Advanced real-time traffic information - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-31-2019, 12:48 PM
fearziz fearziz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Tennessee
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 174
Mein Auto: 2019 330i
Advanced real-time traffic information

is this standard on 6U3 now? Can't seem to subscribe on the BMW store. Picked up the 19 330i today and no one mentioned it.

ADVANCED REAL-TIME TRAFFIC INFORMATION - $50

It has exec package, premium, and convenience etc

Last edited by fearziz; 07-31-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 07-31-2019, 01:18 PM
tex2670's Avatar
tex2670 tex2670 is offline
You Don't Need to Know
Location: Phila
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,980
Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearziz View Post
is this standard on 6U3 now? Can't seem to subscribe on the BMW store. Picked up the 19 330i today and no one mentioned it.

ADVANCED REAL-TIME TRAFFIC INFORMATION - $50

It has exec package, premium, and convenience etc
You want to ask in G20 forum.
__________________

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-31-2019, 01:39 PM
southcoastguy southcoastguy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Mattapoisett, MA
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 628
Mein Auto: 328xi
I use google maps (free) and get that information.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 07-31-2019, 05:32 PM
pshovest pshovest is offline
BMW CCA 69606
Location: DE
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,908
Mein Auto: '15 435i '10 535i '08 X5
On my F32 you need the paid connected drive subscription for the privilege of paying the extra $50 to get RTTI.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-01-2019, 07:22 AM
Desertnate's Avatar
Desertnate Desertnate is offline
Spelling Impaired
Location: St Louis
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,603
Mein Auto: '16 435i
On a related note, is the real time traffic info supposed to actually do anything other than put the colored areas on the map?

My CPO F32 has a year left of the service, and when plotting a route last week it led me down the most heavily conjested route in the city. This conjestion was clearly shown on the map, but the nav software put me right though it anyway. Unfortunatly, I wasn't familiar with the area and didn't know of a shorter/better route until speaking with local people at the destination. If a nav system has traffic info, I'd have thought it would actually use it in route planning.

I wasn't planning on continuing the service after it expired and this event confirmed my decision.
__________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-01-2019, 07:32 AM
luigi524td luigi524td is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: The State of Southern NJ
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,917
Mein Auto: '17 540xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
Exclamation Nav settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
On a related note, is the real time traffic info supposed to actually do anything other than put the colored areas on the map?

My CPO F32 has a year left of the service, and when plotting a route last week it led me down the most heavily conjested route in the city. This conjestion was clearly shown on the map, but the nav software put me right though it anyway. Unfortunatly, I wasn't familiar with the area and didn't know of a shorter/better route until speaking with local people at the destination. If a nav system has traffic info, I'd have thought it would actually use it in route planning.

I wasn't planning on continuing the service after it expired and this event confirmed my decision.
Information in your Owner's Manual will help you address this:

"Switching on/off

"Navigation"

"Settings"

"Receive Traffic Info"

Displaying list of traffic bulletins

"Navigation"

"Map"

"Traffic Info"

With active destination guidance, first the traffic bulletins for the calculated route are displayed with red symbols. Then, the traffic bulletins that do not affect the route are shown with gray symbols. The traffic bulletins are sorted by their distance from the current position of the vehicle.

Select a traffic bulletin.

"Previous message": scroll to the previous traffic bulletin.

"Next message": scroll to the next traffic bulletin.

Displaying detour recommendation

"Navigation"

"Map"

"Traffic Info"

"Detour": a detour recommendation is displayed.

The following functions are available:

"Current route": stay on current route.

"New route in": accept detour. "

etc etc etc .....
__________________
My opinions are free - you'll get exactly what you pay for!
Current: '17 540 xDrive | '13 X1 MSport | '98 Z3 2.8
Past: '13 535xDrive|'07 530xi|'01 740i|'98 740i|'94 740i |'86 524TD
"Seek and ye shall find" - start with your owner's manual!


Click on the MrRebates logo/link for cash back savings at on-line stores like Tirerack!Mr. Rebates
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-01-2019, 07:35 AM
Doug Huffman's Avatar
Doug Huffman Doug Huffman is offline
Nuclear engineer
Location: Washington Island, Wisconsin, thru Death's Door
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 12,520
Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
On a related note, is the real time traffic info supposed to actually do anything other than put the colored areas on the map?
My RTTI examines my selected route and overlays various delay icons and occasionally highlights the affected highways in yellow or red, AND it plots alternate routes’ exit and reentrance and detour travel time.

One thing to note is that participation of a region or state in RTTI is voluntary. Wisconsin does not participate.
__________________
Scepticism and Animal Faith (1923)
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-02-2019, 11:27 AM
Desertnate's Avatar
Desertnate Desertnate is offline
Spelling Impaired
Location: St Louis
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,603
Mein Auto: '16 435i
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi524td View Post
Information in your Owner's Manual will help you address this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
My RTTI examines my selected route and overlays various delay icons and occasionally highlights the affected highways in yellow or red, AND it plots alternate routes’ exit and reentrance and detour travel time.

One thing to note is that participation of a region or state in RTTI is voluntary. Wisconsin does not participate.
Thanks for the info everyone. I believe I already have everything set up properly to get the traffic updates because I see the colored routes based on traffic load. In the example I gave it was clearly an ugly red stretch for several miles. However, I'm not getting any icons as being which is interesting.

Also, despite actually recieving the traffic information it isn't plotting a suitable route. In my case, the traffic was horrible BEFORE I started trip and loaded the destination, but it didn't offer any alternatives nor did it simply plot an alternate route to avoid the traffic.

More to play around with I guess.
__________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-05-2019, 05:08 PM
tex2670's Avatar
tex2670 tex2670 is offline
You Don't Need to Know
Location: Phila
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,980
Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
Thanks for the info everyone. I believe I already have everything set up properly to get the traffic updates because I see the colored routes based on traffic load. In the example I gave it was clearly an ugly red stretch for several miles. However, I'm not getting any icons as being which is interesting.

Also, despite actually recieving the traffic information it isn't plotting a suitable route. In my case, the traffic was horrible BEFORE I started trip and loaded the destination, but it didn't offer any alternatives nor did it simply plot an alternate route to avoid the traffic.

More to play around with I guess.
Just give up an start using Waze or Google Maps. You'll be much better off.
__________________

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-05-2019, 05:37 PM
Doug Huffman's Avatar
Doug Huffman Doug Huffman is offline
Nuclear engineer
Location: Washington Island, Wisconsin, thru Death's Door
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 12,520
Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Just give up an start using Waze or Google Maps. You'll be much better off.
The cops, GSP, spoof WAZE. I drive I-95 SC, Ga, and Fl with the traffic and waay above the speed limit.

The Federal Law Enforcement Training Center - FLEa Tech - is in Brunswick, Ga. and they do classroom exercises on I-95.
__________________
Scepticism and Animal Faith (1923)
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-06-2019, 05:53 AM
Desertnate's Avatar
Desertnate Desertnate is offline
Spelling Impaired
Location: St Louis
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,603
Mein Auto: '16 435i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Just give up an start using Waze or Google Maps. You'll be much better off.
Agree. Typically I do use them for local tips to unfamiliar locations and leave the onboard GPS to track progress on long range trips, but since the car was new to me I figured I'd test things out. I did, and now I know.

I have to admit the ability to look up a destination on my phone while I was in the house and then send it to the car was pretty handy. Not enough to pay for after it expires, but handy all the same.
__________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-06-2019, 06:00 AM
Desertnate's Avatar
Desertnate Desertnate is offline
Spelling Impaired
Location: St Louis
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,603
Mein Auto: '16 435i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Just give up an start using Waze or Google Maps. You'll be much better off.
Agree. Typically I do use them for local tips to unfamiliar locations and leave the onboard GPS to track progress on long range trips, but since the car was new to me I figured I'd test things out. I did, and now I know.

I have to admit the ability to look up a destination on my phone while I was in the house and then send it to the car was pretty handy. Not enough to pay for after it expires, but handy all the same.
__________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-12-2019, 09:16 PM
flavius99 flavius99 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NH
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 181
Mein Auto: 2019 440ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
Agree. Typically I do use them for local tips to unfamiliar locations and leave the onboard GPS to track progress on long range trips, but since the car was new to me I figured I'd test things out. I did, and now I know.

I have to admit the ability to look up a destination on my phone while I was in the house and then send it to the car was pretty handy. Not enough to pay for after it expires, but handy all the same.
My experience has been quite different, in Metro Boston and NH, recently. This weekend my wife, my youngest son and I went on a drive. There was lots of traffic going up to the lakes region. My son pulled out his android with google maps, offered to guide us, glad we didn't let him. The BMW system knew the way around those jams (and accidents), google didn't.
With my 2014 BMW I drove a lot in the Boston Metro area, never had a problem. I'm wondering if my son's phone didn't the data in time.
__________________


Last edited by flavius99; 08-12-2019 at 09:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-13-2019, 06:16 AM
tex2670's Avatar
tex2670 tex2670 is offline
You Don't Need to Know
Location: Phila
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,980
Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius99 View Post
My experience has been quite different, in Metro Boston and NH, recently. This weekend my wife, my youngest son and I went on a drive. There was lots of traffic going up to the lakes region. My son pulled out his android with google maps, offered to guide us, glad we didn't let him. The BMW system knew the way around those jams (and accidents), google didn't.
With my 2014 BMW I drove a lot in the Boston Metro area, never had a problem. I'm wondering if my son's phone didn't the data in time.
That may be; but there was a road in an office park near me, which is 1/4 mile off of a PA Turnpike exit, where the road was closed for bridge replacement for 18 months. My BMW's RTTI NEVER picked up this closure; Waze and Google Maps knew the day the closure started.

Waze and Google Maps (or any mapping program) can't be perfect. But I think you would find, over time, Waze and Google Maps are going to be more accurate more often than RTTI.
__________________

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-13-2019, 10:00 AM
Desertnate's Avatar
Desertnate Desertnate is offline
Spelling Impaired
Location: St Louis
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,603
Mein Auto: '16 435i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Waze and Google Maps (or any mapping program) can't be perfect. But I think you would find, over time, Waze and Google Maps are going to be more accurate more often than RTTI.
This is what I'm finding.

Google Maps for me shows fairly current status of traffic and obstructions like wrecks and construction and adjusts routes and/or provides alternatives.

My BMW navigation puts pretty colors on the maps which actually reflects current traffic conditions and then promptly ignores the information and runs you right through the worst of it anyway.

Another quirk I've discovered is when looking up a destination using the BMWConnect app, the travel time it shows when sending the destination to the car is much longer than what the BMW nav shows once in the car or what you would see if looking up the destination right off another mapping app.
__________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-15-2019, 08:59 AM
John MS John MS is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Virginia, USA
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,637
Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
That may be; but there was a road in an office park near me, which is 1/4 mile off of a PA Turnpike exit, where the road was closed for bridge replacement for 18 months. My BMW's RTTI NEVER picked up this closure; Waze and Google Maps knew the day the closure started.

Waze and Google Maps (or any mapping program) can't be perfect. But I think you would find, over time, Waze and Google Maps are going to be more accurate more often than RTTI.
It's a GiGo problem.

My experience has been similar in the greater Maryland, Delaware and Virginia area. There were too many instances of serious backups being completely missed as well as false traffic alerts from stale data not being cleared. It was so inconsistent that the subscription was not renewed. Google and Waze are far better for the areas I drive. And yet the traffic information was largely accurate on several trips in New Jersey and New York.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.