some Door locks not opening some not locking - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: x3,x5
some Door locks not opening some not locking

Ok, So I figured I'd throw this up just in case someone else has it. I already fixed the symptom, although I don't know what the real cause is yet.

2008 x5 4.8 w/comfort access.

Ok, so the problem: the car was locked. When it was approached, the key fob unlocked the passenger door, but not the driver door. so opening the passenger door and reaching across to the drivers door handle, the handle when pulled would raise the lock on top of the door, but it would not stay up, as soon as you let go of the inside handle, the lock would fall back down and be locked. The door would not open when the lock was in the up position with the inside handle. The center locking button would not unlock it either (or lock the passenger door again either).

We tried to hold the drivers lock up with our fingers in the drivers door when it raised, but it did not allow the door to open with either the outer or inner handle. However, the small physical key on the outside DID unlock the drivers door and allow entry. HOWEVER, the key would NOT unlock the rear passenger door, that one was now stuck locked. In addition, the key would lock the drivers door again, but not the passenger door, and not the drivers side rear, both of those were stuck unlocked.

SO....thinking this may have started with a driver's door failure, we took the door panel off the drivers side to see if there was some kind of obvious mechanical failure. Some forum posts and other threads would have you start thinking that the lock actuator had failed. However, the X5 actuators are NOT inexpensive like some other models, so I wanted to be sure it was an actuator before throwing one in.

Most of the internet threads I read definitely point to the actuator. But a little more internet searching lead me to a thread on the e90 forums, about someone having a similar set of symptoms. It turned out, it wasn't their lock actuator, it was a blown fuse. There are 3 fuses that are involved in central locking, there are 2 - 15a micro fuses (F27 and F28) and F30 (a 30 amp normal), all in the front fuse box, but a warning, a pain in the BEEP to get too they are in the back of the box and hard to reach. anyway....you can get them obviously.

I was skeptical, but low and behold, one of the 15 amp micro fuses was indeed blown. As soon as it was changed, everything went right back to normal. Now, what caused it to blow is still unknown. However, multiple E90 owners have claimed it keeps blowing on them, and if they change their 15amp to a 20amp the problem never re-occurs. I decided I'd do the same and see what happens.

It's an interesting set of symptoms that would have someone chasing door actuators, but that's not what caused it for me. Well, maybe an actuator is going, and that's why it blew, but the symptoms would not be solved by changing the actuators without replacing the fuse as well. And it just doesn't present like a problem that implies "blown fuse".

Just wanted to get it down in the forum in case anyone encounters the same set of symptoms. Don't immediately jump on the door actuator!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2019, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0
I have a similar issue 2008 X5 passenger door does not open, either from inside or using outside door handle. Unlocking the car unlocks all doors apart from passenger door. Do you think your fix is also relevant to passenger door?
Old 09-01-2019, 10:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 530xi 6sp, '09 X5 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by clinkinfo View Post
they change their 15amp to a 20amp the problem never re-occurs. I decided I'd do the same and see what happens
Personally, I would stick with the 15A fuse unless it becomes a chronic problem. Sometimes fuses get old and tired and that may be the extent of your issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2019, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 E70 x35i
Blown fuses are a symptom, rarely a cause...

Putting a larger fuse in can be a nice way to cause a fire in your door where the actuator is failing.

I suspect you may be in denial about needing new actuator(s). At eleven years old, failed actuators are entirely common and expected.

I have replaced two "Soft-Close Comfort Access" actuators in my 2013 for just those sorts of issues. Talk about EXPENSIVE! sheesh.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:59 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by x54jaz View Post
I have a similar issue 2008 X5 passenger door does not open, either from inside or using outside door handle. Unlocking the car unlocks all doors apart from passenger door. Do you think your fix is also relevant to passenger door?
well. take about 7 minutes to answer yourself.....

CHECK YOUR FUSES!!!!!!!!!!!!

also...the OP in this thread is about a year old....

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search