xDrive35D Pitfalls? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 08-10-2019, 01:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 (E83)
xDrive35D Pitfalls?

Hey everyone,

I've got an opportunity to get an 2012 E70 with the diesel engine in it, 100k miles.

Are there any pitfalls or significant issues I should look for or be aware of when I go inspect the vehicle? I'll be getting the CarFax on it as well so I'll at least have visibility to any logged work on the vehicle..

I've familiar with diesel as it relates to my Ford Powerstroke, and mainly curious if in colder weather there's still the need to let the engine warm up for 5-10 minutes in the passenger vehicle like my pickup.

Thanks in Advance.

- Tim in Minnesota.
---------------------
2007 X3
2005 F-350 Dually
2015 Outback (for the wife)
1975 Triumph Spitfire
1952 Chevy Styleline Deluxe

Last edited by dachtera; 08-10-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2019, 04:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
xDrive35D Pitfalls?

Biggest problem is the emissions related parts. They fail early if the car is driven mostly on short trips is what Iíve extrapolated over the years.
Thankfully bmw warranties most for 10 years or 120k miles so there is some cushion. Some dealerships harder to get to honor than others, they sometimes try to add diagrams fees or ask fir something else to be fixed along with it.
Tte aftermarket has several Ďalphabet delete kitsí. May be an option if your locale does not have emission testing.
Other common item is soft fail on thermostat. Need to watch that as it could result in no DPF regen.
Also common to e70 is failed cowl partitions. On the diesel it will cause water to leak into injector 5 then that will fail.
Other than that you have a pretty solid car that will probably need to be caught up on maintenance.

Iíve had my X5d for a little over 6 years and it will hit 100k miles in the next week or so. I love it. Iíve only replaced the thermostat but had no emissions parts failures to date. I attribute it to most drives being 245 mile slugs going over Sierra Nevada mountain passes. Long drives, sustained speeds, load on the engine it seems to like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

Last edited by FredoinSF; 08-10-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:08 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d (traded in)
Like Fredo said, emissions stuff. Make sure you use approved BMW oil as that can screw up emissions.
Cold weather is not an issue these diesels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2019, 09:43 PM

Mein Auto: x5 35d e70 2011
You don't need to let it warm up, just idle a minute or so to get the oil flowing up there in cold ass MN. I've had easy cold starts with smooth idle even when we had that cold snap of 5 degrees F.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:54 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Like Fredo said, emissions stuff.
+2

It would be nice if you could read the DME and see if there are any (hidden) codes ...and maybe see when they were all last cleared. Before you buy it of course.

Any chance you will have a BMW specific code reader? Hate to find there are odd emissions codes that were cleared (ie DPF, etc) then dumping it.

Ask where it was last serviced. Ask for those records. Is it an owner or a flipper that is selling?

Are you a DIYer? or will you be paying retail BMW dealer prices?

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 08-11-2019, 05:20 AM

Hi Ard.

It's an auction sale due to the RR door that was damaged and a little of the wheel well (hidden with trim) With over 100k miles, insurance doesn't want to fix much on a BMW. So, the insurance company sent it to auction, not an owner or flipper. (heck, I even looked at a 2017 X3 that needed a bumper and rear gate that was sent to auction with only 18k miles.)

So, Carfax says routine service has been done as well as the idler recall and airbag. Nothing out of the ordinary or repeat service on a recurring issue noted My current X3 was an auction buy, the same type of insurance deal with light damage from an accident and I've had no issues with it at all. I do plan to go back to the dealer if possible to find the records. Luckily my current X3 came with the last 2 years of records in the glove box when I got it!

I'm a DIY guy for as much as I can. In past vehicles, I have done anything from general maintenance to electronics repair on modules. I've stayed away from any significant engine work on anything newer than my 52 Chevy, mainly because I've never had any significant drivetrain issues to deal with.

I'm historically a Ford/Chevy guy and pretty fluent around them, but I'm just getting back into the BMW world again after nearly 20 years. (Also, the Mrs. is quite inquisitive since it's going to cost a few bucks to buy if I win the auction)

Thanks all!

Last edited by dachtera; 08-11-2019 at 05:31 AM.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:37 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

If it is titled as a Total Loss, I am pretty sure NONE of the BMW extended warranties will apply. not 100% on this, maybe someone will chime in.

No Nox sensor or DEF tank sensor replacements? If you know a BMW SA, grab the vin, plop down in the seat in front of him and say 'could you give this a leek for me?"

I lemoned a 2010, Hid two packages of complete (anonymized) records in the car before I turned it in...

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

Old 08-11-2019, 10:07 AM

I see regular 'Engine Service' at 45 and 90k miles on the vehicle in the carfax, but nothing specific. if I pick up the vehicle, I'll try and get the records from the dealer it was serviced at near me.

Not a huge concern on the warranty especially at 105K, but I will want to verify that the recalls notices were actually addressed
Old 08-11-2019, 10:22 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachtera View Post
I see regular 'Engine Service' at 45 and 90k miles on the vehicle in the carfax, but nothing specific. if I pick up the vehicle, I'll try and get the records from the dealer it was serviced at near me.

Not a huge concern on the warranty especially at 105K, but I will want to verify that the recalls notices were actually addressed
you may be confusing recalls with service actions (and extended warranties). A recall you get even if you dont have 'the issue'

The nox and DEF sensor requires the failure first. If they havbent yet failed, they will- it sucks to buy a car and face $$ in the first year. Especially when BMW wont pony up. Just saying

Id try to get an idea of records BEFORE you 'pick it up'....

GL

Last edited by ard; 08-11-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35d (traded in)
Quote:

The problem with emissions is not only that it is pricey, but sometimes very hard to pin point on exact problem.
I truly enjoyed my 35d. I got it as I owned in Europe E61 525d. But in hindsight, I would get 35i.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2019, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 xdrive35d White
Took delivery about 6 weeks ago of our 2010 X5 35d and luckily the check engine light on was due to the active tank needing to be replaced. So of course this happened on the dealers dime and the day I went to take delivery almost a week later a backup sensor went out. So that was two things I didn't have to cover.

I'm hearing emissons, emissions, emissions when it comes to issues. Otherwise it's a solid SAV.

Definitely a DIY guy myself so I'm ready to tackle whatever comes up.

Last edited by 2010xdrive35d; 08-12-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:18 PM

So, Checked out the E70 today. A nearly new set of tires on the vehicle. Short of the damage to the rear door and tire the car itself is in excellent condition aside from one item. The blower motor doesn't seem to get off low speed, however, the AC is ice cold. was not able to test drive due to tire damage. Shifted into gear without any odd noises. The car itself has been very well kept. Nothing leaking and the underside is dry. It looks like it's been a clean car vs. having it detailed and polished to dump it. I did a quick check in some of the easily accessible areas behind panels and under the hood and I can't see any evidence of some joker messing with wiring or anything like I found in my X3. This just looks like a well maintained and serviced vehicle up until it was damaged and the insurance wrote it off. Far from a total loss.

Unfortunately, the dealer was unable to provide me the set of records to review, but could only comment that it was in for the 'general maintenance' as the service manager said.

Upon looking up reviews of this specific year online, I saw many reports of the MPG over the stated range (25+) so if that is the case with most of my miles being 60-70mph, I'll be even happier.

All in all, it has my Wife's blessing, so, we'll see what happens at auction!
Old 08-12-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
The blower motor doesn't seem to get off low speed, however, the AC is ice cold.
Just went through this myself. Turned out to be low voltage due to a worn out battery. Once it's charged or replaced I bet the blower will work just fine.

Keep us posted on the outcome.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:40 PM

This is my suspicion too as it was a slow start and I could tell the battery was weak. Of course, 2 minutes after turning off the engine and looking in all the electronics package I got the low battery warning.

I'll post back some details, hopefully as the top bidder!
Old 08-12-2019, 09:16 PM

Mein Auto: x5 35d e70 2011
It's actually not low voltage, as I had that issue with the blower only going low. It's bmw's retarded way of determining battery charge level. Even though I had perfect 14.8v at idle the stupidly programmed ibs system deemed my battery as "low" and ihka has coding to bypass that nonsense. It should be based on alternator load which wasn't high, but like I said bmw programmed their ibs system from the perspective of someone who doesn't have a clue how DC charging/battery systems work. That's why they make big money on batteries... My battery was strong enough to start the car easily when it was 5f outside and yet even after resets it was bitching about battery level even though it was coded as flooded... Why? Because they essentially lie to you and force factory agm as a solution to their ocd crap ibs warnings
Meanwhile, you can have a bad comfort access handle drain your battery and it won't notice that, in one case it melted a handle and no power warnings or reduced blower output. Odd huh?
Old 08-12-2019, 10:10 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Good luck. If you havent noticed, we have some amazing knowledgeable folks here (and a few AHs like me) so you should be able to chase down any issues that come up.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
(and a few AHs like me)
One thing I've learned about you real quick ard is you're what we call in Texas "A Straight Shooter" You don't BS. Well not that much anyway
If there's something that has to be said, you say it. Whether anyone would admit it or not we need guys like you. To give it to someone straight. You might jump me one day for something, but I won't take it personal. After all you're here to help, and you've been around this brand a lot longer than most. So... I guess what I'm trying to say is... don't change a thing. AH or not. You've got my vote!

Last edited by 2010xdrive35d; 08-12-2019 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:25 AM

Boo-Hiss. The X went for 9,700 to a bidder in Indiana. They got one heck of a car for that price.

The search goes on to find my unicorn.

Thanks for the information, I'm pretty much a human sponge when it comes to cars.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Boo-Hiss. The X went for 9,700 to a bidder in Indiana. They got one heck of a car for that price.

Thanks for the information, I'm pretty much a human sponge when it comes to cars.
I'm excited for you! I hope you find one heck of a car too for a great price!
Old 08-13-2019, 03:20 PM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
Quote:

Wow, there are non wrecked ones selling for not a lot more than that...

Old 08-13-2019, 03:23 PM

The market in my area for a comparable 35D was 11-16k depending on miles, targeting about 13-15k with average 100k miles. This one would have needed about a grand in parts + the time to rehab the door-jam they cut out to get into the back door. DIY cost would have still been a good buy, but there will be others. A few more I'm looking at, both 2015 models (gasoline) I'd much rather replace some bumpers and hoods vs. patch fixed panels back in place, weld, paint, blend...
Old 08-19-2019, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: 09 X5 35d|05 Subie Legacy
Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Cold weather is not an issue these diesels.
I can attest to this, though there are limits. If my car is to be used as the measuring stick, it's -40 degrees (C or F, it's the same thing) when the battery goes "nuh-uh, not today".
Old 08-19-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluesblues View Post
I can attest to this, though there are limits. If my car is to be used as the measuring stick, it's -40 degrees (C or F, it's the same thing) when the battery goes "nuh-uh, not today".
Old 09-10-2019, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335xi / 2012 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by cluesblues View Post
This made me laugh as I was going to reply to the earlier poster with a 5 F "cold snap"

Being 7hrs NE of you near Cold Lake, we are accustomed to the "nuh-huh" days, and had over 2 weeks straight of them last winter
Old 09-12-2019, 04:02 PM

Mein Auto: M6 GC ZCP; '12 X5 Diesel
I would add, one annoying part that seems to constantly fail is the glow plugs and module. Those parts are not covered under any manufacture extended emissions parts warranty. Also note that owning a turbo car tends to result in a lot of annoying oil and coolant leaks as there's a lot of extra plumbing involved for cooling. So just be prepared for the time and money in tracing the source of the leaks and fixing them. I see you already own an older gen X3, so needless to say you're also dealing with an aging BMW, which isn't cheap from fixes and maintenance standpoint.

I would also caution you on your driving habits. As others mentioned it's a car that requires to be driven under moderate load (mountain climbing/towing) and long distances often for the health of your emissions equipment. If you're doing a lot of short urban driving, I would recommend you stay away from the diesel. It'll wreck havoc on your expensive AGM battery and emissions parts (latter is covered under various emissions warranty).

That said, the D gets amazing fuel mileage. I often return 26-29 mpgs with a fully loaded car on road trips. (24 with a roof box) That's not too shabby for a 5000lb vehicle. The E70 itself is also a very well designed car. Huge wide interior, great hydraulic steering feel, AWD and optional 3rd row seats. What more can you ask for?
2013 bicycle (oily chain)

Last edited by Flying Ace; 09-12-2019 at 04:08 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search