Please help with AC settings - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)

G30 (2017 - Current)
The next generation 5 Series, chassis code G30, arrives at dealers in February 2017. Looking like a scaled down 7 Series and riding on the CLAR platform, the new 5 Series will have a focus on lightweight and sporty performance. Engines options will come from BMW's new B family for the 530 and 540 and a turbocharged V8 for the M550i. Read more about the 2017 5 Series

Old 09-10-2019, 04:20 PM
Glaird

Mein Auto: F10-'16 550i, F82-'18 M4
I'm not going to bother with the string of threads.
I have an F10 550 & 2019 440. Both so called 'auto' A/C systems stink. My old 1977 Ford, with the single lever that went from blue to red, worked better at stabilizing the interior environment than all the buttons, settings, and dribble in the BMW owner's manual.
We have found, the vertical dial, dead center on the dash, under the center vent, pretty much sets the air temperature. Dial blue for cold. Dial red for hot. The numerical setting, seems to be a helpful adjunct, to the above basic device. Between the 2, we can find and keep the interior at a comfortable setting, regardless of what is going on outside. Direct vanes in vents, fan number, and on/off seat ventilation for finer comfort.
The manual does warn not to fiddle frequently with said controls, or the system will oscillate indefinitely.

Last edited by Glaird; 09-10-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2019, 04:26 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
I have found peace with the AC for now.
Temp between 68-70.
Auto, Synced
Upper vent temp - neutral
rear manual temp dial - neutral
auto fan speed - 3

This is what I have used the last two days and I am learning to adapt to it. This is a classic example of overdoing the controls.
Also I got ceramic tint installed (except the windshield) and it's cooled the car down considerably.

Now if I am figuring how to stop the damn auto dimming from constantly changing the brightness of the screen...
Old 09-10-2019, 04:38 PM
Glaird

Mein Auto: F10-'16 550i, F82-'18 M4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundmaster View Post
I have found peace with the AC for now.
T
Also I got ceramic tint installed (except the windshield) and it's cooled the car down considerably.

Now if I am figuring how to stop the damn auto dimming from constantly changing the brightness of the screen...
I forgot to mention that we have tinted both cars, because whomever is on the sun side of the car, would get roasted. I'm told it is due to NY state regs, that all cars are shipped w/o any tint at all.

As I recall, been a year since we picked up the 440, the auto dimming is buried in the iDrive settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2019, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 540i XDrive M Sport
I have basically gravitated to three main variations:
My default setting is Auto/69/auto fan 3/Sync/rear vents open (variation 1).
On hot days (Chicago summer 85-90+), when I first get in the car I just hit Max AC (variation 2). Takes about 5-7 mins to get car comfortable. Then I hit Auto to bring up the default Auto setting, then immediately hit Auto again to turn off Auto and go to manual (variation 3).
The only difference between Auto and my manual setting is that the only vents that I select are the middle vents (fan speed is about "middle" as well). I think this is is the middle line in the air flow/vent selection pictogram. Only that middle line is lit. I found this blows a nice amount of cold air at my torso and arms, which has a really good cooling effect. I adjust the left window vent and left center vent towards my body (normally they are tilted away from me as I don't like air blowing in my face and drying my eyes). When I feel cool enough, I go back to Auto. I do find that on hot and sunny days (when the direct sun is heating up the cabin), I tend to stay in manual most of the time as Auto does not keep it cool enough at my body, even if I turn the temp down.

I do not have tinted windows, but I do have ivory seats, which probably helps a tiny bit.

I came out of an F10 into the G30, and there is definitely a difference in how the AC system functions for cooling between the two. Heating is great. I would love for the BMW engineers to explain what changed between the two models. Towards the end of 2017 I got a survey from BMW that was only about the HVAC system functions and, more importantly, user expectations, so my guess is they knew what they were getting with the new design and are trying to balance it out after the fact. If it is a freon/coolant issue, it would be interesting to see how well they do with subsequent new models, such as the 8GC and the upcoming new 7 series.

Regardless, I have found a system that works for me and I have put it behind me.

What I can't get over though is the joke they call ventilated seats. I cannot for the life of me feel any air movement coming out of the seats, let alone cool air. I get that they are not called "cooled" seats. But, when I travel in the Southeast and get a rental Ford Mustang that I have to turn from highest to lowest setting on the cooled seats because they get TOO COLD, that tells me that BMW either mis-designed or mis-engineered the ventilation feature. And yes, I get you can turn on both the heated seat function and the ventilation function at the same time to...blow hot air???...which you cannot do in a car with cooled seats, but the heated seats are so darn good I could never imagine having to blow warm air vs the bigger need for cooling in the summer.

Current -
2017 540i xDrive, Black Sapphire Metallic, Ivory White Nappa, CW Pkg, DA Pkg, DA+ Pkg, Lux Seating Pkg, M Sport Pkg, Prem Pkg, IAS Pkg, Power Tailgate, Apple CP, HK Sound, ED + PCD.

Previous -
2014 528i xDrive, Luxury Line
2015 328i xDrive, Base

Last edited by Basementman; 09-10-2019 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: See Sig
Raise your hand if you see the irony to having a discussion about how to set the various settings for the "Auto" temperature control to work best.
Previous BMW: 2012 550 M-Sport
Old 09-11-2019, 07:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 BMW i3
We have several automobiles.
An electric i3, a 2002 Suburban at the Buena Vista, Colorado airport.
And a CNG Honduras with automatic temperature control.
A 2007 Cirrus SR22 TN.

The electric i3, Suburban, and Honda, work their tails off at making a hot car comfortable in Oklahoma City heat.
Our 2008 BMW X5 Diesel, not so much.

Any suggestions?

We have tried many different suggestions. It will sometimes cool with great enthusiasm.
Usually, it is very lethargic.

Any software updates? Secret Settings?

I will tell you how bad this is. Even the airplane has better colling than the BMW.

The dealer says that it is working as designed.
They gave me a loaner 2019 X3 to drive, while they looked at ours.
The X3 had great air conditioning.

I must be an idiot and doing something wrong.
Please help, being an idiot is not very comfortable for me.

Ask me about the Blind Spot System?
Old 09-12-2019, 03:40 AM

Mein Auto:
iím driving my first BMW, and I agree with the other posters who said that the AC system operates very differently from the systems in other brands. Having said that, I have been able to keep comfortable by setting the automatic temperature 4-5 degrees lower than where I would have set it on previous cars. So my typical range would be between 64 and 68. If I feel the need to get more air I keep lowering the temperature until the system starts blowing enough cold air to keep me happy. Iím not sure if this is the way the system is intended to be operated but it seems to work for me. I generally keep the fan setting on the highest choice and set the upper body temperature to blow the coldest.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: '17 GTI '16 981 CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
Raise your hand if you see the irony to having a discussion about how to set the various settings for the "Auto" temperature control to work best.
+1

I have no horse in this race, but when someone writes (in posts above) "I made my peace with it", "when you finally learn it" and similar - it might be the right time to offer a no-cost option of fully manual AC, together with a fully manual transmission. First one to retain car's functionality, second for fun only.

I own currently two vehicles, both were ordered with manual AC control. On purpose - no, not because threads about G30, BMW's "Auto AC" sucked badly even in E92. Oh, yes, they were also ordered without automatic windshield wipers, another thing in E92 that sucked badly at being automatic.

Finally, we are all different and we will never be all happy about the programming/software of our automatic features. Not providing full manual override is direct slap to the customer's face with a note that says "Your 2% do not matter, the other 98% are happy". Of course, insert the percentages as you believe them to be true.

Happy motoring, everybody!

2017 Golf GTI |Silver over tartan cloth| MT| Base S, no options. Oh, wait! ... It does have a spare tire!

2016 981 Cayman S | 6-speed MT| Active suspension | Sport Exhaust System | Torque vectoring (with LSD) | Sport seats + | Sport design steering wheel

2013 VW Golf TDI [CONFISCATED]

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010) [SOLD]
Old 09-12-2019, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 530e
I agree that the system in this car is terrible. The purpose of auto-climate control is to bring the car up/down to the set temp... and maintain it. The G30 can't accomplish this. In fact, I've NEVER (in any of the dozens of cars I've owned) had to adjust a climate control system like this just to stay comfortable. I've had manual systems that I've rarely had to touch other than for temporary quick cooling when starting off. In this car, I'm adjusting temp, fan speed, air direction, etc (multiple times) on every trip to stay comfortable.

I had a 1973 Ford LTD Country Squire that had auto climate control and we only adjusted the temp lever 2x a year: Winter/Summer. In muggy hot NYC. Same with my 1984 K-car... set it, forget it. My better half had a Chevy Volt and then a Chevy Bolt and BOTH were set at 72 year round and no matter what the outside temp, the car was comfortable. Same with the two E-Class I owned before the G30. Feels like an over-engineered, over-complicated system with too many controls that can't accomplish it's primary objective: maintaining the set temperature.

Big issues for me:
  1. Virtually NO airflow to outer dash vents without adjusting the center damper dials. And if you find an adjustment that evens out both sides, the center damper's design (just look in the vent with a flashlight as you adjust) forces air down so it's almost impossible to direct it up to the face using the vanes.
  2. I find myself CONSTANTLY adjusting the fan speed to stay cool. Put it on high, it just stays there and I can't hear music/conversations.
  3. It seems the only way to cool the car is to just leave it on MAX AC and then eventually lower the fan speed 1 or 2 levels.
  4. Little airflow to face no matter how the vents are adjusted.

Things I've tried:
  1. Upper register settings at both neutral and all cold.
  2. Shutting off the back seat registers to increase airflow up front.
  3. Keeping the windows cracked and sunroof tilted open to keep car cooler and driving with windows down for a min until the excess heat is gone.
  4. Using max ac until the car is comfortable, and then returning to 68-70F at medium fan speed (It can't maintain the temp when it's 80F out let alone 100F without keeping the fan at it's highest setting... so much for a quiet ride.
  5. Mentioned it to dealer who chuckled and said "oh yeah, we hear this from everyone with the latest 5-series. I don't know what they did this time around. We'll check your car but we tell everyone to set the temp to LO all the time in the summer"

Last edited by jmatero; 09-13-2019 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i sport
I feel the same way. The AC was horrible to deal with this summer and never did it auto adjust the fan up high enough. It also doesnít start up quick enough upon engine start. My 36k Subaru does a better job.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 09-14-2019, 06:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 M550i
I've never not been able to get my M550's AC to do what I want it to do.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:47 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2018 540i
If I could do some "office visits" I would. No system is 100% perfect, sun comes in windows focused on a driver or passenger occasionally, etc. I would like to experience first-hand the people who are finding the need for constant adjustments. Hope you can find your way to some satisfaction.

Current: 2018 540i MSport | Med Blue/Cognac| MSport Brakes | Multi-Contour | HK | ZLP
Prior: 2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather
Old 09-14-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
If I could do some "office visits" I would. No system is 100% perfect, sun comes in windows focused on a driver or passenger occasionally, etc. I would like to experience first-hand the people who are finding the need for constant adjustments. Hope you can find your way to some satisfaction.
I've owned a heck of a lot of four wheel vehicles. I think I'm at 70. I would guess that at least half of them had automatic temperature control. You are right, none are perfect. But this is the only one I recall that took more than just turning the temperature up or down to get what I wanted.

Mark, do you ever wonder if the rest of us are either too stupid to own a BMW, or maybe we are actually right
Old 09-14-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Hope you can find your way to some satisfaction.
Me too. BMW service can't seem to help. Multiple dealers have told me the same thing. Functioning as designed. And when they all smile and say "yup, we hear it all the time. Just use LO and control the airflow manually... it's the only way to keep these cool" you have to wonder...
Old 09-15-2019, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 M550i
Quote:
Mark, do you ever wonder if the rest of us are either too stupid to own a BMW, or maybe we are actually right
Just because a machine does not operate the way other machines do doesn't mean it doesn't operate effectively. Now, if one keeps attempting to operate it as one has past machines...
Old 09-15-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moewron View Post
Just because a machine does not operate the way other machines do doesn't mean it doesn't operate effectively. Now, if one keeps attempting to operate it as one has past machines...
Every other car I've driven with auto climate control:
Step 1: Set dial to desired temp.
Step 2: Done.

G30:
Step 1: Set dial to desired temp.
Step 2: Wait, sweat.
Step 3: Lower temp because it's still too hot.
Step 4: Wait, get frustrated.
Step 5: Adjust registers to try to get cool air on sweating face.
Step 6: Give up and leave it on Max AC.
Step 7: Blast radio to drown out fan noise.
Step 8: Shut rear seat vents to get more cool air up front.
Step 9: Hear kids screaming in back seat "it's hot back here!"
Step 10: Get mad and shout "this is supposed to be a luxury car???"

If this is the user experience this system was designed to provide, they achieved their goal.

Last edited by jmatero; 09-15-2019 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
No! I'm curious how some are differing from mine. Early builds had many complaints.

As the poster laments above, I set the dial and "done". Never touch it. I don't wait, I don't sweat, I don't close the rear vents (does not cause more airflow to the front anyway), I don't use max AC. I am not in a cool zone, temps in MD were frequently above 95, with 90% humidity for days in a row, with hot sun. I might be a lucky one. I stated before it is not 100% equal to the "perfect" F10 HVAC, but close.

How many with issues are parking outside? I will say that my car is parked in my home garage, and I am garaged at work. I do park in blazing sun at times, and of course, it takes a few minutes longer at that time, but on auto intensity 3, the fan blasts higher (by itself) for the first few minutes and the cool-down is pretty quick. Even then I don't use, or require, max AC setting.

Current: 2018 540i MSport | Med Blue/Cognac| MSport Brakes | Multi-Contour | HK | ZLP
Prior: 2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim

Last edited by markl53; 09-15-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
I don't close the rear vents (does not cause more airflow to the front anyway)
I don't have 4-season system, so manual controls in the back and no blower so closing the two vents in the rear substantially increases the amount of air coming out of the front registers. If you have 4-season, you have a dedicated rear blower.

Last edited by jmatero; 09-16-2019 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:54 PM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2017 540xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatero View Post
I don't have 4-season system, so manual controls in the back and no blower so closing the two vents in the rear substantially increases the amount of air coming out of the front registers. If you have 4-season, you have a dedicated rear blower.
4 Zone system is not normally available in the USA unless you find a dealer doing special order.

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011
2013 X3 35i, Old Fashioned Dealer Delivery, July 2012
2014 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2014

BMWCCA #350568
Old 09-16-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatero View Post
I have the standard system. As I noted above, I did some experimenting and came to the conclusion that it has it's own (not accessible) fan and duct. On mine, even when the rear vents are blowing hard, closing them does not result in higher volume from the front vents.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moewron View Post
You seem to have missed the point. I've had the car for over two years and have tried everything humanly possible on this car to optimize how it works.

But the point in my last couple of posts has been about it not working the way it should in in automatic mode. If I've owned 35 vehicles with auto climate control, they really should work the same. Setting them all to 72 should work the same in all vehicles. Get me to 72 as quickly as possible then maintain it.

I have to set it to 60 for it to get me as cool as my wife's Lexus gets me when it is set at 76, and the BMW takes much longer to get it to that point even set at 60.

What part of "Automatic" is one of us missing?
Old 09-16-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
No! I'm curious how some are differing from mine. Early builds had many complaints.

As the poster laments above, I set the dial and "done". Never touch it. I don't wait, I don't sweat, I don't close the rear vents (does not cause more airflow to the front anyway), I don't use max AC. I am not in a cool zone, temps in MD were frequently above 95, with 90% humidity for days in a row, with hot sun. I might be a lucky one. I stated before it is not 100% equal to the "perfect" F10 HVAC, but close.

How many with issues are parking outside? I will say that my car is parked in my home garage, and I am garaged at work. I do park in blazing sun at times, and of course, it takes a few minutes longer at that time, but on auto intensity 3, the fan blasts higher (by itself) for the first few minutes and the cool-down is pretty quick. Even then I don't use, or require, max AC setting.
Until I retired eight months ago, my car sat outside at work all day long. Everything inside the car heats up to whatever the inside air temperature gets to. I think that can get to 110-120 for five straight months in Houston...everyday unless it rains.

That means the foam in the seats, carpet and insulation under the carpet...everything gets to those temps. Simply leaving a window cracked open can make a very noticeable difference. But we can't do that in Houston because there is some chance of rain every day in Houston due to humidity coming in off the Gulf of Mexico.

I have to admit that right now it seems to work great. But I'm driving it from the garage and it's only parked for 20-30 minutes when I'm in a store. And I'm able to only drive it most of the time when there is no rain in the area, so I tilt the sunroof up. Have I mentioned that retirement is awesome?

Last edited by jjsC6; 09-16-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto:
This thread is definitely giving me some cause for concern. My MY2020 530e should be here in a few weeks and we get some very annoying hot and humid days here in the Delaware Valley....

If I can't get the car comfortable... I might have to visit a dealer for a test drive where I just test out the AC...
Old 09-16-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
This thread is definitely giving me some cause for concern. My MY2020 530e should be here in a few weeks and we get some very annoying hot and humid days here in the Delaware Valley....

If I can't get the car comfortable... I might have to visit a dealer for a test drive where I just test out the AC...
I did that before I ordered my 2018 540i. Go to your dealer, let a demo sit outside in the sun for a while. Then take it out for a spin, leaving it on full auto, fan intensity 3, set to 69 degrees, upper body temp control set to neutral position, rear vents full open, and see what happens. After the drive, I determined it may not quite have been as perfect as my current F10 at the time, but pretty close. As I have noted a few times (sorry), mine has worked fine and keeps the car cool.

I think some algorithm changes were made after the initial builds received complaints. My 540i was built in October 2017. I have never had any software updates performed, or any other A/C dealer modification (removal of Styrofoam, etc - see old threads). I have stated that I very slightly close the center vents (via the vent wheels) to direct a little more air to the side vents.

Last edited by markl53; 09-16-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:20 AM

Mein Auto: M550ix
MAX AC works for me when its really hot. I use that first, then reduce the fan speed accordingly. All of my BMWs have been like that. If you don't use MAX it is very hard to cool down the car on hot days.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)
Today's Posts Search