First time lease advice, and what hidden charges are typical at lease end? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)

G30 (2017 - Current)
The next generation 5 Series, chassis code G30, arrives at dealers in February 2017. Looking like a scaled down 7 Series and riding on the CLAR platform, the new 5 Series will have a focus on lightweight and sporty performance. Engines options will come from BMW's new B family for the 530 and 540 and a turbocharged V8 for the M550i. Read more about the 2017 5 Series

Old 08-31-2019, 12:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2020 M Sport 540i ordered
First time lease advice, and what hidden charges are typical at lease end?

I have taken the plunge and have my heavily optioned M Sport 540i on order. This will be my first time leasing any vehicle. I have a good understanding trying to avoid putting money down up front, residual, money factor buy rate vs dealer mark up rate, multiple security deposits, acquisition fee, DMV Fees, document fees, etc...

Where I'm a little vague are the charges that potentially happen at the end of the 3 year lease.

Assuming all is good at the end of 3 years from a paint, body panel and wheel condition perspective... so there's a disposition fee of around $350, then is it common that BMW bill you for some reconditioning? If the run flat tires don't have enough tread how much is the usual and customary whack for a set of 4 tires? Is it common they come after you for brake pads? Rotors? Brake sensors? Anything else? More worse if they know your not rolling into another consecutive BMW lease?

On another forum someone recommended always buying the Ultimate Care Maintenance Upgrade for $700... Is everyone in agreement with this strategy? I thought it was generally best to avoid spending when they send you to the finance guy.

Also, seemingly few buy their residual out and keep their car at lease end. My dealership GM flat out said in conversation that BMW makes this difficult as they want you to lease again. Other than perhaps paying a bit over prevailing market value at lease end are there other real roadblocks or arm twisting to expect? I ask this because the used car market is slim pickings in my area.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2019, 04:10 AM

Mein Auto:
I drive too much to lease so I'm doing what everyone says I shouldn't do and buying my first BMW. Hopefully I'm not setting my shirt on fire...

Some users pull off and store the OEM tire set and swap to something else they like from Tire Rack or similar. That way they can return the car with the original tires and prevent any charges for tires at lease end. From what I've read they hit you for buying all 4. I'd imagine the Ultimate Care+ is recommended because at $700 you get brakes thrown in so if you need a new set of brakes at lease end (or sooner) they'll get swapped without you getting hit. Since the only real benefit you're getting from the upgrade is brakes you're probably coming out even pre-paying for the brakes and at a loss if you end up not needing them (since regular Ultimate Care covers everything else for 3 years except Brakes and Wipers).
Old 08-31-2019, 06:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2016 535d
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiSteve View Post
I have taken the plunge and have my heavily optioned M Sport 540i on order. This will be my first time leasing any vehicle. I have a good understanding trying to avoid putting money down up front, residual, money factor buy rate vs dealer mark up rate, multiple security deposits, acquisition fee, DMV Fees, document fees, etc...

Where I'm a little vague are the charges that potentially happen at the end of the 3 year lease.

Assuming all is good at the end of 3 years from a paint, body panel and wheel condition perspective... so there's a disposition fee of around $350, then is it common that BMW bill you for some reconditioning? If the run flat tires don't have enough tread how much is the usual and customary whack for a set of 4 tires? Is it common they come after you for brake pads? Rotors? Brake sensors? Anything else? More worse if they know your not rolling into another consecutive BMW lease?

On another forum someone recommended always buying the Ultimate Care Maintenance Upgrade for $700... Is everyone in agreement with this strategy? I thought it was generally best to avoid spending when they send you to the finance guy.

Also, seemingly few buy their residual out and keep their car at lease end. My dealership GM flat out said in conversation that BMW makes this difficult as they want you to lease again. Other than perhaps paying a bit over prevailing market value at lease end are there other real roadblocks or arm twisting to expect? I ask this because the used car market is slim pickings in my area.

I've been getting new cars for 40 years and have leased a few, mostly because my budget didn't look good in buying for monthly payments.

From what I gather as I'm using BMW for the first time for leasing they "discourage" buy back by making the residual a bit higher than market value for a used vehicle of similar condition. This allows you to pay less monthly for the lease.

I've done well either trading the leased car in at the end or buying it out and then trading it in since my buying history usually has a vehicle that maintains value really well. This doesn't seem to be the case with late model BMW's perhaps because of their practice of oversupplying leased vehicles for the used car market.

Unfortunately they no longer sell a car like my 535d in North America so I will play my preference and buy out the lease, avoiding mileage and body/wheel issues. It will look too costly on the surface but it likely be worth my while as I know the original owner, ha ha. In the meantime I will have benefitted from the lower lease payments for 3 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2019, 06:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 535d
The choices when you lease are:

1. Keep mileage lower than max, fix all defects, hand it in.
2. Drive more, exceed the mileage, hand it in, pay for the extra miles.
3. Trade it in at any dealer before the lease is up, the dealer buys out the lease and floats any extra residual into the new car payment.
4. Ask the OEM lease company to "re-lease" your car with a different buyback at the end (can be as little as $1.00)
5. Buy out the lease either at the end or shortly before and do as you wish with the car.

I've only done #4 and 5 and so far so good. The OEM lease company (BMW in this case) has a satisfied customer as a result, even though they want you to buy/lease a new one.

I will change a car if it no longer serves my needs/desires. In the meantime, I drive my fine machinery like I own it (not like I "stole it") so I get a peach for many more miles if it suits my needs.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 M550i
I've leased both a MINI (2011MY) and a BMW (2014MY)... in both cases the fees at turn-in were fair and what they disclosed up-front. MINI had me replace two tires, which was fair. It would have been fair if BMW asked me to replace two tires, also, but they didn't. (these were both ~30k mile 'normal' run-flats, not lower profile/sport/20k mile tires).

My BMW had some cosmetic bodywork damage like scrapes and dents. I took it to get it assessed a few months before turn-in and they pointed out what they would want me to fix and gave me an estimate for the half-dozen items, which was something in the ballpark of $1500...I didn't get any of them fixed and when I turned the car in they didn't mention or notice or charge me for any of it.

So, long story short, the meta aspects of leasing from BMW are just fine by me and pretty above-board.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: See Sig
I'm just going to make a general statement. I've leased quite a few cars from quite a few manufacturers. I've never been charged anything other than any disposition fees that are spelled out ahead of time. Never any surprises. I do take good care of my cars. But the point is that they have never looked for ways to get to me. No car is ever perfect. Minors paint chips and dings are expected.
Previous BMW: 2012 550 M-Sport
Old 08-31-2019, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 BMW 530e
I can't recall the last time I purchased a car versus leasing. Usually I'll do my homework on the internet and select the vehicle I want with the equipment I'd like to get. Also, I do my best to try and get the dealer's wholesale price so I'll have an idea how much discount I'll try to get.Then I'll send my request with the vehicle color and equipment via email to all the local dealers. Once you get the answers you can start the price negotiations. Towards the end of my lease I usually will take the car to CarMax. Sometimes you can make a couple of thousands or so, depending on your vehicle. BMW will usually offer a "jump-ahead" (I think that's what they call it) within 6 months of lease maturation. If you want a newer BMW that's a good time to do it. Then you won't have to pay the termination fee on your lease vehicle and they'll usually overlook any minor damage and depending on the dealership they will sometimes overlook the milage. There are a lot of people around this board more knowledgeable that I. I am sure they will be able to help with they savvy advice. BTW - never do a downpayment and with BMW on a 36 mo. lease, there is no reason to purchase any extended maintenance insurance.

Last edited by HugH; 08-31-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: 18' Tesla Model 3 Perf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiSteve View Post

What "could" be charged depends on the condition of your car. If your tires dont meet lease end guidelines, they will charge you for tires (for example).

"Normal wear and tear" will be defined in the lease paperwork. If you have a chip on the windshield (for example) they will charge you to replace the windshield at lease end pricing.

The pricing of some items like tires depends on what you have on the car...

There are a few things you can do to mitigate / eliminate these charges

1. Take very good care of the car (duh)
2. Understand that you normally end up needing to purchase tires on a BMW lease, unless you are very easy on tires, and dont have staggered tires so can rotate them.
3. Dont get curb rash
4. Dont make modifications (understand that they CAN charge you to remove things like window tint.. they dont usually but CAN).

If you dont want to worry about most of that, BMW offers a bmw backed Lease end damage waiver of 5k of damage. The price is somewhat negotiable. no idea how much it is on a G series 5. Probably around 1.3k to 2k depending on negotiating skills and the dealer.

Also, in your specific case, if you are not leasing the car from someone on the island, understand that you are in a captive market... and I have read that the BMW centers out there do not take too kindly to "outside cars" being brought in that were not bought from their center.

its possible that YOUR lease return situation may be different from most of ours, simply because you are in a captive market with one person / group that owns the dealers out there I have been told.

If you want to know what they CAN charge you for, its a lot. If you want to know what someone who takes decent care of their car normally pays, its the lease disposition fee, and maybe some tires if you didnt replace them.

I posted my lease end document here from one of my leases before. Its a few years old now, so the prices may not be relevant. I will see if I can find that post to link to here in case you want to look at a PDF of a lease end document.

EDIT.. here is the thread I am talking about. Its several years old at this point but IS a document you can download and take a look at if you want to.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=903851

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

18' Tesla Model 3 Performance

BMW CCA #477341

Last edited by jjrandorin; 08-31-2019 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 540ix
I have purchased the "Excess wear and tear" option on my last three 5ers and I highly recommend it. This is a non-refundable up front charge, about $1200 as I recall, which basically means you can give them back the car without worrying about worn tires, paint and windshield chips, curb rash etc. Well worth it for the tires alone. Of course, I have no idea how much I would have had to pay had I not had this protection but the assessor who comes out and looks at the car at lease end notices everything (and I mean everything) and records it all. The "Excess wear and tear" protection does not include any collision damage so keep that in mind. If you hit something you're going to have to pay to have it fixed whether you see to at the time or wait until you turn it in.

Current BMW

2017 BMW 540ix
Dark Graphite Metallic/Ivory
Prior BMWs
2014 BMW 535ix
Imperial Blue/Beige interior
2011 528i
Cashmere Silver/Black Dakota
2001 530i Sport (deceased)
Cosmos Black
Other
2018 Subaru Legacy 3.6R
1977 Corvette 383 Stroker
Old 09-04-2019, 05:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2005z4 2003525i
I have owned many BMW autos over the years, and have leased 3. When I turned in my 228i a couple years back I mentioned to the woman I had spoken with at BMW financial about a perfect one owner 528i I just purchased.
She said congratulations, and for being a loyal customer ( even though I purchased a privately owned 15 year old car) she had the authority to wave my lease end fee.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:24 AM

Mein Auto: '11 335i, '00 323it
A few years back I turned in a 2008 335i to Patrick BMW in Columbus. I had taken care of the car and mileage was below the limit. Also, I was not replacing it as it was a spare car for me. I thought the tires were at the edge, but dealer was fine with them. Deposit on the car was greater than disposition fee, and I netted 100% of expected. They ended up prepping it as a CPO vehicle.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto:
I've never had unexpected "lease" charges. I've had tires, I think that's it. My recommendation is this: if you live where there is snow, get a good set of winter tires and then your BMW regular tires will still have life in them at the end of the lease, and you get better winter performance. No snow, then get a "summer tire" and alternate. Both are likely cheaper than buying the BMW tires.

Otherwise, going over miles, but you can purchase additional miles online in your BMW account at a discount ahead of time.

If you DON'T use your miles, you can use that (sometimes) as a discount to a new lease.

At the end of your lease, you can lease another, buy new, or buy a pre-owned BMW. I've leased again and bought a pre-owned.

The key is having a good dealership. So if you go to one that wants to charge for a bunch of stuff, just go to another.

A final idea is if you get an itch for another car 2-2.5 years in, use swapalease.com. I've done that also, very good site and lease trading a BMW is decently easy.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:09 AM

Well, just one low volume dealer (20 cars sold per month) on the Island, so not much to choose from. And oh... what's winter?
Old 09-04-2019, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto:
Island?? Hawaii?

Winter, something to be avoided! Yeah, I'd run summer tires and swap out the general tires. The included tires will likely wear out prior to lease end in my experience, and likely cost more than a set of good summer ones. So get a better driving experience at a lower cost
Old 09-04-2019, 05:07 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 540i; 428 GC; 340i 6MT
Lots of good advice here. +1 on looking into the excess wear and tear coverage. Additional comments:
  • If you want any special bits on the car (MPPK, carbon fiber spoiler or mirror caps, or any other BMW Accessories) have your dealer add them to the build as Port Installed Accessories. That way, you can residualize them over the term of the lease and you'll only wind up paying about half the cost, vs. having hte dealership install them.
  • 90-ish days before the lease ends, BMWFS will send you a Lease End Kit, which includes a useful tool called a Ding-o-Meter. You can use it to measure your tread depth, and the size of any dents or scratches in the sheet metal. The lease end dent charge varies by the size of the dent. Small ones are not charged. Larger ones may be, but you'll probably want to take the car to a paintless dent removal place to save $$$.
  • Cracks in the windshield ARE chargable. And BMW glass can be pretty expensive, depending on which options you have on your car. If windshield replacements aren't covered by your auto policy, you may want to consider adding it.
  • If you are not already a member, join BMWCCA. You will get a $1,000 rebate after you take delivery.
  • Find out if you are eligible for MSD's (multiple security deposits). The ROR on these is in the 12% neighborhood. Bimmerfest has removed a lot of useful information that used to reside in the Ask-a-Dealer section, but you can check out Leasehacker.com for details.
  • WRT tires: You may want to replace the OEM RFT tires with performance summer tires like Michelin Pilot Sports. They should last you for the first 18 months or so of your lease. When they wear down, replace them with the OEM RFT's and turn the car in that way. Order the optional spare tire on your build. The ossue with BMW tires (even RFT's) is that you can only drive them a limited distance once they lose pressure. But that should be less of an issue on Oahu than Wyoming.
2016 428 GC MSport

Prior BMW's
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 09-04-2019, 11:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Porsche Boxster S
Hey MauiSteve, any reason why you didn't lease from a mainland dealer? All I can tell you, on a 3 series, I saved thousands over what the Kona dealer wanted to charge me, for the same car. They gave me a song and dance they were losing money. It was very easy for me, as I told you in my PM. Just wondering if they actually gave you a deal. Anything they want to sell you in finance, warranty, extra service, etc is not in your favor. Also, they will mark up the money factor and insist they have to. If you are going to use MSD's, make sure you tell them upfront.
2006 325i sedan, retired, prem, sport
Old 09-05-2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauicoug View Post
Hey MauiSteve, any reason why you didn't lease from a mainland dealer? All I can tell you, on a 3 series, I saved thousands over what the Kona dealer wanted to charge me, for the same car. They gave me a song and dance they were losing money. It was very easy for me, as I told you in my PM. Just wondering if they actually gave you a deal. Anything they want to sell you in finance, warranty, extra service, etc is not in your favor. Also, they will mark up the money factor and insist they have to. If you are going to use MSD's, make sure you tell them upfront.
A combination of reasons contributed to the decision: jjrandorin who posted above touched on part of the reason I went with the local stealer. I also had some success with my negotiations. In the end I would prefer to keep my dollars local and support the Maui economy, rather than line the pockets of some shipper. Additionally, the local CA actually sold me a non-BMW 15 years ago when he was relatively new, did well with that car, and I always thought favorably of my interactions with him. I'm good with him putting something in his wallet.
Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 Lexus GS 350 F Sport
MauiSteve,

I'd strongly suggest considering two things:

1.) Safe Lease Excess Wear & Tear Protection, I added it to my 2016 535xi lease for $1.2K (not sure how hard if at all I negotiated on that item).

I'm a car-obsessed perfectionist and typically fix any issues prior to turn in (i.e. curb rash, dents, etc) typically my pain with leasing is either a few months before the lease is up I need tires so I spend $1K+ on tires and then turn the car in or I can get to the end of the lease but I get charged for the tires anyway. I figured that coupled with potential damage and just wanting to get all the $ pain out of the way up front..I did it. I can come in on bald tires and / or have a total of $5K of damage to the car.

If you re-lease, they'd probably waive any charges...so it's a bit of crap shoot.

2.) Tire & Rim Insurance (Didn't get cosmetic only damage)

Granted, I live in NJ and I'm really not an aggressive drive but with those run flat tires..the most minor pothole causes damage, I've had 1 rim and 1 tire replaced and I've lost count of how many rim repairs....that definitely paid for itself 2x.

As far as buying your own lease, that's what I want to do but as said in an earlier post..they inflate the residual to make for a lower lease price and the that inflated residual worse yet is based on MSRP not net selling price...so you really are paying a premium but some premium might be warranted to buy the car you know.

I love the F10 535xi M Sport. G30 has fully grown on me yet but if I could get the same deal, which I can't ...I'd jump into a 2019 540xi M Sport.

Congrat's on the car, enjoy it!
Old Yesterday, 05:43 PM

Mein Auto: '11 335i, '00 323it
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppointer View Post
A few years back I turned in a 2008 335i to Patrick BMW in Columbus. I had taken care of the car and mileage was below the limit. Also, I was not replacing it as it was a spare car for me. I thought the tires were at the edge, but dealer was fine with them. Deposit on the car was greater than disposition fee, and I netted 100% of expected. They ended up prepping it as a CPO vehicle.
I forgot to mention that I had the window tint removed. That is a stated chargeable item in the lease agreement -- they don't want to see it.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)
Today's Posts Search