530e range story - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)

G30 (2017 - Current)
The next generation 5 Series, chassis code G30, arrives at dealers in February 2017. Looking like a scaled down 7 Series and riding on the CLAR platform, the new 5 Series will have a focus on lightweight and sporty performance. Engines options will come from BMW's new B family for the 530 and 540 and a turbocharged V8 for the M550i. Read more about the 2017 5 Series

Old 08-20-2019, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 530e
530e range story

A couple days ago I drove down from the Colorado Rockies, 34 miles from Rollinsville to Denver using no gasoline! OK, I started with a range of 90 gas miles and 19 electric miles and ended on I-470 with 90 gas miles and 10 electric miles.

I set the adaptive cruise to 35 mph and it kept very close to that speed even on the steepest downgrades. Instead of applying brakes the regenerative braking was able to slow the car and add to the battery charge as well.

One great example of the usefulness of hybrids in the mountains.

Doug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2019, 12:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightdriver View Post
A couple days ago I drove down from the Colorado Rockies, 34 miles from Rollinsville to Denver using no gasoline! OK, I started with a range of 90 gas miles and 19 electric miles and ended on I-470 with 90 gas miles and 10 electric miles.

I set the adaptive cruise to 35 mph and it kept very close to that speed even on the steepest downgrades. Instead of applying brakes the regenerative braking was able to slow the car and add to the battery charge as well.

One great example of the usefulness of hybrids in the mountains.

Doug.
Absolutely. However, when going up the mountain the opposite will apply. I can tell you that I have passed a car on a steep hill going uphill on a road with a 65 mph speed limit and it was no problem (felt like I was going 60). So the 530e does have adequate power (although I would have bought a 545e if it had been available).

I don't care about mpg but I do care about the environment so I try to use pure electric driving for as much local driving as I can but when I am on the open road I like to do more spirited driving. Driving this way I have been getting 700-900 miles on a tank of gas (I do a lot of local driving).
Old 08-21-2019, 06:03 AM

I totally agree Steve.

For my normal everyday errands the electric fills the bill. When I'm not on the road I'll put in about 8 or 9 gallons of gas a month. But I bought the 530 for those times I would like to Drive. And in those cases I also don't care about the mpg. However, for the long boring trips on the interstate, the performance usually doesn't matter while on the cruise control, steering assist, etc. Then is where I care about mpg. Well, range since the 530e has such a small tank.

I did not notice much difference from my old 525i in mileage going up the mountain. And the power in the 530e seemed about the same. But as I noted, going down the mountain was where this car's abilities impressed me. Very nice not having to ride the brake like the car in front did. It must have irritated the guy behind me though, never seeing my brake lights come on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
I totally agree Steve.

For my normal everyday errands the electric fills the bill. When I'm not on the road I'll put in about 8 or 9 gallons of gas a month. But I bought the 530 for those times I would like to Drive. And in those cases I also don't care about the mpg. However, for the long boring trips on the interstate, the performance usually doesn't matter while on the cruise control, steering assist, etc. Then is where I care about mpg. Well, range since the 530e has such a small tank.

I did not notice much difference from my old 525i in mileage going up the mountain. And the power in the 530e seemed about the same. But as I noted, going down the mountain was where this car's abilities impressed me. Very nice not having to ride the brake like the car in front did. It must have irritated the guy behind me though, never seeing my brake lights come on.
I see mixed results on whether the brake lights come on. As best I can determine, car manufacturers comply with a UN provision that requires the brake lights to come on when a certain amount of deceleration occurs but car makers can turn it on earlier. I think they definitely come on with ACC deceleration but I am less sure of the exact performance otherwise.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I see mixed results on whether the brake lights come on. As best I can determine, car manufacturers comply with a UN provision that requires the brake lights to come on when a certain amount of deceleration occurs but car makers can turn it on earlier. I think they definitely come on with ACC deceleration but I am less sure of the exact performance otherwise.
Well that makes sense. I wonder if anyone else on this forum would know what brake light performance for the times the regenerative system slows the car. Perhaps any time it slows? I guess I'll ask the BMW guru next time I'm around my dealer.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 530e xDrive
Just because the car says that you still have 90 miles of gas range doesn't mean that no gas was used. I can get in the car with 90 miles of gas range, drive 20 miles and have it say i have 100 miles of gas range left. Surely that doesn't mean that gas was added to my car. If your mileage is increasing or better than you average, the range will increase even as you use gas.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 535d
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I don't care about mpg but I do care about the environment .....
Straddling the fence, eh?

If “Emissions” Actually Mattered . . .
Old 08-22-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff661 View Post
Just because the car says that you still have 90 miles of gas range doesn't mean that no gas was used. I can get in the car with 90 miles of gas range, drive 20 miles and have it say i have 100 miles of gas range left. Surely that doesn't mean that gas was added to my car. If your mileage is increasing or better than you average, the range will increase even as you use gas.
True. That happens all the time when I'm on the road. It's a little disoncerting sometimes when an acceptable range + tolerance will shortly decrease to a concern in the middle of the country.

However, in this unique case I could monitor the charge being used and accrued and noticed that the short uphill sections never depleted the charge available by the time the downhill parts added more. So in this case, no gasoline was used until I got out of the mountains and on to the highway.

Granted, this was a very unique case and rarely happens. I just thought I would share a time that it did.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
Nice article. However that point is that the hybrid, ie 530e in our case, is more environmentally friendly than the full electric. So I guess Steve is still satisfied. Of course I realize the EV in that article is the uber-high performance Tesla vs a Prius, so we may not get as many enviro-points as the Toyota, but we should still get some.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Nice article. However that point is that the hybrid, ie 530e in our case, is more environmentally friendly than the full electric. So I guess Steve is still satisfied. Of course I realize the EV in that article is the uber-high performance Tesla vs a Prius, so we may not get as many enviro-points as the Toyota, but we should still get some.
Yes I am. We all make compromises in life. I make a point of recharging multiple times during the day (I work mostly from home but when I go into the office it is a 20 mile drive to downtown Phoenix) and doing local driving on max EV and that makes me feel less guilty about opening up when I have the opportunity. Put it all together and getting 700-900 miles on a 12.4 gallon tank is pretty good for the environment.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:26 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2018 540i
Quote:
But as I noted, going down the mountain was where this car's abilities impressed me. Very nice not having to ride the brake like the car in front did. It must have irritated the guy behind me though, never seeing my brake lights come on.
Most anyone with any experience on steep hills (in a "regular" car) would know to select a lower gear, perhaps 2nd or 3rd depending on speed, with the same result of using engine braking to avoid constant brake use. Not a new concept.

Current: 2018 540i MSport | Med Blue/Cognac| MSport Brakes | Multi-Contour | HK | ZLP
Prior: 2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather
Old 08-23-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Most anyone with any experience on steep hills (in a "regular" car) would know to select a lower gear, perhaps 2nd or 3rd depending on speed, with the same result of using engine braking to avoid constant brake use. Not a new concept.
True BUT the ability to charge the car while going down the steep hill and maintain that charge while running on electric power is not traditional (obviously).
Old 08-23-2019, 08:08 PM

Mein Auto: 40e
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
You're oversimplifying. Even Jacobsen brakes on rigs don't regen - downshifting and "jake brakes" just add drag from unfired compression and spinning engine mass. But PHEV and BEV engineers put a lot of thought into pedal behavior, and the pinnacle is "one pedal driving" (i.e., no brake pedal at all). Such one pedal driving, while a design ideal, isn't fully implemented in the real world. Think "bumper cars" and you get the idea: you have either "go" or "friction." No speed, no brakes. The problem with bumper cars is, of course, all that bumping. In the real world, the implementation is short of that, for regulatory and a thousand other valid reasons. The i3 approaches the edge much closer than the 530e. You can choose to one pedal driving, largely ignoring the brake pedal in the i3.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 BMW 530e
Doug,
Were you driving on "comfort" or what?
Old 08-27-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugH View Post
Doug,
Were you driving on "comfort" or what?
Yes I was. I found that the Eco mode waits too long to slow the car and recover charge. I switched to the Eco mode after getting on the highway. At that point the performance bump from Comfort didn't come while on cruise control

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)
Today's Posts Search