Next Generation All Digital Dash? - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)

G30 (2017 - Current)
The next generation 5 Series, chassis code G30, arrives at dealers in February 2017. Looking like a scaled down 7 Series and riding on the CLAR platform, the new 5 Series will have a focus on lightweight and sporty performance. Engines options will come from BMW's new B family for the 530 and 540 and a turbocharged V8 for the M550i. Read more about the 2017 5 Series

Old 08-11-2019, 07:04 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kssod View Post
HUD is great at night. Worthesss during the day as can't see it with polarized sunglasses. If my 12 yr old C6 has a HUD that works with Maui Jims so should my G30. Seeing the road and eliminating glare is more important to me than the HUD.
It's not a matter of the C6 having a better HUD it's a matter of which direction it's polarized and which direction the glasses are polarized. A friend of mine has 3 computer monitors, 2 are polarized in one direction and 1 in another (same monitor). With my sunglasses on 2 are black and 1 is not. If I rotate the glasses 90 degrees which monitor(s) are polarized changes.

Unfortunately I don't know if any sunglasses (or cars for that matter) that talk about the direction their stuff is polarized, you're just stuck with trying glasses until a pair work or going non-polarized for in the car.

So, you just got lucky with your Maui Jims and the C6 and could have just as easily been unlucky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019, 07:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Acura RL
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlaak View Post
It's not a matter of the C6 having a better HUD it's a matter of which direction it's polarized and which direction the glasses are polarized. A friend of mine has 3 computer monitors, 2 are polarized in one direction and 1 in another (same monitor). With my sunglasses on 2 are black and 1 is not. If I rotate the glasses 90 degrees which monitor(s) are polarized changes.

Unfortunately I don't know if any sunglasses (or cars for that matter) that talk about the direction their stuff is polarized, you're just stuck with trying glasses until a pair work or going non-polarized for in the car.

So, you just got lucky with your Maui Jims and the C6 and could have just as easily been unlucky.
As an Optometrist I can tell you all polarized glasses are designed to block horizontal reflected light, as this is the source of glare from the road surface. So it is more up to the car designers to create a HUD that works with the sunglasses than finding sunglasses that work with the HUD.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
As an Optometrist I can tell you all polarized glasses are designed to block horizontal reflected light, as this is the source of glare from the road surface. So it is more up to the car designers to create a HUD that works with the sunglasses than finding sunglasses that work with the HUD.
Maybe. Almost all reflections (from road, snow, hood, ocean, etc.) are from horizontal surfaces, so polarized glasses /should/ have vertical slits, preventing horizontal reflections from going through.

On the other hand, head-up displays would, I think, be reflected off the windshield, resulting also in horizontal reflections, which would then be filtered out, or at least reduced.

Perhaps HUD (some at least) /illuminate/ the glass (like it would if it were frosted, or with some strong lasers), relying on that illumination rather than the actual reflection?

But assuming it is reflection, it would seem that HUD reflections and natural reflections are both close to the same geometrically, and that it would be difficult to filter one and not the other.

It is also the case that it would make no sense for polarized sunglasses manufacturers to make differently polarized lenses. For what? To stop side reflection from vertical windows, like in skyscrapers?
Old 08-11-2019, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
Quote:
Why? If the HUD in cars is the major problem with polarized sunglasses, and folks use polarized sun glasses for many, many different purposes, why in the world is it on the eyeglass makers to make the adjustment?

And what does your being an optometrist have to do with this choice? You are not opining on lens qualilty, you are expressing a view about who should adjust their products.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto:
I quick Google of polarized sunglasses and head-up displays gives dozens of answers, many of them here on non-G30 forums. General consensus is: don't use polarized sunglasses, or just tilt your head slightly when you want to read the display.

Personally, I never use polarized sunglasses, although I'd like to, because they're never dark enough. They by design reduce light about 50%, and my sensitive eyes need lenses much darker, and I've never found lenses tinted dark enough /and/ polarized. Oh, and my head doesn't tilt well, so....
Old 08-11-2019, 08:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 M3
If you can afford this car with a HUD, you can afford an extra pair of non-polarized glasses kept in the car. There are great sunglasses that are not polarized and offer excellent lenses for driving, including being useful in late afternoon. Serengeti Drivers are the top choice - many a pilots favorite.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:02 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
If you can afford this car with a HUD, you can afford an extra pair of non-polarized glasses kept in the car. There are great sunglasses that are not polarized and offer excellent lenses for driving, including being useful in late afternoon. Serengeti Drivers are the top choice - many a pilots favorite.
Agreed. I keep sunglasses in each of my cars anyhow. I like the Serengeti and like the idea of graduated glasses (to more easily see backup camera details and such on the dash, but darken the sun), but need the top portion of the sunglasses to be very dark, as my eyes are extremely sensitive to sunlight. Any you'd recommend that are darker than most? (Many I've seen that aren't graduated also aren't that dark.)

Oh, and sorry OP, this topic has gotten seriously off-topic.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rraisley View Post
Agreed. I keep sunglasses in each of my cars anyhow. I like the Serengeti and like the idea of graduated glasses (to more easily see backup camera details and such on the dash, but darken the sun), but need the top portion of the sunglasses to be very dark, as my eyes are extremely sensitive to sunlight. Any you'd recommend that are darker than most? (Many I've seen that aren't graduated also aren't that dark.)
I have used Serengeti Drivers for years. I am also sensitive to bright sun and they work well. The Drivers lenses provide the best driving solution I have found and allow for the HUD to be read easily and still provide an optimum of sun protection. They are "engineered to transmit and distinguish red, green and yellow colors and enhances colors and contrast, while lightening and darkening to provide optimal light transmission".
Old 08-18-2019, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: 17 540iX, Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by rraisley View Post

Oh, and sorry OP, this topic has gotten seriously off-topic.
My situation is just the opposite...I like sunglasses for the car which have relatively low levels of darkness.

I've had this polarization problem with HUDs for about 15 years as several of the Corvettes I've owned have HUDs.

I have used Oakley glasses with non-polarized lenses that I keep in the car solely for car use. Not all sunglass companies make non-polarized lenses. When I buy new non-polarized glasses, I typically buy an extra set of lenses as lenses ultimately will scratch and it takes less than a minute to replace lenses if you have an extra set of lenses.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2019 540iX
I just drove a new X5 with the all digital dash - hated it honestly.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLF750 View Post
I just drove a new X5 with the all digital dash - hated it honestly.
BMW tried to get too creative and screwed up.
I much prefer others manufacturers' dashboard gauges. Audi, Hyundai (no jokes), etc.

I'm not in love with M-B.

BMW CCA # 493835
Old 08-23-2019, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: 540i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post
I much prefer others manufacturers' dashboard gauges. Audi, Hyundai (no jokes), etc.

I like iDrive 6 digital cluster. Haven't use iD 7. Re: getting too creative and screwing it up, IMO BMW's CEO and chief designer should be sumarily fired for those hideous Bucky Beaver grilles.

2019 540i M Sport: Carbon Black Metallic/Napa Ivory MC - ZMP, ZP2, ZPK, ZPX, ZDB, 2NH, 456, 2VH, 4M5, 4U1, 688
2013 328i M Sport: Estoril Blue - Premium, Tech, Lighting, HK Audio, PDC/Backup Cam, HUD, M Sport Wheel, Heated Leather Sport Seats, Unbadged
BMWCCA: 545538 (Cars aren't assets, they are consumables)
Old 08-30-2019, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i sport
I used to like the combo in my previous 5 but in my 2019 I cant say I miss it. Especially like the way the dials show how far over speed limit etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 08-30-2019, 09:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i sport
As far as polarized debate. They glasses stink for any display not just HUD. They make
It annoying to read iphone

Old 09-04-2019, 06:15 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2016 Chevrolet Tahoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post

We have a current generation C300. It's a great car, although what you hear about the dash materials being a little brittle (albeit gorgeous) is true.

The dials are fine. I'm not a fan of the bold/italic font MB uses for the digital displays. It looks a bit overthought.

The MMI in general is too fussy by half, much like the current BMW systems. I have a 2016 Tahoe with a touchscreen MMI system that is far easier to use.

I believe you about Hyundai and also Kia. Amazing products coming out of that company. I'm not sold on reliability, but chances are it's in the middle of the reliability cluster where everybody except Honda, Toyota, and Porsche are.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklyn550 View Post
As far as polarized debate. They glasses stink for any display not just HUD. They make
It annoying to read iphone

That's not true. The Google Pixels use circular polarization and they are completely usable with my polarized sunglasses on.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)
Today's Posts Search