530e won't charge - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)

G30 (2017 - Current)
The next generation 5 Series, chassis code G30, arrives at dealers in February 2017. Looking like a scaled down 7 Series and riding on the CLAR platform, the new 5 Series will have a focus on lightweight and sporty performance. Engines options will come from BMW's new B family for the 530 and 540 and a turbocharged V8 for the M550i. Read more about the 2017 5 Series

Old 09-02-2019, 06:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2019 BMW 530e Xdrive
530e won't charge

So after nearly a year with my 2019 530xe without any issues, today the car won't charge at all. I plug it in and it "charges" for a few minutes before showing an error. The app shows and the charge light flashes red.

The Notification Center says there is a charging error, but there is no detail as to if it is a charger issue or car issue.

Does anyone know how to pull any details out of the car on this or do I have to wait to bring it in to find out where to look for the source of the problem?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2019, 11:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: G30 530e M-Sport
Do you have access to another charger? I had the same thing, but the problem only ever occurred at the office and never at home. Turned out there was a partially broken wire in the charging cable at the office and it depended whether the previous person had coiled the cable clockwise or anti-clockwise. I kid you not!
Old 09-03-2019, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelup View Post
Do you have access to another charger? I had the same thing, but the problem only ever occurred at the office and never at home. Turned out there was a partially broken wire in the charging cable at the office and it depended whether the previous person had coiled the cable clockwise or anti-clockwise. I kid you not!
I agree. If you live reasonably close to your dealership, it likely has a charging unit in front of the store, mine does. You can park there and plug it in. If it works, then the problem is apparently with the charging unit at your home; if it doesn't work, then the problem is apparently in your car and you need to visit the rest of the dealership.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Well, I was able to get the car taken in today so as soon as the dealer pulls diagnostics, I'll reply back. I am hesitant to believe the charger is causing it as it has its own diagnostics (Juicebox L2 40A) and it is showing no issues and the cable is left loose on the ground without any twisting.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateflyer View Post
Quote:
Well, I was able to get the car taken in today so as soon as the dealer pulls diagnostics, I'll reply back. I am hesitant to believe the charger is causing it as it has its own diagnostics (Juicebox L2 40A) and it is showing no issues and the cable is left loose on the ground without any twisting.
After service found no issues, I detected the sound of arcing from the J-1772 plug. So new charger for the car it seems.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:38 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
Quote:
Originally Posted by privateflyer View Post
After service found no issues, I detected the sound of arcing from the J-1772 plug. So new charger for the car it seems.
I don't know how long you have had your charger, nor am I familiar with that particular charger, but check your warranty.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:53 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
About coiling, coiling anything, cables, cords, hoses, laid rope, plaited braided rope. DO NOT TWIST WHAT IS NOT BUILT TWISTED.

Of that list, only laid rope is made with a twist. When it is coiled for storage, coil it against the lay of the twist so that it is untwisted for storage and re-twisted when it is pulled out for use.

Everything else not made with a twist, lay it into your hand in a figure-eight. Lay the bitter end across your hand with the first bight near the ground, then pass the running part across your hand the other way from the bitter end pass and the second bight near the ground and repeat until it is 'coiled' without twist.

If one must twist a cable, as on a reel or coil, then very carefully untwist it coming off the reel or coil. Uncontrolled twist can make a line entirely unmanageable. The local gas station twists its coil of air hose, so I have to untwist it to use it and then put it up in a figure-eight. I'm sure he swears at me as he twists it up again.

I / we had to manage more than a thousand feet of rope to abseil the Rostrum in Yosemite valley.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I don't know how long you have had your charger, nor am I familiar with that particular charger, but check your warranty.
Fortunately it was under warranty and they've already shipped a replacement charger.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 428 GC
If itís the same one that came with the car, it should have the same warranty as the car.

2018 530e Xdrive
2015 428I Xdrive - sold
2011 X3 35I - sold
2017 Honda Ridgeline. Gotta have a truck.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebespapa View Post
If itís the same one that came with the car, it should have the same warranty as the car.
The OUC L1 charger is fine, it was a third-party L2 charger that had a faulty J1772 plug.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)
Today's Posts Search