DPF soot rising very quickly prompting too frequent regens? - Page 6 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-09-2019, 04:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35d, MY2011 150,000 mi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitocross View Post
. . . The reason why you do have mileage differences in you table is, because there are intermediate regenerations happening (for various reasons and needs - triggered by the computer). Those often end earlier and do not reset the "counter" - meaning, no successfully finished regen is recorded, even though your soot will be low low.
160-200miles between (or approx 200-300+) is a normal distance between two regens happening (in reality), and likely happened even though it recorded 300+ miles in the table. I have been checking this very often.

And I have an Euro E70 and I cannot trigger a regen before calculated soot level reaches 50g, in any case.
You are absolutely right . . . I have noticed EGT climbing up to 300-350C and holding . . . I call these passive regens, and they do not reset the regen counter. Next time I observe these I will keep an eye on the soot level.

Yes, I assumed the soot in grams is a Carly computed value . . . for my purposes it is good enough, I am only looking to see what is happening, not looking for an exact measurement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smassey321 View Post
. . . Is Carly the best tool for manually kicking off a regen while driving? I own carly it but rarely use it because I prefer ISTA+ and a laptop size screen.
For me Carly was the best option - OBD reader remains in the car (unplugged), so the setup to monitor takes less than half a minute . . . dragging a laptop out each time I want to monitor something is just too tedious.

Quote:
You will not be able to trigger regens manually.Carly "waits" until 50g soot level is reached before triggering a regen even when you do a manual request.
But you also need parameters for regeneration - temperature, rpms, speed, no fault codes, ...etc. That is hardly achievable with cold morning starts and short distances.
Didn't know this . . . there is a manual regen function in Carly, never used it . . . for me, almost always, when soot level reaches ~30 grams, the car triggers an active regen, and about 15-20 minutes later, soot level is down to near zero and EGT drops first to ~300C and then back to normal running temp (about 230C). After a key-off, the regen counter resets by one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2019, 02:22 AM

Mein Auto: E70 3.0sd
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPsX5d View Post
Didn't know this . . . there is a manual regen function in Carly, never used it . . . for me, almost always, when soot level reaches ~30 grams, the car triggers an active regen, and about 15-20 minutes later, soot level is down to near zero and EGT drops first to ~300C and then back to normal running temp (about 230C). After a key-off, the regen counter resets by one.
We probably have a little different versions of engines because of where we live. Try the manual request in Carly. For me it never did anything. Always waited for min. 50g of soot.
30g for my car is sort of a mid level.
After regen finishes in my car, the counter immediatelly sets value to 0 or 1 - depends if it was completed to 0g or not. Key-off has no effect on this.
Just some interesting differences.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35d, MY2011 150,000 mi
Quote:
We probably have a little different versions of engines because of where we live. Try the manual request in Carly. For me it never did anything. Always waited for min. 50g of soot.
30g for my car is sort of a mid level.
After regen finishes in my car, the counter immediatelly sets value to 0 or 1 - depends if it was completed to 0g or not. Key-off has no effect on this.
Just some interesting differences.
Yes, I will try and do a manual regen next time the soot level is over 25 grams and see what happens.

My X5d:
X5 E70 LCI BMW X5 35dX // Type Code: ZW03 // Type: GEFZG // Engine: M57Y

Key-off . . . I was referring to the no. of successful regen read by Carly . . . e.g. if the counter was at 570 and an active regen is triggered, you will notice the soot level drop, after the soot level reaches close to zero, the EGT will start to drop . . . but the 570 number stays the same. The next time I start the car, the regen counter will read 571.

Soot level and when regen is triggered varies a LOT . . . I have never seen a regen triggered with soot level below 15 grams . . . all of the regens I have observed were above 20 grams . . . some as high as mid 30 grams . . . I don't recall seeing a soot level over 40 grams.

As others have pointed out - many parameters have to cross a threshold before an active regen is triggered, the soot level is only one of the many. I only watch the soot level to see if the active regen takes the soot level down to near zero grams. Again the soot level figure is a Carly computed number, so, at best, a decent estimate.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: '08, 3.0D X3. ~100,000km'
2008 E83 X3 3.0d.......overall, has not been a great experience with this car but if nothing else, I have become used to or 'adapted to' to what's required to keep the engine performance somewhat consistent.
DPF....like others here have outlined, continues to be central to the demise of the power output but, as I have learnt from the car I have, it reads as if there are multiple attributes with these engines that "have to be" at 100% for engine to be optimal......any hint of a part or item being out of spec tends to result in the fuel management going way off song.
Type of oil is critical. I replace oil & filter every 10,000km.....regardless of the so called extended service life fodder.
I have a pattern where I drop out the DPF every 3 months and clean it by a loose method of soaking it with up to 2 cans of oven cleaner and a bottle of methylated spirits.....vigorously hose it out between doses of oven cleaner.
Not a pretty process.

After a clean, reset the adaptive settings and perform a DPF pressure test via DIS.......essential.

Items which have defeated or affected the DPF operation on the car ......
Glow plugs
Oxygen sensor
DPF temperature probe
EGR valve clogged

Glow plugs are constantly failing.....every 12 months a new batch start to fail....... a real PIA to change as the manifold has to be off to complete the swap - had one controller fail as well.
Oxygen sensor - original unit was not faulty but as I had discovered via other forums, oxygen sensors don't fail outright per say but rather they become less sensitive or response times become lethargic. Replacing the oxy sensor "seemed" to increase the length of period between DPF cleans and DPF appeared to be not so dense of soot when cleaned out (possibly less fuel burnt??)......purely my subjective observation.
DPF temperature probe damage by previous owner.
EGR valve (at throttle body) constantly clogged and cleaned every 3 months with the DPF.

In essence what I have learnt, the use of diesel power in a family based car is not suitable operation to live day to day low load/low speed driving.
Diesel engines are best at full load.... I cannot manage that.
Diesel is a bi-product fuel - a dirty fuel.
Any systems engineered to "clean" the exhaust, then potentially become the problem and so on and so on.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:55 PM

Mein Auto: e70 X5d, e36 M3
This may have been said in the previous 130-or-so posted, but Ive gone through a bit of a learning curve. Here is the summary:

1) use engine oil specific to modern diesels. Edycol knows a lot. Check his posts. Change oil more frequently than BMW spec. My preference is every 5,000 miles, but this can be debated forever.

2) almost all downstream DPF issues are caused by upstream problems. Check all vacuum hoses and any hose that carries pressurized air. In my opinion, charge air cooler hose seals need to be replaced at a particular mileage/time interval. Also, the MAP sensor (near the back of the intake manifold) should be replaced preventatively at something around 100,000 miles. Also, the small hose that works as our PCV generally starts to leak/crack after a number of years/miles. Replace it. AARodriguez makes a replacement for $15...with a lifetime warranty.

3) Highway drives are important. The DPF and SCR need to get up to temperature to work properly. This also means check your thermostat. The exhaust also has temperature and pressure sensors that I am sure have a useful life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2019, 03:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 E70 3.0d
just to provide a further data point to all things DPFs and swirl flaps...

I had the swirl flaps removed and capped about 2 years ago in mine. The caps used were supposedly good quality (purchased from the UK for about $90AUD) but a few failed after 2 years and I developed an oil leak. Had the mechanic investigate and he thought the o rings used were not up to the task. He replaced the caps with a new improved model that his shop had had developed by a local engineering company that makes bespoke parts. Fitted now and so far so good.

Interestingly - the mechanics own car was a LCI e70 x5 - and he was just as frustrated with the DPF in his own car. He, like Mitocross, had come to the conclusion that the swirl flaps are necessary particularly when coupled with lots of idling/driving in the city. He was investigating having some reinforced bespoke swirl flaps made up to couple with a reconditioned manifold - along the lines of what Mitocross did with a reconditioned unit from https://www.pmgtechnik.com/en

So I'm interested to see what happens with his car - then may or may not do the same with mine. if the new swirl flap caps don't leak and it doesn't throw any DPF errors for a while maybe i can limp to the end of ownership with it - i give it a few more years

Pete
Old 09-03-2019, 12:56 AM

Mein Auto: E70 3.0sd

Here is an update about the PMG Technik manifold with new reinforced swirl flaps I installed 6 months ago:
All six flaps developed leaks around the axles and fittings. Five months and 15000km ran. Whistling of air escaping around the flaps was heard later. I had to have the manifold removed and installed a new OEM manifold with original swirl flaps. The "old" manifold has just been picked up by UPS to be inspected by PMG. I will update after I have news from them.
So the PMG option seems not so good now. I was very optimistic about it at first.

Last edited by mitocross; 09-03-2019 at 12:57 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search