M550i Throttle Response - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)

G30 (2017 - Current)
The next generation 5 Series, chassis code G30, arrives at dealers in February 2017. Looking like a scaled down 7 Series and riding on the CLAR platform, the new 5 Series will have a focus on lightweight and sporty performance. Engines options will come from BMW's new B family for the 530 and 540 and a turbocharged V8 for the M550i. Read more about the 2017 5 Series

Old 06-07-2019, 09:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 14 328d wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquared View Post
when i was debating 530 vs 540 one of the things that pushed me to the 530 was it has less lag than the 540
+1

Old 06-07-2019, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto: M550ix
I tried reproducing this condition today. My M550 certainly has no noticeable lag. A tap of the throttle gets my car moving off the line briskly. If anything, I have to be careful not to over do it in traffic. The car really can accelerate to the point it pushes you back in your seat. I was using individual sport mode where only steering and damping were affected. I tried
accelerating slowly, quickly, and using the paddles. In every day traffic there is nothing but an abundance of torque at your disposal.

When using the paddles, a shift of the gears is met with a hard, almost bang type shift into the next gear as the tach moves down and then gets moving upward again. Keeping revs at 2,500 rpm creates a condition where you can launch the car forward almost at an alarming rate of change.

I tried a simple hard acceleration from a stop light and found that the car, predictably, will not spin it's tires. It does "build" to a crescendo but I would not call that a perceptible lag. You can spin the tires slightly if you go into launch mode with the appropriate adjustment and are not deliberate when you depress the throttle. You have to press ALL the way down on the throttle quickly to engage launch mode. Then look out when you let it go. Recommend you follow instructions on this and do this in a safe environment with nothing around.

So maybe it's elevation, humidity, fuel type or perhaps how the car is driven. My car sees a reasonable amount of highway miles at relatively high speeds. Where I live, highway traffic generally moves at an average speed at least 25 km above the posted limit.

It's too bad you have this condition so noticeable. But I would say that it may require some good diagnostics by the dealer. My car certainly doesn't behave the way you describe.

Last edited by PeterC4; 06-08-2019 at 01:52 AM.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:07 AM

I notice the lag most when coming off the brakes.

Old 06-10-2019, 04:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 540ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santorini Blue View Post
Yes, that's when it happens.

Current BMW

2017 BMW 540ix
Dark Graphite Metallic/Ivory
Prior BMWs
2014 BMW 535ix
Imperial Blue/Beige interior
2011 528i
Cashmere Silver/Black Dakota
2001 530i Sport (deceased)
Cosmos Black
Other
2018 Subaru Legacy 3.6R
1977 Corvette 383 Stroker
Old 06-10-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santorini Blue View Post
Do you mean that after applying the brake peddle and then you re-engage the gas peddle (throttle) you get a lag?
Old 06-10-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterC4 View Post
Do you mean that after applying the brake peddle and then you re-engage the gas peddle (throttle) you get a lag?
correct
terrible on my '11 528i but not as bad in our '15 740i
Better in the g30, but still there

Last edited by Santorini Blue; 06-10-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto:
For those of you who haven't noticed this, I am truly happy for you. For the rest of us, it is anywhere from annoying to somewhat dangerous. On my 2018 M550ix it is definitely present and can be worse depending on conditions that BMW doesn't seem to be able to get a handle on. The transmission seems to be joining in the issue as well. When you begin to pull away from a stop light, a car in front of you may not permit you to accelerate "briskly". This keeps you in a light throttle condition and that first bit of pedal travel is scary unresponsive. On a recent trip to Phoenix in hot weather the transmission joined it with really agonizing acceleration antics. Very similar to "lugging" a manual transmission car when you should either put the clutch in and take it out of gear or accelerate. I will be taking my car in for the fourth time next week and this will be on the list of items to get into. I am here looking to see if I am crazy or if anyone else has noticed these problems. Unfortunately, this is minor compared to the other problems. Just signed up and looking for some backup. I still love this car but it is far from perfection.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 M550i xDrive
No issues on throttle response on my 18 550. Very linear, even in comfort mode.
I also ride a motorcycle. I currently have an 18 BMW R1200RS. I'm acutely aware of throttle response, as I have had several ride by wire motorcycles that did just what you are describing. No issues with the R1200RS.

2018 550i xDrive | Carbon Black/Black Nappa | Leather Dash | Anthracite Alcantara | Piano Finish Black | Luxury Seating | B&W | DAP & DAP+ | Executive Package | Cold Weather | Digital Cluster | BMWCCA | Motorcycle: 2018 BMW R1200RS | Light Grey Metallic/Black | Red Frame
Old 09-03-2019, 05:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 M550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1600GT View Post
No issues on throttle response on my 18 550. Very linear, even in comfort mode.
I also ride a motorcycle. I currently have an 18 BMW R1200RS. I'm acutely aware of throttle response, as I have had several ride by wire motorcycles that did just what you are describing. No issues with the R1200RS.
Yeah, I've posted here before and I don't have any issues either.

This thread aggravates me. I mean, there's someone earlier who said they actually preferred a four cylinder car to a six cylinder car because they thought the acceleration was better.

I mean, do they think BMW doesn't test their cars? Like for hundreds and thousands of hours? And put them through millions of runs of simulations?

I mean, even car journalists don't even really complain about "throttle tip-in"... and these are the hacks that can't write a three paragraph article about BMWs without saying something like "BMW just doesn't build cars for enthusiasts like they used to," and "BMW steering used to be so much better."

I think people need to take some time to learn their machines' inputs and calibrate their expectations.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto:
There's never been a perfect car, there never will be. I really don't want to start any tit for tat here and I respect your opinion and, as I posted, I am very happy for everyone who has trouble free cars. I have had BMW's that have been trouble free. Regardless of testing by BMW, mine isn't. I also just had mine undergo the campaign for the oil leak that the V8 of the M550i has. Funny how after all those thousands of hours of testing, BMW couldn't get an engine that has been in production for quite some time in my hands that wouldn't drop oil under itself in my garage. As for the throttle "tip in" issue, it is something that you have to learn to live with. The biggest reason IMO is because I fear the technicians may be getting to the point of diagnosing and correcting faults that are pointed out by onboard codes. If there aren't any, the first step is to update software and give the car back. After that, I don't know. I'll find out tomorrow. If there is a hardware problem that is not easily revealed, it may just be a flow chart telling them which modules to start replacing. This is not a knock on BMW. Just the reality of the complexity of these vehicles. And it we don't mention the faults, they never get corrected. I just am not crazy for paying for the privilege of being a beta site.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto:
definitely feel something weird with my 2019 M550i at times.

I can be in 1st gear, 20 mph, and mash the pedal and get 2 different responses. Sometimes it just delays and doesn't really seem to go as fast until it shifts to the next gear, while other times it pins me back to the seat and pulls hard in 1st. A few guys I've spoken with the same car have said the same thing...not sure what the issue is...
Old 09-03-2019, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto:
Not sure what mode you are in but it is easy to catch either the engine or the transmission asleep in "comfort" mode. "Sport" mode is entertaining but can be a bit tiring if used constantly. I've found that in comfort mode, it is a lot easier to catch the tranny asleep than that marvelous engine. My workaround is to flip the gear lever to the left. Don't put it in manual mode, this puts it in the auto shift sport mode. You can see what gear you are in and get much crisper up and down shifts. Of course, I still believe my car has another problem that is an actual fault similar to what you describe but this might help you out. I'll let you know what turns up after my service tomorrow but it could take a while. This is one of the issues on the list.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 M550i
After further thought, I feel compelled to come on here and say I'm sorry if my post was blaming or aggravating or anything like that. That wasn't my intent. Just wanted to say that I've figured out how to drive my 550 such that i can be rediculously aggressive whenever I want to, and have never experienced the tip-in issue. Since I seriously doubt there's inter-car differences, it's most reasonably attributed to either how the driver is using the car, or the settings the car is in. Maybe this whole thread is a compliment to the BMW G30, in that it does so many things so well that we are disappointed when it's not all things at the merest whim of the driver.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: G30 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moewron View Post
Yeah, I've posted here before and I don't have any issues either.

This thread aggravates me. I mean, there's someone earlier who said they actually preferred a four cylinder car to a six cylinder car because they thought the acceleration was better.

I mean, do they think BMW doesn't test their cars? Like for hundreds and thousands of hours? And put them through millions of runs of simulations?
What I wrote was that better throttle response on the 4 cylinder was one of the reasons I went with the 4 over the 6, not that the acceleration is better (obviously its not). The other reason is that I live in LA and my average speed during my commute is 14mph, so going with a 540 or 550 was not worth the added initial cost and increased fuel consumption for my beater which is what I consider the G30 to be.

The 6 cylinder is unquestionably better in most respects, but throttle response is quicker and more natural in the 530i than the 540i, and its still not great at that. The M5 and M5 competition are the only ones in the 5 series lineup I've driven which don't have the delayed throttle response.

Obviously BMW tests their cars, but this could very well be by design to make start off smoother for your average driver. BMW has been watering down their products for a while now, in interviews even stating that they could improve the steering feel of the EPS systems, but they're targeting customers who prefer more isolation so they've kept the steering numb and lifeless. Even if it wasn't by design, BMW still makes mistakes. The early A/C issues with the G30 lineup and the problems with the active shutters despite all their testing are perfect examples of flaws getting through their testing process.

Last edited by ssquared; 09-05-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:05 PM

Mein Auto:
We all know how the internet works and especially auto brand specific boards. The good and the bad. I don't think there is any benefit in my posting other issues I have with my car as I think they are only occurring on my car. No sense painting the M550, G30, 5 series, or BMW with an unreliable tag. Or starting some juvenile flame war. Been there, done that. To repeat, there has never been a perfect car and there never will be. I still love the 2018 M550iX. But I had a long drive with the service manager yesterday. Fortunately several of the issues I have did repeat. The throttle issue did not. When we got back, he vouched for the ones that repeated and noted the ones that did not. Now, does BMW believe me that the issue exists on my car? Who knows? Is it better on a 540 or 530? Wouldn't surprise me at all. I have a 530e loaner and I can vouch for the fact that the throttle response on it is an entirely different animal and it goes from jackrabbit to coma. It would definitely taking some getting used to and learning the car. I am also not going to post some of the frank discussions I had with the various people at the dealership. I hope they can sort my car out. By the way, my first 4 BMWs in the 1980s were all more "intimate" and "involving" in the driving experience than this car. The handling, throttle response, and braking were almost telepathic. All of them had to be towed back to the dealership within two weeks of being delivered to me. Sometimes the good old days aren't as good as you think they were. I can also tell you that the 1969 L88 Corvette was an absolute beast. You could also overdrive the brakes backing out of the driveway.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquared View Post
Same issue on my 530i.

When I was debating 530 vs 540 one of the things that pushed me to the 530 was it has less lag than the 540 but it still bothers me. It's less of an issue in sport mode but still there just less

Nothing beats the cable controlled throttle on my e36 m3. It's far more natural feeling than the G30 throttle response
Funny I found this thread...I noticed the same thing with my 530. There's no movement (with the car) for the initial 1" or so of the pedal..then the car takes off.
I thought maybe it's just the lack of power with the turbo 4 but I guess it's by design.
There's definitely a low/no response for the initial throttle input.

I will just need to adjust my driving habits to match.

Last edited by Soundmaster; 09-05-2019 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:20 PM
Go Tigers!

Mein Auto: '19 540i
Throttle response on the G30 is definitely adapted dependent on driving and shift mode but I wish it didn't adapt at all. In any of them it is designed for a more smooth response.

My baseline for drive-by-wire throttle response is my old E90 M3 that had a hair-trigger throttle with no apparent adaptation. The engine was absolutely controllable with the slightest movement of the throttle pedal and at times I thought it was too sensitive. But it was appropriate for that car as it had a completely different purpose in life than the F30 340i and 540i I've owned since.

The F30 340i M sport had a less sensative throttle than the M3, but was more responsive in sport mode than comfort. Shift lever position made no difference because it was a 6 speed manual. I usually found the throttle response very good, and any lag I attributed to the turbos. In hindsight, the throttle response was better than in the G30 with the same engine.

The G30 540i has different throttle response for different drive and shift modes. It is least responsive in Eco mode (quite dull and potentially dangerous), most response in Sport Plus with the shifting in S mode. While Sport Individual allows some tailoring to your preference, I really wish there was coding to make it more sensitive (like my F30, not the M3) and remove the adaptation altogether. I've done the prescribed throttle reset but it always seems to end up back in the same place after a few days.

Bluegrass Bimmers
2019 G30 540i M Sport - Mediterranean Blue/Mocha Nappa (mine)

2018 G01 X3 xDrive30i (hers)
2017 F30 340i M Sport/6MT - Tanzanite Blue/Saddle Brown (sold)
2013 E70 X5 3.5xdrive (sold)
2011 E90 M3 6MT (sold)
2005 E46 330i ZHP 6MT (sold)
2001 E53 X5 3.0 PP/auto (sold)
2000 E39 528i Sport/PP/5MT (sold)
1998 E39 528iA Premium (sold)
1997 E38 740i (sold)
1993 E36 318is (sold)
Old 09-05-2019, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto:
I can't quote chapter and verse on any of the other current models other than the M240i and 340i that are used at the BMW Performance Driving School in California. Completed the driver course in July and there was absolutely no hesitation in throttle response in either one of those models. I had my M550iX with me so I was able to move from one to the other in quick succession. For whatever reason, the big V8 can get a bit hesitant to wake up. Not a bit problem but it is annoying when you try to leave smoothly from stoplights. I don't need to prove mine is bigger than theirs at every stoplight. Just want to leave with everyone else. This is neither comfortable nor luxurious. Glad to find out I am not crazy. Just the car.
Old Yesterday, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docron View Post
I can't quote chapter and verse on any of the other current models other than the M240i and 340i that are used at the BMW Performance Driving School in California. Completed the driver course in July and there was absolutely no hesitation in throttle response in either one of those models. I had my M550iX with me so I was able to move from one to the other in quick succession. For whatever reason, the big V8 can get a bit hesitant to wake up. Not a bit problem but it is annoying when you try to leave smoothly from stoplights. I don't need to prove mine is bigger than theirs at every stoplight. Just want to leave with everyone else. This is neither comfortable nor luxurious. Glad to find out I am not crazy. Just the car.
Maybe the condition is affected by climate or fuel. I don't seem to be able to re-create this issue here in the Great White North. Maybe I don't notice. There are so many modes you would think one of them would alleviate the problem: Comfort Mode, Sport Mode with comfort acceleration, but Sport Shift engaged. Sport Shift engaged with Comfort Mode. Sport Shift engaged in Sport Mode. Sport Mode, no Sport Shift. Sport Plus Mode with no Sport Shift, or with Sport Shift. Sport Plus Mode, Launch Control engaged. All Modes with manual Shift Paddles engaged. Man, that's a lot of combinations!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)
Today's Posts Search