2019 540 lease - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)

G30 (2017 - Current)
The next generation 5 Series, chassis code G30, arrives at dealers in February 2017. Looking like a scaled down 7 Series and riding on the CLAR platform, the new 5 Series will have a focus on lightweight and sporty performance. Engines options will come from BMW's new B family for the 530 and 540 and a turbocharged V8 for the M550i. Read more about the 2017 5 Series

Old 09-07-2019, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: e60 2008 528i
2019 540 lease

I'm going to sign a lease on 540xi and want to know if I should buy extended maintenance plan to cover brakes and wipers. When should I expect brakes to be replaced ? I'm going to drive 12k per year . Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2019, 04:04 PM

Mein Auto:
At $700 before negotiating I would likely add it and call it a day. That being said, you can wait until you need brakes to pick it up from my understanding.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
It depends on your driving environment and your behavior. My E46 M3 had the original brake pads at 115k miles, and still had about 1/3 left on the front. I never bothered checking the rear pads. My 535i's front pads are wearing faster, maybe at 1/3 left at 60k miles.

If you see a line of cars ahead stopped at a red light, take you foot off the gas and coast up to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2019, 05:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 535d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
It depends on your driving environment and your behavior. My E46 M3 had the original brake pads at 115k miles, and still had about 1/3 left on the front. I never bothered checking the rear pads. My 535i's front pads are wearing faster, maybe at 1/3 left at 60k miles.

If you see a line of cars ahead stopped at a red light, take you foot off the gas and coast up to them.
Since 1997 my driving was influenced by having a Suburban and later a motor home. I am careful not to rely on brakes so they last quite a while for my cars, way over 150,000 miles it seems. The rears wear more than the front brake pads too.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: 18' Tesla Model 3 Perf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_spart View Post
I'm going to sign a lease on 540xi and want to know if I should buy extended maintenance plan to cover brakes and wipers. When should I expect brakes to be replaced ? I'm going to drive 12k per year . Thanks
The price of the product (600-700 to add brakes and wipers for the 3 year 36k term) tells you that BMW does not expect to have to do your brakes.

A brake job at the dealer costs significantly more than 700, and you can not simply roll up to the dealer and say "I want you to do my brakes". They wont do them unless and until the car calls for it, or the wear indicator reaches the specified amount.

Unless you drive with your foot on the brake, or someone who is "heavy" on brakes (lots and lots of aggressive braking) its unlikely for you to need to do them during your lease term.

If you look at the difference between adding the brakes for 3 year / 36 (600-700) and adding the 4th year back to the included maintenance on top of that (which I think comes out around 1400-1700), BMW is telling you that their statistics say that they expect to have to replace "some" brakes in the 4th year and under 50k miles, but after 36k miles.

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

18' Tesla Model 3 Performance

BMW CCA #477341
Old 09-09-2019, 11:56 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 540i; 428 GC; 340i 6MT
My brakes are fine at 55,000 miles and I drive "spiritedly".
2016 428 GC MSport

Prior BMW's
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 09-09-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
My brakes are fine at 55,000 miles and I drive "spiritedly".
Unless I'm going fast for a particular reason, I'm hyper-mile-ing. My philosophy when hyper-mile-ing is "Braking is the result of either bad luck or bad planning." I was coasting up to a red light and a line of stopped cars today, and the person behind me was waving her hands and blowing her horn at me. She almost had a valid complaint, because I was in the right lane and she wanted to get in the upcoming right turn lane and make a turn. For this reason, I always try to do my coasting up to a red light in the middle lane if there are three lanes. But, even then people bitch.

After my hyper-mile-ing, I later came up on a green light were I was making a left turn. The cars in front of me has all cleared the intersection, so the light was about to turn yellow. So, I had to do late braking and the slide through the turn. My Michelin PSS's do a lot better at that than the OE Goodyear LS2 RFT's did.

Frau Putzer's Honda went 145k miles before the brakes started squealing, and the rear wore out before the front ones (which started squealing at 147k miles). My record for brakes is 127k miles, when I sold the car but the brakes were still good. But, was when I was driving on a lot of business trips.

We're eventually moving to the foothills of the Smoky Mountains from flat-as-a-pancake Floriduh. We'll go through some brakes up here.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
Unless I'm going fast for a particular reason, I'm hyper-mile-ing. My philosophy when hyper-mile-ing is "Braking is the result of either bad luck or bad planning." I was coasting up to a red light and a line of stopped cars today, and the person behind me was waving her hands and blowing her horn at me. She almost had a valid complaint, because I was in the right lane and she wanted to get in the upcoming right turn lane and make a turn. For this reason, I always try to do my coasting up to a red light in the middle lane if there are three lanes. But, even then people bitch.

After my hyper-mile-ing, I later came up on a green light were I was making a left turn. The cars in front of me has all cleared the intersection, so the light was about to turn yellow. So, I had to do late braking and the slide through the turn. My Michelin PSS's do a lot better at that than the OE Goodyear LS2 RFT's did.

Frau Putzer's Honda went 145k miles before the brakes started squealing, and the rear wore out before the front ones (which started squealing at 147k miles). My record for brakes is 127k miles, when I sold the car but the brakes were still good. But, was when I was driving on a lot of business trips.

We're eventually moving to the foothills of the Smoky Mountains from flat-as-a-pancake Floriduh. We'll go through some brakes up here.
I;m glad I am not behind you. Yesterday I was on a road with two lanes in each direction and a left turning lane. I am driving up to the light to make a right turn. There were two cars in front of me in the left lane. One of them then swerved over to the right lane where he waited until the light turned green to drive forward. In the meantime I couldn't make a right turn on red.

I don't hypermile but sometimes I might coast up to a red light. But I always keep my eye on the rear view mirror and will often pull into the left lane to give folks room to make a right turn on red.

The other problem I have with coasting is that most of the turn signals here use a sensor to determine if there are three or more cars waiting to turn left and will only turn on the left turn signal if it senses that there are three cars waiting. So coasting into the turn lane could even mean missing a turn and having to wait a second time for the lights to switch.

But if there is no where to go, then I don't care if someone is coasting in front of me.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I;m glad I am not behind you. Yesterday I was on a road with two lanes in each direction and a left turning lane. I am driving up to the light to make a right turn. There were two cars in front of me in the left lane. One of them then swerved over to the right lane where he waited until the light turned green to drive forward. In the meantime I couldn't make a right turn on red.

I don't hypermile but sometimes I might coast up to a red light. But I always keep my eye on the rear view mirror and will often pull into the left lane to give folks room to make a right turn on red.

The other problem I have with coasting is that most of the turn signals here use a sensor to determine if there are three or more cars waiting to turn left and will only turn on the left turn signal if it senses that there are three cars waiting. So coasting into the turn lane could even mean missing a turn and having to wait a second time for the lights to switch.

But if there is no where to go, then I don't care if someone is coasting in front of me.
If the woman behind me would have used her right turn signal instead of her hands and horn, I would have sped up. There road had just transitioned from four lanes (two on each side) to six lanes. So, I'd got on the right lane to get out of people's way, and there was a lot of fast traffic coming up in the middle lane, including the pissed off woman. If she'd been paying more attention, she could have passed me before pulling into the right lane.

Mathematically and excluding delaying people getting into the turn lanes, if I don't have to speed up before catching the cars in front of me, I'm not impeding traffic.

The demographic who gets the most pissed at my coasting are drivers of 3/4 and one-ton, diesel trucks. They often pass me, and then speed up to hit me with a cloud of diesel smoke before they have to stomp on their brakes to stop for the red light.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:38 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 540i; 428 GC; 340i 6MT
For any newbies here, Autoputzer is a senior citizen living in Florida. In addition to coasting, he likely had his turn signal on for the last 12 miles. Pull that crap up here in Boston and you'll get a one-finger salute, maybe a friendly tap on the rear bumper to wake you up.

The Putz Meister may be old and slow, but at least he waits till he's home to take his daily nap. Unlike this guy:

2016 428 GC MSport

Prior BMW's
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 09-10-2019, 02:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 X3 M40i
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
For any newbies here, Autoputzer is a senior citizen living in Florida. In addition to coasting, he likely had his turn signal on for the last 12 miles. Pull that crap up here in Boston and you'll get a one-finger salute, maybe a friendly tap on the rear bumper to wake you up.

The Putz Meister may be old and slow, but at least he waits till he's home to take his daily nap. Unlike this guy:

Exactly. In Manhattan, you'd get the **** beaten out of you at some point doing this.
2016 Porsche Macan Turbo
2018 SQ5 Prestige (sold)
2018 BMW X3 M40i
2018 BMW M550i (sold)
2018 BMW M5
Old 09-10-2019, 04:46 PM

Hey, I'm only a senior citizen if there's a discount involved.

Yeah, in some ways my 535i is the Ultimate Driving (Miss Daisy) Machine.

I live in NW Floriduh, not really part of the real Floriduh. It's more like Alabama By The Sea.

You Bostonians and New Yorkers be nice when you're down here visiting. It's legal to carry a loaded pistol in the glove box or center console bin here, no firearm license required. That's why most locals are so polite in traffic. . They don't want to get shot by another local.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)
Today's Posts Search