340i 2018 - HIGH PITCH Circular SQUEAK NOISE from New Ceramic BRAKE PADS - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:53 PM
keved

Mein Auto: 340i
340i 2018 - HIGH PITCH Circular SQUEAK NOISE from New Ceramic BRAKE PADS

Hello. I'm a first time blogger here. The wife/I lease new Beem's every 3 years from the S.F. Dealership in the City. The current 2018 340i has a real issue with the new brake pads that are being put on in the German factories. They are creating quite the high-pitched squeak noise after only 6 or 7 miles of City driving. The Service Reps at the SF Dealership are using the company spiel that this is due to the change from STEEL-based Brake pads to new CERAMIC pads installed on all new Beems. ?? Huh ?? Is this true ? The high-pitched squeak is quite significant now after one year of Driving (July of 2018 lease). The squeak that is occurring happens only when the car is slow downed (an interior garage is where most prevalent), and after only 6 or 7 miles of quick, zippy City driving. As the FRONT WHEEL axle rotates in its circular motion, the squeak is MOST AUDIBLE as the car rolls. It is NOT happening when applying the BRAKES, but only after the car slows down. The noise isn't there when the car is driven again, but comes back after only 6/7 miles again. The SF City Dealership reps just say, "This is just the way it is now. Nothing else can be done." Seriously ! ?? The world's Ultimate Driving Machine, 340 Series producing noises from their wheel and axle bases due to the "new ceramic brake pads." ?? And nothing can be done about this !! ?? REALLY hard for me to believe this. *** DOES ANYBODY KNOW ANYTHING ELSE THAT CAN BE DONE TO ELIMINATE THIS NOISE ? *** Hope so. Thanks for your time here - kevin

Last edited by kevink; 08-12-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2019, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Your car is an F30. I moved this to the correct forum.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 18' Tesla Model 3 Perf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink View Post
Hello. I'm a first time blogger here. The wife/I lease new Beem's every 3 years from the S.F. Dealership in the City. The current 2018 340i has a real issue with the new brake pads that are being put on in the German factories. They are creating quite the high-pitched squeak noise after only 6 or 7 miles of City driving. The Service Reps at the SF Dealership are using the company spiel that this is due to the change from STEEL-based Brake pads to new CERAMIC pads installed on all new Beems. ?? Huh ?? Is this true ? The high-pitched squeak is quite significant now after one year of Driving (July of 2018 lease). The squeak that is occurring happens only when the car is slow downed (an interior garage is where most prevalent), and after only 6 or 7 miles of quick, zippy City driving. As the FRONT WHEEL axle rotates in its circular motion, the squeak is MOST AUDIBLE as the car rolls. It is NOT happening when applying the BRAKES, but only after the car slows down. The noise isn't there when the car is driven again, but comes back after only 6/7 miles again. The SF City Dealership reps just say, "This is just the way it is now. Nothing else can be done." Seriously ! ?? The world's Ultimate Driving Machine, 340 Series producing noises from their wheel and axle bases due to the "new ceramic brake pads." ?? And nothing can be done about this !! ?? REALLY hard for me to believe this. *** DOES ANYBODY KNOW ANYTHING ELSE THAT CAN BE DONE TO ELIMINATE THIS NOISE ? *** Hope so. Thanks for your time here - kevin

You could try paying for aftermarket brake pads , or have the car inspected to see if there is anything caught between the brake pad rotor.

Its a lease so you may not want to pay for brake pads but that is something you could try, at a shop that services BMWs (and not the dealer).

Also, its a bit hard to read your post as its all run together.

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

18' Tesla Model 3 Performance

BMW CCA #477341
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2019, 11:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35d (traded in)
Well, people got what they asked for, a non-dust brakes. Personally anyone who makes an issue around dust should just stick to Toyota Camry.
Try replacements and see. I think their argument is bogus. Or try another dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2019, 05:56 AM
Spelling Impaired

Mein Auto: '16 435i
What options are on the car? From what I understand the higher temperature pads used on the M Sport brakes will squeak a little as you describe. I believe it's a common event with performance brake pads of any brand.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt
Old 08-14-2019, 06:51 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi 4dr; '03 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink View Post
The world's Ultimate Driving Machine, 340 Series producing noises from their wheel and axle bases due to the "new ceramic brake pads." ?? And nothing can be done about this !! ?? REALLY hard for me to believe this. *** DOES ANYBODY KNOW ANYTHING ELSE THAT CAN BE DONE TO ELIMINATE THIS NOISE ? ***
Other than stripping down and reassembling the brake system at the offending wheel(s)...no, not really. High-performance brakes sometimes make unwelcome noises. Meticulous installation will usually, but not always, correct the problem.

Minor and occasional noise is something one generally just tolerates from a high(er)-performance brake system as it ages/wears. What you have is definitely minor and occasional, and does not sound out of line for year-old brakes. Make a stink with the dealer if it becomes nearly constant; otherwise, it is what it is.

(PS: "Beem"?! Try this: Bimmer [rhymes with slimmer].)

BMW CCA

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search