X3 M40 standards.

X3M options are:
Driving Assistance Plus Package
Executive Package (heated steering wheel, heated front and rear seats, parking assistant plus, head-up display, wireless charging, WiFi hotspot and gesture control)

The tune to accomplish the X3M numbers is not available via Dinan, as this would have to be at least a Stage II to add 188 HP/ 73 lb-ft. Reason for Dinan is the warranty coverage.

The B58 in the X3 M40 is impressive, as I'm sure its a blast to drive especially when optioned with the M Sport Differential & Adaptive M Suspension. My only seat time in the X3 M40 was driving from the PC over to BMW Manufacturing during my F83 PCD pick-up (December 2017).

The X3 M40 is a well designed and engineered. Hope you are all enjoying:)

#23 ·
BMW has all-new ECU software to detect tunes as told to me personally by a BMW NA field tech. Too many warranty claims suspected to be caused by tunes, especially with the M3/M4 platform with the spun crank hub S55. Hopefully, the B58/S58 has fixed that, as the ZF transmission should be able to handle your tune. BTW the X3M comp is rated at 503 HP, is overkill for most people. Initial builds will be close to MRSP (depending win your CA relationship), but with the impressive X3 M40 is an option, highly doubt that pricing such as the M2 MRSP will hold long term after the initial order wave.

M's have most options/packages standard, as X3M has Vernasca leather standard ($1,700 X3 M40 option) where as X3M comp is standard extended Merino leather. Other standards are:
Harman Kardon surround sound audio system ($875 X3 M40)
Navigation with Apple Car Play compatibility ($1,700 X3 M40)
M Sport Differential ($1,300)
Adaptive M Suspension ($700)

Net $6,275 X3 M40 standards.

X3M options are:
Driving Assistance Plus Package
Executive Package (heated steering wheel, heated front and rear seats, parking assistant plus, head-up display, wireless charging, WiFi hotspot and gesture control)

The tune to accomplish the X3M numbers is not available via Dinan, as this would have to be at least a Stage II to add 188 HP/ 73 lb-ft. Reason for Dinan is the warranty coverage.

The B58 in the X3 M40 is impressive, as I'm sure its a blast to drive especially when optioned with the M Sport Differential & Adaptive M Suspension. My only seat time in the X3 M40 was driving from the PC over to BMW Manufacturing during my F83 PCD pick-up (December 2017).

The X3 M40 is a well designed and engineered. Hope you are all enjoying:)
So basically, fully loaded a comp is going to be roughly $16K more than my m40i, before factoring in discount. Factoring that in, it's well north of $20K.

I went for a stage 1 tune to get a safe(r) boost in HP without over stressing the internals. I am not too concerned with long term effects as it is a lease. Will never close the gap between my car and the M, but I just can't justify the extra cost at this point. That said, if I could stomach an extra ~$300 a month on a lease, I would love the M variant as the m40i is the best overall SUV I have owned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.