G30 BMW 5 Series technical training docs - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)

G30 (2017 - Current)
The next generation 5 Series, chassis code G30, arrives at dealers in February 2017. Looking like a scaled down 7 Series and riding on the CLAR platform, the new 5 Series will have a focus on lightweight and sporty performance. Engines options will come from BMW's new B family for the 530 and 540 and a turbocharged V8 for the M550i. Read more about the 2017 5 Series

Old 12-29-2016, 11:06 AM
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: Various
G30 BMW 5 Series technical training docs

BMW g30 5 series technical training docs

If you're wondering how the new 5 Series works and are craving more info then the BMW press release and reviews can offer we've got the ticket for you. These BMW G30 technical training documents are used for dealership technician training, so they go very deep on how the 5 works.

There is a wealth of interesting tidbits about the new 5 in the documents. If you find something that stands out in the docs post it below!

About the all new BMW G30 BMW 5 Series
The all-new BMW 5 Series has been entirely newly developed allowing for a significant weight loss of up to 137 lbs with the use of aluminum, magnesium, and high-strength steel. Thanks to the available state of the art chassis systems including Dynamic Damper Control with Adaptive Mode and Integral Active Steering, now combinable with xDrive, BMW's intelligent all-wheel drive system, Driver Assistance Systems and Parking Assistance Systems, the all-new BMW 5 Series once more defines the athletic and executive design of a true sport sedan. Featuring a new user interface (iDrive 6.0) including an 8.8" Dynamic Digital Instrument Cluster, available Gesture Control, the latest generation of Head-Up Display, Remote 3D View and an improved Voice Control with natural voice input, the 2017 BMW 5 Series marks a new era of personalized connectivity. The BMW 5 Series is the most innovative BMW 5 Series to date, with BMW's latest Advanced Driver Assistance Systems clearing the way towards semi-automated driving.

The first ever BMW M550i xDrive is also the first M Performance model to be powered by a specifically modified M Performance TwinPower Turbo 4.4 liter 8cylinder engine. This V8 unit is equipped with two twin-scroll turbochargers and features a High Precision Injection system, Valvetronic fully variable valve lift and Double-VANOS variable camshaft timing control. This technology adds up to an output of 456 hp at 5,500 rpm and peak torque of 480 lb-ft from just 1,800 rpm (preliminary power numbers) propelling the BMW M550i xDrive from 0 to 60 mph in under 4.0 seconds and then on to an electronically limited top speed of 155 mph.

Read more about the G30 5 Series

BMW G30 5 Series Technical Training Documents

Last edited by tim330i; 12-29-2016 at 11:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2016, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: BMW,G38
Thanks for sharing
Old 12-31-2016, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: z4/i3/340i
Looks like the us will only get the low end 8.8" instruments cluster, as well as only the low end ac controls. Puzzling decision given that e.g. Audi already offers full digital instruments and touchscreen ac in the a4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2017, 02:13 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Test Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by tschmidt View Post
Looks like the us will only get the low end 8.8" instruments cluster, as well as only the low end ac controls. Puzzling decision given that e.g. Audi already offers full digital instruments and touchscreen ac in the a4.
I personally prefer physical buttons to the touch in the G12. Also, there is only the rare occasion that I really need 4-zone control in such a confined space.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: z4/i3/340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
I personally prefer physical buttons to the touch in the G12. Also, there is only the rare occasion that I really need 4-zone control in such a confined space.
I agree about preferring physical buttons to touch screens. But historically BMWs step-down clusters and controls have felt visibly cheap compared to their higher end counterparts. The big benefit of their 4 zones hvac in hot climates is that the back gets extra outlets and blowers. In my experience that makes a big difference if you have kids in the back regularly.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2018 M550i; 2017 X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tschmidt View Post
I agree about preferring physical buttons to touch screens. But historically BMWs step-down clusters and controls have felt visibly cheap compared to their higher end counterparts. The big benefit of their 4 zones hvac in hot climates is that the back gets extra outlets and blowers. In my experience that makes a big difference if you have kids in the back regularly.
Agreed.

The F10 dropped the 4-zone HVAC sometime around the LCI change. It was still offers on the hybrid but only available on the mainline US cars through a special order if you had a dealer willing to play along. I really like having the option in my car.

Current

2018 M550i Med. Blue|Cognac Dakota|Cold Weather Pkg|DA|DA+|Exec Pkg|Parking Assist|759i 20"|Rear Sun Shade|Remote Control Park|CarPlay|Rear Ent|B&W Sound|Night Vision|Gesture Control
2017 X5 35i Space Grey|Canberra Beige|Cold Weather|DA|DA+|Lux Seating|Premium Pkg|DDC+Rear Axle Air suspension|Soft-close|Rear Shade|Park Assist|HK Sound|

Past

2014 535dx
2013 X5 35i
2007 530i/6
2002 X5 4.4i
2000 540i/6
1999 M Roadster
1989 535iA
1984 533i/5
1983 533i/5
1977 530i/4
Old 01-01-2017, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: E300, 535i + others
4 zone a/c is a must for the "good" car where it is used on every trip 12 months of the year.

I seem to hit
every light red.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImolaRedM View Post
Agreed.

The F10 dropped the 4-zone HVAC sometime around the LCI change. It was still offers on the hybrid but only available on the mainline US cars through a special order if you had a dealer willing to play along. I really like having the option in my car.
I have rear screens and a 30% all around + 70% windshield nano-ceramic tint. That helps with HVAC as well. I do like the ability to change fan speed in the rear, but do not necessarily need four thermostats. The ECE F10's / F11's come with 4NB; not sure why NA market does not. I have the ceramic controls and like them.

I admittedly am very BMW-biased, so do not know much about the competition.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:57 AM
*Witty short comment here

Mein Auto: Nothing
So, would e-net cable work with G30?
Old 01-02-2017, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmfm View Post
yes. and rolls royce & mini. just not e-series
Old 02-02-2017, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i 6-speed, Nav
Fun! The navigation info tells all about Park Now. Found out I could park near the senior citizen housing a few blocks west of downtown in my community.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Campbell View Post
Fun! The navigation info tells all about Park Now. Found out I could park near the senior citizen housing a few blocks west of downtown in my community.
ConnectedDrive apps already had additional parking and fueling details.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:26 AM

Mein Auto: G30 530e M-Sport
Are there any docs anywhere pertaining to the hybrid drivetrain on the 530e?
Old 02-28-2017, 11:31 AM
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelup View Post
Are there any docs anywhere pertaining to the hybrid drivetrain on the 530e?
This is for the 330e but it gives you a ton of info and should be about the same.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/news/89888...nical-details/

Tim
Old 02-28-2017, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: G30 530e M-Sport
Great - many thanks!
Old 04-03-2017, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: Everything
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmfm View Post
The new version of ISTA is setup with an ENET cable. BMW plans on having Ethernet be the complete backbone of their OBD systems by 2018, among many other manufacturers. They have started phasing out the old CAN buses (finally). So, the answer to your question is, yes.

The automotive industry is moving to an Ethernet based OBD platform. They will still have CAN systems for the basic legislated emissions data (by law), but everything else will be much better. Also, the speed at which the Ethernet bus transfers data is awesome. If anyone is interested in DoIP systems (Diagnostics over IP), the standards most are following are ISO 13400 and for application layer ISO 14229 UDSoIP.

Good Stuff!
Old 05-15-2017, 01:16 PM

Mein Auto: BMW G11
Hi, Would anyone know if there is an updated technical document for the Driving Assistance Systems?

My spec sheet shows the following included under the 5AT driving Assistance Package:

Evasion Aid
Crossroads Assistant / Warning
Wrong Way Assistant / Warning

But I cant find any documentation whatsoever on this three items?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kam67 View Post
Hi, Would anyone know if there is an updated technical document for the Driving Assistance Systems?

My spec sheet shows the following included under the 5AT driving Assistance Package:

Evasion Aid
Crossroads Assistant / Warning
Wrong Way Assistant / Warning

But I cant find any documentation whatsoever on this three items?

Any help would be appreciated.
For what kind of information are you looking? Those are not located in either G30 or G12 docs.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto: '10 535i Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
BMW g30 5 series technical training docs

If you're wondering how the new 5 Series works and are craving more info then the BMW press release and reviews can offer we've got the ticket for you. These BMW G30 technical training documents are used for dealership technician training, so they go very deep on how the 5 works.

There is a wealth of interesting tidbits about the new 5 in the documents. If you find something that stands out in the docs post it below!

About the all new BMW G30 BMW 5 Series
The all-new BMW 5 Series has been entirely newly developed allowing for a significant weight loss of up to 137 lbs with the use of aluminum, magnesium, and high-strength steel. Thanks to the available state of the art chassis systems including Dynamic Damper Control with Adaptive Mode and Integral Active Steering, now combinable with xDrive, BMW's intelligent all-wheel drive system, Driver Assistance Systems and Parking Assistance Systems, the all-new BMW 5 Series once more defines the athletic and executive design of a true sport sedan. Featuring a new user interface (iDrive 6.0) including an 8.8" Dynamic Digital Instrument Cluster, available Gesture Control, the latest generation of Head-Up Display, Remote 3D View and an improved Voice Control with natural voice input, the 2017 BMW 5 Series marks a new era of personalized connectivity. The BMW 5 Series is the most innovative BMW 5 Series to date, with BMW's latest Advanced Driver Assistance Systems clearing the way towards semi-automated driving.

The first ever BMW M550i xDrive is also the first M Performance model to be powered by a specifically modified M Performance TwinPower Turbo 4.4 liter 8cylinder engine. This V8 unit is equipped with two twin-scroll turbochargers and features a High Precision Injection system, Valvetronic fully variable valve lift and Double-VANOS variable camshaft timing control. This technology adds up to an output of 456 hp at 5,500 rpm and peak torque of 480 lb-ft from just 1,800 rpm (preliminary power numbers) propelling the BMW M550i xDrive from 0 to 60 mph in under 4.0 seconds and then on to an electronically limited top speed of 155 mph.

Read more about the G30 5 Series

BMW G30 5 Series Technical Training Documents

Any links like this for the F10?
Old 12-13-2017, 05:34 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
Quote:
I have rear screens and a 30% all around + 70% windshield nano-ceramic tint. That helps with HVAC as well. I do like the ability to change fan speed in the rear, but do not necessarily need four thermostats. The ECE F10's / F11's come with 4NB; not sure why NA market does not. I have the ceramic controls and like them.

I admittedly am very BMW-biased, so do not know much about the competition.
My 530e (arriving around Christmas) has the two cameras in the rear mirror housing and a HUD and I am planning on a nano tint (Suntek CIR). Do you have those features that utilize the front windshield and if so, did the windshield tinting harm their effectiveness?

Thanks.

Last edited by SteveinArizona; 12-13-2017 at 05:36 AM. Reason: left out a word
Old 12-13-2017, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
My 530e (arriving around Christmas) has the two cameras in the rear mirror housing and a HUD and I am planning on a nano tint (Suntek CIR). Do you have those features that utilize the front windshield and if so, did the windshield tinting harm their effectiveness?

Thanks.
I have Surround view cameras and HUD. Tinting decreases heat during day and glare at night. No adverse effects with my Suntek.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
Quote:
I have Surround view cameras and HUD. Tinting decreases heat during day and glare at night. No adverse effects with my Suntek.
Thank you!
Old 04-01-2018, 03:08 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 540i G30
Does anybody have an overview of the fuseboxes, free fuses and info regarding the 'states' of these fuses (when their relayed to switch on/off etc.) as described by the "G30-5-Series-Voltage-Supply-and-Bus-Systems"?
Old 04-02-2018, 12:27 AM

Mein Auto: 525d E60
Takes a bit of getting used to

Hope this helps

Alan
Old 04-02-2018, 12:10 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 540i G30
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintalan View Post
Takes a bit of getting used to

Hope this helps

Alan
Thanks for this great link!
Contains alot of information that I was looking for!

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
bmw 5 series 2018 5 series, bmw g30 5 series, bmw news, g30 technical training

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)
Today's Posts Search