Next Generation All Digital Dash? - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)

G30 (2017 - Current)
The next generation 5 Series, chassis code G30, arrives at dealers in February 2017. Looking like a scaled down 7 Series and riding on the CLAR platform, the new 5 Series will have a focus on lightweight and sporty performance. Engines options will come from BMW's new B family for the 530 and 540 and a turbocharged V8 for the M550i. Read more about the 2017 5 Series

Old 04-22-2018, 02:28 PM
dce

Mein Auto: 540 dX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
"A leader stands alone" ?? Try "Resistance is futile" instead. Sucks to hear technology challenges you, but you will have to learn to live with it. Its coming your way whether you like it or not.

What exactly confuses you lets say in Audi gauges anyways? They are very informative and configurable. You don't like some content, you don't invoke it. Simple as that. Yeah, sure they are LCDs and as such they display digital content. Is that whats confusing and flashy to you? Digital needle VS mechanical needle ? Map in the gauges VS map in the center of your dash ?

You're preaching the same boring song. Tech for sake of tech doesn't serve the purpose bla bla bla. This is NOT tech for tech or tech for show off. This is how YOU perceive that new technology though. I, on the other hand, see it as tech for convenience (ease of information access). Tech can be gracefully implemented without information overload. That's what Audi did (and others too). Current BMW gauges look primitive in comparison.

To your point though, yes, I still see people waiting to deposit a check with a teller as opposed to using their phone or a "confusing" ATM.

I think you might be over analyzing this ... I, for one, was commenting on round vs oblong for speedometer & tachometer both on an LCD.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2018, 03:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 540i
Iíve seen spy photos indicating new oblong speedometer will be in 2019 LCI refresh of 7 series. We should see shortly what this actually looks like in a production vehicle.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest
Old 04-22-2018, 04:03 PM

Mein Auto: CA
Full LCD can be great - Mercedes and Audi are doing a good job there, and it looks like BMW will soon catch up.

The problem starts when they eliminate the physical controls (switches, knobs, levers, etc.) and start providing only touch and voice interfaces. That makes things harder and more distracting. Tesla went that way years ago in the Model S and X, and more recently in the Model 3 in a very extreme way. Audi and Porsche started adopting that approach with some vigor in their latest cars. Mercedes and BMW are still holding on to more traditional controls, but you can see BMW starting to go the new way, and doubtlessly Mercedes will follow as well. That is truly unfortunate, in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2018, 05:21 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
I'll pass on those. I like the classic round ones
Old 04-24-2018, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 M550i, 2014 328d
Not likely to soon. Here's a pic of the all-new next gen 2019 X5 dash from Car and Driver... looks like the current G30 digital dash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180424_194039_1524617067904.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	490.0 KB
ID:	791212  

'18 M550i
'15 X5 XDrive35i
'14 328d
Mini Cooper S Clubman (kid car)
Mini Cooper S Convertible (kid car)
Mercedes-Benz GL450 (dog hauler)

Retired:
11 535i-6 Sport
08 550i-6 MSport
05 X5 4.4 Sport
04 Z4 3.0 Sport
02 X5 3.0 Sport
99 528i Sport
& a bunch of other non-BMW's...
Old 04-24-2018, 11:40 PM
Depp500

Mein Auto: BMW 520i E39
I love classic BMW design, but this is also cool...

Poslano sa mog LG-H870 koriste***263;i Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2018, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
I hope they don't shove one of those things in the new 3 series. I plan to buy one of next gen 3 series and keep it for a while. It'd be nice if I can have one with traditional real tach/speedos.

I guess I'm just a bit of the traditionalist. Love driving my F30 for the past 6 years, but I still think about the brand new special ordered (but maybe financing fell through?) 2012 328i coupe the dealer had on its lot and was desperately trying to move. I always considered it as the "last" old school BMW. It had:

1. Manual Transmission
2. Non turbo straight 6 (although admittedly underpowered compared to the N20 turbo 4 banger in my car)
3. No iDrive (admittedly current iterations of iDrive work pretty well)
4. Hydraulic power steering.

Essentially no modern BMW has any of those things anymore (other than the odd factory ordered manual transmission car), which is a bit sad, even if the current crop of cars are all very nice.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:22 AM
Depp500

Mein Auto: BMW 520i E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtb001 View Post
I hope they don't shove one of those things in the new 3 series. I plan to buy one of next gen 3 series and keep it for a while. It'd be nice if I can have one with traditional real tach/speedos.

I guess I'm just a bit of the traditionalist. Love driving my F30 for the past 6 years, but I still think about the brand new special ordered (but maybe financing fell through?) 2012 328i coupe the dealer had on its lot and was desperately trying to move. I always considered it as the "last" old school BMW. It had:

1. Manual Transmission
2. Non turbo straight 6 (although admittedly underpowered compared to the N20 turbo 4 banger in my car)

Essentially no modern BMW has any of those things anymore (other than the odd factory ordered manual transmission car), which is a bit sad, even if the current crop of cars are all very nice.
"Non turbo straight 6" is BMW's genetic code. For me - unique

Poslano sa mog LG-H870 koriste***263;i Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2018, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: E39 E36 E91LCI G30
Quote:

1. Manual Transmission
4. Hydraqulic power steering.

I want my BMW glovebox torch
Old 04-25-2018, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto: 08 535i
Like the performance heritage of the brand, I for one wish they would resist this new trend. I love the analog gauges from my E46 M3 and those of my last 2011 335i. I bounce around between my bimmers and tuned VWs. My current car is a tuned VW GTI. Not to get off topic, but I was considering a Golf R and hated how the new models will only offer digital gauges over the traditional analog. It pains me to see BMW move in this direction although I guess its inevitable as Audi and Mercedes already have begun using these types of gauges. I may need to snag an M235 before they ruin the dash for me. Some things just don't need changing.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: G30 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dephead2004 View Post
I want my BMW glovebox torch
I've got one in my M3, but it doesn't work :/
Old 04-25-2018, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 E-60 550i with M spo
I have a 2010 550 M-sport, my first BMW. After doing all my own maintenance and rebuilding all major systems. I have no complaints, and for me the E-60 chassis seems well designed, built and serviceable. I have worked on all sorts of equipment and vehicles and love how well designed the car is. For me 2010 is as new as I want to get. I like a car for it's ability to be a car. Digital dash is just more to go wrong. Like a lot of technology in many places in our lives. At some point it is just overkill and fluff that takes away from the overall experience. Love my 2010...
Old 04-25-2018, 06:41 PM

Mein Auto: 530e
Eventually any dash display will be for entertainment.

#selfdrivingcarsarehere
Old 04-30-2018, 02:35 PM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2016 Chevrolet Tahoe
Quote:

1. Manual Transmission

I feel you. Those E90 328s were truly the end of an era, although at my altitude (6400 feet) that NA I-6 was indeed underpowered. Really excellent cars, though.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X-5 5.0i
not so happy about that all digital display on my 2019 X-3 M40i.
Several reasons:
Distraction as to what screen shows what- confusing
most relevant info just not THERE. How about an actual, real oil level by qt or ltr. and add the oil temp gauge...
is tire PSI indicator REALLY TRUE?
one brief large EMP pulse would kill everything here....

KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID actually works best without having a doctorate in auto tech to understand all the HOWs and WHYs
otherwise fun activity entertainment while waiting on the wife and her shopping spree:
"Get to know your car..."

2011 BMW X-5 5.0 Msport. loaded 140k miles Best E70 ever!
2019 BMW X-3 M40i loaded

Last edited by QDP; 08-09-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
The nice thing about LED screens is that they can display different information differently. I have no problem with BMW's new speedo and tach so long as they offer me the alternative of more standard round dials moving in the traditional direction. If they can offer all the different ambient colors inside the car, the company should be able to offer both types of display.

Change for change's sake is not a good idea when it comes to basic operations of an automobile. I remember years ago I was traveling and got a PT Cruiser as a rental. I got to the exit and needed to open the window to give the attendant my driver's license and I couldn't find the button to lower the window. It took me a while before I found that they had put the window controls in the middle of the dash.

I actually think that in the G30 before the refresh, BMW got it pretty right. Physical controls for volume, ac/heat, driving mode, seats and massage (yes, I have the luxury seating package) and a full digital display with traditional type dials. This way, with the buttons on the steering wheel, I never have to let my eyes leave the road to look at the IDrive display when I am driving.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by QDP View Post
one brief large EMP pulse would kill everything here....
You won't need to worry about your digital dash when that EMP pulse strikes, because your car, and pretty much all those around you, will quit working anyhow. Better to buy a bicycle, or better yet, dig in at home, if EMPs are a concern.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto:
The all digital dash is what pushed me to get the 2020 over the 2019 since I didn't have to hunt one down with this add-on (as it comes standard in 2020+). The speedo was shifted from a circle to enable a larger space for the map to display. I'm a fan of this as it should free up the iDrive screen for other uses. I'll likely refer the HUD, but I don't know how dense the HUD information is compared to what will be in the new cluster.

Part of the move for the industry to more screens and more digital things is to pull interest in from us younger buyers who see technology as a given. The other shift is the move toward more information in driving and digital displays will, over time, allow automakers more flexibility in determining what level of information density makes sense. Additionally, they'll be able to offer us a lot of choices around how much information each of us considers important for the driving situation.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
The all digital dash is what pushed me to get the 2020 over the 2019 since I didn't have to hunt one down with this add-on (as it comes standard in 2020+). The speedo was shifted from a circle to enable a larger space for the map to display. I'm a fan of this as it should free up the iDrive screen for other uses. I'll likely refer the HUD, but I don't know how dense the HUD information is compared to what will be in the new cluster.

Part of the move for the industry to more screens and more digital things is to pull interest in from us younger buyers who see technology as a given. The other shift is the move toward more information in driving and digital displays will, over time, allow automakers more flexibility in determining what level of information density makes sense. Additionally, they'll be able to offer us a lot of choices around how much information each of us considers important for the driving situation.
No offense intended but I don't buy that. One can have a tach that runs left to right in the exact same space. It is a design attribute to run it backwards.

As I said, I don't have a problem with BMW offering us new designs but in something this important, I would want the company to let me go back to a more traditional arrangement.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
No offense intended but I don't buy that. One can have a tach that runs left to right in the exact same space. It is a design attribute to run it backwards.

As I said, I don't have a problem with BMW offering us new designs but in something this important, I would want the company to let me go back to a more traditional arrangement.
I agree that more customization is a good thing and not less. With an all LCD screen setup they can, and should, have a "classic" mode or whatever option that would return traditional looking speedo and tach in a circular fashion; even if that compresses the information density.

The joy of digital is that they don't have to force arbitrary choices on users. Well, they can force less of them anyway.
Old 08-10-2019, 04:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 BMW 530xi M-Sport
I love tech, but that digital dash to me is not a big deal and I actually prefer the non digital dash classic look. I have a new 3 series loaner while my G30 is having its 40,000 mile service and just don't get the digital dash. Especially, if you have HUD and already using BMW's iDrive screen. HUD for me, is still much better and also safer than a digital dash. Just don't get the excitement over digital dashes. Felt the same way when I drove an Audi too.
Old 08-10-2019, 04:14 AM

Mein Auto: Acura RL
HUD is great at night. Worthesss during the day as can't see it with polarized sunglasses. If my 12 yr old C6 has a HUD that works with Maui Jims so should my G30. Seeing the road and eliminating glare is more important to me than the HUD.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kssod View Post
HUD is great at night. Worthesss during the day as can't see it with polarized sunglasses. If my 12 yr old C6 has a HUD that works with Maui Jims so should my G30. Seeing the road and eliminating glare is more important to me than the HUD.
Just get a pair of tinted but not polarized sun glasses. I wear progressive RX glasses and keep a pair of tinted ones in my car. Works great with the HUD.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2019 X3 Black Sapphire
I recently bought a pair of non-polarized sunglasses from Shady Ray's (about $35-$40) that work great with the HUD. Limited choice, but they do the trick.

https://shadyrays.com/collections/non-polarized

Last edited by BobinIl; 08-10-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-10-2019, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.4/2013 650ix GC
What I dislike about an all digital cluster is sunlight washout. This is why I prefer the 6WA Cluster vs the 6WB cluster. The physical needles & metal rings on the 6WA allows you to still judge what the gauges are reading when sunlight washes across the cluster and the digital data disappears. If you have the 6WB....the gauges washed out are impossible to read.

So my vote would be to have a cluster that still has things that are important like speed, fuel, tach, temp gauge be analog...then have secondary info/data be digital.

For example, in the pics below of the 6WA cluster, you can see the gauge needles and gauge rings when there's no power...and if the sun has washed out the digital markings (see the left fuel gauge & part of the speedometer in 2nd pic)...the analog gauge needle & metal gauge ring still reveals how much fuel remains in the tank or how fast you're driving .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW 6WA Cluster Light Washout.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	860823   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp-cam-1330994601.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	860825  
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe` (Black Sapphire) 1/13 mfg date
(SOLD)
97 740iL (Arctic Silver) <<~>> 99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=637911&d=1538398374&thumb=1&stc=1

Last edited by QSilver7; 08-10-2019 at 04:10 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)
Today's Posts Search