Auto H functionality - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Wow! Really. Pray we never have a diesel run-away. I doubt an automatic transmission can stall the motor as the TDI MT can. You must not take a run-away diesel to neutral unload it.
True, the engine doesn't slow down the vehicle's motion for automatic transmissions as good as it does for manual transmissions. Although I can imagine one could play with the steptronics in a similar fashion as you would downshifting in a manual setup; but I don't reckon it will be as effective.

I also think that in an engine run-away scenario, that the steptronic downshifting will be useless since the monitoring systems in the Bimmer will reverse your inputs due to vehicle speed and engine speed. I read somewhere that while using the steptronics, if you leave the transmission in a low gear for too long and continue revving up the engine, the system takes over and puts it in normal driving mode to protect the engine. So one could really be screwed if such a scenario ever happens.

Quote:
A nuclear plant back-up steam power plant had two turbine generators with cross connected low pressure steam sections for load sharing balancing. Someone was taking down the steam plant and forgot to shut the cross connect and popped open the breaker at minimum power indication. The turbine ran away on LP steam from the other side. The direct coupled generator came apart and the 3 ton rotor destroyed the generator room. The power plant was replaced with DGs. The apprentice taking logs at the time, an acquaintance, said he hunkered down next to the biggest foundation that he could see and waited for the noise to stop. Said the rotor got stuck spinning in a corner and rattled for 30 seconds.
WOW!!! Hope no casualties or serious injuries were incurred.

Last edited by Falkon; 08-21-2019 at 08:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2019, 09:29 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
No injuries as a machine room is normally unoccupied except for, as in this case, monitoring. The multi-million $$$ powerhouse was effectively destroyed and kept only as a source of clean steam distilled water. Semi-portable DG's replaced the back-up power function.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:29 AM
Nuclear engineer

No injuries as a machine room is normally unoccupied except for, as in this case, monitoring. The multi-million $$$ powerhouse was effectively destroyed and kept only as a source of clean steam distilled water. Semi-portable DG’s replaced the back-up power function.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2019, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35d, MY2011 150,000 mi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkon View Post
. . . healthy Bimmer will not let you turn the Engine OFF while in gear and in motion; so your transmission is in safe hands. You get a warning if you push the Start/Stop Button while you're in motion.
Didn't know that . . . always wanted to look up what happens if I hit that Start/Stop while the car is moving, but keep forgetting to do it . . . thanks . . .

I suppose then the only option in the event of complete hydraulic failure and a G-series type of parking brake . . . start downshifting and hopefully, you have enough room to bring the car to a slow craw/stop it.

I read somewhere, not sure if it is true for the G05 . . . when you pull on the parking brake, the cable twists a cam like structure that pushes the disc brake pistons together. i.e. the pistons are squeezed via a mechanical force, not hydraulic . . . and the cable tightening is done via a small electric motor.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: x5 35d e70 2011
Hopefully on run away the throttle closes to kill the engine but with bmw and their crap half assed programming, I'm not sure.
Another reason why an egr race pipe is not a good idea.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPsX5d View Post
Didn't know that . . . always wanted to look up what happens if I hit that Start/Stop while the car is moving, but keep forgetting to do it . . . thanks . . .
You're welcome.

Curiosity gets the best part of me most times and I experiment with these things such as
1. pushing that Start/Stop button while on a safe driving condition (got a warning)
2. pulling the Emergency Park button (slowed down momentarily with a warning)
3. trying to eject the key fob before pushing the Start/Stop button (unable to eject)
4. very hard braking on a wet road (Bimmer kept straight, no skidding but a lot of clicking of the ABS)
5. launching off like a bruised cat to see if I could get the tires to spin and lose traction (couldn't do a tire burn out)

Quote:
I suppose then the only option in the event of complete hydraulic failure and a G-series type of parking brake . . . start downshifting and hopefully, you have enough room to bring the car to a slow craw/stop it.
Hopefully so.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
Hopefully on run away the throttle closes to kill the engine but with bmw and their crap half assed programming, I'm not sure.
Another reason why an egr race pipe is not a good idea.
Well, kind of counter-intuitive since in an engine-runaway scenario your throttle would be fully open; so you'd be a very precarious situation if you also have a total brake hydraulic failure.

Good thing we haven't ever heard of such failures occurring. Thinking about its possibility really makes you wish for our Bimmers to be equipped with the old school manual Hand/Parking Brakes (just Handle, Cables and Shoes)
Old 08-21-2019, 03:45 PM

Mein Auto: x5 35d e70 2011
Quote:
Well, kind of counter-intuitive since in an engine-runaway scenario your throttle would be fully open; so you'd be a very precarious situation if you also have a total brake hydraulic failure.

Good thing we haven't ever heard of such failures occurring. Thinking about its possibility really makes you wish for our Bimmers to be equipped with the old school manual Hand/Parking Brakes (just Handle, Cables and Shoes)
it's not counter intuitive to use the throttle in front of the egr to stop the engine...
on the vw tdi the throttle shuts when you hit ignition off. Ideally we could hit off if the engine runs away and kill the combustion.
On the tdi they used the throttle also to make the engine shut down smoothly. Not sure if the m57 does this too.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
No injuries as a machine room is normally unoccupied except for, as in this case, monitoring. The multi-million $$$ powerhouse was effectively destroyed and kept only as a source of clean steam distilled water. Semi-portable DG’s replaced the back-up power function.
Great to hear. I really get freaked out hearing about accidents; Machinery and Equipment could be replaced but not so much for Life.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
it's not counter intuitive to use the throttle in front of the egr to stop the engine...
on the vw tdi the throttle shuts when you hit ignition off. Ideally we could hit off if the engine runs away and kill the combustion.
On the tdi they used the throttle also to make the engine shut down smoothly. Not sure if the m57 does this too.
Ahhh! Now I understand you, my bad; you're talking Diesel engines and I was thinking Petrol.

Yes of course, that'd be great. But I guess the irony in our Bimmers is that once the engine shuts off, the system throws the Transmission into Park. I can't imagine how this will be handled with the vehicle already travelling at some speed.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
. . . Curiosity gets the best part of me most times and I experiment with these things such as . . .
Thanks for knocking off several items on my to-do (in some instances didn't want to risk it) list . . .
Old 08-21-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks for knocking off several items on my to-do (in some instances didn't want to risk it) list . . .

I don't like mysteries so I try figuring out as many things (that have my interest) as I can. And I ask for others explanations where I can't.

I drive my Bimmer mostly in Sports Mode; just to give you an idea, it's fun and edgy. I stay within safe driving limits though; no crazy stuff but no lazying about either.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.4/2013 650ix GC
Also, don't forget to move the gear shift lever into NEUTRAL...then you can turn the engine off (as mentioned above, it won't happen if in gear)...this will allow the vehicle to deceleration naturally.

And yes, unlike the guy a few months ago in Florida with the run-away X5...you can move the shift lever into N without destroying the engine...there's a lockout (you have to press the button) to go past N to go into Reverse.

BMW driver's 911 call: https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...-hes-speeding/
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe` (Black Sapphire) 1/13 mfg date
(SOLD)
97 740iL (Arctic Silver) <<~>> 99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=637911&d=1538398374&thumb=1&stc=1

Last edited by QSilver7; 08-21-2019 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
Also, don't forget to move the gear shift lever into NEUTRAL...then you can turn the engine off (as mentioned above, it won't happen if in gear)...this will allow the vehicle to deceleration naturally. . . .
BMW driver's 911 call: http://<font color="Blue">https://ww...eeding</font>/
In a real emergency (hydraulic system failure), putting it in NEUTRAL is a bad idea . . . you are better off shifting down as quickly as the car will let you . . . I have done this and you can get it to M3 fairly quickly, M2 requires the car to really slow down . . . yes, the gear won't engage if the vehicle is going too fast for that particular gear . . .

Many of the statements stated in the BMW driver 911 call article is simply wrong . . . the comment about using the Start/Stop button to switch off the engine is not true . . . Falkon has already tested it . . . not sure if the 2003 X5 had the old fashioned key . . . if it did, simply turning the key would have killed the engine and that would have brought the car to a halt.

All that said, from a probability standpoint - a complete hydraulic failure happening to a driver who is completely clueless is probably near zero . . . for all we know, in the event of a hydraulic failure, there may be logic built into the software to kill the engine in a controlled manner . . . if the article is correct, there is logic built to address the situation where both the brake and accelerator are pressed at the same time . . . brake takes priority . . .
Old 08-22-2019, 08:06 AM
Nuclear engineer

^^^ Clueless speculation.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 x5 v8 M adapative
So what happens when you're driving on the highway and the engine cuts out. Does it put it in neutral automatically?
Old 08-22-2019, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: X5 e70 4.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown312 View Post
So what happens when you're driving on the highway and the engine cuts out. Does it put it in neutral automatically?

It sure does so when the battery and alternator are toast. Putting in neutral is a battery powered operation of a bowden cable. Iirc. No hydrolics required.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
In a real emergency (hydraulic system failure), putting it in NEUTRAL is a bad idea . . . you are better off shifting down as quickly as the car will let you . . . I have done this and you can get it to M3 fairly quickly, M2 requires the car to really slow down . . . yes, the gear won't engage if the vehicle is going too fast for that particular gear . . .
True

Quote:
. . . the comment about using the Start/Stop button to switch off the engine is not true . . . Falkon has already tested it
I tried it again today, pushing the Start/Stop button while in motion (In fact nothing happened; I must be mistaken about the warning signal I said I got earlier) I also tried ejecting the key fob and nothing happened as well.

You really can't turn this machine off while in motion; I suppose it must be for good reasons.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
I tried it again today, pushing the Start/Stop button while in motion (In fact nothing happened; I must be mistaken about the warning signal I said I got earlier) I also tried ejecting the key fob and nothing happened as well.

You really can't turn this machine off while in motion; I suppose it must be for good reasons.
Were you also in gear while in motion? What happens if you are in neutral and press the START/STOP button?
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe` (Black Sapphire) 1/13 mfg date
(SOLD)
97 740iL (Arctic Silver) <<~>> 99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=637911&d=1538398374&thumb=1&stc=1
Old 08-22-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Were you also in gear while in motion?
Yes I was in gear.

Quote:
What happens if you are in neutral and press the START/STOP button?
Hmmm.... didn't think about that, will be on my next test. Or could you try it and let us know?
Old 08-22-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Yes I was in gear.
Hmmm.... didn't think about that, will be on my next test. Or could you try it and let us know?
I'm driving the e53 today...so my "test" would have to be later.
(SOLD)

Last edited by QSilver7; 08-24-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Yes I was in gear.
OK, I drove my f06 this morning so I was able to do a test of the START/STOP button. As already mentioned, if the car is in gear and in motion...pressing the START/STOP button does absolutely nothing.

BUT...if you push the gear shift lever into N...then press the button you can actually turn the car off. I did this while driving BELOW 20 MPH in case something horrible would occur. I pressed the button once, then twice and the engine shut off and the car came to a stop (felt like the parking brakes were applied) and a warning about the transmission going into Park appeared in the lower left side of the instrument cluster (granted, this is the 6WA cluster in a 2013 f06...the cluster in an e70 x5 is slightly different so the warning would probably appear wherever it does when you incorrectly try to move the gear shift lever into gear without pressing the button).
(SOLD)

Old 08-24-2019, 09:40 AM

Thanks for doing this . . .

So I guess in the event of a total hydraulic failure, the best option is to go into manual mode and shift down, when the car has slowed down considerably, shift into neutral and switch off the engine . . . the parking brake will engage and when the car is stopped the gear will shift into Park.

I am guessing even for the new G05 (that doesn't use a drum brake for the parking brakes), activation is NOT hydraulic driven.

None of this is realistic if you are in heavy traffic or in a panic scenario . . . but in the case of that Florida chap, who found the time to call 911 and cops had the time to set up two separate tire spikes (first one the driver dodged!) . . . I am sure I can do everything I listed above and bring the car safely to a stop on the shoulder!
Old 08-24-2019, 11:39 AM
What was that?

Mein Auto: 05 M3, '13 TLC, '11X5 35i
Quote:
OK, I drove my f06 this morning so I was able to do a test of the START/STOP button. As already mentioned, if the car is in gear and in motion...pressing the START/STOP button does absolutely nothing.

That is, unless you press the button repeatedly... I had tried it long time ago in my wife’s series 1, and just now tried it again in the X5.

When in gear, the engine will turn off and trans goes to Neutral. The car remained in the ON position. I was doing 35 mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:

BUT...if you push the gear shift lever into N...then press the button you can actually turn the car off. I did this while driving BELOW 20 MPH in case something horrible would occur. I pressed the button once, then twice and the engine shut off and the car came to a stop (felt like the parking brakes were applied) and a warning about the transmission going into Park appeared in the lower left side of the instrument cluster (granted, this is the 6WA cluster in a 2013 f06...the cluster in an e70 x5 is slightly different so the warning would probably appear wherever it does when you incorrectly try to move the gear shift lever into gear without pressing the button).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoCarNut View Post
That is, unless you press the button repeatedly... I had tried it long time ago in my wife’s series 1, and just now tried it again in the X5.

When in gear, the engine will turn off and trans goes to Neutral. The car remained in the ON position. I was doing 35 mph.
Quote:
Thanks for doing this . . .
So I guess in the event of a total hydraulic failure, the best option is to go into manual mode and shift down, when the car has slowed down considerably, shift into neutral and switch off the engine . . . the parking brake will engage and when the car is stopped the gear will shift into Park.
Great job people.

So based on these, I guess that in the unforeseeable scenario of a run-away engine of our Bimmers, that with due diligence, the engine could be safely turned off after all and the Bimmer brought to a stop in a reasonably safe manner. Thanks to all for your input and experiments.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search