I love my BMW but why can't they EVER get the tech right? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)

G30 (2017 - Current)
The next generation 5 Series, chassis code G30, arrives at dealers in February 2017. Looking like a scaled down 7 Series and riding on the CLAR platform, the new 5 Series will have a focus on lightweight and sporty performance. Engines options will come from BMW's new B family for the 530 and 540 and a turbocharged V8 for the M550i. Read more about the 2017 5 Series

Old 07-16-2019, 05:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2019 540iX
I love my BMW but why can't they EVER get the tech right?

This is probably my 10th BMW and not a single one of them has had tech that worked properly. And I've had as many Audis with almost ZERO tech issues.

For instance, I start the car, and the screen should go back to exactly where I left it, usually on my presets. Nope, almost never. and for some reason, no matter what screen it's on, after a minute or so, the car asks me to start the navigation to go somewhere, idiotic.

And, as with my other BMWs, I lose the bluetooth quite often. I'll be talking and it just goes silent - phone is still connected to my party but no longer connected to the car. I have to hang up, disconnect the phone from bluetooth, delete the phone and reinstall. Ridiculous

and then there's no way to program one of the one touch buttons for apple car play, which is really a pain to get into, there should be an easier way.

Oh, and losing my radio presets every once in awhile is real fun to reset. Always a joy.

FWIW, the car has been updated to the newest iDrive software and my batteries are fully charged, had all that checked out. Oh, and there's the wonky foot trunk opener, doesn't always work.

Then there's the engine and tranny which are bulletproof and awesome! I love the drive the car, just so tired of all the gremlins that BMW has never been able to get rid of. And yeah, I know someone is going to disagree with me, which is fine or tell me if I'm not happy go get a different car. That isn't the issue. Love it but the ****ty tech is getting a bit long in the tooth. Rant over...
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2019, 06:29 PM

Mein Auto: audi a4
show me tech that works 100% of the time? our planes were falling out of the sky because of shady software coding.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535iX M Sport
Name one of anything, cars or whatever that gets it all right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2019, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 535d
Do Audi equivalents to iDrive work better? Have as many features? I've not tried them since having an early Audi where everything, literally every system, broke except for the VDO clock. Great driving cars, but as reliable as VW's.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:18 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2018 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLF750 View Post
This is probably my 10th BMW and not a single one of them has had tech that worked properly. And I've had as many Audis with almost ZERO tech issues.
Well, maybe some bad luck. Let's see, I've owned 5 BMW's since 2005, no tech issue to speak of. As far as tech in general, big increase since what, 2009 or so? My '05 and '08 3's only had Bluetooth for the phone, no nav.

Quote:
For instance, I start the car, and the screen should go back to exactly where I left it, usually on my presets. Nope, almost never. and for some reason, no matter what screen it's on, after a minute or so, the car asks me to start the navigation to go somewhere, idiotic.
People have reported this type of issue may be caused due to an active navigation app on your phone. Check that and disable it, or cancel a destination set on your phone. Have never seen this problem

Quote:
And, as with my other BMWs, I lose the bluetooth quite often. I'll be talking and it just goes silent - phone is still connected to my party but no longer connected to the car. I have to hang up, disconnect the phone from bluetooth, delete the phone and reinstall. Ridiculous
BT has never dropped in any of my BMW's.

Quote:
[Oh, and losing my radio presets every once in awhile is real fun to reset. Always a joy.

FWIW, the car has been updated to the newest iDrive software and my batteries are fully charged, had all that checked out. Oh, and there's the wonky foot trunk opener, doesn't always work.
Never ever lost presets on any of my BMW's. For the foot trunk opener, I suggest you are doing it incorrectly if you can't consistently open it. Just a casual, brief swing motion under the bumper will do it every time - don't overthink it.

Current: 2018 540i MSport | Med Blue/Cognac| MSport Brakes | Multi-Contour | HK | ZLP
Prior: 2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather
Old 07-17-2019, 04:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 540ix
I agree that Bluetooth audio connectivity is marginal at best and downright flakey at times. For some reason BMW has had problems with this for years. Recently, I have a problem with the volume on Bluetooth. I have to crank it up to hear it and when I switch back to radio I get a blast. Volume is set to max on the phone already. I've reverted to USB but that is less convenient and forces use of the badly placed USB port in the phone tray. No idea why BMW has a problem with this particular bit of tech as it's neither new nor difficult to implement. I agree that the trunk opener is quirky but at least it's consistent. It just wants you to do things its way and if you don't it won't respond. And don't get me going on the hilariously unpredictable two key seat memory. I've given up trying to figure out what's going on with that. Other than that, the car is pretty much perfect.

Current BMW

2017 BMW 540ix
Dark Graphite Metallic/Ivory
Prior BMWs
2014 BMW 535ix
Imperial Blue/Beige interior
2011 528i
Cashmere Silver/Black Dakota
2001 530i Sport (deceased)
Cosmos Black
Other
2018 Subaru Legacy 3.6R
1977 Corvette 383 Stroker
Old 07-17-2019, 04:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 BMW 530xi M-Sport
I think BMW has the best tech and on our 18 X5 and my 17 530 have not had any serious issues. I am always amazed at how good and far BMW's tech has come. Leaps better than Mercedes and also better than Audi. Plus - who else has wireless Carplay?

Last edited by DBV; 07-17-2019 at 04:39 AM.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:51 AM

I have Carplay, don't like it other than Waze and spotify. makes you have your text messages read to you, pretty annoying but I understand why.

Audi is much much more reliable in terms of tech, hand down. BMW is much more fun to drive. But I knew what I was getting into when I got another one, just wish they could finally work out the bugs - and it's generally the same bugs regardless of the model - happened in my earlier 535, both 750s, etc. Oh well, still fun. Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:36 AM

Mein Auto: See Sig
I've only had one of those problems and I figured out what caused it and stopped it. If the nav is trying to put you on a route, it's because you have one loaded on your connected app still. Go to the app and kill the route.
Previous BMW: 2012 550 M-Sport
Old 07-17-2019, 07:51 AM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2017 540xi
I've never had any of the problems you mentioned, the tech has been fine for me.

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011
2013 X3 35i, Old Fashioned Dealer Delivery, July 2012
2014 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2014

BMWCCA #350568
Old 07-17-2019, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Well, maybe some bad luck. Let's see, I've owned 5 BMW's since 2005, no tech issue to speak of. As far as tech in general, big increase since what, 2009 or so? My '05 and '08 3's only had Bluetooth for the phone, no nav.

People have reported this type of issue may be caused due to an active navigation app on your phone. Check that and disable it, or cancel a destination set on your phone. Have never seen this problem

BT has never dropped in any of my BMW's.

Never ever lost presets on any of my BMW's. For the foot trunk opener, I suggest you are doing it incorrectly if you can't consistently open it. Just a casual, brief swing motion under the bumper will do it every time - don't overthink it.
My experiences are similar. My car has started up asking if I want to start navigation which is a minor annoyance. I use bluetooth a lot for business calls and I have never lost one.

I have not lost my presets. When I start the car sometimes the audio comes up with the presets and sometimes, for a reason I can't discern, it will go back to all stations. A minor annoyance, again, but it is easy enough to get to the presets (mic button; presets).
Old 07-17-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
I've only had one of those problems and I figured out what caused it and stopped it. If the nav is trying to put you on a route, it's because you have one loaded on your connected app still. Go to the app and kill the route.
Good idea but I never use the connected app for NAV routes, etc. Just to ventilate the car, which works pretty good when the app isn't wonky. Usually an uninstall/reinstall fixes it.

And yes, BT went out again today... oh well...
Old 07-17-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
My experiences are similar. My car has started up asking if I want to start navigation which is a minor annoyance. I use bluetooth a lot for business calls and I have never lost one.

I have not lost my presets. When I start the car sometimes the audio comes up with the presets and sometimes, for a reason I can't discern, it will go back to all stations. A minor annoyance, again, but it is easy enough to get to the presets (mic button; presets).
yep, I finally programmed one of the one-touch buttons for presets. They are somewhat minor annoyances, other than dropped BT, but the fact that it seems consistent with BMW gets aggravating. Won't stop me from buying another obviously
Old 07-17-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Good idea but I never use the connected app for NAV routes, etc. Just to ventilate the car, which works pretty good when the app isn't wonky. Usually an uninstall/reinstall fixes it.

And yes, BT went out again today... oh well...
Check it just to be sure there is not one hung up in there. I don't think I ever used mine for that either, but it happened to me.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:04 AM

Mein Auto: G30 530e M-Sport
Quote:
It is the app causing this. To permanently disable this feature, in the App, go to More > Settings > Auto Start Navigation and turn it off. But actually, for me this works fine and I love it. It looks in your calendar and tries to work out where you're going. But it's easily turned off.

Quote:
Has literally never happened to me. Are you using Bluetooth or CarPlay though?

Quote:
and then there's no way to program one of the one touch buttons for apple car play, which is really a pain to get into, there should be an easier way.
Again, I've never had this problem. For me CarPlay is always available. It connects automatically and I can switch straight to it either by touching the CarPlay icon on the touchscreen or pressing the Media button on the iDrive controller.

Quote:
Oh, and losing my radio presets every once in awhile is real fun to reset. Always a joy.
This has never happened to me. I genuinely have not had to reset my radio presets in 17 years of BMW ownership, even after software updates etc.

Quote:
Love it but the ****ty tech is getting a bit long in the tooth.
You should try some other cars if you think BMW's tech is long in the tooth. The tech on even an F10 is better than all the other manufacturers apart from Audi's current iterations!
Old 07-18-2019, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelup View Post
It is the app causing this. To permanently disable this feature, in the App, go to More > Settings > Auto Start Navigation and turn it off. But actually, for me this works fine and I love it. It looks in your calendar and tries to work out where you're going. But it's easily turned off.

Has literally never happened to me. Are you using Bluetooth or CarPlay though?

Again, I've never had this problem. For me CarPlay is always available. It connects automatically and I can switch straight to it either by touching the CarPlay icon on the touchscreen or pressing the Media button on the iDrive controller.

This has never happened to me. I genuinely have not had to reset my radio presets in 17 years of BMW ownership, even after software updates etc.

You should try some other cars if you think BMW's tech is long in the tooth. The tech on even an F10 is better than all the other manufacturers apart from Audi's current iterations!
Not to sound dim, but where exactly is this carplay icon on the touchscreen? I have to scroll over to my car, or whatever it's called, then go into the phone area, I think, and then get to carplay, it takes a few commands to get there. if there's an easier way, great! You've been lucky as hell! My BMWs are always glitchy. Maybe they just hate me oh, and I forgot, sometimes when I'm making a call, I get a LOUD crack sound, like if a rock hit the windshield, scares the crap out of me! Happens more often than i like but not constantly by any means - could be an iphone issue though
Old 07-18-2019, 05:47 AM

Mein Auto: G30 530e M-Sport
On the main screen at the left hand side, if CarPlay is available, you'll see the icon. You can just tap there. But even easier is to just press 'Media' on the iDrive controller. That also takes you straight there.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:49 AM

that's what i keep hearing! but for some reason, i never have that icon on the main screen, only if I already have carplay enabled will it show up. That's the pain in the butt I'm talking about. maybe my phone isn't set up correctly? obviously I don't have it in carplay mode when I'm not using it so I don't know of anything else I'm doing incorrectly... and I've had the idrive updated recently so it's current, not that that should matter. Thanks though!
Old 07-18-2019, 05:54 AM

This is part of what I'm complaining about. The phone shouldn't have to be deleted and added again. It makes no sense. Phone is connected properly. As you said, there should just be a carplay button or icon to press that's easily located without scrolling through screens to get to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B0B1A0BA-2871-4768-B2A0-129A74F98BCA_1563454416381.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	858443  

Last edited by DLF750; 07-18-2019 at 05:58 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
This is part of what I'm complaining about. The phone shouldn't have to be deleted and added again. It makes no sense. Phone is connected properly. As you said, there should just be a carplay button or icon to press that's easily located without scrolling through screens to get to it.
I am technically challenged [/understatement] and had a similar problem. But I eventually figured out how to switch between the two very easily. I honestly don't know what I did because I quickly decided I didn't like CarPlay. But I watched every video I could find and finally figured it out.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:03 PM

well, once again, lost the bluetooth for the damn phone! As I said before, I love the car, love it! but the tech is just bewildering.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 X3 M40i
It's your 10th BMW, but you're still seeing the same mistakes.

What's the definition of crazy again? My advice: If they don't suit you, find another make.
2016 Porsche Macan Turbo
2018 SQ5 Prestige (sold)
2018 BMW X3 M40i
2018 BMW M550i (sold)
2018 BMW M5
Old 07-29-2019, 04:41 AM

Not helpful exactly but thanks for commenting...

Last edited by DLF750; 07-29-2019 at 05:05 AM.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:51 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 540i; 428 GC; 340i 6MT
The BT problem is with your phone, not the car. BT is not a universal protocol; that's why BMW has a list of BT phones they have tested and know work with their cars. Some phones which are not on the list (like my LG Droid) work perfectly. Others do not.

The bit where the Nav asks for permission to override a route or begin navigation is almost certainly due to the BMW Connected App. It's a terribly buggy app. But if it is asking permission for the car to send you some place, the car is reacting appropriately.

50,000 miles on my 540 and the only time my presets ever disappear is when (A.) the car's software has been updated or (B.) when another family member has been using the car, with the second key linked to their profile. Are you sure you are always using the same key? Are you sure it is properly linked to your profile in iDrive? When you first get into the car in the morning, does the welcome screen show your name?
2016 428 GC MSport

Prior BMW's
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 07-29-2019, 05:59 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 540i; 428 GC; 340i 6MT
Quote:
Huh? The screen you are showing has the checkbox to upload your contact list from the phone. The box is not checked, meaning your contacts are not being shared with the car for phone calls, text messages, etc. How do you make the leap to saying you're forced to delete and repair your phone?

And I don't have Carplay, so this is a legit question: Can't you just assign one of your preset buttons to pull it up? Rather than have 500 buttons in the interior, I much prefer BMW's approach. I have preset buttons set for:
  • Favorite FM station
  • Favorite AM News station
  • Read text messages to me
  • Activate Comfort Ventilation
  • Toggle HUD on/off
  • Toiggle iDrive screen on / off

Pretty much everything else in the car I access via voice commands. In fact, couldn't you just access CapPlay via voice command?
2016 428 GC MSport

Prior BMW's
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)
Today's Posts Search