passenger airbag recall letter - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 03-17-2019, 03:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
I believe that US affected cars have had their recall letters for some time, I have.

I have decided to NOT have my passenger airbag replaced for fear of the damage consequent to the extremely invasive procedure by careless mechanics. Review WWw.NewTIS.info for the procedure.

newTIS.infobeta
Home / BMW E70 X5 xDrive35d SAV / Repair Manuals and Technical Data / 72 Body parts and accessories / 72 12 Gas generators, airbag modules (with steering wheel airbag 3234) / 72 12 000 Removing and installing or replacing airbag module on passenger side

Necessary preliminary tasks: [ ... ] Remove instrument panel trim

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...g-3234/OduEm50
This is by far the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. Do you have any idea what is happening when these Takata inflators deploy? There is absolutely no reason to not have this recall done, people are getting seriously injured and in some cases dying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2019, 04:20 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABoismenu View Post
This is by far the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. Do you have any idea what is happening when these Takata inflators deploy? There is absolutely no reason to not have this recall done, people are getting seriously injured and in some cases dying.
How many is that in the world? There may be 100 million, 100,000,000, 10^8 TAKATA airbags on the road in the world, how many have died, less than 100. Thatís 1:10^6

I YOU think thatís a significant number then YOU are a hypocrite every time you get out of bed!
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
How many is that in the world? There may be 100 million, 100,000,000, 10^8 TAKATA airbags on the road in the world, how many have died, less than 100. Thatís 1:10^6

I YOU think thatís a significant number then YOU are a hypocrite every time you get out of bed!
The recall began in 2014, the reason there isn't more deaths is due to the recall. It's age that makes them dangerous. Regardless of the probability, how does it make sense to knowingly keep something potentially dangerous in your vehicle that could literally kill your passenger? It's a free recall, you're reasoning makes no logical sense. Do you think the recall is just to scare people?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2019, 05:03 PM
Nuclear engineer

I carry a deadly weapon every day. I tested nuclear reactors. I learned risk calculus first.

The fundamental risk tolerated by everyone is that suffered on arising from bed every day and it is way less than 1:10^6. The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

Just yesterday evening we, friends vacationing with us, watched Dawn Wall and Free Solo movies, and I was able to point out where I had been.

We, old friends, I am the youngest at 70 y.o., spend a couple of hours everyday on vacation riding our high performance HPV trikes in car traffic, just as we have done for a long time, me since I retired in 1995, more than 50,000 bicycling miles ago.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
I carry a deadly weapon every day. I tested nuclear reactors. I learned risk calculus first.

The fundamental risk tolerated by everyone is that suffered on arising from bed every day and it is way less than 1:10^6. The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

Just yesterday evening we, friends vacationing with us, watched Dawn Wall and Free Solo movies, and I was able to point out where I had been.

We, old friends, I am the youngest at 70 y.o., spend a couple of hours everyday on vacation riding our high performance HPV trikes in car traffic, just as we have done for a long time, me since I retired in 1995, more than 50,000 bicycling miles ago.
This will be the last response because obviously this is going to turn into a bickering match of opinions. Hypothetically, if you were aware of a procedure that would reduce / eliminate the risk of injury from a reactor malfunction you oversaw, but you chose to ignore it and do nothing. Who would be at fault if someone were injured or killed? Would you be at all to blame?

Yes, obviously there is a risk with everything I do on a daily basis. That being said if the manufacture of the vehicle i'm driving told me that the airbag that is suppose to protect me could actually harm or even kill me, why would I not want to reduce that risk by replace it? Especially when it is being replaced at no cost to me? There is only a 17% chance of dying playing Russian roulette but why would anyone want to take those odds?
Old 03-17-2019, 09:17 PM

Mein Auto: x5 35d e70 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABoismenu View Post
This will be the last response because obviously this is going to turn into a bickering match of opinions. Hypothetically, if you were aware of a procedure that would reduce / eliminate the risk of injury from a reactor malfunction you oversaw, but you chose to ignore it and do nothing. Who would be at fault if someone were injured or killed? Would you be at all to blame?

Yes, obviously there is a risk with everything I do on a daily basis. That being said if the manufacture of the vehicle i'm driving told me that the airbag that is suppose to protect me could actually harm or even kill me, why would I not want to reduce that risk by replace it? Especially when it is being replaced at no cost to me? There is only a 17% chance of dying playing Russian roulette but why would anyone want to take those odds?
A little nuclear industry horror story.
Part of what messed up fukushima and is still present in other similar ge reactors is exactly that problem.
The sheaths that the rods go into (that slow/stop the neutrons)were originally designed to be pure titanium. Instead somehow they changed the spec to some alloy called zirconium that works but starts an exothermic reaction with water at 1200C. It's also weaker which is why they broke in Fukushima.
Also the rods got so hot that the sheaths started their exothermic reaction, and burned themselves up while creating hydrogen gas which blew the roof off.

Engineers decided on this because it's cheaper supposedly more efficient using the alloy instead of pure Ti and "it'll never happen". Well it did.

Edit: a link describing what happened to the zirconium sheaths but nothing about it being a design flaw, hmmm. I've read stuff by nuclear expert A. Gunderson about how titanium was the original, better spec but I can't find links to that.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...r-power-plant/

Last edited by robnitro; 03-17-2019 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3; 2010 528;2013 X5
Am retired now but in my previous profession (in which I am still certified) one had be aware that anything that might go wrong could go wrong and one did not "take chances" at the expense of others.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenF12400 View Post
Am retired now but in my previous profession (in which I am still certified) one had be aware that anything that might go wrong could go wrong and one did not "take chances" at the expense of others.
Unfortunately that rule of accountability only applies to people, not corporations, these days.
But thanks to the right wing, corporations were given the rights of people without any of the punishments that people can get.
The only reason why some recalls are done is when the cost of recall is less than the cost of law suits.
If it was a person, they would face the death penalty or life in jail. A corp just will throw a single person under the bus as a scapegoat and still continue business as usual...

In the case of the nuclear power industry, they're indemnified... Even for vaccines... Both legal claims go through the government. A handy way to protect them from "mistakes"
Old 03-19-2019, 06:41 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi SDN, 335iCPE, X5
I had mine done a few weeks ago. The job by itself is a few hours to replace the airbag and lock. It's not worth the risk of injury should an accident occur with a front passenger onboard. Liability shifts to the owner! It is many car makers affected by the faulty module not just BMW.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d
Just got two recall letters, one for engine Idler Pulley bolt, and another for passenger air bag. Seems like I just had an air bag replaced, maybe it was the drivers side. PIA. But I will do it, have a hard time facing the woman in my life if I didn't.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:02 AM
Kinda officially welcomed

Mein Auto: E70 LCI 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by scwilsonct2 View Post
I had mine done a few weeks ago. The job by itself is a few hours to replace the airbag and lock. It's not worth the risk of injury should an accident occur with a front passenger onboard. Liability shifts to the owner! It is many car makers affected by the faulty module not just BMW.
Same thing I thought about when it came to the airbag. If something horrible were to happen then whatever the outcome I would get blamed for not having done the recall

E39 528i/5 Sport
E28 535is
E84 X1 35ix M package
E38 740i Sport
E39 M5 LMB/Blk
Old 03-21-2019, 03:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 xDrive 35i Prem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc Dito View Post
E70 getting the airbag and idle bolt recall done today.

Wow...had this done a few weeks ago....this pic made me go out and inspect closely how well they reassembled....everything seems ok surprisingly

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app
Past BMWs:
2014 E84 X1
2008 E70 X5
2006 E53 X5
2003 E39 525i
2001 E46 330ci
2001 E46 325i
Old 03-21-2019, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: 09 X5 35d|05 Subie Legacy
I'm also in Canada and had mine done probably 6 months ago. Dash went back together perfectly, only issue is the back panel of the inside of the glove box popped out occasionally. Nothing a little black tape couldn't fix. I'm picking up my X5 from the dealer today for the idler pulley bolt recall, I've actually really enjoyed the Mini Countryman S I got as a loaner lol.

Wish I could say the same for my other car affected by the same recall, my 2005 Subaru Legacy. Dealer scratched up some trim, and when I went over a bump the next day the whole centre part of my dash fell off. They fixed it for free but man, what a pain.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 xDrive35i Premium
Iím having my Passenger Airbag recall service done along with the OFGH. How long did it take for the airbag replacement? 1 day? 2 days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"If winning isn't important, the why keep score"
Old 03-21-2019, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 09 X5 35d|05 Subie Legacy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey John View Post
Iím having my Passenger Airbag recall service done along with the OFGH. How long did it take for the airbag replacement? 1 day? 2 days?

OFGH?

My airbag recall took 1 day to complete.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluesblues View Post
OFGH?

My airbag recall took 1 day to complete.

Oil Filter Gasket Housing.

Mine is on its second day. Only reason theyíre taking their sweet a$$ time is because I have a loaner.

Never fails which stealership does the work; they stick it to me each time.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
Oil Filter Housing Gasket (OFHG) is what it is. Common source of leak on BMW's for 20 years...

Old 03-21-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
Oil Filter Housing Gasket (OFHG) is what it is. Common source of leak on BMW's for 20 years...

Sorry, got the order wrong

Last edited by Jersey John; 03-21-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:01 PM

When they mess things up, sure they fix it, but what about the time wasted to go through their stupid system where they book jobs tighter than a doctor's office? What pissed me off was to wait 3 hours at freeport BMW fit the steering wheel airbag recall. It was done in the first 45 mins and sat in the lot since. The sa said they're still working on it. I had the dash cam footage and I think next time I go I will tell them to not lie to me again or I'll report them to bmwna.

Wasting our time for their mess ups and all they are liable for is fixing it, and fixing what they mess up again... Pfft,
Old 03-22-2019, 09:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc Dito View Post
E70 getting the airbag and idle bolt recall done today.
I don't think it requires that much work?!
I just got my letter in the mail.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:47 AM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill_X5 View Post
I don't think it requires that much work?!
I just got my letter in the mail.
Read the whole thread
Quote:
I believe that US affected cars have had their recall letters for some time, I have.

I have decided to NOT have my passenger airbag replaced for fear of the damage consequent to the extremely invasive procedure by careless mechanics. Review WWw.NewTIS.info for the procedure.

newTIS.infobeta
Home / BMW E70 X5 xDrive35d SAV / Repair Manuals and Technical Data / 72 Body parts and accessories / 72 12 Gas generators, airbag modules (with steering wheel airbag 3234) / 72 12 000 Removing and installing or replacing airbag module on passenger side

Necessary preliminary tasks: [ ... ] Remove instrument panel trim

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...g-3234/OduEm50

Old 04-17-2019, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i (M-Sport)
just got it done today, no issues so far. car seems even quieter on the bumps. maybe something was loose there before (when I was taking out the phone cradle I found a couple of connectors really just hanging in there so maybe this also a case in my dash).
The car was there for the whole day. One thing I noticed is my steering wheel is a tiny tiny bit off (not sure if they put it wrong, if they did it will be probably way more noticeable). I will drive more and check. Otherwise I am happy, don't want to risk my kids lives not to having it done (even it is a very small chance).
I met the dealer trim guy and showed all my custom wiring, etc before they start working on the car.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:56 AM

Mein Auto: 09 X5d - 06 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsnake2000 View Post
just got it done today, no issues so far. car seems even quieter on the bumps. maybe something was loose there before (when I was taking out the phone cradle I found a couple of connectors really just hanging in there so maybe this also a case in my dash).
The car was there for the whole day. One thing I noticed is my steering wheel is a tiny tiny bit off (not sure if they put it wrong, if they did it will be probably way more noticeable). I will drive more and check. Otherwise I am happy, don't want to risk my kids lives not to having it done (even it is a very small chance).
I met the dealer trim guy and showed all my custom wiring, etc before they start working on the car.
If the E70 is the same as the E90, there is only one position for the steering wheel on the shaft.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5 3.0si
I just swapped my wheel from standard to sport and you can put it in any position but there is a hash mark on the shaft and wheel which, when aligned, should be dead-center. Maybe they are off a tooth or two?
Old 04-18-2019, 07:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i (M-Sport)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpoitras View Post
I just swapped my wheel from standard to sport and you can put it in any position but there is a hash mark on the shaft and wheel which, when aligned, should be dead-center. Maybe they are off a tooth or two?
yeah, probably.. I will take the airbag out and check.. do I have to unplug the battery or this is not really necessary?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search