2013 E70 35xi LCI Center Wheel Caps - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 09-09-2019, 05:14 PM

Mein Auto: 98 e39 540i
2013 E70 35xi LCI Center Wheel Caps

So I want to replace my BMW center caps in my wheels. Couple of questions; Do they pop out of there and pop back in say carefully with a small screwdriver? What are the best kinds to get metal or plastic? Anybody have any feedback about after market ones good, bad, or indifferent?
TIA!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 05:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 xdrive35d White
Following.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:24 PM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
They're plastic which I would think is the best material for this application. They pop out very easily with a small screwdriver, use either a plastic tool or some sort of cloth or paper to protect the wheel if you're OCD about that sort of thing. They also pop out from back side if you take the wheel off.

Curious: Are you replacing because they failed or because you want something other than the BMW roundel?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2019, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.4/2013 650ix GC
Ditto above...the hubcaps are plastic and can be pried out or (popped out if pushed from the backside).

Also know what the actual 11 digit BMW part number is for the type of hubcap you need. There are multiple sizes depending on which BMW wheel style you have. This is to figure out by simply pulling up the wheel diagrams on one of the online partdatabase sites...enter your VIN, then go to the wheel diagrams to find your wheel style. The part number will be listed for the center hubcap. If you're not familiar with any online part database...here's 3 of my favs...feel free to save/bookmark them for future reference...they can be invaluable in helping slog through online listings if you need to buy parts online...and prevent ending up with the wrong item that was made for a model with the same nomenclature but different generation or if there was a change in the production run that creates multiple part number due to minor changes etc:
  1. https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select
  2. http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/
  3. https://bimmercat.com

Also know that there will probably be an older part number (and style) that has a plastic (grayish) colored band going around the circumference of the hubcap. The newer hub cap and part number has a chrome band around the circumference...it looks just like the trunk and hood Roundels.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MPar%20Hub%20Cover%2068mm%20old%20vs%20new%20style%202.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	864119   Click image for larger version

Name:	MPar%20Hub%20Cover%2068mm%20old%20vs%20new%20style%201.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	864121  
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe` (Black Sapphire) 1/13 mfg date
(SOLD)
97 740iL (Arctic Silver) <<~>> 99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=637911&d=1538398374&thumb=1&stc=1

Last edited by QSilver7; 09-10-2019 at 07:56 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
They're plastic which I would think is the best material for this application. They pop out very easily with a small screwdriver, use either a plastic tool or some sort of cloth or paper to protect the wheel if you're OCD about that sort of thing. They also pop out from back side if you take the wheel off.

Curious: Are you replacing because they failed or because you want something other than the BMW roundel?
Thanks for this. They are "weathered" and yes I'm OCD
To that end, is anybody come up with the most maintenance free product you can put on your wheels, and hose off, just for a temporary fixed until you can get down there and scrub them off?
This of course with a product that is harmless to the rounded and wheel...

Old 09-10-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320kplus View Post
To that end, is anybody come up with the most maintenance free product you can put on your wheels, and hose off, just for a temporary fixed until you can get down there and scrub them off?
This of course with a product that is harmless to the roundel and wheel...

Old 09-10-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
Ditto above...the hubcaps are plastic and can be pried out or popped out if pushed from the backside.

Also know what the actual 11 digit BMW part number is for the type of hubcap you need. There are multiple sizes depending on which BMW wheel style you have. This is to figure out by simply pulling up the wheel diagrams on one of the online partdatabase sites...enter your VIN, then go to the wheel diagrams to find your wheel style. The part number will be listed for the center hubcap.

Also know that there will probably be an older part number (and style) that has a plastic (grayish) colored band going around the circumference of the hubcap. The newer hub cap and part number has a chrome band around the circumference...it looks just like the trunk and hood Roundels.
Gray? Really? That's a new one. Never seen that...
Thanks

Old 09-10-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Gray? Really? That's a new one. Never seen that...
Thanks

Yeah...gray. If you had them (the old style)...you could refresh the wheel hub cap by just replacing the Roundel "insignia"...which was/is a peel-n-stick label that could be adhered to the original gray plastic hub cap one with the old Roundel insignia was removed.

You can see in the pics in my post above...how the older hub cap has a Roundel insignia stuck to it vs the newer style that looks like a "mini" hood/trunk Roundel. An example can also be seen in the diagram below...the replacement Roundel insignia would be #7 in the diagram...whereas the new style hub cap would be #6

2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe` (Black Sapphire) 1/13 mfg date
(SOLD)
97 740iL (Arctic Silver) <<~>> 99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=637911&d=1538398374&thumb=1&stc=1
Old 09-10-2019, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
Quote:
This of course with a product that is harmless to the rounded and wheel...

I wax the wheels along with the rest of the car. Not sure if it helps because I have no other comparison point. There is a wheel wax product but I don't see a reason for another cleaning product on my shelf for this application so I use the same stuff as on the body panels.

You live in OH so presumably you deal with snow and road salt. That is nasty stuff. Not sure what they use in CA, but it does not seems to be as harmful to the car. Nor is it as effective because once we get below 25 degrees F it has zero effect.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Ditto above...the hubcaps are plastic and can be pried out or (popped out if pushed from the backside).

Also know what the actual 11 digit BMW part number is for the type of hubcap you need. There are multiple sizes depending on which BMW wheel style you have. This is to figure out by simply pulling up the wheel diagrams on one of the online partdatabase sites...enter your VIN, then go to the wheel diagrams to find your wheel style. The part number will be listed for the center hubcap. If you're not familiar with any online part database...here's 3 of my favs...feel free to save/bookmark them for future reference...they can be invaluable in helping slog through online listings if you need to buy parts online...and prevent ending up with the wrong item that was made for a model with the same nomenclature but different generation or if there was a change in the production run that creates multiple part number due to minor changes etc:

1. https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select
  2. http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/
  3. https://bimmercat.com

Good stuff! So there's more than one wheel listed with the same names and same/similar pics, [VIN # entered...] I know that sometimes the pics are misleading. How do I drill down and find the right one?
How do I tell which one is mine?

Old 09-10-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Good stuff! So there's more than one wheel listed with the same names and same/similar pics, [VIN # entered...] I know that sometimes the pics are misleading. How do I drill down and find the right one?
How do I tell which one is mine?

Using a VIN decoder...it says that your X5 came with wheel style 334...scroll down to the diagram, then click on it and it should open to give you the part number for each item numbered in the illustration (if it was offered based on your VIN). If something in the illustration is grayed out and the item number is not listed in the part number index below the diagram...then that item is not offered for our BMW.

Also, if you can't tell (from the illustration) if that is your wheel...then simply google BMW wheel ### (use the listed wheel style number in place of the "hash tags")...and 99.9% of the time google (or your internet search engine) will give you image results.

Or you can also use one of the several BMW wheel sites...and look for e70 X5 wheels: http://www.bmwstylewheels.com
(SOLD)

Old 09-10-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Using a VIN decoder...it says that your X5 came with wheel style 334...scroll down to the diagram, then click on it and it should open to give you the part number for each item numbered in the illustration (if it was offered based on your VIN). If something in the illustration is grayed out and the item number is not listed in the part number index below the diagram...then that item is not offered for our BMW.

Also, if you can't tell (from the illustration) if that is your wheel...then simply google BMW wheel ### (use the listed wheel style number in place of the "hash tags")...and 99.9% of the time google (or your internet search engine) will give you image results.

Or you can also use one of the several BMW wheel sites...and look for e70 X5 wheels: http://www.bmwstylewheels.com
Roger that! Thanks again for your help!

Old 09-11-2019, 07:09 AM

So I'm of the mindset of doing it right the first time and forgetting about it. To that end, do they make "metal" center caps for BMW wheels? Aftermarket? I have one without the actual "cap"[guts] and I'm just thinking about wear and tear and how it would perhaps outlast the plastic ones. It just feels and looks like it would stand up to a better licking than the plastic ones. I believe mine are original from factory [4/12 build date] given their condition. I'm not sure where I got the one I have but it could be roundel for a trunk or hood on an E39.
Anyone?

Old 09-11-2019, 08:44 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
But that assumes the metal must be better..

These fail due to costing decradation, not bulk mechanical failure.., IMO

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 09-11-2019, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i M-Sport
Quote:
So I want to replace my BMW center caps in my wheels. Couple of questions; Do they pop out of there and pop back in say carefully with a small screwdriver? What are the best kinds to get metal or plastic? Anybody have any feedback about after market ones good, bad, or indifferent?
TIA!

I bought 4 for my 2011 X5 fron Amazon. You get OEM metal and aftermarket plastic. They are press fit . You have to pop the old one out with a small flat screw driver.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
So I'm of the mindset of doing it right the first time and forgetting about it. To that end, do they make "metal" center caps for BMW wheels? Aftermarket? I have one without the actual "cap"[guts] and I'm just thinking about wear and tear and how it would perhaps outlast the plastic ones. It just feels and looks like it would stand up to a better licking than the plastic ones. I believe mine are original from factory [4/12 build date] given their condition. I'm not sure where I got the one I have but it could be roundel for a trunk or hood on an E39.
Anyone?

Even if metal, they scratch , fade and lose color and chip. Better after market plastic which can be replaced as many times you want.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Anyone?

Even if metal, they scratch , fade and lose color and chip. Better after market plastic which can be replaced as many times you want.

Just measure the old one im MM before you order. Sizes vary with cars or SUV.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Anyone?

The "guts" of the original hubcap was plastic...see the hubcap on the right in the pic below (previously posted). It sounds like what you have is the "insignia" Roundel which was also shown in the diagram above (it was #7)...which has an adhesive on the back that is adhered to the plastic "guts" that you're missing.

If you want that type...then you need to order 4 of the "older" type that requires the "insignia" Roundel to be adhered to it. Again, these will be the ones that have the gray plastic band around the circumference. The "new" hub caps have the chrome surround and look like the trunk and hood Roundels (the hubcap on the right in the pic below). And the "guts" of that hubcap is also made of plastic and the Roundel part is some type of metal (probably aluminum).

I wouldn't turn this simple replacement item into a mountain...because it's definitely a molehill. Think about it...do you really want a "metal" hubcap? The cap is held in by compression...so if the "guts' where made of metal...you would have metal clasp compressing against your alloy wheels. Metal agains metal can cause scratches...plastic won't...which is why BMW uses plastic "guts" for the hub caps.

Based on the info you've given...your X5 has wheel style 334...the hub caps that came with that wheel are the type on the right in the pic above...they have the chrome surround and look like the hood and trunk Roundel.

[/img]

You need to order #4 in the diagram below...just type BMW 36 13 6 783 536 into a google/internet search box to find vendor that are selling this item:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a9vq.png
Views:	23
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	864675  
(SOLD)

Last edited by QSilver7; 09-14-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
The "guts" of the original hubcap was plastic...see the hubcap on the right in the pic below (previously posted). It sounds like what you have is the "insignia" Roundel which was also shown in the diagram above (it was #7)...which has an adhesive on the back that is adhered to the plastic "guts" that you're missing.

If you want that type...then you need to order 4 of the "older" type that requires the "insignia" Roundel to be adhered to it. Again, these will be the ones that have the gray plastic band around the circumference. The "new" hub caps have the chrome surround and look like the trunk and hood Roundels (the hubcap on the right in the pic below). And the "guts" of that hubcap is also made of plastic and the Roundel part is some type of metal (probably aluminum).

I wouldn't turn this simple replacement item into a mountain...because it's definitely a molehill. Think about it...do you really want a "metal" hubcap? The cap is held in by compression...so if the "guts' where made of metal...you would have metal clasp compressing against your alloy wheels. Metal agains metal can cause scratches...plastic won't...which is why BMW uses plastic "guts" for the hub caps.

Based on the info you've given...your X5 has wheel style 334...the hub caps that came with that wheel are the type on the right in the pic above...they have the chrome surround and look like the hood and trunk Roundel.

[/img]

You need to order #4 in the diagram below...just type BMW 36 13 6 783 536 into a google/internet search box to find vendor that are selling this item:

Roger that! Yea I ended up getting the plastic [chrome ring]
I'm happy...
Thanks again!

Old 09-14-2019, 09:53 AM

(SOLD)

Old 09-14-2019, 11:00 AM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-15-2019, 06:22 AM

Mein Auto: E65 750i Sport,C5 z51 e46
drill a small hole in the center of the old ones and pry them from there. a screw driver from the side will 100% chip the edge of the wheel. Ive put the new style on all my bmws in the past. Looks great.
e46 328i 18" 335spt whls(sold)
c5vette 6sp,z51,2"drp,19"ccw'sshrt shft,corsa exh,dd nav(sold)
e53 X5 3.0, pna rf,,20"4.6rims.(sold)
e65 750I aw, sprt. 21's,acs pdls,acs rfsplr,mtecs,8k hid(sold)
Srt10 VIPER, 19-20" forged,tune,corsa ex,intake.
w221 S550 amg,dia white,20"s63rims
e70 3.5 aw.mtec,20" 214 whls.
e46 M3vert,6spd,19"HRE,bbk,ext,intke
w222 S550 amg, dia white

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search