N20 Vibration at low rpm - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:00 AM

Mein Auto:
Hi all,

Have anyone experienced vibration at low rpm? I'm having the vibration from 750rpm to 2000rpm and also 2000rpm back to 750rpm.

Its a slight vibration that I can feel through steering, seats, floor. On idle, it sounded like the timing of the engine is oscillating but I dont see any change on the rev meter.

I have only got one code which is 105201, not sure if there is anything to do with the vibration.

Ambient pressure sensor, overrun: Pressure too high

During the control module's shutdown phase the diagnostic function monitors the barometric-pressure sensor, intake-manifold pressure sensor and boost pressure sensor to determine whether they are all measuring the same pressure.

Thanks

Last edited by stockslow; 01-02-2019 at 04:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2019, 04:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 3 Series Wagon (F31)
A little more information on mileage would be helpful.
Maybe Timing Chain Guide / Timing Chain which is covered by BMW for certain years.
BMW CCA #257
]

Last edited by ebs0712; 01-02-2019 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:00 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs0712 View Post
A little more information on mileage would be helpful.
Maybe Timing Chain Guide / Timing Chain which is covered by BMW for certain years.
Thanks for reaching out. Its around fairly low at 60k miles on a 2012. Timing chain, chain rail, oil pump chain and rail, tensioner and crank sprocket has been replaced, both cam sprocket looks fine. The chain job did reduced alot of clatering noise I have to admit, since the old oil pump chain is worn, of course like you would expect, all rails broke.

The vibration feels a little like air flow turbulence. Which lead me to suspect the intake struggling for more air?!?! Swap MAF, MAP and boost sensor with another n20 and seems like nothing changed.

Currently I had the GFB DV installed with stage 1 custom tune, but the vibration was even before all these installations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2019, 09:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
I have slight vibration that can be felt too. Mine is n26. A little when idles. More when accelerating from full stop. No vibration once in 2K rpm or more. But not feeling it when slowing down.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:12 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxway View Post
I have slight vibration that can be felt too. Mine is n26. A little when idles. More when accelerating from full stop. No vibration once in 2K rpm or more. But not feeling it when slowing down.
Was the car pulling any codes? Mine sort of like "turbulance in the airpipes", since I have a custom map, I be putting in a less restricted K&N air filter to see how if it will be more "laminar". In your case, assuming its stock, when is the last time you change/clean the air filter?
Old 01-03-2019, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockslow View Post
Was the car pulling any codes? Mine sort of like "turbulance in the airpipes", since I have a custom map, I be putting in a less restricted K&N air filter to see how if it will be more "laminar". In your case, assuming its stock, when is the last time you change/clean the air filter?
I did not check for codes yet. I changed my air filter just recently with K&R. It helps a little, but still have that slight vibrations when moving from full stop. The vibration is like less than a second.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:51 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxway View Post
I did not check for codes yet. I changed my air filter just recently with K&R. It helps a little, but still have that slight vibrations when moving from full stop. The vibration is like less than a second.
I installed K&N air filter yesterday and it didnt help. Just got out from my mechanic, since engine and gearbox mounting is new, we are suspecting the harmonic balance, little wobble on the pulley, the rubber looks fine. He also told me that n20 should not vibrate like that. It should be quiet.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:35 AM

Mein Auto: F20
My n20 f30 automatic vibrate on steering wheel when accelerating between 1200-1400pm, especially on higher gear but not decelerating, no error codes, car has power. I donít think Iím lugging the engine. Changed fuel pump, injectors, Maf sensor, harmonic balancer,torque converter, guibo and center support bearing. Problem persist, anyone else got idea?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search