2013 35i Water Pump Strange Behavior - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 09-07-2019, 11:49 AM

Mein Auto:
2013 35i Water Pump Strange Behavior

So I've been searching around about this for a month now. I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up just changing the water pump/tstat/expansion tank, but I need to understand what's happening to be satisfied(airline mechanic).

Short version: car is overheating. In ISTA, the water pump shows 255rpm and 205*C no matter if the car is cold or hot(short in pump?).

Long version: Very first sympton was low coolant. I topped it up and thought nothing of it. This may have been when the tank first split. Soon after, the fan starting going to 100% like it was going to take off. After a week or two of that, the first overheat/limp mode instsance occured. Vehicle has been sitting in the garage since then. The tstat consistently opens at 105 and I'll see fluid start coming into the expansion tank, but temp keeps climbing to 118+ and expansion tank overflows. Last night I ran the car and left the cap on and coolant ended up all over the garage floor. I assume the tank opened up more on the bottom. The fan was working, engine coolant temp was reading 112+, water pump temp was 205 and 255rpm. But after I let the car cool off for 4-5 hours, it was still reading 205* and 255rpm. No error codes related to cooling system.

What's the deal here??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2019, 11:52 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
The Electric Coolant Pump speed is commanded by a Pulse Width Modulated signal from the Engine Control Unit. The ECP is a Brush-Less Direct Current - BLDC motor. So is the fan. The thermostat is a mapped electrically heated thermostat.

Functional description. Including I think a pictorial of the cooling system layout.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...oling/F7kt8r2W

Schematic wiring diagram
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...oling/CkYajpf4
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 09-07-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
The Electric Coolant Pump speed is commanded by a Pulse Width Modulated signal from the Engine Control Unit. The ECP is a Brush-Less Direct Current - BLDC motor. So is the fan. The thermostat is a mapped electrically heated thermostat.

Functional description. Including I think a pictorial of the cooling system layout.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...oling/F7kt8r2W

Schematic wiring diagram
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...oling/CkYajpf4
Thanks for the links. They are extremely informative. Fuses are good according to it.

So as I understand it, the computer tells the pump at what speed to run. But why is the pump reporting back 255rpm and 205*C? That functional description says the pump's temperature only reads up to 130*C.

Also, triggering the pump in ISTA does nothing. The fan triggers fine, but nothing happens when I click to trigger the pump. But it says it's running at max values.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2019, 12:31 PM
Nuclear engineer

Have you reason to believe that this your implementation of ISTA is correct? Have you seen it indicate these parameters correctly?
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Have you reason to believe that this your implementation of ISTA is correct? Have you seen it indicate these parameters correctly?
I wondered about this. I just installed it in response to this problem arising. It works correctly with my E46 and all other functions seem to work correctly on the E70 so I assumed it was not the ISTA at fault here. I have another F25 that I could test it on to make sure.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:50 PM
Nuclear engineer

200įC is about 400įF and very unlikely in a functioning internal combustion engine.

Old 09-07-2019, 01:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
The fan running at high rate is a sign of failing water pump on the N55.
You donít state how many miles on the car or if itís the original pump.

Based on reports here it seems to be a 60 to 80k miles thing.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

Old 09-08-2019, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
The fan running at high rate is a sign of failing water pump on the N55.
You donít state how many miles on the car or if itís the original pump.

Based on reports here it seems to be a 60 to 80k miles thing.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest
Thanks. I tend to agree. I'll be ordering the pump kit here soon. It's the original and the vehicle has 87k miles.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: '06 530xi 6sp, '09 X5 3.0
You need the pump, the thermostat, the U-hose that connects the thermostat to the water pump, a gallon of BMW coolant and a gallon of distilled water. That U-hse will be one PITA to change later and the rest of the hoses are less of a pain should they fail later. You may need a tad bit more coolant, but I wouldn't buy more than a gallon until you do the work. Since you don't have the N52 engine, I don't think you need new bolts.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0L
You will need three new aluminum bolts for the pump/thermostat. The FCP kit should have them.

2001 X5 3.0L

2013 X5 xDrive35i
Old 09-08-2019, 01:27 PM

Mein Auto: '06 530xi 6sp, '09 X5 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu95 View Post
You will need three new aluminum bolts for the pump/thermostat. The FCP kit should have them.
I don't believe the N54 uses aluminum bolts...only the N52 does.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search