Flooded! And off to the Car Hospital - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2018 340 xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfus Aurelius View Post
Why are they irrelevant?
because one has nothing to do with another
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2019, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK2348 View Post
because one has nothing to do with another
But you brought the topics up, and so I was covering them in one post -- not because I thought they were connected.

Actually they are sort of connected. I know the car will have diminished value, and my eventual plan to sell it despite that fact will be an attempt to deal with that loss in value. Hitting the insurance company with a claim for a diminished value payment is something I'll have to investigate (if I know this benighted state, they may not permit such things). If I do that, it will be another and very different attempt to deal with the diminished value.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:40 AM

Mein Auto:
Update, all,

The F30 is still in the hospital; the carpets took longer to come in to the dealer than they thought. However, I came out and asked the service advisor if I could get a loaner, and he obliged! I'm driving an X3, which feels as though I'm piloting a killer whale instead of riding on the back of a leopard, but I am extremely glad to have it and to be done (I hope) with rental car charges.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Update, all,

The F30 is still in the hospital; the carpets took longer to come in to the dealer than they thought. However, I came out and asked the service advisor if I could get a loaner, and he obliged! I'm driving an X3, which feels as though I'm piloting a killer whale instead of riding on the back of a leopard, but I am extremely glad to have it and to be done (I hope) with rental car charges.
That is an interesting way to describe X3. Hopefully things will be back to normal soon.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:41 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
That is an interesting way to describe X3. Hopefully things will be back to normal soon.
Oh, I'm enjoying the vehicle, and I'm more than glad to have it. I plan to pay for a regular oil change (ca. $120) at the dealer in appreciation, as they will probably have saved me more than that in car rental charges.

The X3 is a big vehicle -- so similar in many ways to my F30 and yet so different that it's surprising to me.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:32 AM

Mein Auto:
Folks, it looks like Prog. is only now getting around to totaling the car!

A chirpy little lady at the dealer called me yesterday, asking if I had thought about replacing my car. I went, "What???" (Like the guy on the "Mayhem" insurance commercials) "No," said I, "my car is in for repair." "Oh, I'm sorry, they told me it was totaled."

The service advisor calls me then and says yes, Flo & Co. have reevaluated and need to total the car. When I called the insurance co. directly, they promised to email me the evaluation, but added that the repairs would have come to something like $26,000 (!!!), well over even the most optimistic value of the car before the flood. So I'm waiting to see how this shakes out.

The BMW dealers here and 90 miles away have nothing I want and can afford, so I'm renting a vehicle again and will do some shopping, I guess. . . .
Old 08-02-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Folks, it looks like Prog. is only now getting around to totaling the car!

A chirpy little lady at the dealer called me yesterday, asking if I had thought about replacing my car. I went, "What???" (Like the guy on the "Mayhem" insurance commercials) "No," said I, "my car is in for repair." "Oh, I'm sorry, they told me it was totaled."

The service advisor calls me then and says yes, Flo & Co. have reevaluated and need to total the car. When I called the insurance co. directly, they promised to email me the evaluation, but added that the repairs would have come to something like $26,000 (!!!), well over even the most optimistic value of the car before the flood. So I'm waiting to see how this shakes out.

The BMW dealers here and 90 miles away have nothing I want and can afford, so I'm renting a vehicle again and will do some shopping, I guess. . . .
Has insurance said what is payout then? Being totaled probably is a good outcome in this case.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
That is really odd. Most insurance companies have their act together when it comes to claims adjusting and payouts. So will the insurance company will pay you the value of the car and the dealer for the work that has been done? Given the amount of time that has passed you may want to confirm that the insurance company has not mixed up two different claims.

Last edited by John MS; 08-02-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John MS View Post
That is really odd. Most insurance companies have their act together when it comes to claims adjusting and payouts. So will the insurance company will pay you the value of the car and the dealer for the work that has been done? Given the amount of time that has passed you may want to confirm that the insurance company has not mixed up two different claims.
Past experience is that the shop(e.g. CCRC) will be authorized by insurance for the tear down, and the shop keeps updating insurance of the estimates, and insurance must authorize (e.g. $26k of repair) before any work can commence. When the car is totaled the shop is still paid for the tear down cost(e.g. $6k to CCRC), and insured will be paid the FMV from 3-4 recent comparable analysis.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:04 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
Past experience is that the shop(e.g. CCRC) will be authorized by insurance for the tear down, and the shop keeps updating insurance of the estimates, and insurance must authorize (e.g. $26k of repair) before any work can commence. When the car is totaled the shop is still paid for the tear down cost(e.g. $6k to CCRC), and insured will be paid the FMV from 3-4 recent comparable analysis.
The saga continues --

The dealer was nice enough to give me a loaner, an X3, last week. Saturday I got to the dealer, and the service manager and my service advisor were not in. "Since nobody has called you about returning the loaner," the receptionist said, "go ahead and keep the car until Monday." I collected a lot of my possessions from the car, which was sitting in their back lot, looking neglected, with yellow plastic bags over the front windows (i.e., they hadn't actually done any work on the car yet). I forgot a few things and will need to go back, though.

The big news is that Progressive called me and has sent me not only the revised estimate, which looks like the national debt of a small South American country -- but also the payoff breakdown, which I discussed with them on the phone. To put it simply, they valued the car correctly, in fact went over the figure I'd come up with from NADA.com. And after they pay off my loan and rake off my deductible, I am due for quite a nice chunk of cash! I'm basically made whole from my original down payment on the car, the cost of the rental car so far, and more.

The dealer, of course, wants me to go back into a BMW, and I'm not averse to that. We'll see if they can find me something I like and want to afford.

Last edited by Wolfus Aurelius; 08-05-2019 at 07:30 AM.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2019 X2 M35
Great news, my first BMW was a CPO. I am now on round 2 (new this time). Glad it worked out financially, good hunting, it is a hassle but fortunately no injuries (could have drowned?) on to the next car
Old 08-06-2019, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rounderman View Post
Great news, my first BMW was a CPO. I am now on round 2 (new this time). Glad it worked out financially, good hunting, it is a hassle but fortunately no injuries (could have drowned?) on to the next car
I'm off to the dealer this afternoon; the sales manager says he has a number of cars that fit my requirements coming in soon, and he can show me the list. I'll grab my remaining possessions from my old car while i'm there, and head over to the Progressive office to sign papers and, they tell me, receive my check.

If, by some miracle, a car I like and can possibly afford is actually there on the lot, I'll ask if I can use it to run to Progressive as a test drive!

Soon enough I'll have to give the X3 loaner back. By that time I'll either have a newer BMW, or I'll have to climb back into a rental and start shopping even more seriously.

Last edited by Wolfus Aurelius; 08-06-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
TThe big news is that Progressive called me and has sent me not only the revised estimate, which looks like the national debt of a small South American country -- but also the payoff breakdown, which I discussed with them on the phone. To put it simply, they valued the car correctly, in fact went over the figure I'd come up with from NADA.com. And after they pay off my loan and rake off my deductible, I am due for quite a nice chunk of cash! I'm basically made whole from my original down payment on the car, the cost of the rental car so far, and more.
That is great news, glad to hear that things work out OK in your favor.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:51 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 540i; 428 GC; 340i 6MT
Something tells me you're not driving that X3 home tonight.....
2016 428 GC MSport

Prior BMW's
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 08-06-2019, 12:59 PM

This month there should be $1k loyalty and $2k(or is it $3k?) BMWFS finance credit on G20 3-series, it may be possible to get 15% off on $45-50k MSRP car off the lot(dependent on location).
Old 08-07-2019, 01:27 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
Something tells me you're not driving that X3 home tonight.....
As it happened, yes, I did take the X3 home on Tuesday evening. The dealer didn't have anything I liked in my price range; all the '16 and '17 328 F30s were either more expensive than I liked, or had black interiors. Just for grins I drove a '16 320i, Alpine White over Venetian Beige, and while it was a good little car, I didn't get that feeling of effortless acceleration. Autotrader and Cars.com returned several listings, all out of warranty or with black interiors. Grrr.

Also, yesterday I went to the Progressive office and handled the paperwork, and got my check, which I immediately took to the bank so I wouldn't lose the darn thing. Today I rented a car (a minivan, for gosh sakes!), and will shop more.

I'm beginning to think my fling with BMW has been just that, a spring/summer romance, and that the memories will have to serve to keep me warm on cold nights. ("You live in Noo Awlins," a small voice pipes up. "What cold nights?") If the brand and I should meet again one day, perhaps sparks will fly once more. . . .

Last edited by Wolfus Aurelius; 08-07-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:25 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Why are you giving up on BMW so easily? As has been mentioned if you'll go to the www.bmwusa.com/cpo website there are a lot of 2016 328i's in your price range. Here's one in Baton Rouge that's nicer than the one you lost - https://www.brianharrisbmw.com/auto/...ev--/36885315/ . If I were you I just might buy this one today. There are lots of others.

Present - '06 E90 330i sport; Past - '04 E46 ZHP, '00 E46 328i
www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!
Old 08-08-2019, 05:07 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Why are you giving up on BMW so easily? As has been mentioned if you'll go to the www.bmwusa.com/cpo website there are a lot of 2016 328i's in your price range. Here's one in Baton Rouge that's nicer than the one you lost - https://www.brianharrisbmw.com/auto/...ev--/36885315/ . If I were you I just might buy this one today. There are lots of others.
Most of the ones on the CPO site are either 320s, have black interiors, or are SULEV vehicles, and I've read about the significantly higher repair costs (fuel pump et al.) on the latter models. Apparently Lousyana does not honor that emissions warranty. (This state honors almost everything more in the breach than in the observance.) Maybe I've read it wrong. But I'm not seeing any cars that would make me drive to BR for a test drive.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Most of the ones on the CPO site are either 320s, have black interiors, or are SULEV vehicles, and I've read about the significantly higher repair costs (fuel pump et al.) on the latter models. Apparently Lousyana does not honor that emissions warranty. (This state honors almost everything more in the breach than in the observance.) Maybe I've read it wrong. But I'm not seeing any cars that would make me drive to BR for a test drive.
The F30 low pressure fuel pump is covered by ELW, for 10 years/120000 miles(?), and yes if ur state is not PZEV it will miss out lots of coverage(15 years/150000 miles) on expensive emission parts.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search