AC auto start when fan is turned on? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:57 PM

Mein Auto: Car
Unhappy AC auto start when fan is turned on?

It started happening recently after I let someone else drive the car (430 GC). The sympton is that when I turn on the the fan, the AC will start automatically while the AC indication light remains off. AC will stay on for a few minutes, sometimes it will go off, and then on again.

I dont know if any setting is changed (even if it is, it won't be intentioanl), or my AC control just went bad. Please help. This is annoying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2019, 06:53 AM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shangri-La View Post
It started happening recently after I let someone else drive the car (430 GC). The sympton is that when I turn on the the fan, the AC will start automatically while the AC indication light remains off. AC will stay on for a few minutes, sometimes it will go off, and then on again.

I dont know if any setting is changed (even if it is, it won't be intentioanl), or my AC control just went bad. Please help. This is annoying.
Shangri-La, are you referring to air conditioner operation upon engine startup following the previous shutdown? On my 2014 F30, I had to do FDL coding as follows in order for the climate control system (IHKA) to "remember" ON or OFF state for the air conditioner from the last shutdown:

Module IHKA, section 3002, function OFF_MEMORY, set value to 'aktiv'

Old 08-05-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
Shangri-La, are you referring to air conditioner operation upon engine startup following the previous shutdown? On my 2014 F30, I had to do FDL coding as follows in order for the climate control system (IHKA) to "remember" ON or OFF state for the air conditioner from the last shutdown:

Module IHKA, section 3002, function OFF_MEMORY, set value to 'aktiv'
What is that FDL coding?

In my case, I had the AC turned off prior to last engine off. When I turn on engine again, the AC remains off. But as soon as I turn on the fan, the AC will be on (but sometimes will turn off by itself after a few min). And I dont want it to (nor does it currently do) remember the AC on/off state when the car was last turned off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2019, 03:46 PM
BMW CCA 69606

Mein Auto: '15 435i '10 535i '08 X5
Don't turn the fan off before you turn the ignition off. Why do you do this?
Turning the fan off shuts down the IHKA. Restarting the fan, like pressing the auto button, turns the AC on. If you don't turn the fan off before turning ignition off, the AC setting will remain the way it was on the next restart.

Last edited by pshovest; 08-05-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshovest View Post
Don't turn the fan off before you turn the ignition off. Why do you do this?
Turning the fan off shuts down the IHKA. Restarting the fan, like pressing the auto button, turns the AC on. If you don't turn the fan off before turning ignition off, the AC setting will remain the way it was on the next restart.
Okay, I can try that. Although:

- Why can I not turn the fan off before turning the engine off? I may not even need the fan in the precious drive.
- I have always been doing this (turning fan off before engine off) and never had the problem.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:04 PM
BMW CCA 69606

Mein Auto: '15 435i '10 535i '08 X5
The short version is you can't do it because BMW intended it to function the way it does. I see absolutely zero value in shutting fan off before engine.
If you want a well regulated cabin temperature, you should leave the IHKA in auto and manually turn on the AC when you want it.
My E39, E60, E70 and F32 BMW's all behave this way and it works great.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:48 AM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shangri-La View Post
What is that FDL coding?

In my case, I had the AC turned off prior to last engine off. When I turn on engine again, the AC remains off. But as soon as I turn on the fan, the AC will be on (but sometimes will turn off by itself after a few min). And I dont want it to (nor does it currently do) remember the AC on/off state when the car was last turned off.
Check out the BMW Coding and Programming section of Bimmerfest forums. Here is a summary, courtesy of Bimmerfest member and coding expert shawnsheridan:
  • VO = Vehicle Order
  • VO Code = Coding of all FDL's (100% of the ECU) to predetermined settings based on the Vehicle Order.
  • Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Right-Click on ECU (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.
  • FDL = Function Data Line
  • FDL Code = Coding of individual FDL's in an ECU, overriding the VO Coding.

Thus, by "FDL coding" your car, you can override the original setting for particular ECU function (e.g., air conditioner activates upon engine startup regardless of last used state).

Old 08-06-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
Check out the BMW Coding and Programming section of Bimmerfest forums. Here is a summary, courtesy of Bimmerfest member and coding expert shawnsheridan:
  • VO = Vehicle Order
  • VO Code = Coding of all FDL's (100% of the ECU) to predetermined settings based on the Vehicle Order.
  • Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Right-Click on ECU (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.
  • FDL = Function Data Line
  • FDL Code = Coding of individual FDL's in an ECU, overriding the VO Coding.

Thus, by "FDL coding" your car, you can override the original setting for particular ECU function (e.g., air conditioner activates upon engine startup regardless of last used state).
Thanks, I will take a look at that. Though I still think my issue is somehting that should not resort to FDL coding.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search