Build Log: M57 X5 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E61
Build Log: M57 X5

Hi, my name is Evan and I like to modify BMWs.

Here are some of my old and current projects:

Imola Red E39 M5:
https://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/ca...ded-clean.html

E39 540iT:
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1245562

535xi E61 Touring:
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1314813

The "N54 Powered E61 M5 Wagon"
https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36899

The new addition to the fleet is a 2012 X5 diesel. I am very excited about this as a project since at the heart of this vehicle is the M57 motor which is wildly underappreciated in the US. Offering torque, reliability, and efficiency it's has great attributes for a fun daily driver.

The plans for this is vehicle are fairly conservative relative to my other projects and the plan is to enhance the performance, dynamics, and reliability while not sacrificing anything in exchange. Plans include:

- F85 X5M or F10 M5 brakes
- F10 M5 steering wheel
- JR 2.8 tune and supporting mods
- XHP X Delete and Transmission tune
- Upgraded headlights, fog lights, and reverse light
- Style 612M wheels (done)
- Revised Fitment (taller tires, KW V3 or springs)
- 3rd row delete, rear seat entertainment delete
- Stealth tow hitch.
- Fender flared, M Sport front bumper
- Clear Bra + Tint
- etc. etc. etc.

Here are the stock specs:

08/2012
78,XXX
Platinum Grey Metallic over Black
1 owner Southern California vehicle
Premium Package
Sport Package
Comfort Access
Comfort Seats: Heated/Ventilated/Active Driver
Heated Rear Seats + Steering Wheel
Technology Pakcage
Lighting Package
3rd Row + Rear Air Suspension
Rear Seat Entertainment
Soft Close Doors

LET'S GO!!!!

A rare picture of one of my vehicles in stock form...

Pulling in the garage after driving it home

Had some 612M wheels waiting

Style 335 (19") vs Style 612 (21")

Ooooffffph

Saving 10-12lbs a corner of unsprung mass and rotational weight, nice!

Hubs were a little rusty so I hit it with a wire brush and applied some anti-seize.

Much better, Day 1 was a success

Interior received an emergency cleaning to remove all the oily/greasy/nasty interior shine the dealership covered everything with.

Next up was debadging the tailgate and front doors. Heat gun, plstic razor, some "finger grease" and goo gone.

Followed up with the DA polisher and some Chemical Guys V36

Much better

This stupid thing....

Hope the BMW engineer who thought this was a good way to store the DVD screen was fired....

Phone cradle delete, will follow up with the OEM delete plate later

More chrome delete. Exhaust tips were removed, cleaned, scuffed, cleaned, primed, and painted with satin black high temp paint

Rear reflectors were also dipped black, don't worry I have some color matched paint on the way and will DIY color match the F/R reflectors

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/GV0rSLT5fP7rHWtVEIpcu_wA1kTpbkUQtx3i1aARUSE4TQZ-vdRl1z2Q-GL800WEmG8VPGs--p-qxRNc-gv6NcB3S6aF5J1vjWCj8-PTbP_t1Xm_z1QpxeH12rJ1NZSFtenPOyfRLdzv02fWw456Mkjs 3589nLmRfLrRTogieoA9ZmRioR2CnjX5jGZKlRDT3M2R-7k4azYloO1Fyokm3Ndb0jbg1jvUlB2stWAWZMa1t-v3_D1uIAiqOatVkLhIwLKigE6xANeoVT2RGsguS5TGhN1K9SJ9 F5ZwV_-0GQ6sIH74DSC3FrGpyazDity21e3R3iymPG1gfzxCrV9RpKnXr V__CV0rCJT2UVRLNhyfaijkRCBPuW8ZDVzsipw6r0AGXAM-4tmPfqHOyFoIGd_mEDkYkGI3w7s2mWEbnejDW0AZhxZiSU_CeD lizr2-fxYSMjmzd0h_YjyfLCGaEViP1izR****9JHklPzKY5r3Sfzbs6 23IL2FD_G92kGIfgbUO9dgjyDSgax8HF5ihwH5qYD3v22IT5Xe CZ1cqaAu2zJH93sPNHAPsMvqoAocueKrq1ninDV8DYSdBWMUrq W8I5NzvTL0hlVmTVsfjoEudTup8ODkkwbahaHMRsKArYGL2cq9 _j2ZxTA67cOPUiiZYBgEqHVj=w1300-h976-no[/IMG]

Monochromatic roundals

Disassembled the kidney grills and dipped the chrome, I like how it came out, the black offers a nice contrast to the titanium slats.

Clean as you go

I had some gloss black vinyl left over from a project so I wrapped the front reflectors, I can't stand amber

Here is a before/after with all the above changes.

After

X5 didn't come with a cargo cover but thankfully I found one locally in great condition for a great price

Put the mountain bike racks on

- KW V3, RD Sport Sways, UR Strut Braces, Forgestar F14 SDC
- Manual Swap, MFactory SMFW, Spec Stg 3+ Clutch, Shiftteck SSK
- EOS Port Injection Manifold, Fuel-It: Stg 2 LPFP +Ethanol Sensor
- N54B30, JB4, Hexon RR550s, Custom Y-Pipe Inlet, AR DPs, 3" Exhaust, VRSF 7" IC, ER CP, Tial BOV, RB PCV, BMS OCC

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2019, 02:42 PM

Backing up X5s info for XHP license

As a temp solution until I really upgrade the headlights I replaced the stock bulbs with some Osram CBB, not cheap but as you can see they offer much better intensity than the old stock bulbs

Operation "kill all amber" continues with some LED turn signal bulbs

Removed the bumper and the lower splash shields to poke around see what's what. Everything is very clean and no major oil leaks. Very un-BMW

Garage TVs/Monitors FTW

Flashed XHP XDelete. I like run this on one of my E61 wagons and really like the refined steering feel. With no servotronic and 285 tires up front the steering is a bit heavy so I am hoping this will help that a bit, it might also improve fuel efficiency.

With the bumper off I decided to continue blacking out some items.

The small silver romboid around the front cameras was particularly annoying and after exmaining it's texture I wasn't confident paint would adhere well to it so I removed the reflectors and wrapped the complete assembly in gloss black (had it lying around). It looks SO much better IMO.

My goal was to run the beefiest setup possible. The tires already have enough width so increasing the aspect ratio is next, I am a big fan of running taller tires as it adds more cushion for ride comfort and also help fill the wheel wells. The X5 is in particular need of this but unfortunately the wheel carrier/upper ball joint is in a rather inconvenient location.

Stock Michelin PSSs are 285/35 325/30. I found some 285/45 325/40 Continental 5Ps which are OEM equipment on AMG Mercedes SUVs. I found a front tire on eBay and purchased it to test fit....

Here is the stock 285/45 Michelin

285/45 Continental

Bummer

In addition to the spindle-tire contact the inner edge of the tires would have rubbed at full lock so this tire size NOT working was for the best but in terms of added tire meat and the juggernaut like aesthetics it would have been exactly what I was shooting for.

When the dust settled and the tire was returned I was only out $35 for 2 tire mountings, 1 balancing, and return shipping on the tire so it was a worth while experiment, now I know.

Moving forward I need to decide if I should go with taller but slightly narrower 275/40 315/35 Hankook S1 Nobles (OE Porsche tires) or just stick with the wider but shorter Michelins. For now I might just run the Michelins until they are toast and then revisit options.

To make sure steering feel and lightness was optimized I also flushed the PS fluid with some new CHF11s

A couple updated pics, killed many bugs driving out to Lake Havasu, AZ for Easter

- N54B30, JB4, Hexon RR550s, Custom Y-Pipe Inlet, AR DPs, 3" Exhaust, VRSF 7" IC, ER CP, Tial BOV, RB PCV, BMS OCC

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 04-29-2019, 03:11 PM

Had some time to dig a little deep into the engine bay. Removed the intake manifold to check carbon.

Not too bad, this is the runner in valve cover

Swirl flap

Bottom of flaps were weeping.

Plan was to delete the flaps but ordered the wrong (22mm) plugs. SMH

Decided to clean the manifold. Technique was a good soaking in Super Clean followed by power washing and proved to be quite effective.

After a few hours the solution was as dark as night

Here are the results, CLEAN!

I replaced all manifold gaskets but these are aftermarket and I am not thrilled with the fitment, they are a bit thin and don't fill out the recess.

LOL!
[IMG]
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/QexJbgPEhSVrocnjkTAXFB7LBvx7oJZ7tLpvJ5sYZYGyQFFnE_ zLKZ7oFg9AGWsVvrgvIlo1nnGm_LeSOP_Q0ZsQIb5-sBSUJoWD-WzLFpI0YtH_0xgwiExeI_1YoIPWa_YP20bwvlK9ox5pk85v0CH H21n1VRpJHFQ4G-MSDNDH-g0ffKTZzH5s3QnHZIvCKeDZtm03djbqBGNIZZkLvHkOwUX2lS6 87sIFaAA3cgGqQlOQr2KWQgj6ivmZJ5MvFqCUUBPg2pdpjZFt8 fS8Ij_yNsozYHdXlCHp0ngIrP8_HHzq7ihjmhl15Qg5EtbWar8 xBmS4mom8N1EhvCpxIyKvs4lG2ZzmE6TtVlc9PCVMB5EpmONzj JLfPir-jqrWEQyaNxY31eSf-yAwlNb5P93HAkeaev0f39O5-tCqEuD7GhCuGVv5XT8mV83qN0mlNLBZubdZljAZ82b7TPGma_e RSktqkTrn4AR2Cuk4nrZmxAhO7VekCYiTMBcXoLSoAOZk0cSsp _P0dtqGDrCPjwo6oKv9YIfW_uHd5-KvSOyP9tpPwKju4xt7x9JDnOuiYJ13I-vhXDLEJP3rntQ6hiJiV6rohUbiUFRs-_adxp1Xw0DMa1KKgi49s5JxUPh3cj3yDLeoKkrY-68ZFQz-HAZmhAyldVDb=w883-h945-no[/IMG]

Removed the rear entertainment system

This center console is a pretty elaborate structure

I have a nice little kit assembled if anyone needs this. Comes complete with the bracket and hardware.

Flashed Rod Sutphin's transmission tune, excited to try this out, I hear great things. I also have a new pan/filter and fluid on the way to service the trans

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2019, 10:21 PM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
Wow. Kudos for all the work youíre doing. Not everything is my speed - at least for an X5 because letís face it, itís no sports car - but youíre obviously passionate about it and it is impressive. Hope you love the car. I wish I still had the time to work on my cars that much.

LOLed at the weight of the original wheel and tire setup. I have same as summer wheels and they are freakin heavy. Not looking to change mine but heaviest wheels Iíve ever handled.

Looking forward to more updates. Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

Old 04-30-2019, 05:08 AM
What was that?

Mein Auto: 05 M3, '13 TLC, '11X5 35i
Congrats! it looks great. Love the passion for making the subtle (some not so subtle) mods and upgrades. I used to be like that, but got distracted by classics and now all I do is walk around fixing leaks and looking for rust...

I may be interested in the rear entertainment system. I have to research the retrofit. Anyone know if this would be plug and play?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2019, 05:19 AM

Mein Auto: E65 750i Sport,C5 z51 e46
Thanks for posting, looks great.
e46 328i 18" 335spt whls(sold)
c5vette 6sp,z51,2"drp,19"ccw'sshrt shft,corsa exh,dd nav(sold)
e53 X5 3.0, pna rf,,20"4.6rims.(sold)
e65 750I aw, sprt. 21's,acs pdls,acs rfsplr,mtecs,8k hid(sold)
Srt10 VIPER, 19-20" forged,tune,corsa ex,intake.
w221 S550 amg,dia white,20"s63rims
e70 3.5 aw.mtec,20" 214 whls.
e46 M3vert,6spd,19"HRE,bbk,ext,intke
w222 S550 amg, dia white
Old 04-30-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
Not everything is my speed - at least for an X5 because letís face it, itís no sports car
I don't really understand this comment?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoCarNut View Post
I may be interested in the rear entertainment system. I have to research the retrofit. Anyone know if this would be plug and play?
You will want to check if your X5 has provisions for the entertainment system. Searching RealOEM I didn't see any wiring harness specified for the rear seat entertainment so I assume it's part of the main harness which means all X5s would have it and consequently this "kit" can be integrated by installing and likely some basic VO/module coding.

If you want to check your X5 for the wiring; removing the front and rear side panels of the console and then the rear console panel, if you have the wiring you will see a larger unused connector that locks with one of those 90 degree arms (IIRC) it is the "input" for the DVD player.

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 04-30-2019, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 xDrive35d
Impressive that the manifold came out that clean without walnut blasting, I will have to keep that in mind.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsindogg View Post
Impressive that the manifold came out that clean without walnut blasting, I will have to keep that in mind.
If blasting you would want to be mindful of pressure and media, soda might be a safer on plastic like the M57 manifold, walnut could potentially damage the plastic. An effective degreaser is a nice option.

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 04-30-2019, 12:09 PM
What was that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbwsr View Post
I don't really understand this comment?

You will want to check if your X5 has provisions for the entertainment system. Searching RealOEM I didn't see any wiring harness specified for the rear seat entertainment so I assume it's part of the main harness which means all X5s would have it and consequently this "kit" can be integrated by installing and likely some basic VO/module coding.

If you want to check your X5 for the wiring; removing the front and rear side panels of the console and then the rear console panel, if you have the wiring you will see a larger unused connector that locks with one of those 90 degree arms (IIRC) it is the "input" for the DVD player.

Iíll go at it and check this weekend.
What are you asking for the unit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoCarNut View Post
What are you asking for the unit?
Here is the listing on eBay. Open to offers so feel free to PM me with a reasonable offer.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/233210477556

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 04-30-2019, 01:10 PM
What was that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbwsr View Post
Here is the listing on eBay. Open to offers so feel free to PM me with a reasonable offer.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/233210477556
Awesome. I'll check if the wiring is there and hit you up on PM.

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2019, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 x5 v8 M adapative
Very cool and thanks for posting all those pictures. I was thinking of getting a diesel but instead got the v8 with a warranty due to frequent short city trips. One day i'll have more time again and would like to put in the same effort as you did.

I sometimes struggle with the wheels because there is no perfect 4 season tire solution for the 19 inch staggered wheels. Wish they didn't move towards run flats with no spare over the years.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:15 AM

Putting "the truck" to use....

Shipping wheels

Found a $1,200 radiator setup at the salvage yard.

Transporting a panoramic roof cassette for my E61

License plates arrived. The original hardware was 2 rusty Philips head bolts, I replaced it with some black allen bolts with washers. This will look real clean once the personalized plate arrives.

With the X5 debadged this will help enthusiasts know what motor is under the hood, common civilians will have no idea what's going on which is just the way I like it. If you know, you know.

Adding a wireless charger. What's slick about this setup is the charger is mounted to the ash tray which can easily pop out if needed.

Weekend projects:
Transmission service
Cleaned manifold (again)
Swirl flap delete.
I was going to do vacuum lines as well but I will save that for when I do the downpipe.

Fluid, pan, mechatronics sleeves, bridge, and connector seal.

Yummy

RealOEM FTW

Cleaned the trans support (and other splash panels not pictured).

WTF is this sorry excuse of a transfer case bushing? I was surprised to find out the X5M bushing is nearly identical. With all the TQ of the M57 motor and this offset mount only on one side this seems like it would be a good item to reinforce with a solid rubber mount.

Inspected the transmission wiring connector to confirm pin locations, I will be adding an X5M wheel with paddles and need to run wiring from the wheel all the way to this connector.

Still have to crack open the filter but magnets looked fine with what I understand as a normal amount of metal powder/paste.

New bridge seal and sealing sleeves installed.

Patiently waiting for the trans fluid to get up to temp during refill....

Used a WiFi endoscope to peak down into the valves. All things considered they look great, the only CBU I need to address is on the plastic portion of the valve cover. I will wait to clean that once I have another excuse to pull the cover since it should be and easy task and won't require walnut blasting.

Manifold cleaned, power washed, dried w/ compressed air, and reassembled with swirl flap deletes.

Some quick snaps while running errands. I have a black kidney grill on the way.

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 05-21-2019, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
@ucsbwsr - Wow, impressed with all the handy work. How do you find the time?
I like your assistant too!

Question: I probably should know but what do you get out of swirl flap delete? Is it a step towards full delete? How do you manage Smog? Asking for a friend.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 x5 v8 M adapative
What model of wireless charger is that? I want to get the same exact one as it looks like it fits perfectly.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
Question: I probably should know but what do you get out of swirl flap delete? Is it a step towards full delete? How do you manage Smog? Asking for a friend.
Deleting flaps doesn't impact SMOG, they are something that are designed to control airflow and improve torque, not sure how effective they are but they get clogged with carbon and more importantly, leak boost. So this is more a reliability mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown312 View Post
What model of wireless charger is that? I want to get the same exact one as it looks like it fits perfectly.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 05-21-2019, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 530I Blown/ X5 35D
Wow man! You're da man!! And a true enthusiast.
I have a couple question for you.
1. What is the reason behind the swirl flap delete?
2. What solution did you use to sulk the intake?

TIA.

02- 530-Blown
10-X5 35D
Old 05-21-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16valex View Post
1. What is the reason behind the swirl flap delete?
2. What solution did you use to sulk the intake?
Thanks!
1. See above
2. Super Clean

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 07-01-2019, 03:54 PM

I replaced worn Start/Stop and AC fan speed (not shown) buttons.

Got some pedals from Ultimate Pedals, I have ran a pair on my old E39 M5 and am on my second set on my white E61, they are extremely well made and I am a big fan or brushed metals in interiors.

Details

Before

During

After

In my eyes this is a nice sporty/classy touch to the interior.

Getting back to the OEM hitch install

These are all the goodies included in the kit

I wasn't going to put up with the excessive bumper trimming required to fit the OEM hitch so I decided to modify the angle of the plate that mounts the trailer wiring connector. I cut it off and ground it flush with an angle grinder

Paid a local welder $20 to mount it back on

OEM crash bar vs OEM hitch, the hitch is real beefy and weighs about 55lbs

Hitch bolted up, you can see the nee vertical orientation of the connector ....and all the scratches the welder added to the hitch while moving it around. I used some Duplicolor semi-gloss paint which matched the OEM finish very well.

Moving onto the wiring

Previous owners had little kids, I have now collected about 10-12 Lego pieces from the interior. Battery area got a vacuum.

Wiring ran to fuse block and module installed.

Trimming was a little tedious but I am happy with the results.

In this photo the 4 pin connector/adapter is installed, some people inquired if it would sit too low in the new position, no.

Clean!

Added +AHMU to the vehicle order and then followed that up with some additional module coding

Some module coding included rear view camera zoom for aligning a trailer

The setup with the new 1UP Super Duty bike rack installed. It is the only rack would fit my monster 1360mm wheelbase Pole Evolink.

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 09-06-2019, 08:59 AM

It took me a couple months but I finally realized I live a few miles from a Proper station that has HPR, I go to the same station to fill my wagon with E85. It's nice that they don't over charge for the "performance" diesel, same price as Shell, Chevron, etc.

A fellow X5D owner lend me his JBD to try out until I get deleted/tuned. Running it at 100%. It offers a nice bump in power.

Since I have multiple BMW key fobs from the same generation I had some custom keychains made to keep them organized.

Personalized plates arrived.

Happy to report it is centered, I haven't had great success in the past.

Some pics racked up.

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 09-06-2019, 08:59 AM

The X5 hasen't been getting much love with a lot of recent travel, other project wagons, a broken finger, and a new 2mo puppy but I do have some maintenance and mods collecting.
Fluidampr, fuel filter, oil filter, vac lines, and a 3" QTP e-cutout I had left over from a wagon project. I have also been researching and strategizing for a custom intake, a big intercooler retrofit, potential trans cooler, and tuners/exhaust for the deletes.

Buying well designed off the shelf items is great since you know fitment will be perfect but I do enjoy the challenge of a good DIY/retrofit project so I will likely end up retrofitting a VRSF race intercooler and building an RK Autowerk style cold air intake. I know the OEM system is well designed but if I play my cards right I should be able to build a system that has similar filtering properties and intake air temps while offering a shorter piping run. Plus more turbo noises and a unique intake system. Living in San Diego I don't have many worries about excessive water/dirt/etc. Climate is kind to cars out here.

For exhaust I like the ATM since it has an in-line resonator but they seem to be out of stock and have been for a while, if it's not available then VRSF DP with Rawtek mid pipe seems to be a nice setup and I like having the 2 bolt flange in place of the slip on design. Either way the plan is to put the QTP valve as far back as possible, ideally right before the OEM muffler. straight piped M57s aren't too loud but since this is a road trip vehicle it will be nice to have a "quiet" mode.

The Y-pipe supplied by QTP has pretty poor fit and finish with a lot of excess material protruding from the welds, this will need to be ground down to keep gasses moving smoothly. QTP also supplies a monster of a toggle switch that is hard to operate and looks like it should be installed in a aircraft from the 70s so I will be upgrading it to a more elegant/flush switch and try to integrate it around the headlight dial so it looks as OEM as possible.

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats

Last edited by ucsbwsr; 09-06-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 xdrive35d White
I love the plates! You've inspired me to see if that's available in Texas.

Still can't get over how great those wheels on your X5. I'm sporting the plain janes and the wife just wants to keep them like that. Ugh
Old 09-16-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010xdrive35d View Post
Still can't get over how great those wheels on your X5. I'm sporting the plain janes and the wife just wants to keep them like that. Ugh
Thanks, the look I am going for should really come full circle when the fender gap is reduced with taller tires and/or lowering.

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 09-16-2019, 09:06 AM

Played around with the with configuring an inlet system. There might be some subtle changes but I am pretty confident the setup I sketched out will work.

The OEM system seems to perform well for what it is, the goal with this system is to achieve similar filtration and low intake temps while shortening the intake systems length. There are some high HP 335ds which essentially run an ultra short; filter - MAF - turbo inlet pipe. The benefits of the short run and high flow seem to outweigh disadvantage of having the filter in the engine bay and sucking hot air. I hope to have a system that is as short as possible while introducing cold air. Turbo noises and having a unique inlet which cleans up the engine bay are bonuses.

The key to the system will be a 3.5" 90 degree oval pipe made by CXRacing. This X5M intake was the closest thing I found to what I want to achieve.

Here is a scribble of the system. It's worth noting the OEM air filter is a larger 9.5x12" panel filter and looking that size up on K&N's website it should flow ~600cfm, that's K&N's panel filter and is thinner than the Bosch unit BMW uses so I assume the stock filter flows a bit less, maybe 500-550cfm.

K&N offers two filters that will work, the RC-5000 which flows 600cfm and the RC-5040 which flows 1,000cfm. I might see if I can atuff the 5040 but if it's too much hassle then the its nice to know the 5000 essentially flows the same as stock.

Conveniently the OEM turbo inlet pipe houses the PCV connection

With the upper portion of the pipe being removable there is a nice flange to clamp onto

Here is the everything but the turbo inlet pipe installed

The next 2 photos show the MAF mocked up and spaced as if there was a 3" to 2.5" reducer between it and the turbo inlet pipe. Off the MAF will be a 3.5"-3" reducing 90 degree silicone elbow directly connected to a 45 degree elbow which connects to the oval pipe. The goal is to have the oval pipe inline with the vehicle and have the silicone do the bending but if space is limited then I might skip the 45 bend and run the pipe direclty off the 90 degree elbow, we shall see.

When reinstalling the turbo inlet pipe the PCV pipe split, you can see it was cracked in multiple locations. I had some heater hose lying around which fit well.

I am excited to delete this leaking CCV system in favor for a vented oil catch can.

Upgraded the switch for my QTP exhaust valve, not sure if I will end up using a wireless controlled but if I do a hardwired switch this toggle is much easier to operate and offers a cleaner design.

Did a few 0-60 runs, 6.5 was the best but it was also on a slightly uphill road so I expect a 6.3 could have been achieved. Not very exciting but nice to have some sort of baseline before power increases. Currently running JBD @10 and a trans tune.

Speaking of trans tune I was having some delay in acceleration from a standstill, part of it seems to be electronic off the pedal but there is also an elastic like delay which I assume is related to the torque converter. Rod's trans tune does manipulate the TC so I asked him about it and he sent and updated file V12.3 to HP5 IIRC.

In the continued spirit of preventative maintenance I replaced the fuel filter.

Turns out the one installed was dated 2014... overdue!

New filter installed, notice 2019 date.

I also noticed some water ingress via the cowls and I am aware the injector related issues this can cause and although I live in San Diego where precipitation isn't so common, I still wanted to nip it in the butt.

Central cowl piece removed, notice the ends where the oem foam has been smashed and morphed into a goo.

I cleaned off the edges and installed some OCI butyl. I do a lot of headlight work so I conveniently had this laying around. I laid a thick bead at each end.

With the panel reinstalled you can see the excess squishing out. This is what I wanted to make sure there were no gaps but its a bit of an eye sore and butyl can be a mess especially when warm so I trimmed it with a razor and gave it a leak test. Good to go!

My "engine acoustics" were chewed up from a rat at some point and contaminated with carbon via boost leaks so I trimmed up the eye sore a bit and I decided not to install the OEM engine cover, because of this I also removed the oil filler neck extension. I like to tidy up the engine bay as I go and keep things minimal as it makes it easier to wrench.

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search