Smart Opener Mod on my 2013 E70 LCI - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 E70 x35i
Smart Opener Mod on my 2013 E70 LCI

Like many I enjoy modifying my vehicles. I have only had the X5 for a few months, but have managed to accomplish many interesting upgrades.

This one turned out so fabulous that I figured it would be fun to share! I bet some of you out there will dig it, too.

This one is for retrofitting the Tailgate Smart Opener. Apparently, this was not offered as a factory option on our E70's. Very disappointing and confusing because it is so cool!

Further investigation led me to Richard Bevan's DIY for retrofitting his 2011 F10 5-series. He did a fab job documenting the task. I am merely adding to it by describing my E70 specific install.

Here we go...

Parts:

Top Sensor 61357391042
Bottom Sensor 61357391043
Control unit, Smart Opener 61357422700 these first 3 parts eBay used $60
Adapter Plastic Plate 51127331599 eBay new $43
Repair kit, socket housing 61132359997 eBay new $18
BMW Smart Opener Driver for E and F-Series from Customretrofit.ro new 175Euros!
Plastic Rivet Tool & Rivets from Harbor Freight new $17
Big Fat Tough Tie Wraps to hold on the adapter plate - you can see them in the photos
JB Weld Epoxy to fix the bumper tab clip I broke removing the cover
New bumper reflector which chipped upon removal - eBay new $18

Tips:

-The bumper is a pain to remove without damaging things. I had a couple of small calamities, but nothing which wasn't easily fixed. Also, I put silicone paste on all the plastic clip attachment points before reassembly - far more likely to let go rather than snap now.

-All the wiring can be found in the passenger side cargo area fusebox area. This is the only place I had to bring my wires into.

-Soldering the connections is the way to go. Don't cut any of the factory wiring - simply strip the insulation with an xacto knife and solder your new wire on!

-I use Coroplast automotive tape to permanently cover the solder points and it looks factory, as well.

-The 3 pin connector (Repair kit, Socket) requires a fancy pin crimper to terminate a wire properly. I had this tool already but is pretty expensive to buy. I suggest looking for your used BMW controller with the plug and snipped wires included that way you can solder to the connector wires and avoid the hassle with a new socket.

-You'll have to unclip the harness for the rear PDC sensors to give it a little extra room to snake around your new Smart Opener assembly. Easy.

-I believe you must have the Comfort Access option on your vehicle to get this working. It has to sense the FOB in your pocket to function appropriately.

-Don't drill the steel bumper. It is too hard and your holes would weaken it, anyways.

-I know the tie-wraps sound cheesy for mounting the Sensor plate... You would not believe how perfect it ends up positioning the sensor plate! All of the bumper mounting bolts go back in correctly and it is as secure as if it were put there by BMW. Even the angle of the thing ends up being correct and square - An amazing coincidence.
Click image for larger version

Name:	4. Amazingly Perfect Location for Sensors - small.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	863531

Name:	5. BMW Smart Opener Controller Pinout.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	863533

Name:	6. Smart Opener Driver - Wiring Diagram E70 LCI.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	863535

Name:	6a. Smart Opener Driver - Fusebox Details.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	863537

Name:	7a End Results - small.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	863539

Name:	7d End Results Underside - small.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	863541
It functions perfectly and just how you would expect. Give a "little soccer kick" under the bumper and up pops the tailgate! Closes just the same. The Comfort Access system makes sure nothing unexpected happens depending upon whether your truck is open or locked. I can't find fault with it.

Sorry about the small attachments - I had to downsize everything to stay under my upload limit.

Hope this helps somebody. I know I sure got a lot of satisfaction from this job. I probably have twelve hours in it total. I really take my time as anything is usually better than honey-dos waiting on me! Ha.

Cheers,
Dan
St. Louis

Last edited by Tomcat05; 09-04-2019 at 09:56 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search