Rethinking DIY oil changes - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 09-09-2019, 05:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 xdrive35d White
Rethinking DIY oil changes

Always done my own oil changes.

Enjoy doing it, prefer to pick my own oil, and like to get to know my vehicle.

Some of the main reasons I do it is because normally I can buy oil and filter cheaper than it can be replaced anywhere.

Sure I've got to collect and dispose of the oil, but that's free at most part stores.

In this case though... it's got me rethinking all of that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil change special.PNG
Views:	88
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	864043

This is part of the list of Service Specials at my local BMW dealer.

I called to ask and apparently they run it every month. A sort of reoccurring coupon.

Seems like a good deal, especially since I hear they refill the DEF fluid at that time as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 06:08 PM
What was that?

Mein Auto: 05 M3, '13 TLC, '11X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010xdrive35d View Post
Always done my own oil changes.

Enjoy doing it, prefer to pick my own oil, and like to get to know my vehicle.

Some of the main reasons I do it is because normally I can buy oil and filter cheaper than it can be replaced anywhere.

Sure I've got to collect and dispose of the oil, but that's free at most part stores.

In this case though... it's got me rethinking all of that.

Attachment 864043

This is part of the list of Service Specials at my local BMW dealer.

I called to ask and apparently they run it every month. A sort of reoccurring coupon.

Seems like a good deal, especially since I hear they refill the DEF fluid at that time as well.

My dealer did this regularly. I used to take advantage of it since we only drive the X5 about 5000 miles x year. I had an argument with them and decided to stay clear for some time... I can run the car for another 5000 miles before I hit the 15k mile interval.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2019, 06:36 PM

Mein Auto: 14 535d Xdrive, 12 X5 35d
I DIY all oil changes and DEF fills my (diesel) cars. The only exception has been during the free maintenance period on my 2014 535d. I took over all oil changes after the free maintenance ended.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

Why DIESEL is better: (from wxmanCCM)
PM - https://sites.google.com/view/lmarzccm/home
Air Toxics - https://sites.google.com/view/loren-marz-ccm/home
Ozone Precursors - https://sites.google.com/view/lorenmarz-ccm/home
General - https://sites.google.com/view/emissions-general/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 07:46 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
It is 40 minutes to the dealer, each way.

It is cheaper for me to DIY even if the dealer charges $0

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 09-09-2019, 08:30 PM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
It's faster for me to do it myself as well. Also don't trust dealer to use the right oil for the diesel.

I might give in for the 428i because of where it is garaged 99% of the time and the, well, limited garage space, equipment and HOA rules that forbid this type of activity (not that i care...)

Old 09-09-2019, 11:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
I worked on a military base. Military bases often have DIY automotive hobby shops. It was awesome to swing by during work (I'd take an hour of vacation time) and change my oil with a drive-on lift. As a DoD civilian retiree, I can use the hobby shop at any base. We're eventually moving, where we'll not be near a base. So, I'm going to put a drive-on lift in my new garage, for storage of a 4th car (someday) and for oil changes.

I DIY my own oil changes even during the free-maintenance period. I live 90 miles from the dealership I prefer to deal with. Considering the driving time (when I was working), fuel, and wear and tear on my BMW's, those "free" oil changes would end up costing me about $500.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:24 AM

Mein Auto: '06 530xi 6sp, '09 X5 3.0
On my last included-maintenance oil change the dealer cross threaded the drain bolt. There's another good reason to DIY.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
No one will be as careful with an oil change as you. Itís also a great opportunity to look for leaks. Also a great way to fill your oil to max and monitor consumption rather than get whatever a dealer gives you.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 09-10-2019, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 x5 4.4L
if you dyi oil change...at least once a year...do a dry park check of the steering linkages and unload the suspension and do a check of the balljoints, bearings, leading/trailing arms. When I was a diyer i had a lower ball joint separate at 60mph...I didn't know how and wasn't aware that i should be checking these components.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:02 AM

Great food for thought guys. Thanks for the feedback!

After further thought and review I'm leaning towards continuing to do my own.

I think I was drawing from my experience with another brand that I used to use the dealer for exclusively when it came to oil changes specifically. Like the BMW dealer that's near me. The other dealer was right down the road from where I worked. They shuttled me to and from work and for the $26 I paid after coupon they put O.E. oil and filter on, did a multi-point and ran it through the wash. I couldn't but an oil and filter cheaper than that. So I kinda went into that thinking again when I saw they offered a deal for the oil change. And they're also close to my job and they shuttle you back and forth, and throw in a car wash.

But nothing can compare to piece of mind when you do the work yourself. Am I right? So that's probably always been my main reason for DIY. Typically there is a great cost saving in there too.... not in this case.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: '06 530xi 6sp, '09 X5 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010xdrive35d View Post
But nothing can compare to piece of mind when you do the work yourself. Am I right? So that's probably always been my main reason for DIY. Typically there is a great cost saving in there too.... not in this case.
Yes, peace of mind and an opportunity to look over the car a bit. Not much cost savings. But, there is time savings unless you work close to a dealership and can just drop it off and pick it up.

And, you don't sit around the dealer and then have them come out to tell you the other $2,000 of work you "urgently" need. I had an alignment done the other day at BMW and the they came out and told me I needed a new valve cover gasket and a new engine ground strap. The valve cover gasket is only weeping a little and has years to go. No smoking, no oil top off between changes, nothing on the garage floor. My E60 has the magnesium valve cover, so the gasket isn't the rubber one. They wanted $400 alone for the engine group strap and $1,200 for the valve cover. The paper said the ground strap "had failed". Well, yes, it was greenish, but it was still a bit flexible and no strands were severed - it had not failed. I changed it anyway in less than an hour. The part was $40.

Last edited by twh; 09-10-2019 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:03 AM

Sure... I got hit with a lot of those over the years. They don't worry me, or scare me like I think they're aim is sometimes. It definitely draws my attention to something I wasn't looking at. For instance in your case... how often do you check your ground strap?

There are things I'm going to overlook at first because I don't get under the car near enough as I should so I use it as a report about future repair or replacement of parts. Most of which I feel comfortable about doing myself after research and getting feedback from you guys.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: M6 GC ZCP; '12 X5 Diesel
I've never seen that type of coupon at my dealership. If it's really $50 all in (excluding tax and disposal fees), then that's a killer deal. Oil and filter alone is already $50 for OEM parts. (I exclusively use BMW blue bottle oil).

My dealer also started doing free "visual inspections" every time the car is in. Meaning, they'll do quick visual diagnostics on issues they spot. They've already notified me of various leaks I was unaware of.
2013 bicycle (oily chain)

Last edited by Flying Ace; 09-12-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
Looking at the coupon, isnít 90,000 miles when there are a bunch of inspection items? This may be their way of trying to pitch repairs at that mileage. Otherwise why only offer it at a minimum of 90,000 miles?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 09-12-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
I've never seen that type of coupon at my dealership. If it's really $50 all in (excluding tax and disposal fees), then that's a killer deal. Oil and filter alone is already $50 for OEM parts. (I exclusively use BMW blue bottle oil).

My dealer also started doing free "visual inspections" every time the car is in. Meaning, they'll do quick visual diagnostics on issues they spot. They've already notified me of various leaks I was unaware of.
Exactly. Sort of like the vehicle I use to drive back and forth to work... recently came up for a passenger airbag recall.

So I brought it in and figured since I was over on my oil change I would just let them do it. They do a "free multi-point inspection" and "free wash" as well as shuttle service to and from work. Plus they're closer than the BMW dealer to my work. 5 mins away. VS The BMW dealer is 10 mins away.

Now I already expected to get a list of things they want to do to the car like struts, stabilizer links, and other front end parts as well as brakes. But... BUT for them to tell me to focus my attention on an area that I know needs attention costed me nothing.

For that reason among others I don't mind visual inspections such as yourself. There will always be things I'm unaware of going on under the car.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search