Pulling to the right after new tires installed - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 05-31-2019, 05:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i
Pulling to the right after new tires installed

I have a 2014 335i sport line with adaptive M suspension (square setup). Purchased some Pilot Sport 4S tires at America's Tires about 3 weeks ago and had them installed. The car has been pulling to the right ever since.

Thought I might need an alignment so I had that done at a different place last week and that hasn't helped.

When I picked up the car originally, the guy at America's Tires did mention that they had a hard time with some of the lugs because of rust. I hope they didn't mess something up trying to get the wheels off.

I'm taking it back tomorrow so they can inspect the wheels, tires... etc.

The car pulls the most when in sport mode and the least in eco. Don't know if that means anything.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? Anything I should ask the tire guys tomorrow? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2019, 03:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
The normal track is to have a complete alignment along with new tires. You complicated things by having two shops do the work. If one shop damaged the car then sorting out responsibility will be harder.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
I have some PSS's on my car. They "transmit feel" much more than RFT's, specifically the crown of the road surface.

Floriduh's nothing but sand. So, after a while asphalt roads actually develop ruts as the sand under the road compacts. My car (now) pulls to the left or right, depending on where my front tires are with respect to the ruts.

Another thing that can cause pulling with new tires is "tire conicity," where the tire has a slightly different rolling diameter on side than on the other side. I've had that before on a set of Dunlop's. Switch the front tires with each other. If the pulling goes in the opposite direction, it could very well be that one front tire is conical. Then, since you have a square set-up, you could switch one side's tires front to back. If the pulling goes away, then the conical tire has been moved to the back. If not, then switch the other side's tires front to back.

That conical Dunlop of mine was on a Nissan. The pulling was caused by the combination of the tire plus the right front wheel having less negative camber than the left front one. That made the car "fall down the crown" of the road more to the right than to the left. As I went through rotations, the pulling to the right on the crown went from bad to not-so-bad, to non-existent, to not-so-bad, and then back to bad. "Non-existent" was when the conical tire pull was to the left and falling down the crown was pulling more to the right.

Sport mode adjusts the shocks, power steering boost, and automatic transmission shift points. Your feeling the pull more in Sport because there's less boost to help you counter it.

What does the alignment spec's say? If you didn't get a "before" and "after' print-out, you probably didn't get a good alignment.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 06-01-2019 at 09:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2019, 08:34 AM
former motorcycle rider

Mein Auto: F87 & F01
I'm a big Michelin fan, but the last set of PS A/S3+ had a lot of balancing issues, with one tire bad enough to be replaced by Michelin, but another was "borderline" and it was just a constant battle to keep them balanced. The shop used road force balancing, and we had to remount the tires several times. The shop said that they have a lot of issues with Michelins.

I suggest that you follow @Autoputzer's advice and move the wheels around to see if the problem follows.

Alignments are limited on BMWs - not much they can do besides toe.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:20 AM

A neighbor of mine back in the 1990's worked for GM. He was the "zone guy" who interfaced with dealerships and with customers if there was an issue not resolved through the normal warranty process. He said that Michelin tires had the lowest defect rate of all their OE tires. He said that when there was a defective tire on a customer's car, they replaced them with Michelins.

Front camber can be adjusted on BMW's, but only + or - 0.5 degrees, and that's done by replacing the upper control arm (on double-wishbone suspension) or the "knuckle" on McPherson strut cars. BMW sells control arms and knuckles in three versions: standard, -0.5 degrees, and +0.5 degrees.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 330i Gran Turismo
Would it make sense that my car pulls to the right after I had just one tire (the right rear) replaced? I would think that the car pull to the left if one of the right tires is larger.

The other tires have about 16K miles on them. I replaced the right rear due to damage.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNDM/S View Post
Would it make sense that my car pulls to the right after I had just one tire (the right rear) replaced? I would think that the car pull to the left if one of the right tires is larger.

The other tires have about 16K miles on them. I replaced the right rear due to damage.
If the pulling started right after getting a new tire, it's a good chance the new tire is causing it.

For future reference, Tire Rack will shave down new tires to match the tread depths (and rolling diameter) of your existing tires for $35/tire.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search