Please help with AC settings - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)

G30 (2017 - Current)
The next generation 5 Series, chassis code G30, arrives at dealers in February 2017. Looking like a scaled down 7 Series and riding on the CLAR platform, the new 5 Series will have a focus on lightweight and sporty performance. Engines options will come from BMW's new B family for the 530 and 540 and a turbocharged V8 for the M550i. Read more about the 2017 5 Series

Old 09-05-2019, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 535i
Please help with AC settings

I have had the car for about a week now and the AC settings are starting to irritate me.

Currently outside temperature: 100 F and humid.

What I have it on:

Auto + Sync
Temp: 72 F
Auto Fan Intensity: Max

iDrive Climate Settings:
Auto Recirculate: Checked
Upper Body for Driver/Passenger - Neutral

This is what happens...the car starts cooling down, it feels great...cold air is coming through the top vents..then randomly i feel lukewarm air through the dash vents. Now I am like ...do I turn the temp down? How do I get it to blow the same cold air continuously. This feels like when you drive those auto start/stop cars and the ac compressor goes off..

Will going to manual mode help? Am I missing a setting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2019, 12:22 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
BMW IHKA HVAC is not designed nor intended to blow cold air. It is intended to maintain cabin set temperature. As cabin set temperature is approached then the Hot-water control valve will open so that eventually all things being equal and steady the air out will be at cabin set temperature.

It's a feature and not a bug.

Www.newtis.info
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: See Sig
The G30 AC system is well known to be a POS. There have been several threads going back over two years with many complaints.

There are a few things you should do.....

Turn it down to 60
Go into the iDrive climate settings and turn the upper level vents to the coldest setting for driver and passenger (not neutral as you are doing)
Don't touch those settings!

I live in Houston and am not really kidding. For five months that is mostly why I have to do.

A couple of other suggestions for really hot weather. If the car has been sitting in hot sun, push and hold the door unlock button on the FOB. That makes an amazing difference getting the really hot air out of the car quickly. As soon as I get moving I close all the windows but tilt the sunroof open for a few minutes.
Previous BMW: 2012 550 M-Sport

Last edited by jjsC6; 09-05-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
The G30 AC system is well known to be a POS. There have been several threads going back over two years with many complaints.

Turn it down to 60
Go into the iDrive climate settings and turn the upper level vents to the coldest setting for driver and passenger (not neutral as you are doing)

I live in Houston and am not really kidding. For five months that is mostly why I have to do.

A couple of other suggestions for really hot weather. If the car has been sitting in hot sun, push and hold the door unlock button on the FOB. That makes an amazing difference getting the really hot air out of the car quickly. As soon as I get moving I close all the windows but tilt the sunroof open for a few minutes.
I am in Houston too.
In my other car I leave the temp on 72 and adjust fan speed to 3-4 to cool it down and I can maintain it with just 2 for the rest of the drive.

I will try your suggestions on the drive home today and will report back.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:56 PM

Mein Auto: '17 540xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
AC in hot climate

Quote:

Turn it down to 60

Definitely reset temp air flow to the coldest setting for driver and passenger!

I find fan setting @3 is best for our hot humid NJ summer weather!

Temperature @ 72 can sometimes feel too cold even in my black 2017 540xdrive.

If you're forced to park in a full-sun daytime location use a good reflective sun shade on the windshield.

Yes, opening windows when starting a hot car will help evacuation of hot air while the AC gets colder air cranking.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:57 AM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2017 540xi
Yesterday it was about 71F outside and sunny and the AC had no idea how to handle it, it got so hot I had to put it on Max AC for the duration of my journey. Today it was about 68 degrees and cloudy outside and again the AC had no idea how to handle it, it was dumping hot air into the foot wells. I had it into the dealer once and they did a bunch of stuff for it but they did not do the software update. I'll be glad to turn it in at the end of the lease. If they haven't fixed this by then I'm not leasing another 5er.

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011
2013 X3 35i, Old Fashioned Dealer Delivery, July 2012
2014 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2014

BMWCCA #350568
Old 09-06-2019, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: G30 540
I think it is the design of the new vent system that is on the dash behind the control screen. Unlike past BMWs and my other cars, is now impossible to get any reasonable amount of cool air to blow on your face. It is like a fan in a house - air circulating on you body, even at the same ambient temperature, will cool you down.

Unfortunately, the new vent behind the control screen seems purposely designed to prevent air from directly blowing on your face. You cannot turn it off and have more air blow out of the traditional dash vents. Nice in theory but in practice does not work. I have thought about blocking the vent behind the control screen to try and force more air out of the dash vents.

The new menu for upper body temperature is just plain stupid. What kind of genius thought it would be better to replace a one step simple scroll wheel with a distracting six step menu button??? Dumb.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 540ix
Could we be witnessing the birth of a second mega thread on the G30 AC system?

Nah.

Current BMW

2017 BMW 540ix
Dark Graphite Metallic/Ivory
Prior BMWs
2014 BMW 535ix
Imperial Blue/Beige interior
2011 528i
Cashmere Silver/Black Dakota
2001 530i Sport (deceased)
Cosmos Black
Other
2018 Subaru Legacy 3.6R
1977 Corvette 383 Stroker
Old 09-06-2019, 03:15 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2018 540i
OMG, I can't stand most of the replies. Set it on full auto, 69 degrees, try intensity 3, set "hidden" upper body control to neutral. Also, leave the rear vents open, red/blue dial centered, they have their own fan (even regular 2-zone system, but can't control it manually). Leave it alone for 2 days and see what happens. The G30 HVAC is not a "POS", you just have to use it properly. I am somewhat of an auto HVAC "expert", have had over a dozen cars with them, in addition to parent's cars with auto HVAC from the 60's and 70's. G30 is almost 100% on par with the previous excellent F10.

We've seen from many previous old threads that artificially setting some of the items causes the HVAC to try and over-compensate. Like, do not set upper body temp to full cold, do not artificially set temp to lowest possible temperature. There is no reason to have to set them this way.

Please, try above suggestion and leave it alone for a day and see what happens.

No, I don't live in Houston or Arizona. But DC/MD humidity and temps have been over 100 and 90% this summer -- A/C works about perfectly.

ADD: The only thing I have changed is to very (VERY) slightly close the driver and passenger center vents to direct a small amount more air to the side vents. This small adjustment does not cut the main airflow from the center more than a tad, yet delivers additional air toward the sides.

Current: 2018 540i MSport | Med Blue/Cognac| MSport Brakes | Multi-Contour | HK | ZLP
Prior: 2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather

Last edited by markl53; 09-06-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:49 PM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2017 540xi
I've been driving BMW's since the E39 and this is the first one that doesn't cool properly in certain situations. I have it set correctly. It cools fine when it's 100 out yet can't figure out 70 and it can't detect certain sun angles for thermal load balancing. What can I say, this topic has been beat to death and I have frankly decided that this is a point in the pro column for leasing and a point in the con column for leasing another G30.

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011
2013 X3 35i, Old Fashioned Dealer Delivery, July 2012
2014 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2014

BMWCCA #350568

Last edited by Me530; 09-06-2019 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
OMG, I can't stand most of the replies. Set it on full auto, 69 degrees, try intensity 3, set "hidden" upper body control to neutral. Also, leave the rear vents open, red/blue dial centered, they have their own fan (even regular 2-zone system, but can't control it manually). Leave it alone for 2 days and see what happens. The G30 HVAC is not a "POS", you just have to use it properly. I am somewhat of an auto HVAC "expert", have had over a dozen cars with them, in addition to parent's cars with auto HVAC from the 60's and 70's. G30 is almost 100% on par with the previous excellent F10.

We've seen from many previous old threads that artificially setting some of the items causes the HVAC to try and over-compensate. Like, do not set upper body temp to full cold, do not artificially set temp to lowest possible temperature. There is no reason to have to set them this way.

Please, try above suggestion and leave it alone for a day and see what happens.

No, I don't live in Houston or Arizona. But DC/MD humidity and temps have been over 100 and 90% this summer -- A/C works about perfectly.

ADD: The only thing I have changed is to very (VERY) slightly close the driver and passenger center vents to direct a small amount more air to the side vents. This small adjustment does not cut the main airflow from the center more than a tad, yet delivers additional air toward the sides.
Mark, I generally respect your opinions, but not this time. In two years I have tried what you have said and it simply does not work in Houston's weather. Maybe it's my car, maybe it's me...but it does not work. You have to remember a couple of things.

One is that everyone's tolerance to heat or cold is different. You and I could be sitting in your car side by side at the same time and one of us could say it feels great while the other is uncomfortable.

The other is that Houston has heat and humidity every single day for five months while in Baltimore you might have a few days a year that rival our conditions. Getting the humidity out is a much higher priority. I sweat very easily. Some folks don't. So I have a great need to get the car cooled down quickly. For me, putting the system in full automatic mode with the upper body in neutral or fully cold, and the rear vents open or closed, the highest I can set the temperature in the summer is 65 for me to be comfortable.

Scolding the forum members for not knowing how to use our system is border line an insult. There is a reason there have been many threads complaining about the system.

BTW, I find it hard to believe the rear vents have its own fan. I'm quite sure I've tried and I get greater flow to the front if I close the rear vents, but it's been a while so my memory could be foggy, BUT, it really makes no sense when there is no way to control it. You are saying that if the vents are closed the fan is still running against just those closed vents?

Last edited by jjsC6; 09-07-2019 at 06:21 AM.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
BTW, I find it hard to believe the rear vents have its own fan. I'm quite sure I've tried and I get greater flow to the front if I close the rear vents, but it's been a while so my memory could be foggy, BUT, it really makes no sense when there is no way to control it. You are saying that if the vents are closed the fan is still running against just those closed vents?
When I first got my car, 11/30/2017 (early October 2017 build), there had already been a lot of talk about the HVAC. Maybe my car came with a software update that some people had talked about at that time. I never had any additional updates made, removal of Styrofoam, or anything else.

Anyway, I did some experimenting at the beginning, and found that if I closed the rear vents completely, I noticed there was no additional volume being forced to the front vents. That led me to believe a couple of things. 1) There is a separate duct system to the rear vents and 2) closing those vents does not help with any volume issue to the front vents. In fact, I think by leaving the rear vents open, you help balance out the overall cooling in the cabin.

As for separate fan, I was led to this conclusion partly by #1 above, I am assuming a separate duct. Also, on hot days, upon initial startup, I have often noticed the rear fan blowing air very fast, while the front vents are still coming up to speed, the way they gradually increase fan speed to avoid an initial blast of air to the face. Also, I am pretty sure I recall times when the rear air volume remained higher, even though the front vents had already settled down as the cabin reached the set point.

Current: 2018 540i MSport | Med Blue/Cognac| MSport Brakes | Multi-Contour | HK | ZLP
Prior: 2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Old 09-07-2019, 12:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.4/2013 650ix GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundmaster View Post
I have had the car for about a week now and the AC settings are starting to irritate me.

Currently outside temperature: 100 F and humid.

What I have it on:

Auto + Sync
Temp: 72 F
Auto Fan Intensity: Max

iDrive Climate Settings:
Auto Recirculate: Checked
Upper Body for Driver/Passenger - Neutral

This is what happens...the car starts cooling down, it feels great...cold air is coming through the top vents..then randomly i feel lukewarm air through the dash vents. Now I am like ...do I turn the temp down? How do I get it to blow the same cold air continuously. This feels like when you drive those auto start/stop cars and the ac compressor goes off..

Will going to manual mode help? Am I missing a setting? :dunno:
If ambient temps are in 3 digit territory...there are a few things that I'd set differently.

The first thing I'd change is the dial setting for the dash vents. BMW's stratified air system has confounded owners for decades. I've seen this across multiple models and forums over the years. That dial (the stratification dial) allows the front passengers to "temper the air from the dash vents cooler/warmer. It isn't an extreme temp change but enough to make a difference that can be felt. At temps in the 100į F range...I'm pretty sure most people would probably need to move that dial from neutral...more into the blue area to temper the air from the dash vents to be cooler than norm.

The 2nd thing I'd do is turn off the auto air direction and select dash and FLOOR vent distribution. Having cold air blow from the floor vents can help your legs and feet be cooler (think sticking your feet into a tub of cool water...it can help make you feel cooler. This area of the car is probably already cooler than the upper portions of the car that is getting hammered with thermal radiation due to the sun shining on the dash and upper portions of the seats. The floor is going to be slightly cooler since they are mostly in the shade...thus cooler air from the AC system blowing in this area may "feel" better.

There's also the floor vents that are below the front seats (#7 & #8) & in the B pillars (#9 & #10)...using the floor vents (again) will be blowing air into an area of the car that isn't fighting as much thermal/heat radiation. See diagram below from part database:

If you have 4-zone AC system, then there is a blower/fan for the vents at the rear of the center console for the rear passengers...item #1 in the diagram below is the same part that is grayed out in the diagram above:

Third thing I'd do is learn to use the [b]parked-ventilation/b] feature. If I'm running errands to multiple locations, then I'd be using the immediate ventilation feature when I turn the car off...this will keep ambient air running through the cabin for up to 30 minutes. This will help keep thermal radiation down inside the cabin. I'd rather come back to a car where the cabin air was the same as the ambient air...vs one where the temperature inside the cabin has climbed much higher than the ambient temp from the sun's rays heating up the cabin as it's shining down on the windshield and windows. If parked for longer periods (like work or church or other place where you know what time you'll be returning to the car)...then set a timed event ventilation and set it where the HVAC blower will turn on a good 15 minutes or so before you return to the car...again, reducing the temp inside the cabin by a few degrees. If you dont know what this feature is...see the pic below from my CIC...if you have the NBT or the latest iDrive version...it may look a little different...but the feature to do this should be there under SETTINGS ---> CLIMATE:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1283.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	863713   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1339.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	863715   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1340.JPG
Views:	388
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	863717  
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe` (Black Sapphire) 1/13 mfg date
(SOLD)
97 740iL (Arctic Silver) <<~>> 99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=637911&d=1538398374&thumb=1&stc=1

Last edited by QSilver7; 09-07-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
When I first got my car, 11/30/2017 (early October 2017 build), there had already been a lot of talk about the HVAC. Maybe my car came with a software update that some people had talked about at that time. I never had any additional updates made, removal of Styrofoam, or anything else.

Anyway, I did some experimenting at the beginning, and found that if I closed the rear vents completely, I noticed there was no additional volume being forced to the front vents. That led me to believe a couple of things. 1) There is a separate duct system to the rear vents and 2) closing those vents does not help with any volume issue to the front vents. In fact, I think by leaving the rear vents open, you help balance out the overall cooling in the cabin.

As for separate fan, I was led to this conclusion partly by #1 above, I am assuming a separate duct. Also, on hot days, upon initial startup, I have often noticed the rear fan blowing air very fast, while the front vents are still coming up to speed, the way they gradually increase fan speed to avoid an initial blast of air to the face. Also, I am pretty sure I recall times when the rear air volume remained higher, even though the front vents had already settled down as the cabin reached the set point.
I drove my car twice today and played with the setttings. At this point I agree that the rear vents seem to have no effect on the air blowing out the dash.

I stand by my other comments that the system needs to be run at very low settings, 65 and below. I was telling my wife about this thread tonight. She only drives my car a couple of times a year. She complains bitterly about how bad the A/C system is in it.

Mark, I still do think you are a great asset to this forum and you seem like a great guy. I just disagree with you on this issue. BTW, my car was built in May 2017 and I believe that the first service did have an update for the AC settings. I'm going by a two year old memory. But if it did get an update, it made little or no difference.

Last edited by jjsC6; 09-07-2019 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
I drove my car twice today and played with the setttings. At this point I agree that the rear vents seem to have no effect on the air blowing out the dash.

I stand by my other comments that the system needs to be run at very low settings, 65 and below. I was telling my wife about this thread tonight. She only drives my car a couple of times a year. She complains bitterly about how bad the A/C system is in it.

Mark, I still do think you are a great asset to this forum and you seem like a great guy. I just disagree with you on this issue. BTW, my car was built in May 2017 and I believe that the first service did have an update for the AC settings. I'm going by a two year old memory. But if it did get an update, it made little or no difference.
Well, for sure, people seem to have different operational characteristics with their individual cars it seems. I still think my previous F10's had the best A/C system in any car I've owned. There was so much negative talk on the G30 originally, I did an additional test drive that summer on a super hot day, and that black demo car sat in the sun for a good 30 minutes before we left the lot. Anyway, I'm just sorry people continue to have issues.

Have to tell you, you may recall that we leased a Giulia for my wife about 4 months ago. There are actually some operational similarities in some of the controls and operation to our BMW's. The A/C in that car is excellent, I must say.

Thanks for the supportive words regarding the forum. I haven't posted as much lately, and I do find I get a little terse at times -- I'll try to be better!

Old 09-08-2019, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Well, for sure, people seem to have different operational characteristics with their individual cars it seems. I still think my previous F10's had the best A/C system in any car I've owned. There was so much negative talk on the G30 originally, I did an additional test drive that summer on a super hot day, and that black demo car sat in the sun for a good 30 minutes before we left the lot. Anyway, I'm just sorry people continue to have issues.

Have to tell you, you may recall that we leased a Giulia for my wife about 4 months ago. There are actually some operational similarities in some of the controls and operation to our BMW's. The A/C in that car is excellent, I must say.

Thanks for the supportive words regarding the forum. I haven't posted as much lately, and I do find I get a little terse at times -- I'll try to be better!
My conversation last night with my wife was while we were driving the BMW to dinner. I found myself actually defending the BMW, explaining to her that you just have to know the quirks of how to set the damn thing. Her response was to tell me how good her Lexus GX 460 is. That is actually music to my ears. I spent years buying her vehicles that I like,, and finally figured how how to buy what she likes.

Mark, I appreciate your knowledge and passion. I actually think that we are a lot alike....well, except that I donít like to read as much as you do. Iím too ADD. But I did read the.Mueller report
Old 09-08-2019, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2019 540iX
completely agree, this system is drastically different from my previous BMWs and I'm not a "fan" - air is rarely cooled sufficiently and i'm constantly monkeying with it. very annoying. leave certain things well enough alone - if it ain't broke, don't "fix" it
Old 09-09-2019, 07:32 AM

I used the following settings on saturday and on my drive to work this morning:
Auto + Sync
Temp: 68F
Auto Fan Intensity: 3
Upper Body for Driver/Passenger - Max Blue

It felt pretty comfortable but you can definitely tell the car is still messing with the upper vents temperature based on driving conditions. There's some kind of weird programming to maximize MPG by constantly fluctuating the AC system.

The Acura MDX I had, I just left it on 75 during the summer and 68 during the winter. Didn't have to adjust anything. I was always comfortable. The 911, I leave it on 72 temp and manually adjust the fan speed. 90% of the time, it's just at 2. I increase it to 3-4 during startup. Audi A6, same thing...72 and auto...comfortable.

I have a feeling I will be messing with this AC for 3 years. Lord, save me.

Last edited by Soundmaster; 09-09-2019 at 07:34 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: audi a4
The AC system in this car is horrible. I dont use Auto any longer and just set it to manual. it kinda works. i probably wont buy another BMW after experiencing these problems with AC. This is the first time ive had a car that has had AC problems. and this is my first BMW.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:53 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 540i; 428 GC; 340i 6MT
I have 55,000 miles on my 2017. There were some issues at first, but after the system was reprogrammed, I have had no complaints. True, Boston isn't Houston, but we did have some 100+ degree days here this summer, and I found the system to be fine. Things that help for me:
  • Car is in Auto mode pretty much 100% of the time;
  • Temp is set t0 68 in the summer. Both y F10's were kept at 70. No biggie.
  • Blend wheel in iDrive is set to Neutral. There was a lot of discussion on this in 2017. The general concensus was that if you had the blend wheel too blue, the syustem would dump hot air into the footwells.
  • I have the Auto fan setting at 4. Note that this setting impacts the maximum speed the system will run the fan. Once the cabin gets to the proper temp, the fan slows down. And even at 4, the fan is much quieter than the Cadillac CTS I had a a rental when my car was in for body work.
  • I use the timer to precondition (cool) the cabin when the car is parked outdoors, e.g. at the commuter rail.
  • I use Max A/C when I first get in the car
  • I have my ventillated seats programmed to come on automatically when the ambient temp is above 75.
I don't dispute that some owners have complaints. But "they don't all do that." And Dougie may correct me but I think that part of the reason BMWAG didn't leave well enough alone is that they can no longer use the same refrigerant as the E and F model series.
2016 428 GC MSport

Prior BMW's
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic

Last edited by quackbury; 09-09-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
I used the following settings on saturday and on my drive to work this morning:
Auto + Sync
Temp: 68F
Auto Fan Intensity: 3
Upper Body for Driver/Passenger - Max Blue

It felt pretty comfortable but you can definitely tell the car is still messing with the upper vents temperature based on driving conditions. There's some kind of weird programming to maximize MPG by constantly fluctuating the AC system.

The Acura MDX I had, I just left it on 75 during the summer and 68 during the winter. Didn't have to adjust anything. I was always comfortable. The 911, I leave it on 72 temp and manually adjust the fan speed. 90% of the time, it's just at 2. I increase it to 3-4 during startup. Audi A6, same thing...72 and auto...comfortable.

I have a feeling I will be messing with this AC for 3 years. Lord, save me.
BMW cabin thermostats seem to run warmer -- every BMW I've owned, since 2005 330i, I keep at 68 or 69, whereas for most other cars, 71 or 72 is comfort zone for me.

A/C should not be fluctuating at all noticeably -- are you in eco-pro mode? That is the only mode that modulates the A/C compressor to maximize fuel economy.

Suggest not leaving the upper body temp at full blue - this will cause adverse effects noted in older threads, by overcompensating and possibly sending warm air to the floor (as per quackbury's recent add above).

Apologies in advance, but you do know how to work the auto fan? BMW uses "intensity" ranges, the 5 fan speed boxes you see in auto mode. The fan will change speeds within a range (display will not move), and these ranges allow you to target generally lower-to-higher overall fan speeds the system will use. In summer I generally use range 3, in winter, more often use 2. For people who generally like more overall air flow, range 4 or 5 keeps fan higher than lower ranges. In very hot or cold cabin startups in summer or winter, the fan will temporarily exceed the range limit to provide faster cooling/heating, then will "honor" the zone maximum fan speed. Say there are 12 individual fan speeds. Range 1 may use speeds 1 through 6, range 2 may use 3 through 8, and so on (these are just examples, these may not be the actual speeds used in these ranges).

When you say you control the fan manually, it is necessary to push the "Auto" button to get out of full auto (green LED off). You are then in full manual. When they introduced the ranges, around 2006, it is no longer possible to manually control the fan separately and leave the rest of the system in auto.

Last edited by markl53; 09-09-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:00 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
The boiling points of HFO-1234yf and R-134 are nearly the same, -30C versus -26C
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
BMW cabin thermostats seem to run warmer -- every BMW I've owned, since 2005 330i, I keep at 68 or 69, whereas for most other cars, 71 or 72 is comfort zone for me.

A/C should not be fluctuating at all noticeably -- are you in eco-pro mode? That is the only mode that modulates the A/C compressor to maximize fuel economy.

Suggest not leaving the upper body temp at full blue - this will cause adverse effects noted in older threads, by overcompensating and possibly sending warm air to the floor (as per quackbury's recent add above).

Apologies in advance, but you do know how to work the auto fan? BMW uses "intensity" ranges, the 5 fan speed boxes you see in auto mode. The fan will change speeds within a range (display will not move), and these ranges allow you to target generally lower-to-higher overall fan speeds the system will use. In summer I generally use range 3, in winter, more often use 2. For people who generally like more overall air flow, range 4 or 5 keeps fan higher than lower ranges. In very hot or cold cabin startups in summer or winter, the fan will temporarily exceed the range limit to provide faster cooling/heating, then will "honor" the zone maximum fan speed. Say there are 12 individual fan speeds. Range 1 may use speeds 1 through 6, range 2 may use 3 through 8, and so on (these are just examples, these may not be the actual speeds used in these ranges).

When you say you control the fan manually, it is necessary to push the "Auto" button to get out of full auto (green LED off). You are then in full manual. When they introduced the ranges, around 2006, it is no longer possible to manually control the fan separately and leave the rest of the system in auto.
Nope, the green led is on to indicate system is in full auto.
And yes I learned the fan speed in auto is more of a maximum allowable setting. I have it on 3. I am okay with the car taking a few minutes to cool down.

I will change the upper body setting back to neutral but keep temp at 68.

I am in comfort mode. I don't know what's causing the air coming through to fluctuate in temp. Feeling that lukewarm air on your body feels weird.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 535d
If this helps anyone, I'll try to give my $.02: "weak" cooling in my f10 gets better by turning off recirculation. It just blows cold air at higher volumes for some reason.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 BMW 530e
Quote:
Nope, the green led is on to indicate system is in full auto.
And yes I learned the fan speed in auto is more of a maximum allowable setting. I have it on 3. I am okay with the car taking a few minutes to cool down.

I will change the upper body setting back to neutral but keep temp at 68.

I am in comfort mode. I don't know what's causing the air coming through to fluctuate in temp. Feeling that lukewarm air on your body feels weird.
I keep it similar to yours in our hot Texas weather. Fan on 3 and temp at 67. It works for me!

Last edited by HugH; 09-11-2019 at 07:00 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)
Today's Posts Search