engine oil low pressure/drive train malfunction on 2012 328i f30 - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by adhrp View Post
....I have 60k+ miles on my 2012 N20.
NY/NJ are PZEV states, if yours is a N26 with CEL(e.g. camshaft sensor codes), it should then be covered 15-yr/150k miles by BMWNA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2017, 07:10 AM
I'd keep playing!

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi 2002 Z3 3.0
I had a similar experience in that the drive train malfunction light came on a couple of times over the course of a week, but went out. Then the low oil pressure light came on. I pulled off the highway and into a gas station and shut the car off for 5 minutes. Because there is no dipstick to check the oil, I restarted the car and checked the oil. Oil was full, oil pressure light went off. Engine sounded fine (no ticking or rattling noise) and the light stayed off, so I drove it home and drove it to the dealer the next day.

They replaced the turbo unit. I have the N26 and it was covered under the emissions warranty.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3RIFFRAFF View Post
I had a similar experience in that the drive train malfunction light came on a couple of times over the course of a week, but went out. Then the low oil pressure light came on. I pulled off the highway and into a gas station and shut the car off for 5 minutes. Because there is no dipstick to check the oil, I restarted the car and checked the oil. Oil was full, oil pressure light went off. Engine sounded fine (no ticking or rattling noise) and the light stayed off, so I drove it home and drove it to the dealer the next day.

They replaced the turbo unit. I have the N26 and it was covered under the emissions warranty.
Is yours N26 with PZEV coverage in NJ? Did the SA ask to authorize diagnosis fee before confirming emission coverage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2017, 09:20 AM
I'd keep playing!

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi 2002 Z3 3.0
Yes, N26 in NJ.

SA did not ask to authorize a diagnosis fee. I had an appointment scheduled for some other work it was due for. He just called and said the turbo was the problem and that it was covered under the PZEV which is good to 150K miles (I had 106K on the car at the time).

The PZEV covers a lot of items!
Old 06-16-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3RIFFRAFF View Post
Yes, N26 in NJ.

SA did not ask to authorize a diagnosis fee. I had an appointment scheduled for some other work it was due for. He just called and said the turbo was the problem and that it was covered under the PZEV which is good to 150K miles (I had 106K on the car at the time).

The PZEV covers a lot of items!
Good to hear a PZEV success story. Yes the PZEV list is long, it covers more than the major emission parts listed on the warranty manual.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:37 AM

Mein Auto: f30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFord79 View Post
Thanks Acoste and all for the help so far ! i read the link, so maybe im heading torwards timing chain issue? i did look into the oil cap area and did see the chain well part of it . it is tight and shiney. i didn't look for the rubs that were provided by the pic on the link but now im very curious . car is at my father n laws house so i will check out tomorrow. i am taking it to another place tomorrow so at least i can look at it one more time. i will update all the way till the end on this even if it comes down to another engine. i just want to know the darn cause. it is driving me crazy that after all these miles and years now something happened and happened big !!!!
Any news yet as to what happened to your engine??
Old 06-18-2017, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 bmw 328i F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by loggin View Post
Any news yet as to what happened to your engine??

Hello ! Not yet , called Friday afternoon and still needed more time . I will hopefully hear something tomorrow as I don't want to bug the mechanic . I will detail all that I have found and resolution of this issue . Either way this week I will make a decision on if I will resort to a engine swap if nothing happens with repairing this car . Prayers my way . Need my baby back on the road !!

Sent from my iPhone
Old 06-21-2017, 03:55 AM

Hey again ! Ok so the mechanic said I had NO Compression in the engine ! I have heard this for the 3rd time since I have taken it to 3 different places . He is pricing out rebuild parts vs another engine . I already priced out a engine so waiting to see what his numbers are . So question to all about my problem: with this being No Compression, what is having to be replaced to get my engine back to life? Is it completely dead?? I haven't been through this before

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 06-21-2017, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 550i MT
Quote:
with this being No Compression, what is having to be replaced to get my engine back to life? Is it completely dead??
The information "having no compression" worth just as much as saying "the engine is not running". Until they give you more information no one can tell.
1998 BMW 528i MT @ 231k //sold
1997 Saab 9000 //sold
Old 06-21-2017, 09:34 AM
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: Various
My guess is any rebuild is going to cost about the same, if not more, than replacing the engine.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:13 PM

Ok well ordered a engine , will update when it's in and swapped ! Broke the bank a little but like my mom said " you wanted a Beamer " !!!

Old 06-24-2017, 06:20 AM

Mein Auto: f30
Quote:
Ok well ordered a engine , will update when it's in and swapped ! Broke the bank a little but like my mom said " you wanted a Beamer " !!!

So sorry to hear about your predicament!! Yes, please keep us posted..
Old 07-05-2017, 01:33 PM

Hello all , ok so this is where I am so far with my engine issue . Had newer engine installed the last few days and went to shop today . Car starts and no fault codes . Idled for a bit and engine light came on . Few minutes later "DriveTrain Malfunction " warning came on . Shut off car immediately. Mechanic is going to check the spark plugs and coils . He did state that when he pulled off the Turbo from my old engine he notice some oil there , not sure what to make of that , could this be where my problem started ? Any ways I am waiting to hear back from what he finds out and I hope he figures it out . Any questions or suggestions please feel free to hit me up . While I'm waiting I really want to understand if all this and may suggest anything to him . Happy to hear the car run . I bought filter, oil, coolant from dealership .

Sent from my iPhone
Old 07-05-2017, 05:43 PM

Ok all, just got called and car is ready !!! I asked what was the problem from when he started earlier , he replaced the injectors with my existing ones and hasn't had problems since ! He sent me a video with him on the highway rounding bout 80mph. I'll be picking up tomorrow and checking things over myself . I pray this is fixed and no other problems arise . No fault codes or anything as of now . I'll update in a few days about status . This has been one month of a nightmare but I am happy to get my bimmer back !

Sent from my iPhone
Old 07-06-2017, 11:59 AM

Ok , got my ride back all good so far driven bout 80+ miles so far . Mechanic said that he checked compression in newer engine and all 4 were reading differently , 190,140,130, 130 psi . Any suggestion on that area ? Idle is smooth but looked at engine and seem to look like it was shaking slightly not all the time but a little . Now I know this wasn't going to be good as new once I did this swap but any insight is appreciated. I'm a little nervous still with all the crap I been through . He said that when inspecting the turbo that a little oil was visible and that although I may not have seen any leaks under the car that perhaps it was seeping out and blowing out the exhaust ? Not sure I'm keeping an eye and checking oil level when I stop . He said to keep checking it daily to see if it drops .

Old 07-06-2017, 01:52 PM

Here you can read about turbo oil leak:
https://bmwtechnician.com/2016/07/07...o-oil-leaking/

As for the compression, I would expect all cylinders around 180 psi. It may be lower because of improper measurement or a real problem.
You can check the smooth running characteristics of the engine with a BMW software, this would tell if there is a problem
or ask for a leak down test that tells what is the reason for compression loss.
1997 Saab 9000 //sold
Old 07-06-2017, 07:48 PM

Thank u Acoste ! Not sure if mechanic properly tested each cylinder properly obviously only taking his word . I may go to dealership and ask about the leak down test . I would've thought they would have done this in the beginning . I haven't messed with the turbo too much today but everything runs good . This was suggested from my mechanic when I picked the car up this morning . And of course now I'm concerned since all this has been happening, I have spent a lot of money with a rental ,tows , repair , newer engine so you can see my frustration. I'll see what tomorrow brings and keep observing the driving conditions. Will update soon , again thank you for your reply !

Old 07-10-2017, 07:47 PM

Engine diagram for 2012 328i N20 engine / f30 chassis . Was wondering where I can obtain a diagram of the engine . I got it back from the mechanic and would like to learn more in depth with it as well as possibly rebuild it . Any info is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone
Old 07-10-2017, 08:49 PM

Also just update on my car , running great ! Over 250 miles since getting her back and no problems . I got my old engine back and wanting to know where I can get specs or diagram so I can start digging into it and learning to rebuild . Or have better knowledge inside the engine . Any feed back where I can find info is greatly appreciated !!

Old 07-10-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Also just update on my car , running great ! Over 250 miles since getting her back and no problems . I got my old engine back and wanting to know where I can get specs or diagram so I can start digging into it and learning to rebuild . Or have better knowledge inside the engine . Any feed back where I can find info is greatly appreciated !!

Here it is:
N20 Engine Techguide
1997 Saab 9000 //sold
Old 07-11-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoste View Post

Thanks Acoste !

Sent from my iPhone
Old 10-16-2017, 03:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X3 xdrive 28i
Same problem as for our 2013 X3!!!

Hey JFord79,

May I know whether you had a follow-up reply from BMW NA? My wife's car has experienced the exact same symptom as you recently. Slight different from you is that we did our oil change a month ago (but slight over the suggested for 2~3000+miles). A few days ago, she was driving her x3 on the highway, and all of a sudden she heard some weird noise from the frontal part of her car, then she saw a RED light saying "Engine oil low pressure" and followed with a "drive train malfunction", she immediately pulled over her car and parked on the shoulder of the highway. Since then we cannot start the car. We then sent the car to the dealership.

The dealership tells us that "Timing chain slipped, No compression tested from the engine 26,0". We always service our car regularly according to the car's suggestion of needed service and perform oil change. Given that these do not seem like an isolated incident due to the patterns I found by Google other incidents posted on the forum, I wonder whether there is some hidden defects that are uncovered here, if true, we should all unite together and fight for our bimmers.

Best,
SK
Old 10-16-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2222 View Post
Hey JFord79,

May I know whether you had a follow-up reply from BMW NA? My wife's car has experienced the exact same symptom as you recently. Slight different from you is that we did our oil change a month ago (but slight over the suggested for 2~3000+miles). A few days ago, she was driving her x3 on the highway, and all of a sudden she heard some weird noise from the frontal part of her car, then she saw a RED light saying "Engine oil low pressure" and followed with a "drive train malfunction", she immediately pulled over her car and parked on the shoulder of the highway. Since then we cannot start the car. We then sent the car to the dealership.

The dealership tells us that "Timing chain slipped, No compression tested from the engine 26,0". We always service our car regularly according to the car's suggestion of needed service and perform oil change. Given that these do not seem like an isolated incident due to the patterns I found by Google other incidents posted on the forum, I wonder whether there is some hidden defects that are uncovered here, if true, we should all unite together and fight for our bimmers.

Best,
SK

Hi Wc2222

check here: bmw-rp.com if your engine is covered with the extended warranty for this issue.

Once you enter your VIN, it will either say, it's not covered or it will show a form to fill out for repair costs reimbursement.
1997 Saab 9000 //sold
Old 10-16-2017, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X3 xdrive 28i
Hey acoste,

Thanks for your quick reply!

I've checked on bmw-rp.com that my car has listed 4 choice, I am not sure which one to choose for next? My car's warranty had expired as my wife forget to renew it, though we know some parts may have extended warranty due to some letters we received from BMW in the past 4 years.

For our case like this(as posted by JFord79), which choice should we choose to proceed? Could you please shed some light on the following here?

1. BMW N20 AND N26 Engine Timing Chain and Oil Pump Drive
2. BMW ELW N20/N26 Turbo Oil Feed Line
3. BMW N20 Pressure Switch - Leak Diagnosis Module (NLVD)
4. B ELW N20 Coolant Thermostat

#4 item reminds me of a previous repair in BMW that they held my car for like 2~3 months to just wait for replacing a Thermostat, not sure that is related to this defect we are hitting here.

Additionally, I really want to find out whether people like JFord79 figure out the root cause that contributed the catastrophic failure to their engine.

Much thanks for any help!

Best,
SK
Old 10-16-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2222 View Post
Hey acoste,

Thanks for your quick reply!

I've checked on bmw-rp.com that my car has listed 4 choice, I am not sure which one to choose for next? My car's warranty had expired as my wife forget to renew it, though we know some parts may have extended warranty due to some letters we received from BMW in the past 4 years.

For our case like this(as posted by JFord79), which choice should we choose to proceed? Could you please shed some light on the following here?

1. BMW N20 AND N26 Engine Timing Chain and Oil Pump Drive
2. BMW ELW N20/N26 Turbo Oil Feed Line
3. BMW N20 Pressure Switch - Leak Diagnosis Module (NLVD)
4. B ELW N20 Coolant Thermostat

#4 item reminds me of a previous repair in BMW that they held my car for like 2~3 months to just wait for replacing a Thermostat, not sure that is related to this defect we are hitting here.

Additionally, I really want to find out whether people like JFord79 figure out the root cause that contributed the catastrophic failure to their engine.

Much thanks for any help!

Best,
SK
Your recent problems are related to #1 BMW N20 AND N26 Engine Timing Chain and Oil Pump Drive
If I remember correctly they cover this up to 7 years / 75k miles but check it on your records.

If you are above the mileage limit, I think you still have a good chance of getting this under warranty since this is a well known weakness and BMW acknowledged it by extending the warranty due to this issue.
1997 Saab 9000 //sold

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search