Lower cooling shutters stuck - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)

G30 (2017 - Current)
The next generation 5 Series, chassis code G30, arrives at dealers in February 2017. Looking like a scaled down 7 Series and riding on the CLAR platform, the new 5 Series will have a focus on lightweight and sporty performance. Engines options will come from BMW's new B family for the 530 and 540 and a turbocharged V8 for the M550i. Read more about the 2017 5 Series

Old 05-23-2019, 11:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2017 540ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by witzfl View Post
Had mine in last week, same problem with kidney grill shutters, did not know they had lower shutters, has the lower shutter thing thing been confirmed or we all talking about the kidney shutters? I was also told it was a known problem. I wonder how long the repair will last till it happens again?
Well, they've been confirmed on my car. I can see them when I bend down and look. As others have reported, they are open when the car is parked and cold. The upper ones are closed. I don't know if that is right or not but I don't much care as long as the engine light stays off.

Current BMW

2017 BMW 540ix
Dark Graphite Metallic/Ivory
Prior BMWs
2014 BMW 535ix
Imperial Blue/Beige interior
2011 528i
Cashmere Silver/Black Dakota
2001 530i Sport (deceased)
Cosmos Black
Other
2018 Subaru Legacy 3.6R
1977 Corvette 383 Stroker

Last edited by BobRBob; 05-23-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2019, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 530e xDrive
My light came on and they replaced the shutters. They also said there was a recall that required a computer update. Lost all my presets and my trip odo record which was from the beginning of time.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy328xi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kssod View Post
SA called, lower shutters replaced. I hope a different part/redesigned etc.
as far as i know its the same part, good knews is they extended the warrenty to 10yrs/120k miles on most of these cars, ive replaced 4 sets of lower shutters this week alone on g30s
Extended the warranty???
Old 08-14-2019, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535XI
Well my upper shutter is now working again after a repair to the seat belt warning gong and light (?). Upper is open during operation and closes when I turn off the engine. Lower is a mixed bag. Passenger side and middle shutters are open when i shut off the engine. Drivers side shutter is closed. Have no idea whether this lower arrangement changes when I'm actually driving. Never have seen the check engine light come on. Going to leave well enough alone and not go back to the dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crmgr View Post
The top and lower shutters on my 2017 540I stopped working after the first year. Took it in for service because they never closed. Had both replaced. Still open when I picked it up and have never closed since. Mention it to my service adviser every time I'm at the dealership and he always says unless I get a notification it's normal. Don't think anyone has a clue. Like the look better when open so I haven't pushed the issue.

Just a gimmick in my book, but I guess it's better to have them always open than closed.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:54 PM

Mein Auto: Ford Raptor
Another P05AE code

MIL light.
P05AE/P05A2/F05AF codes.

Calling dealer tomorrow.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2019 BMW 540i
Me too, pix please. Does anyone know how to just keep them open all the time, short of the "mechanical" method? I'm working a different problem.

Does anyone know what causes the frequent (?) failures you guys are reporting?
His Prior: 2001 BMW E38
His Prior: 1991 BMW E32 (Totaled by others in a test drive)
His Prior: 1974 BMW 2002tii VIN #2782565 (Where is it now?)
Old 09-09-2019, 04:02 PM

Mein Auto:
Fixed mine.

I had the always open grills on my G12 740i fixed by the dealer last month. I bought the car CPO a few months ago and unbeknownst it was already broken. That aside, it took them about a week and a half to diagnose and fix. They supplied me with an X5 as a loaner after apologizing for having just given away the 740i loaner.

My car did not have any errors or faults and output the same scope readings as a known good vehicle per BMW testing methodology. During their testing the upper flaps would sometimes move and the lower ones would never move. Only after they reprogrammed the vehicle and went through an initialization (this deleted my radio and seat memories) did it finally throw a fault code which was for the lower flaps.

At that point, presumably per BMW's instruction, they replaced the upper flap actuator and the complete lower blind assembly. In addition they found something else that wasn't installed right initially with the upper actuator. They then cleared the faults and everything was working.

So the long an the short of my experience was that it wasn't as simple as just replacing the parts under warranty in two days as implied by my service writer. The Dealership went through a long drawn out process which basically consisted of completing a specific troubleshooting task, then submitting the results to BMW and then waiting for BMW to respond with a next step. Perhaps this is the normal process when dealing with a BMW warranty issue? I'm a bit at a loss as to how a dealership could possibly spend that much time in trouble shooting. The only thing I can imagine is that BMW is paying them by the hour. If someone brought me a bill for a week of guesswork I'd refuse to pay and put them in touch with my attorney.

End of day, warranty service complete, car functioning and it looks cool when you start it up and it sort of runs through a sequence. The one thing I'll say is that if it broke open out of warranty I'd probably just leave it broken.

Cheers!
Old 09-09-2019, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCTech View Post
I had the always open grills on my G12 740i fixed by the dealer last month. I bought the car CPO a few months ago and unbeknownst it was already broken. That aside, it took them about a week and a half to diagnose and fix. They supplied me with an X5 as a loaner after apologizing for having just given away the 740i loaner.

My car did not have any errors or faults and output the same scope readings as a known good vehicle per BMW testing methodology. During their testing the upper flaps would sometimes move and the lower ones would never move. Only after they reprogrammed the vehicle and went through an initialization (this deleted my radio and seat memories) did it finally throw a fault code which was for the lower flaps.

At that point, presumably per BMW's instruction, they replaced the upper flap actuator and the complete lower blind assembly. In addition they found something else that wasn't installed right initially with the upper actuator. They then cleared the faults and everything was working.

So the long an the short of my experience was that it wasn't as simple as just replacing the parts under warranty in two days as implied by my service writer. The Dealership went through a long drawn out process which basically consisted of completing a specific troubleshooting task, then submitting the results to BMW and then waiting for BMW to respond with a next step. Perhaps this is the normal process when dealing with a BMW warranty issue? I'm a bit at a loss as to how a dealership could possibly spend that much time in trouble shooting. The only thing I can imagine is that BMW is paying them by the hour. If someone brought me a bill for a week of guesswork I'd refuse to pay and put them in touch with my attorney.

End of day, warranty service complete, car functioning and it looks cool when you start it up and it sort of runs through a sequence. The one thing I'll say is that if it broke open out of warranty I'd probably just leave it broken.

Cheers!
The good news is you had a loaner during and saved some wear and tear on your car!
Old 09-10-2019, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: A Big Bus
Add my 2018 540d to the list. CEL light on, upper and lowers replaced.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
The good news is you had a loaner during and saved some wear and tear on your car!
Yea, I'd never drop off my car without a loaner. Had to schedule my appointment out three weeks instead of one was all to ensure a loaner.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)
Today's Posts Search