Buying a used 166xxx 2007 X5, BAD IDEA? - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 09-04-2019, 05:37 AM
ppointer ppointer is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 14
Mein Auto: '11 335i, '00 323it
I have four older BMWs today, ranging from 2011 to 2001. I budget $150 monthly per car to cover repairs. I tend to over-maintain my cars, but that budget has been consistent for the last ten years or so. I think with that N62 motor, there are a couple of expensive repairs they all need once at some point. The e70 can be a little more expensive with AWD and air bag suspension if it is so equipped. If you're willing to budget $200 monthly at a minimum to cover repairs, then I think you're being realistic.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #27  
Old 09-04-2019, 12:49 PM
DEADF15H DEADF15H is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Florida/NC
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 386
Mein Auto: 01 325i sedan 222,222 mi
@ Alfa_romeo55, Sorry, I'll stay out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Last edited by DEADF15H; 09-04-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-04-2019, 01:00 PM
Alfa_romeo55 Alfa_romeo55 is offline
Registered User
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: Alfa Romeo 164s, 545i,
Deadfish, Youre good boss. Apparently the dentist didnt want to respond. If I was in your situation and knowing that your friend took excellent care of the X5 I would jump at it in a heartbeat for $4 grand. You know the history and the responsibility your friend used in up keeping the SUV. I have 4 BMW's all with mileage over 135 K and all on the road running. maintenance is key and your friend sounds like he did a tremendous job in making sure he was on top of his . Go for it.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-04-2019, 04:35 PM
Gary214 Gary214 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Central PA
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 518
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_romeo55 View Post
Deadfish, Youre good boss. Apparently the dentist didnt want to respond. If I was in your situation and knowing that your friend took excellent care of the X5 I would jump at it in a heartbeat for $4 grand. You know the history and the responsibility your friend used in up keeping the SUV. I have 4 BMW's all with mileage over 135 K and all on the road running. maintenance is key and your friend sounds like he did a tremendous job in making sure he was on top of his . Go for it.


I agree. Have faith in your friend and go for it.

4k for an X5 beemer is a steal.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-04-2019, 05:01 PM
DEADF15H DEADF15H is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Florida/NC
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 386
Mein Auto: 01 325i sedan 222,222 mi
Thanks guys, that's what I was thinking. I can do about everything on my E46 except internal engine and transmission work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 09-04-2019, 07:53 PM
Gene Horn Gene Horn is offline
Registered User
Location: Georgia USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 38
Mein Auto: 2009 BMW X5 4.8 L
The reality is this for a high mileage BMW X5 V8:

All BMW V8s leak oil through their valve seals with mileage. The seals are generally replaced at between 100,000 and 150,000 miles. Replacing the seals is a $5,000+ job at the dealer. You must pull the engine and remove the heads.

BMW Dealer labor rates are $150 to $190 per hour. Then there are part costs and the clean up fee.

Brake rotors and pads all around are between $1,200 and $1,600 at the dealer. Genuine BMW rotors, pads and sensors are $800+.

A rebuilt BMW transmission costs $9,000.

I doubt if $150 a month, $1,800 a year can cover these type repairs plus normal maintenance and the typical parts replacements on an older BMW , even if you do all of your own work and use after market parts when available.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-04-2019, 08:02 PM
BabyUnicornTaco BabyUnicornTaco is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charleston, SC
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1,644
Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
Buying a used 166xxx 2007 X5, BAD IDEA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Horn View Post
The reality is this for a high mileage BMW X5 V8:



All BMW V8s leak oil through their valve seals with mileage. The seals are generally replaced at between 100,000 and 150,000 miles. Replacing the seals is a $5,000+ job at the dealer. You must pull the engine and remove the heads.



BMW Dealer labor rates are $150 to $190 per hour. Then there are part costs and the clean up fee.



Brake rotors and pads all around are between $1,200 and $1,600 at the dealer. Genuine BMW rotors, pads and sensors are $800+.



A rebuilt BMW transmission costs $9,000.



I doubt if $150 a month, $1,800 a year can cover these type repairs plus normal maintenance and the typical parts replacements on an older BMW , even if you do all of your own work and use after market parts when available.


Not necessarily. Iím at 163,000 miles on original VSS. Iím at a quart per 8,000 miles for oil. You can do OEM pads, rotors, sensors for less than $500 DIY on all four wheels if you do your shopping research. If you take care of your transmission you wonít need a $9,000 new one. No one should buy a 11-13 year old BMW with dealer services in mind. Owning this old of a BMW means DIY and/or finding a BMW tech who does work on the side for the big jobs.


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
__________________
2008 X5 E70 4.8i M-Sport
2008 550i RPI Exhaust, RPI Ram Air

Last edited by BabyUnicornTaco; 09-04-2019 at 08:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-05-2019, 04:00 AM
Gary214 Gary214 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Central PA
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 518
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i M-Sport
Even if it lasts for 2 years without major repairs it is worth it.

Just junk it if there is any major problems. You can live with leaking seals and oil consumption. Oil is cheap and easy DIY.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-06-2019, 09:06 AM
ArgentoCarNut ArgentoCarNut is offline
What was that?
Location: Mid-South
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 475
Mein Auto: 05 M3, '13 TLC, '11X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADF15H View Post
Thanks guys, that's what I was thinking. I can do about everything on my E46 except internal engine and transmission work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk


Here are my thoughts on this: at $4000 purchase price, if anything catastrophic goes bad, you can get your money back selling the wheels, front seats, and a few other parts rather quickly. Then junk or donate remains...

I get it that this would not be the car to replace a reliable, economic, easy to lend to your neighbor type of car, but for that much you donít even pay sales tax in my state... you wrench your E46, so you will be able to work on much of this car as well

I say go!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-06-2019, 09:15 AM
DEADF15H DEADF15H is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Florida/NC
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 386
Mein Auto: 01 325i sedan 222,222 mi
Thanks for the advice.
Positive and negative are both welcome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-06-2019, 09:16 AM
ArgentoCarNut ArgentoCarNut is offline
What was that?
Location: Mid-South
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 475
Mein Auto: 05 M3, '13 TLC, '11X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADF15H View Post
Thanks for the advice.
Positive and negative are both welcome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk


I do have to say, it is still a Bad Idea. Just my kind of Bad Idea!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-06-2019, 09:49 AM
DEADF15H DEADF15H is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Florida/NC
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 386
Mein Auto: 01 325i sedan 222,222 mi
@ ArgentoCarNut...... LOL.
I did help a clueless friend replace his E70 valve cover gasket twice. He wouldn't clean the old oil off the motor no matter how much I begged.
Did the first one, car ran great around the complex, but was smoking. Opened hood, caught fire, luckily I was parked beside him and had an extinguisher in the trunk. Melted the old cover, he had to buy a new one. LOL. He worked I watched the 2nd round.
Also replaced the front struts and hardware on the same vehicle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Last edited by DEADF15H; 09-06-2019 at 09:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-06-2019, 09:53 AM
ArgentoCarNut ArgentoCarNut is offline
What was that?
Location: Mid-South
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 475
Mein Auto: 05 M3, '13 TLC, '11X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADF15H View Post
@ ArgentoCarNut...... LOL.
I did help a clueless friend replace his E70 valve cover gasket twice. He wouldn't clean the old oil off the motor no matter how much I begged.
Did the first one, car ran great around the complex, but was smoking. Opened hood, caught fire, luckily I was parked beside him and had an extinguisher in the trunk. Melted the old cover, he had to buy a new one. LOL. He worked I watched the 2nd round.
Also replaced the front struts and hardware on the same vehicle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk


I have done those two tasks on my wifeís X5. I am pretty confident I can tackle most of the medium complexity issues that the car may present. Get it and share some pictures. Good Luck!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09-06-2019, 10:09 AM
2010xdrive35d's Avatar
2010xdrive35d 2010xdrive35d is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southeast Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 126
Mein Auto: 2010 X5 xdrive35d White
DEADFI5H I always love to see a value purchase and it work out for people. I've never had money to purchase a good deal, but based on what you've shared about it I say go for it.

People always say too much unknown, but isn't that true of any used vehicle? Sounds like you have a good working knowledge of the model and not afraid to get your hands greasy. I'm with AregentoCarNut... go scoop it up and start a thread. I wanna see some pics!
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-06-2019, 10:19 AM
Gary214 Gary214 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Central PA
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 518
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010xdrive35d View Post
DEADFI5H I always love to see a value purchase and it work out for people. I've never had money to purchase a good deal, but based on what you've shared about it I say go for it.

People always say too much unknown, but isn't that true of any used vehicle? Sounds like you have a good working knowledge of the model and not afraid to get your hands greasy. I'm with AregentoCarNut... go scoop it up and start a thread. I wanna see some pics!
Yes, start a thread about it and let us know how it goes. Will be a useful road-map for all future purchasers of old BMWs
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.