Rattling Noise - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)

G30 (2017 - Current)
The next generation 5 Series, chassis code G30, arrives at dealers in February 2017. Looking like a scaled down 7 Series and riding on the CLAR platform, the new 5 Series will have a focus on lightweight and sporty performance. Engines options will come from BMW's new B family for the 530 and 540 and a turbocharged V8 for the M550i. Read more about the 2017 5 Series

Old 11-02-2018, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 530i
Rattling Noise

Im bringing my car in to get checkout next friday so some rattling noises i've noticed when driving slow speeds under 30 mph. When the road isn't smooth and has small bumps or what not theres a rattling noise which sounds like its coming from possibly my passenger seat or somewhere in that area could also be the back seat not 100% sure where. But i have noticed that it doesn't do it if i have someone in the seat. Also the same thing when going under 30 mph there's another rattle on the driver side somewhere which i believe is coming from the front area maybe around the shocks or strut area. Hopefully they can figure it out, i can live with the cracking noise from the cheap material on the dash but the other rattling issue i can't. Yes i can turn the radio up but when i have my child in the backseat sleeping that isn't an option, and hearing that rattle irritates the hell outta me lol since i cant mute it out or ignore it no matter how hard i try. Hopefully some of ya'll experienced the same thing gotten yours fixed and I can pass that info to my SA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2018, 08:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 540i M Sport
i had a similar rattling noise on the passenger side from time to time and it was also driving me nuts. I could not figure it out for the longest time because it was not always present. One day it happened just after I dropped off a friend. The road was kinda bumpy but wide and with no traffic so I took a long look at the seat and window thinking maybe the auto-close wasn't working. I noticed the seatbelt tongue was twisted around on the strap touching the hard surface on the lower B-pillar and every time it moved it rattled. I turned it 'round so the tab faced the inside of car, which is how it's supposed to hang. Problem solved.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:05 PM

Your issue sounds like the rattle was a hard rattling noise. The rattle from my front or back passenger side is more of a loose noise. I kinda think its the headrest or something from the sound of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2018, 06:14 AM
Jack the cat

Mein Auto: 2018 540i
My passenger seat belt rattles whenever my wife gets out of the car. The tongue gets twisted to face the door. I turn the belt so the tongue is facing the inside, rattle gone. Annoying but simple.

2018 540i Sport Line / Cognac Leather / Driving Assistance / Driving Assistance + / Premium Package / Parking Asst. Package / 19" wheels / Apple CarPlay. European delivery June 2018

Prior:
2011 535i - Imperial Blue Metallic / Venetian Beige Dakota Leather / Light Wood Trim - Premium 1&2 - Smartphone integration

2016 X3 35XI - Mineral White Metallic / Mocha Nevada Leather / XLine / Driver Asst+ / Premium / Technology

1998 523i - German version

1995 325i
Old 11-06-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack the cat View Post
My passenger seat belt rattles whenever my wife gets out of the car. The tongue gets twisted to face the door. I turn the belt so the tongue is facing the inside, rattle gone. Annoying but simple.
i seen other people post that issue but i actually grabbed the tongue and held it in my hand while driving and the rattle is still there when i run over small bumps or anything of that nature. im just waiting for the tech to say nothing is wrong
Old 11-07-2018, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto:
Yes, I've had that issue myself ('17 540i) and its always a twisted front passenger belt clanging against the pillar or seat. Untwist and the rattle is gone.

On another note I do have an annoying creak from the sunroof. Doesn't happen when the glass is fully open or when the sunshade/galss is completely closed.

So, I'm guessing its a loose shade that's the culprit. Guess I'll find out when I get my 15k checkup. Until then, the radio volume will be louder.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '17 540xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
Exclamation Rattling passenger seat belt buckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack the cat View Post
Yea - that really is a nuisance when it bangs against the hard plastic trim. I thought I've seen a silicone sleeve (Ebay??) that fits over seat belt buckles but wish BMW would have made that interior trim out of a plastic with a soft surface that would dampen the noise!
"Seek and ye shall find" - start with your owner's manual!

Click on the MrRebates logo/link for cash back savings at on-line stores like Tirerack!Mr. Rebates
Old 11-07-2018, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: See Sig
I have the same rattle and it's not the seatbelt either. Still have not found the rattle.
Previous BMW: 2012 550 M-Sport
Old 11-07-2018, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 530xi
I had a similar issue on my 530i. Just after I got it, it had a rattle when driving and I took it 3 times to the dealer. Turned out the rear strut was bad. The 2nd time they just swapped the right and left rear struts. That just changed the location of the sound. Eventually they put new ones in, problem solved.
For me the sound came from the c pillars. Like a metal banging on metal.
So check the struts for sure.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikedee42 View Post
I had a similar issue on my 530i. Just after I got it, it had a rattle when driving and I took it 3 times to the dealer. Turned out the rear strut was bad. The 2nd time they just swapped the right and left rear struts. That just changed the location of the sound. Eventually they put new ones in, problem solved.
For me the sound came from the c pillars. Like a metal banging on metal.
So check the struts for sure.
Inside rattle or the outside one that i think is coming from the strut area?
Old 11-08-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
I have the same rattle and it's not the seatbelt either. Still have not found the rattle.
What has the dealer been saying?
Old 11-09-2018, 12:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 530xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by reice923 View Post
Inside rattle or the outside one that i think is coming from the strut area?

Inside,
It always sounded like it was coming from the rear speaker deck. Or in the trunk. On the rear passenger side c pillar.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 11-09-2018, 03:29 AM

Mein Auto: See Sig
Quote:
What has the dealer been saying?
There has been a rattle in the right rear door panel. The dealer has done everything imaginable. I had to cancel two appointments, and it's intermittent so I have not had it back for a while. They were sure they had it fixed, but no luck.
Previous BMW: 2012 550 M-Sport
Old 11-09-2018, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535XI
I have the same rattle. Almost sounds like something is rolling around in one of the storage compartments. Checked my glove box and trunk storage. Everything was secure. Seems the rattle or knocking happens at certain temperatures and road conditions. Not the passenger seat belt. I stick the metal sleeve up into the top plastic belt cover so it's secure.

Cars going in for service soon. Will have to see if they have a fix.

Quote:
Your issue sounds like the rattle was a hard rattling noise. The rattle from my front or back passenger side is more of a loose noise. I kinda think its the headrest or something from the sound of it.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crmgr View Post
I have the same rattle. Almost sounds like something is rolling around in one of the storage compartments. Checked my glove box and trunk storage. Everything was secure. Seems the rattle or knocking happens at certain temperatures and road conditions. Not the passenger seat belt. I stick the metal sleeve up into the top plastic belt cover so it's secure.

Cars going in for service soon. Will have to see if they have a fix.
Keep this post updated please. I think mine is coming from the head rest or something by the way the noise sounds or maybe something inside the seat. I wish i would have noticed earlier because when i first bought the car the passenger seat belt alarm would go off even though nothing was in the seat. They fixed that by doing something so im not sure if it was making that rattle before or after. And then im still confused on the rattle from the front of the car.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2019 540i
I had the same right rear rattle in my 2017 530i so I traded it for a 2019 540i and the rattle was gone....But now at 5,000 miles and I am hearing the same exact rattle. I completely obsessed on my 2017 and NEVER found the rattle. I had it back to the dealer several times, I used chassis ears, sat in the back with a stethoscope for hours on end an NO LUCK. Like all the others I thought STRUT, INSIDE THE REAR DOOR, PASSENGER SEAT, REAR DECK...oh you name it....NEVER FOUND IT.....It is there for sure but BMW will not acknowledge it....I give up !!! Along with the cheapness of the sound of the doors closing I think I'm done with BMW. Very sad really b/c I LOVE everything else but BMW will not take ownership of this REAL VERY ANNOYING issue.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: VW Passat
Just posted this on a similar thread but here goes in case anyone misses Talbano2's thread.

The passenger seat belt rattle has been well covered but I've also noticed the pocket in the seat back can rattle under certain conditions. Opening it and ensuring it is properly seated again cures the issue, only reoccurs if someone has fiddled with the pocket.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)
Today's Posts Search