Spare Tire Option - Flexibility to remove? - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)

G30 (2017 - Current)
The next generation 5 Series, chassis code G30, arrives at dealers in February 2017. Looking like a scaled down 7 Series and riding on the CLAR platform, the new 5 Series will have a focus on lightweight and sporty performance. Engines options will come from BMW's new B family for the 530 and 540 and a turbocharged V8 for the M550i. Read more about the 2017 5 Series

Old 08-26-2019, 01:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2020 M Sport 540i ordered
Removal instructions from the owner's manual:

I'm just going to bump this important old thread and add the PDF from the online owners manual - perhaps a better image than steve090619 posted 2.5 years ago.

I recently placed an order for 2020 540i, and my CA questioned why I wanted the Space-Saver Spare on my build.

I told him I was going to remove it and store it. I wanted it in case I ended up hating the run flats.

Most client advisors still do not know this is a removable device. Truly a no-brainer at $150 when the car is ordered. So much more costly if you want one later. Easily sold on E-bay at a sweet multiple of what you paid if you decide some day you will never use it.

Indeed unfortunate this space-saver spare is almost never seen on dealership lot cars.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf G30 Emergency Wheel Removal.pdf (704.7 KB, 27 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2019, 02:42 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
My most recent opportunity to use a compact spare was on the slopes of Haleakala above Makawao on a substandard road in the rain in a rental car. It was raining.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:28 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 540i; 428 GC; 340i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiSteve View Post
I'm just going to bump this important old thread and add the PDF from the online owners manual - perhaps a better image than steve090619 posted 2.5 years ago.

I recently placed an order for 2020 540i, and my CA questioned why I wanted the Space-Saver Spare on my build.

I told him I was going to remove it and store it. I wanted it in case I ended up hating the run flats.
It also opens up a lot of possibilities for non-run-flat winter tires. There aren't many good RFT winter tires out there - the Pirelli Sottozeros are among the worst tires I've ever had - they handle terribly and wear out unbelievably quickly. Having the spare gives you the flexibility to run Haaka's or the Blizzak of your choosing.
2016 428 GC MSport

Prior BMW's
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 08-27-2019, 06:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2017 540ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
First, having a spare allows you to drive on non-RFT snow tires with at least some peace of mind. That's important for those of us who live int he snow belt and realize "All Season" tires are a marketing scam.

Second, you can drive a punctured, deflating RFT for no more than 50 miles, at no more than 50 mph. Ever stopped to think of what you would do if you got a flat on a Sunday, in the middle of nowhere, when the nearest tire store was 100 miles away and they didn't open till Monday morning? And even then, it would take them 48 hours to have a tire shipped in, because Joe's Tires and Appliances in East Bumfrick has never carried a tire in the size you need, let alone one that matches your other 3 tires?
Would BMW roadside service not have a role to play in this scenario? I would hope so.

Current BMW

2017 BMW 540ix
Dark Graphite Metallic/Ivory
Prior BMWs
2014 BMW 535ix
Imperial Blue/Beige interior
2011 528i
Cashmere Silver/Black Dakota
2001 530i Sport (deceased)
Cosmos Black
Other
2018 Subaru Legacy 3.6R
1977 Corvette 383 Stroker
Old 08-27-2019, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRBob View Post
Would BMW roadside service not have a role to play in this scenario? I would hope so.
They tow you to the nearest BMW dealership, and that's it.

Here's an example of what the monkeyassduck is talking about, the once proud F25 X3 owner and his $1400 flat tire...

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=917185

We waited for the G01 X3, which offers a spare tire and a hole to put it in under the cargo area floor. If the G01 didn't offer a spare, I was going to buy Frau Putzer an Audi Q5 and send a picture of it to BMW NA.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:36 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 540i; 428 GC; 340i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRBob View Post
Here's a scenario to mull over.

I was up in Presque Isle ME earlier this week. The nearest BMW dealer is in Westbrook, ME, about 300 miles away. If I didn't have a spare and got a flat on Saturday night, I'd press the BMW Assist button. The nice folks would send a contracted service out to me; depending on how close the contracted service provider is, that might take an hour or two.

Hopefully, the contracted roadside service provider would show up with a flatbed (though this is "my brother Darryl and my other brother Darryl" country, so you never know). They'd load the 540 on the flat bed and drive it the 300 miles to Westbrook.

How would I get to Westbrook? I have no clue. Maybe brush some of the empty Skoal cans and beef jerky wrappers off the seat and ride with Darryl and Darryl for 5 hours, listening to his stories of life in the trailer park and his interesting choice of music? We'd get to the dealership (closed) drop the car in the lot, and then .... I try to find a hotel with a room? And get there by Uber?

When the dealership opens on Monday morning, I'd learn that they don't have my Summer Performance Tire in stock in my size, and they can't have one shipped in till Tuesday. If I'm lucky they will have a loaner for me. Which would be fitting because I will be paying full BMW retail for the tire.

Since I have a spare, I have other options. Rather than go on an "adventure" with the Darryl Boys, I can have the spare mounted, drive myself to Westbrook, or buy a tire on Tire Rack (for a significant savings) and have it shipped to a qualified mechanic in Presque Isle, Bangor or Augusta for installation.

Much less inconvenient than having to bond with Darryl and Darryl.
2016 428 GC MSport

Prior BMW's
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 08-29-2019, 06:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
Here's a scenario to mull over.

I was up in Presque Isle ME earlier this week. The nearest BMW dealer is in Westbrook, ME, about 300 miles away. If I didn't have a spare and got a flat on Saturday night, I'd press the BMW Assist button. The nice folks would send a contracted service out to me; depending on how close the contracted service provider is, that might take an hour or two.

Hopefully, the contracted roadside service provider would show up with a flatbed (though this is "my brother Darryl and my other brother Darryl" country, so you never know). They'd load the 540 on the flat bed and drive it the 300 miles to Westbrook.

How would I get to Westbrook? I have no clue. Maybe brush some of the empty Skoal cans and beef jerky wrappers off the seat and ride with Darryl and Darryl for 5 hours, listening to his stories of life in the trailer park and his interesting choice of music? We'd get to the dealership (closed) drop the car in the lot, and then .... I try to find a hotel with a room? And get there by Uber?

When the dealership opens on Monday morning, I'd learn that they don't have my Summer Performance Tire in stock in my size, and they can't have one shipped in till Tuesday. If I'm lucky they will have a loaner for me. Which would be fitting because I will be paying full BMW retail for the tire.

Since I have a spare, I have other options. Rather than go on an "adventure" with the Darryl Boys, I can have the spare mounted, drive myself to Westbrook, or buy a tire on Tire Rack (for a significant savings) and have it shipped to a qualified mechanic in Presque Isle, Bangor or Augusta for installation.

Much less inconvenient than having to bond with Darryl and Darryl.
You'd appreciate Darryl and Darryl if you ran up against the "squeal like a pig, boy" guy and his friends from Deliverance, instead.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:28 AM

Mein Auto: 540i xdrive
Even folks with runflats can benefit from a spare if the sidewall is cut which is what happened to me a few years ago with my F10. No spare and in need of a flatbed... BMW wouldnít tow it to my local tire shop only to a BMW dealer so I had to call Geico for a flatbed tow. Of course it was after hours so I had it towed to my home that night and then to the tire shop in the morning. Ugh, definitely a hassle that would have been a little easier with a spare thatís available for a G30. Fortunately with the fold down read seats the lack of height in the trunk doesnít hurt me too much most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)
Today's Posts Search