Why don't drivers use turn signals any more? - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)

G30 (2017 - Current)
The next generation 5 Series, chassis code G30, arrives at dealers in February 2017. Looking like a scaled down 7 Series and riding on the CLAR platform, the new 5 Series will have a focus on lightweight and sporty performance. Engines options will come from BMW's new B family for the 530 and 540 and a turbocharged V8 for the M550i. Read more about the 2017 5 Series

Old 05-12-2018, 09:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: G30 530i
I've lived in a few states and driven through many.

California is by far the worst, especially SoCal. But then again, that makes sense. I've never visited a state with more brain dead, self consumed, selfish, image conscious morons who are completely ignorant of their surroundings.

There is a general feeling of entitlement here that I've never seen anywhere else. I guess it stems from all those participation trophies. And god forbid you suggest to someone that they should use their turn signal or not sit in the left lane if they are not passing. The general populace here is so fragile that they can't be bothered with hearing that they are in the wrong.

I'm from New York. If someone told me "Hey asshole you didn't signal" I'd probably yell back "F-you" go on with my day and start using my signal. Here, you tell someone "you know the left lane shouldn't be used if you're not passing" and the response is like " Well its my car why are you telling me how to drive? You're hurting my feelings"

Last edited by ssquared; 05-12-2018 at 09:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2018, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: 5
It is now all about "self." People don't signal, use their brights in the face of oncoming traffic, don't say "thank you" to someone who holds a door, because they only care about themselves.

When someone turns without signaling I lay on the horn.

Last edited by pony_trekker; 05-12-2018 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 BMW 530e
Being retired Air Force, we lived in several countries including Germany and Iceland where the drivers are excellent and obey the law all the time. I got used to that and still follow rules as best as I can. In Turkey I learned from the taxi drivers in Ankara to bleep the horn five seconds after the light turns green if the car in front hasn't moved. Gas is very expensive and they don't appreciate anyone sitting on a green light making everyone waste their money on petrol. That's a custom I learned to use and still use it here in Texas, much to the consternation of my wife. Lots of people at the traffic light busy with their iPhones, burns me up!

Last edited by HugH; 05-12-2018 at 09:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2018, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: '17 540xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
Driver IQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquared View Post
I've noticed a lot more of that out here in CA also. In NY occasionally someone would have their brights on.

In CA I'm blinded by morons with their brights on constantly. In one 10 mike trip I'll see at least 4-5 people either in oncoming traffic or behind me with their brights on, and another 3-4 that don't have their lights on at all. I'm amazed how many people drive without their lights on at night.
+ 1 ... some drivers are poorly trained or forgot what they were taught. IF you want a real shock take a Senior Citizen Driver Ed class. YIKES!!! I WAS SHOCKED ABOUT WHAT PEOPLE THOUGHT WAS THE LAW -- or even basic driving skill. It's no wonder that drivers of ALL ages even survive long enough to kill off the good drivers!
"Seek and ye shall find" - start with your owner's manual!

Click on the MrRebates logo/link for cash back savings at on-line stores like Tirerack!Mr. Rebates
Old 05-13-2018, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: X3 hopefully
A study by the Society of Automotive Engineers concluded that lack of turn signal use is causing more accidents than even distracted driving.

https://www.sae.org/publications/tec.../2012-01-0261/

If someone uses their turn signal to indicate their desire to change lanes, I make space for them, and let them in. If they don't use a turn signal, and cut me off or get too close, they get the horn.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:22 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post
A study by the Society of Automotive Engineers concluded that lack of turn signal use is causing more accidents than even distracted driving.

https://www.sae.org/publications/tec.../2012-01-0261/

If someone uses their turn signal to indicate their desire to change lanes, I make space for them, and let them in. If they don't use a turn signal, and cut me off or get too close, they get the horn.
Interesting paper and methodology. The author Ponziani patented an electronic intelligent turn signal assistand some years previously.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugH View Post
Being retired Air Force, we lived in several countries including Germany and Iceland where the drivers are excellent and obey the law all the time. I got used to that and still follow rules as best as I can. In Turkey I learned from the taxi drivers in Ankara to bleep the horn five seconds after the light turns green if the car in front hasn't moved. Gas is very expensive and they don't appreciate anyone sitting on a green light making everyone waste their money on petrol. That's a custom I learned to use and still use it here in Texas, much to the consternation of my wife. Lots of people at the traffic light busy with their iPhones, burns me up!
You should see the drivers in the P.I.!!! Red means look and go, yellow means go fast and green was go faster! The lane lines were just for decoration on the streets. 4 marked lanes could easily mean 6 lines of traffic! It was quite interesting!

Mike
2014 535i M Sport, Carbon Black/Black (mine)
2012 535i, Dark Graphite II/Oyster (wife's)
Joshua 24:15; Phil 4:13
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-535i-lim/
Old 05-13-2018, 08:31 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2016 650i GC M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
You should see the drivers in the P.I.!!! Red means look and go, yellow means go fast and green was go faster! The lane lines were just for decoration on the streets. 4 marked lanes could easily mean 6 lines of traffic! It was quite interesting!
...and I don't think most Jeepney's there even have blinkers...

2016 650i GC M-Sport w/ 20" 373M Wheels; Alpine White; Individual Opal White Full Merino Leather; Gray Poplar Wood Trim
Anthracite Alcantara Headliner; Ceramic Controls; Executive Package w/ B&O Sound System; Integral Active Steering, etc.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 X5 35d
Living in Chicago my horn gets quite the daily workout. I think the lack of turn signal use stems from a much larger issue, which is distracted driving. It seems like the average person here cannot go 15 seconds without glancing at their phone for one reason or another. I've noticed that it's not limited to just younger millennial types either. It's not uncommon to see silver-haired grannies with a phone in their face, ignoring a light that's turned green 10 seconds ago. Either way it's quite maddening and I make it my duty to regulate these distracted SOBs with ample use of my horn and hand gestures when necessary!

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 05-14-2018, 05:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 540i X Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by shafeeq View Post
Living in Chicago my horn gets quite the daily workout. I think the lack of turn signal use stems from a much larger issue, which is distracted driving. It seems like the average person here cannot go 15 seconds without glancing at their phone for one reason or another. I've noticed that it's not limited to just younger millennial types either. It's not uncommon to see silver-haired grannies with a phone in their face, ignoring a light that's turned green 10 seconds ago. Either way it's quite maddening and I make it my duty to regulate these distracted SOBs with ample use of my horn and hand gestures when necessary!

In NJ the cops are very aggressive with ticketing for distracted driving. Drivers can also call in to report them (as well as aggressive driving), they get tracked down and ticketed even w/o concrete proof. Guess it holds up in court.

Past cars:

2014 A6 3.0T--retired
2013 Audi Q5--retired
2005 Lexus Rx 330--retired
2001 740i--ex-wife trashed
1998 740i--ex-wife trashed
1994 530i--ex-wife trashed
1992 525i--ex-wife trashed

Last edited by rfsbranch; 05-14-2018 at 05:16 AM.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 535d
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfsbranch View Post
In NJ the cops are very aggressive with ticketing for distracted driving. Drivers can also call in to report them (as well as aggressive driving), they get tracked down and ticketed even w/o concrete proof. Guess it holds up in court.
Ha ha, how does one keep up with this? I find aggressive and rude driving the norm in NJ!
Old 05-14-2018, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 540i X Drive
Yep we’re a tough group...I spent a month in FL a couple of years ago. Driver were so polite and actually let you in when signaling which I found remarkable. Never even had to honk. When I got back to NJ everything changed during the first day and .....I had to honk at some idiot who was about to cut me off!!

Past cars:

2014 A6 3.0T--retired
2013 Audi Q5--retired
2005 Lexus Rx 330--retired
2001 740i--ex-wife trashed
1998 740i--ex-wife trashed
1994 530i--ex-wife trashed
1992 525i--ex-wife trashed
Old 05-14-2018, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfsbranch View Post
Yep we’re a tough group...I spent a month in FL a couple of years ago. Driver were so polite and actually let you in when signaling which I found remarkable. Never even had to honk. When I got back to NJ everything changed during the first day and .....I had to honk at some idiot who was about to cut me off!!

I have two honks. One is a very soft and gentle one to warn someone who looks like he is about to veer out of a lane (e.g.); the other is a loud and longer beep for the idiots who make driving unsafe.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugH View Post
We lived in the P.I. and drove in Manila. Stationed at Clark AB in 67 to 69! I learned not to drive with windows open and elbow sticking out. That close they got to our car! Oh, wait...they have lanes marked now? In my days, jitney drivers made their own lanes!
They had them in Manila when the ship visited on '78. Like you said, The drivers there gave new meaning to "don't stick your elbows out too far or they might go home in another car!" We just took the "taxis" and left the Jeepnees to the locals.

Mike
Old 05-14-2018, 06:00 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2016 650i GC M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by shad99 View Post
Taxis are for sissies. Stationed in Subic same time frame. Always felt like "Lord Jim" sitting in that Jeepney hired for a peso or two while drinking my lukewarm bottle of "San Magoo" purchased for 10 centavos. (2 cents!)
Indeed. I preferred my Jeepney rides with a bottle of Tanduay ESQ Rhum (aka formaldehyde). Good stuff!

2016 650i GC M-Sport w/ 20" 373M Wheels; Alpine White; Individual Opal White Full Merino Leather; Gray Poplar Wood Trim
Anthracite Alcantara Headliner; Ceramic Controls; Executive Package w/ B&O Sound System; Integral Active Steering, etc.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad99 View Post
Taxis are for sissies. Stationed in Subic same time frame. Always felt like "Lord Jim" sitting in that Jeepney hired for a peso or two while drinking my lukewarm bottle of "San Magoo" purchased for 10 centavos. (2 cents!)

You're right there!! I learned how to waterski in Subic Bay! Nothing like virtually open ocean skiing!! Did quite a bit of snorkeling off Grande Island too.

Mike
Old 05-15-2018, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 1995 525i
Because people are selfish and distracted!

Most can use them because they have one hand on a phone, so that leaves only one to attempt to drive with. And the other part is just pure selfishness. They are only concerned with themselves. Welcome to post-modernism - where politeness and societal norms are thrown out the window. It affects ALL of society, though most don't want to acknowledge it.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 BMW 530e
Well, in '67 I finally purchased the car of my dreams...a Olds 442 with a gargantuan V8 engine and a sports suspension. A few months later I got orders to ship out to the P.I. I was a young married man with two small kids. I elected a two year accompanied tour. When we got word that my car was finally at the port in Olongapo we followed the recommendations from higher up and paid $20 for a driver and a Ford car to take us to the port and get the car. My wife was shocked and frightened when prior to getting to the hills he brandished a big .45 pistol and set it next to him on the front passenger seat. Thankfully we made it without any problems. After I processed the paperwork and was led to pick up my almost new 442 I found a Filipino worker sleeping on the back seat with the car engine and the air condition running for who knows how long! That really pissed me off! Anyway, we drove back to the base and as we got to the bottom of of the mountains ahead of us we saw a policeman with a rifle blocking the highway. I pulled over and he said I was speeding and wanted me to pay a fine of 100 pesos or else I would have to go see the judge. I pretended I was reaching for my wallet and smashed the accelerator on the 442...catch me if you can! On the way up to the mountains I came around a bend and my 1st grader kid yelled "dad look Kentucky Fried Chicken....what? In the sixties they didn't have any American fast food companies in the P.I. doing business. I had just passed the establishment so I made a u-turn on the two lane road and went around the back of the establishment and what we saw was a few wire cages full of a bunch of big black crows. We went back on the road and never looked back! The Mayor of Angeles City fall in love with my car and offered to purchase it at twice what I paid for it. Wow, great deal, except that about six months from the end of tour he was assassinated in front of his own home by the Beetles. That's what the President Marcos group was called. The other group that favored Senator Aquino was known as the Monkeys, both British groups were big on Manila TV. Of course, the Filipinos named the groups after these musical groups. Well, it was a hell of an experience being there for two full years and glad we made it back in one piece!
Old 05-15-2018, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: Z3 2.8
Michiganders are everywhere!

I live in the People's Democratic Republic of Illinois, and have noticed for many years that people from Michigan have no clue what a turn signal is for. Since you live in Arizona, you may have experienced immigrants from MI. My advice is to petition your state legislators to have those who fail to use their turn signals sent back.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerBil View Post
I live in the People's Democratic Republic of Illinois, and have noticed for many years that people from Michigan have no clue what a turn signal is for. Since you live in Arizona, you may have experienced immigrants from MI. My advice is to petition your state legislators to have those who fail to use their turn signals sent back.

I feel your pain as a fellow PDRI captive, held under the oppressive rule of Rahmbo Emmanuel. The MI folks are pretty clueless when it comes to turn signals, but can we talk for a moment about the degenerate cheeseheads from the great blight north?? They have me pulling my hair out on an almost daily basis with their driving etiquette. 11mph in a 35mph zone? Sure, why not! Making abrupt left turns from the far right lane? Par for the course. Actually had a WI guy in front of me the other day decide to use his signal, but he chose to use the left indicator to turn right. (I wish I was joking) Starting to wonder if they drive like s**t because of the lack of indoor plumbing up that way... And let's not forget the bozos who migrate down to Chicago to drive Uber on the weekends! They deserve their own thread entirely. I think I'm gonna start saving for a helicopter.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 05-15-2018, 09:27 PM

Mein Auto: 540i G31 X-Drive M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericole View Post
Most can use them because they have one hand on a phone, so that leaves only one to attempt to drive with. And the other part is just pure selfishness. They are only concerned with themselves. Welcome to post-modernism - where politeness and societal norms are thrown out the window. It affects ALL of society, though most don't want to acknowledge it.
Never a truer word has been spoken
2001 E39 525i SE Touring (ex)
1995 E34 525i SE Touring (ex)
Old 05-16-2018, 01:41 AM

Mein Auto: 435i
pet peeve here too in LA. i honestly wish theyd be ticketed, i use my signals every instance. people dont use it it constantly at lights making lefts.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: 525d F11
Interesting discussion! I thought I was the only one annoyed by this trend. I live in Germany and in the past 10 years I've seen people more and more not using a turn signal at all.

I think this is so stupid because using a turn signal is so simple - and it gives other drivers around you a chance to know and react to what's coming next.
What driver can honestly say they've never had an accident because of their own "great driving"? I think I'm blessed never to have had an accident - more often than not because other people around me were on their guard when I happened to mess up! We all make mistakes - why make it harder for other drivers around you?
Old 05-16-2018, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: X6
As a bicyclist, I have been in one accident and many near accidents due to drivers turning in front of me without signaling - especially turning right at traffic signals.
One post makes reference to Arizona law which only requires use "in the event any other traffic may be affected by the movement." Fortunately, in NY, signals are required regardless of the presence of other traffic. Still, they are not being used, and I agree that the tendency to use is decreasing. I have also seen cops and bus drivers fail to signal.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:31 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
Quote:
Originally Posted by scicc View Post
As a bicyclist, I have been in one accident and many near accidents due to drivers turning in front of me without signaling - especially turning right at traffic signals.
One post makes reference to Arizona law which only requires use "in the event any other traffic may be affected by the movement." Fortunately, in NY, signals are required regardless of the presence of other traffic. Still, they are not being used, and I agree that the tendency to use is decreasing. I have also seen cops and bus drivers fail to signal.
I live in Arizona but would prefer the NY law (my old stomping grounds...BTW). But if there is a cyclist in the area, then that is traffic that may be affected by the movement.

It is a simple matter of courtesy. Like waving in the window to say thanks to some who lets you in. Like alternating cars when two lanes merge. Etc.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)
Today's Posts Search