BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

750i or M5

13K views 26 replies 6 participants last post by  DerStig 
#1 ·
I made the mistake and let the wife drive the M5 then the 750i. She likes the 750. M5 was touchy and scary for her. Said it felt like a toy. She insulted me. LOL.

I drove the competition package. If I delete that package is it a bit softer?
I have to convince her.:rofl:

#2 ·
Somehow get her to drive a 750i with Dinan tuning. It will scare her, the acceleration is mad for a car that size and it becomes very jerky even in comfort mode. In the M5, with efficient/comfort mode, you can actually drive it as a daily driver. When you want to go berserk, put it in sports plus. It is the best of both worlds. I still love the 7er but I would get the M5.

#3 ·
How can you even cross shop a 7 series with an M5?

Or you can flip the coin around and look at it from another perspective, if people can indeed cross shop them, M5 has gotten too big/lazy!:)

OP,

M5 is fine as a daily driver in terms of managing power. You and your wife will get used to it. My wife did the same and after her 3rd time driving the car, she was fine.

#6 ·
The anniversary edition of the M5 is rated by BMW at 600 crank Bhp. Of course there will only be 300 of them.

But BMW significantly underrates the actual power of the M5. Car mags have dynoed it (such as in the Motor Trend M5 CP vs. E63 S comparo) and found it produces in excess of 600 Bhp at the crank.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#7 ·
The anniversary edition of the M5 is rated by BMW at 600 crank Bhp. Of course there will only be 300 of them.

But BMW significantly underrates the actual power of the M5. Car mags have dynoed it (such as in the Motor Trend M5 CP vs. E63 S comparo) and found it produces in excess of 600 Bhp at the crank.

I know all of that, point was, we either stick to the official stock figures which is 431hp and 3450 lbs for M3 and 560 hp and 4390 lbs for M5 or unofficial figures where both cars are underrated same amount (500 hp vs 620 hp) and weight varies depending on the option. Its incorrect to refer to the dyno number for one car and the official figure for the other.

#11 · (Edited)
Der stig,

I got your post reflecting that you do not want to get into high school pissing contests with a old man like myself(47), and I appreciate your respect for not wanting to get into "pissing matches" with someone my age and the way you were brought up. I respect that and I think that is great, but do not worry that I am 47, if I dish it out believe me I can take it and I have no problem with spirited conversations that get slightly heated due to passionate beliefs.

Now 1 thing you need to keep in mind when it comes to almost everything in life, we are all different and we all have different tastes. In this case age has 0 to due with the m3 vs. The m5. Since I have turned 40 I have owned several corvettes, one special one I still own, a 135 I m sport with 410 hp and 440 ft/lbs. of torque( that would have outperformed your m3, guaranteed, you want to be obsessed with light weight), a 415 hp 535 xdrive, and a 510 hp 550 x drive. I am not listing these past cars out of ego, I am just trying to show you that age is not the deciding factor with me in deciding between the f80 m3 and the f10 m5. Again I have test driven both the m3 and m4, for me they are great m cars, but for me I did not feel they were "better" or worth changing/leaving the m5 for. Again the two big advantages of the m3/m4 over the m5 are price and weight. As far as total package car A to Z for "me" it's the m5. I have tracked my m5 and I driven very aggressively on certain backroads(probably to much so) and the m5 has yet to disappoint me in either situation. I agree with Carlos Lagos in all 3 of his reviews of the M5 when he says " this car is to much fun" and "a car this big should not be able to do this". Another factor that I took into consideration with the m3 was the fact that the one I really like has a list price of $ 85,000.00 Austin yellow, I absolutely love it, but last year I paid $ 99,900.00(msrp $ 108,000.00) on my m5. There is absolutely no price reduction on the m3 so when I look at a price difference of roughly $ 15,000.00 and the money I would lose, I will take the m5 all day long because the m5 is easily $ 15,000.00 more of a M car than the m3 if you look at the "entire car" and not just get hooked on the "weight of the car". Plus I am a big fan of V-8 engines over inline 6 engines.

Again you need to realize that just because you like the M3 better than the M5 do not be in a state of shock when somebody else favors something different, and believe me age really has 0 to do with m3 vs. M5.

By the way again I appreciate your respect of me being a old man(who by the way runs 4-5 miles 4 to 5 days per week, 2 of which is uphill) do not let that hold yourself back when having a good spirited passionate conversation about M cars with me I enjoy it.

By the way congratulations on your new m3 I am sure you will enjoy it.

As far as Carlos Lagos, I find him to very honest and spot on when reviewing cars, I respect his opinions on bmw's espcially.

By the way der stig, maybe I am to old to be driving a 6 speed manual m5 with 600 hp.

#14 ·
Okay no hard feelings then:)

I really like Carlos Lagos. I watched his 1 hour long youtube video on the F80/F82 presentation and his trip to road america to test drive the cars.

One thing that occurred to me during that 1 hour long video, towards the end, he starts talking about the K&N dyno they did with the F80 M3. This is the one you kept referring to early on where you said M3 is not as much overrated as the F10 M5. You said same people, same dyno, one instance they dyno M5 and get 620 hp at the crank, in the other they get only 445hp at the crank for the M3 (vs 500+ hp at the crank many other dyno runs show for the M3). What I then realized is, they made one big mistake, or not really mistake, but something that should have been outlined clearly. The dyno they did for the M3 was on the 4th gear vs all other dyno runs for the M3 in other places as well as their own F10 M5 dyno run was always on the 5th gear. Big difference there! He even talks about in his video about them picking the 4th gear specifically for this car and says they wanted to see the area under the power curve.

Now I know why that dyno run was like that:) M3 does make 424 whp as much as the M5 making 550 whp. His is the only dyno that has such low numbers and he is using the 4th gear. In retrospect, his E92 M3 that he tested on the same dyno got some ridiculously low 306 hp number, which is again probably the lowest recorded in history.

Anyways, listen, I hear what you are saying. I don't hate the M5 and I may even buy one in the future myself and modify it. One of the biggest problems I had with the M5 was how quiet the cabin was. Sound sound sound. The problem again for me was, my car was a lease. I couldn't spend 4-5k on some GTI exhaust with downpipes to make it louder. I couldn't lower it in H&R springs. Sure I could if I wanted to, but it made no sense.

Buying an M5 and owning it outright is tough for me. Every car I have driven in my life has been new. Always bought them new. M5 new is very expensive and depreciates so much in value. In 4 years it will be worth less than half of what it is, so will many cars, but the percentage in M5 ends up being tens of thousands of dollars more. When I was leasing my car, there were no 2014s available. To me LCI is a must. Maybe in a year or two, I'll miss the classy look and the gorgeous interior of the M5. Get a used one, and mod the crap out of it.

As I said in my own review, the cheapness of the M3 and it's lawnmower exhaust is really getting to me.

#13 ·
What's the point of getting the shorter wheelbase 7 over an M5?

750i < M5!
There really is no point. They are completely different cars. The 750 is a great sedan , and with DINAN upgrades it can become a very fast and great handling luxury sedan, but it is not a M5. That being said the 7 series bmw is a great blend of luxury touring sedan and performance in one car. It is bmw's non m flagship car.

#16 ·
FTC and Der Stig you are right on the money about a low mileage used M5 being a good value proposition. I spotted a gorgeous 2014 M5 with competition package, executive package, lighting package, amaro brown leather, red sycamore wood trim with less than 4k mikes for $85k. That is $30k off original MSRP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.