Rear Camber Tire Wear: Alignment or Refresh? - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 07-17-2019, 03:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Wait, so one tire was toed OUT 0.61?!?!

Was that on the destroyed tire?

Surprisingly it was the opposite tire on the back. Guy came and asked if I hit something back there. I wondered if that could have been affecting the side that was destroyed. Still not sure if the bad tire was ever truly compromised before the damage. Iíll never know. Shop will make good on my requests but as you have stated they have reasons they state they donít like tow-in as minimal as .01-.02. They will still set it to what I request and it looks like they missed a note for my request and pulled it off the lift before checking with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2019, 03:40 PM

ard, Iíll refer to your sheets in your signature thread but Iím happy to hear a concise recommendation for improving this spec sheet I received. Next time I need to go without kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 07-17-2019, 04:42 PM
BMW CCA 69606

Mein Auto: '15 435i '10 535i '08 X5
Quote:
Wait, so one tire was toed OUT 0.61?!?!

Was that on the destroyed tire?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyUnicornTaco View Post
.....Surprisingly it was the opposite tire on the back.......]
That wear pattern is classic excessive toe. How many miles have you put on the truck? Any chance someone rotated the rear tires right-to-left to try and get a little more life from the tires?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2019, 04:58 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Last night I was going to post that it might not be so obvious as to which wheel would be the worst re: toe.

Keep in mind that the wear on any ONE tire is due to its aligment AND the alignment of the other 3 tires. You can have 3 tires 'driving' one to ruin.

In this case, the toe'd out wheel was 'pulling' it's axle-mate across the road. Think about it, the 'bad' tire was creating a load on the tread that was '
Pulling' rubber from the center of the tire out to the edge. BUT....the other tire was pulling the sidewall down and under. Chewing that wall up.

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 07-17-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshovest View Post
That wear pattern is classic excessive toe. How many miles have you put on the truck? Any chance someone rotated the rear tires right-to-left to try and get a little more life from the tires?

Iím close to 159,000 now. Iíve put on half of them. Back tires were never swapped side to side.

Old 07-17-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Last night I was going to post that it might not be so obvious as to which wheel would be the worst re: toe.

Keep in mind that the wear on any ONE tire is due to its aligment AND the alignment of the other 3 tires. You can have 3 tires 'driving' one to ruin.

In this case, the toe'd out wheel was 'pulling' it's axle-mate across the road. Think about it, the 'bad' tire was creating a load on the tread that was '
Pulling' rubber from the center of the tire out to the edge. BUT....the other tire was pulling the sidewall down and under. Chewing that wall up.
Makes sense to me. Similar to my first thought when he came out and asked if I hit something. Looks like they got it within the BS BMW specs but stopped at .1-.2 instead of the .01-.02 obviously. More camber needed up front as well to handle the turns of the diving V8 on turns?
Old 07-17-2019, 05:54 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

The front seems to be close to the limit on camber. Be nice if they can move one to match. With the big V8 I like more pressure in the tires up front. Seems to counter the trend for the tread to roll, and kill the edges. (I don't go with placard numbers, just what works for me and the way I drive. (Like our tow rig, I will air up when we will be towing the gooseneck- then back down for just regular stuff.). Same w the X5. I never haul weight in the back, so they usual few psi they call for in the rear I ignore- since I am sure, pressures are usually square. But again, over 120k miles, this works for me, my roads, my tires, my loads.)

Typical front engine BMW wear is inner edge rear, outer edge fronts. You have more camber than most, it should counter that tendency.

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

Old 07-17-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
The front seems to be close to the limit on camber. Be nice if they can move one to match. With the big V8 I like more pressure in the tires up front. Seems to counter the trend for the tread to roll, and kill the edges. (I don't go with placard numbers, just what works for me and the way I drive. (Like our tow rig, I will air up when we will be towing the gooseneck- then back down for just regular stuff.). Same w the X5. I never haul weight in the back, so they usual few psi they call for in the rear I ignore- since I am sure, pressures are usually square. But again, over 120k miles, this works for me, my roads, my tires, my loads.)

Typical front engine BMW wear is inner edge rear, outer edge fronts. You have more camber than most, it should counter that tendency.
Thanks. So your reference of being "horrific" after numbers was related to the toe-in being .1 and .2 rather than .01 and .02? I bet there are a bunch of guys on here that would love to hold up an iPhone and let you FaceTime the mechanics.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:13 PM

The left and right front camber ended up being -.58 and -.51. Enough of a difference to push it being equal?
Old 07-17-2019, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 x5 4.4L
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
No, I meant how to adjust it. Curious to see how much it can move. Thanks Doug for the link.
just did my 05 x5...the rear eccentric bolts allowed for approx. 1.0 degree range. I had no rear camber wear but the camber view from the back seemed to negative. both sides were a degree out but both adjusted in spec. the spec is -1.9 which is probably a degree more than most cars I see. The view from the rear still seems excessive...the vehicle sure can handle in the turns.

on independent suspension...any drop in ride height will produce more negative camber and more negative toe readings. coil spring sag is normal after 3+years...I would think a fully automated air spring would maintain the ride height. a good shop should check all suspension components as part of a pre-alignment inspection.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
The left and right front camber ended up being -.58 and -.51. Enough of a difference to push it being equal?
before or after reading? what was the rear toe reading...post the alignment printout.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primem View Post
before or after reading? what was the rear toe reading...post the alignment printout.
Check out post 43 and 45.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
I hit a massive pothole wit the two right side tires. Actually, the city dug a hole in the street to fix a water pipe and just filled it in with clay. So, unlike a gradually growing pothole, it was not there one day and there the next. I found it driving home on a rainy night. The two right wheels were knocked out of alignment. But, like B.U.T., I had excessive tire wear on both left tires, more so on the left front.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:29 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thanks. So your reference of being "horrific" after numbers was related to the toe-in being .1 and .2 rather than .01 and .02? I bet there are a bunch of guys on here that would love to hold up an iPhone and let you FaceTime the mechanics.
lol

Ive tried to kinda teach people how to fish...in other words not just 'use this spec'...but also why, what it does...what BMW allows..etc etc. So they can have a conversation with the tech and not give up when they push back and just go with what they say

Quote:
Ah, was wondering what the handwriting was. Those are fine, quite close

Old 07-18-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Check out post 43 and 45.
toe was probably the issue. toe is the biggest tire wear angle. toe wear initially will look featheredged but will smooth out and look like camber wear as the tire has enough time scrubbing.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:04 PM

Revisiting my thread. I have put on a quick 4,000-5,000 miles since my alignment was completed and then corrected even more. I suspect some suspension replacement parts are needed in the rear as my rear tires are nearly bald. Granted they are run flats but I went from very acceptable tread to almost none during this time. Most of these miles were driven at 75-85mph on I-95 so I suspect some left and right play in the rear suspension. Now itís time for 4 tires, brakes, and rotors all around.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Revisiting my thread. I have put on a quick 4,000-5,000 miles since my alignment was completed and then corrected even more. I suspect some suspension replacement parts are needed in the rear as my rear tires are nearly bald. Granted they are run flats but I went from very acceptable tread to almost none during this time. Most of these miles were driven at 75-85mph on I-95 so I suspect some left and right play in the rear suspension. Now itís time for 4 tires, brakes, and rotors all around.

the final toe numbers from your printout are in spec but are 2x the ideal setting for both front and rear. this needs to be addressed.

before its aligned...the pre alignment check should be done to check for worn parts...makes no sense to perform alignment adjustments with worn parts.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
the final toe numbers from your printout are in spec but are 2x the ideal setting for both front and rear. this needs to be addressed.

before its aligned...the pre alignment check should be done to check for worn parts...makes no sense to perform alignment adjustments with worn parts.

On my trip I noticed some vibration at 76-81mph. The only vibration I experience. Iím guessing that this vibration at the high speed is probably more likely to be related to a suspension part rather than the toe specs. Probably easily corrected in the rear. By visual inspection I probably went from 5mm to 1mm tread in the rear in 4,000 miles. Even wear.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: 535i, X5, 911
Quote:

Lower rear ball joints. If you haven't replaced them, do so.

You can't inspect and determine if they are worn. You can only diagnose through the wear pattern, which is to eat the inner corner of each side, probably one worse than the other.

If the car is 150k and they haven't been done, they are past due.

Limiters limiting the fun
Old 09-05-2019, 08:36 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Passenger side seems to get beat up more....

Old 09-06-2019, 12:12 AM

Mein Auto: X5 e70 4.8
Quote:
On my trip I noticed some vibration at 76-81mph. The only vibration I experience. Iím guessing that this vibration at the high speed is probably more likely to be related to a suspension part rather than the toe specs. Probably easily corrected in the rear. By visual inspection I probably went from 5mm to 1mm tread in the rear in 4,000 miles. Even wear.

Worn tyres can vibrate and humm too. This is a case for the vibration analysis app.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2019, 04:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i M-Sport
More like bad alignment combined with under inflated tire.

Every 6 months get the wheels aligned. Check tire pressures every month. Could save your life. I have have seen tire blow out on a SUV on an interstate and luckily the car veered onto the grassy median. If it was a wall. then KAPUT.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary214 View Post
More like bad alignment combined with under inflated tire.

Every 6 months get the wheels aligned. Check tire pressures every month. Could save your life. I have have seen tire blow out on a SUV on an interstate and luckily the car veered onto the grassy median. If it was a wall. then KAPUT.

I wonít be getting an alignment every 6 months. Maybe every year or two or if I hit something big. My pressures are good. I check them much more often these days, every few weeks. I was checking the manufacture dates on some of my tires. The two tears are 7 years old. Maybe that has to do with the accelerated wear. Either way, good excuse to switch to non run-flats.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:

post the pics of your treadwear pattern.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
post the pics of your treadwear pattern.

Both rear tires. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1311.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	863665Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1312.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	863667

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search