Parking Brake Error - Orange lights instead of red - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 E70 3.0d
Parking Brake Error - Orange lights instead of red

When it rains it pours! - these things may be related...

I started another thread where I'm trying to fix an intermittent central locking issue and in doing so pulled/checked a number of fuses related to the central locking.

No bad fuses were found.

Low and behold - on the drive after checking fuses my wife got an error on the dash saying the park brake was not working - and the park brake lights on the dash are now orange instead of red - and chiming a number of times when you start the car. (We can still drive it though - so its not locked in the ON position)

Fair enough - maybe I had pulled a fuse which was also related to the park brake and it needed to be reset.
I found this video which sounded like my symptoms - but did not fix the problem:

I then found this video which explained the park brake reset procedure:

The park brake procedure of holding the park brake lever down 5 seconds, release 1 second, raised 5 seconds did not do anything for me at first.

I then thought perhaps I should try clearing all the fault codes in Carly. I did that, and then the park brake procedure did have some effect - I could hear whirring sounds from under the car suggesting it was trying to reset something - but the error returned to the dash saying the park brake would not engage.

I then tried running Carly again to scan faults and found these faults appearing at different times (I tried clearing then park brake reset, then rescanning):

DSG
- 006DDB Message
- 006DDC Interface

Hand Brake
- 00601D CAN signal fault
- 00601D Unknown failure
- 006034 Unknown failure

Junction Box Passenger
- 00A6D4 Relay defective or fuse open F04 - Central Locking
- 00A6E8 Central lock repeated
- 00A738 Power supply

The key fob has now stopped unlocking the car again - as per other thread

Any ideas? arrrrggghhhh
If there's no tips/responses by morning I think I'm taking it to the BMW Indy tomorrow...

Last edited by AU Pete; 03-27-2017 at 01:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2017, 12:11 AM

Wow. what an ordeal. I feel sick in the stomach.

First things first, fyi - I changed my username the other day from PotsyDriver to AU Pete. It was a rushed decision to sign up, and i just got sick of looking at it.

So, please help - I'm desperate (this is the 2nd part that has failed this week - I'll update that thread shortly)

The car is still in the (bmw indy) shop.

It was diagnosed with a faulty Parking Brake Actuator. After nearly fainting when I heard new ones were in the vicinity of (AUD) $1700, I scrambled to find a reconditioned one for $400 from a local eBay seller. The mechanic agreed that was a good option - and he would fit it (the DIY option is beyond my level.)

Today the new unit has been fitted and while the above mentioned codes are no longer present, there is an error code 6031 showing up which is related to a park brake failure - in the ECU and a warning on the dash. They are saying they cannot get the code cleared no matter what is tried. They've tried the handbrake reset procedure, pulling fuses, even checked for available software updates and installed them (they said there was a software update applicable to my car).

The options at the moment involve asking for a refund on the $400 unit from eBay (although I'm not convinced its at fault) and buying a new $1700 unit - and then trying to fit it - hoping this error code no longer appears. Or the mechanic offered to open up both actuators and take the (hopefully) good parts from one into the other.

I can't help but think the actuator is fine, and there's some reset/software procedure that's not working for some reason.

It's the end of the day here in Sydney so I said I'd call them back in the morning with what I think we should do.

Can anyone please help? I'm at the stage where I'd freight you a case of beer if you can help me get this this running without damaging my pocket too much further.

Pete

Pic of the $400 refurb unit follows...

Last edited by AU Pete; 09-03-2017 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:21 AM

I'm going into the workshop in the morning.
Is there a site or reference somewhere I can refer to to make sure all the software updates / service bulletins that can be done, have been done?
It's a 08/2007 3.0d.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2017, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Check the wiring, especially the connectors.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:22 PM

so just to wrap this thread up, my mechanic was able to get me back up and running using a combination of parts from the original actuator and parts from the refurbished ebay one.

I believe an original cable had snapped on one side, and an actuator part inside the module was damaged aswell - one caused the other in quick succession i'm guessing.

He showed me the innards of the ebay refurb model - it had a replacement motor with a chinese sticker on it which looked new, but some other parts in it looked very worn - suspected not working, and the unit wasn't sealed well. My mechanic made sure to seal the original casing up well before reinstalling.

In the end I saved some money - the grand total came to $1544 (AU$1144 labour + $400 for ebay refurb part + a bonus software update that was installed as part of troubleshooting but the full cost not passed on) rather than what would have been about $2200 - $2400 if I'd opted for a brand new part and had it fitted.

But I have been warned off cheap Chinese parts in the process. I mean - of course you know its a risk when buying something like that - but it was a worthwhile experience to see the innards of something that had been touted as "completely refurbished with new parts".

I chose not to get a refund (on the ebay part) as time was short, we needed the car, and my mechanic was thankfully able to come through with a compromise of getting it all working using parts we had.

Last edited by AU Pete; 04-04-2017 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:08 PM

So since getting the park brake fixed, all is fine in terms of there's no faults appearing, BUT the "lurching" behaviour after turning off the ignition (when parked on a steepish hill) has increased a little.

Previously (and by the sounds of it, is normal operation),
If parking on a hill I'd put the transmission in P, engage the Park Brake, then switch the car off - and it'd roll forward an inch or so and make a deep squeek sound as (I assume) the
park brake engages.

Now,
all as above, but the car seems to lurch forward an extra half inch (not scientifically measured) AND when I go to restart the car later and engage DRIVE in the transmission, there is a more audible shifting sound/bump when shifting out of park and into drive. To me it feels like the car might be resting on the park gear (or whatever) in the transmission.

Does this still sound normal for parking on a steep hill? wondering if there's any way to adjust the park brake (beyond what I assume the actuator is doing)
Old 05-13-2017, 02:59 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Me, having learned to drive in the SF Bay Area and San Francisco, City of Seven (really 20) Hills, I'd lean the front tire on a curb, put Xmission in Neutral, engage parking brake, take my foot off the service brake to make sure everything is secure, and then select Park.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
lean the front tire on a curb, put Xmission in Neutral, engage parking brake, take my foot off the service brake to make sure everything is secure, and then select Park.
Thanks Doug, yes I do prefer to lean the wheel into the curb, though it makes me a little nervous for 2 reasons - (a) some of the curbs can be particularly sharp around drains, I saw a Jeep pop a tire recently, and (b) - if the "lurch" of the park break after switching the engine off pushes you further up/into the curb I'm worried about gutter rash / rims getting damaged.

Also, just to confirm, with your procedure there of:

Tire against curb => Xmission in Neutral => engage park brake => foot off service brake => select park ...

... you are still feeling a lurch forward at times further into the gutter right?

As I understand it, when you switch the car off, the Park brake switches from effectively doing the same job as the foot brake on all 4 wheels to engaging the Bowden cable on the rear wheels only. Its this switch/lurch that is just feeling a little more pronounced to me.

If that's the case I'm not sure there's any difference in the above procedure to just going...

Tire against curb => foot kept on service break => Xmission in Park => engage park brake => switch off engine => release foot from service brake

?

Don't get me wrong - your method feels like the right way to do it - but because of the way the electronic park brake engages/switches between modes, I'm not sure it makes any material difference.

From page 35 of https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...TRIY3VzSFRHUWM :

Interestingly, on Page 28 of that doc theres a diagram about the park brake applied with 'worn brake pads' VS 'new brake pads'.
Although I couldn't actually see the difference in the pics (!) maybe that's alluding to some variation in the "lurch" depending on pad thickness and maybe my issue will be reduced when i get new pads (not defined as needed replacement yet by the Indy though)

Last edited by AU Pete; 09-03-2017 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:05 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Page 28 applies to the E89 as noted, and not to the E70 at page 35 and following.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:30 AM

Mein Auto: x5 35d e70 2011
I just got the fault on Sunday with the 3 codes.
Dropped the box after undoing the parking cable brackets to get slack and opened module.
Neg motor lead broke off as others have described.
Soldered lead back on and reconnected electrical connector. It was very hard to get it to tin properly!
Works well. Hot glued around the terminals to prevent future vibration on the connectors. Also put a piece of foam between the motor and cover to prevent vibration.
Resealed box with silicone after cleaning it and no issues.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search