Spare Tire Option - Flexibility to remove? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)

G30 (2017 - Current)
The next generation 5 Series, chassis code G30, arrives at dealers in February 2017. Looking like a scaled down 7 Series and riding on the CLAR platform, the new 5 Series will have a focus on lightweight and sporty performance. Engines options will come from BMW's new B family for the 530 and 540 and a turbocharged V8 for the M550i. Read more about the 2017 5 Series

Old 03-24-2017, 05:18 PM

Mein Auto: E39
Spare Tire Option - Flexibility to remove?

We know that the spare tire option consists of a reduced size spare tire, which is covered by a raised "floor" in the trunk. Does anyone know whether these can be removed to make the trunk look like it would if I didn't add that option (so that the floor of the trunk is not just bare metal, but is covered by the normal trunk liner?) The reason why I ask is that I'd only like to carry the spare tire and the raised floor when I travel on long trips. For the rest of the time, I would like the trunk to look "normal", as it would without the spare tire. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2017, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: A8,expedition
I ordered the spare tire option on the 540ix that I expect to see sometime next week. I have read in a couple of sources that the whole thing, tire, tools and the frame and lid can all be removed. First you would remove the tire because of the weight and then the rest comes out fairly easily according to a tech at my dealership that had seen the option in a training session. From the photos that I have seen there are two storage compartments separated from the tire that can be used for storing smaller items. I don't plan to ever remove it because I don't really need the space, and you never really know when the spare may be needed. On an earlier posting that I did there is a pretty decent video showing the option.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:27 PM

Thanks. Dealer told me today that if I remove the spare tire and the raised compartment that houses it, the floor of the trunk will be bare metal. I would need to order a fitted trunk liner if I wanted to have the floor covered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2017, 08:19 AM

Really? Wow, I assumed that when everything came out you were left with the original trunk configuration. As I said, I should see my car some time this week. I will check this out with the tech at delivery and repost to you what I find out.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:27 AM

Seems like this is one of those issues that no one knows the answer to for sure. We'll have to wait until someone who bought that setup reports back. Seems strange that they would make it such that upon removal there was a bare metal floor in the trunk.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:30 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2018 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill97 View Post
Seems like this is one of those issues that no one knows the answer to for sure. We'll have to wait until someone who bought that setup reports back. Seems strange that they would make it such that upon removal there was a bare metal floor in the trunk.
It's not called "removable" spare tire option. I would be more surprised if they provided two finished surfaces. From the pictures I've seen, the final finished surface IS the topmost panel, above the spare tire "assembly".

Current: 2018 540i MSport | Med Blue/Cognac| MSport Brakes | Multi-Contour | HK | ZLP
Prior: 2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather
Old 03-26-2017, 04:00 PM
Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2017 540xi M-Sport
It is removable, but if removed the uncarpetrd trunk will be exposed. I have this option and it's definitely an afterthought and very cheaply made. But it serves it purpose.
2017 540xi M-Sport | Bluestone/Black Dakota Leather/Rhombicle Trim |19" 664 Wheels | Premium | Cold | Driver Assistance | Driver Assistance Plus | Ceramic Controls | Multi-Contour Seats | HK Surround Sound | Apple Car Play
Prior: 2013 535xi
Prior: 2011 535xi
Prior: 2009 528xi
Prior: 2006 330xi
Old 03-26-2017, 08:38 PM

Thanks for confirming, although the answer is somewhat disappointing. If it is removed, then a fitted floor liner can be purchased (for right about the same price as the spare tire option), and that can be placed in there for a better look.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:36 AM
Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2017 540xi M-Sport
Quote:
Thanks for confirming, although the answer is somewhat disappointing. If it is removed, then a fitted floor liner can be purchased (for right about the same price as the spare tire option), and that can be placed in there for a better look.
I did not take the whole thing out but the front part came out with a little effort, it seems like it's just floating on the floor of the truck.
2017 540xi M-Sport | Bluestone/Black Dakota Leather/Rhombicle Trim |19" 664 Wheels | Premium | Cold | Driver Assistance | Driver Assistance Plus | Ceramic Controls | Multi-Contour Seats | HK Surround Sound | Apple Car Play
Prior: 2013 535xi
Prior: 2011 535xi
Prior: 2009 528xi
Prior: 2006 330xi
Old 03-29-2017, 07:00 PM

Bill97

So today I took delivery on my 540ix. The attached picture isn't the best, but what you see is the posterior edge of the base of the compartment (the part with the two dividers) lifted up revealing not only that there is no "subfloor" but that the underlying batteries (yes, there is the regular battery and a secondary battery) totally exposed. When you look at the tire you see that it sits upon a sort of round lid.

Anyway, if the whole frame,lid. tire, tools, etc are removed (contrary to what some of us had been led to believe) the original trunk format is not restored, and if it is to be used for storage you need something that not only covers what is exposed, but something firm enough to protect the underlying batteries. For me it isn't an issue because I would always want the spare in place and the two storage compartments at least replace some of the lost space. So this still works for me. However, for anyone with thoughts of removing the whole thing to recapture lost space, something is needed to replace the hard covering that would other wise be in place over the batteries. When you or someone else suggested that something had to be purchased from BMW, I thought "heck just drop in a throw rug." I was mistaken. That would be inadequate. Perhaps you do need something purposely made from BMW. I have to say that BMW should have provided better information as to how the option worked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	592856  
Old 03-29-2017, 09:35 PM

Thanks very much for the very helpful information. That definitely answers the question as to what the area looks like under the optional spare tire. Thanks for posting the pic.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:09 PM

Michbimmer-

I took a picture of the spare tire setup in the 7 series (attached). If you take the "cover" for the spare tire assembly (the flat piece with the vacuum marks in the photo, and remove the spare tire assembly underneath it, the cover will fit perfectly flat over the floor below (even over the "pit" that contains the batteries. I measured it. Is this the same setup for the 540? Would you mind posting a pic of the flat cover? This is the piece that is hinged up in your previous photo to reveal the tire and battery pit underneath. If this is the same setup, I would think that this piece would cover any void left by removing the spare tire assembly. Thanks.

Bill97
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2724.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	592939  
Old 03-30-2017, 06:48 PM

Bill97

You may not believe this, but last night I woke up in the middle of the night, was thinking about this and a bunch of other stuff (that's what old people do) and the thought came to me "If everything was taken out, would the lid fit back in as a floor over the batteries etc.?" Well. between working on tax stuff and the grandkids being here, I didn't manage to go down to the garage and take another look today. But your message motivated me to check it out again. So here are three pictures. The top picture shows the compartmented portion lifted up and slid forward, with the posterior end of the lid inserted down into the lower area. As you can see it does match up width wise. The second pic is taken from inside the cabin with that side of the rear seat folded forward showing the spare tire in its cradle. The third pic is identical to the second, except that the lid is back in place. When in place the lid looks just like your pic of the Seven. I do believe that it is the same set up, and judging from what the dimensions appear to be, I believe that the lid would set back down over the batteries etc, essentially restoring the trunk. There has to be someone at BMW that could confirm this, but before I ordered the car I called the "genius" line and they had no information. In any case, it certainly looks like it would work. I guess my remaining question is why did someone tell one of the other posters that a special order part was needed? Hope all this helps. This is my 4th BMW. I passed on the previous Five because I didn't like the steering feel. This car really does steer and handle very nicely (non M sport 540ix). I do really like it, although I only put about 90 miles on it yesterday and didn't use it today.

Name:	IMG_7453.JPG
Views:	379
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	592946

Name:	IMG_7456.JPG
Views:	367
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	592947

Name:	IMG_7458.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	592948
Old 03-30-2017, 07:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 540xi
Page 238 in manual. You can convert cargo area. 1)remove cargo floor panel 2)open ratchet strap 3)remove tool holder 4)remove wheel 5)loosen ratchet strap from the lashing eyes 6)remove storage compartment 7)remove storage well 8)insert the cargo floor panel.

Now you have the Full Trunk without the Spare tire in it. Title in manual is "With an emergency wheel: Enlarging the cargo area
Old 03-30-2017, 07:39 PM

Michbimmer-

Thanks for the update and pics. In the first pic, it looks like in order to remove the setup, you'd have to also unscrew the white bolt and remove the round platform that holds the wheel/tire. I would imagine there are other bolts that would need to be removed in order to remove that assembly. Based on the photos of the front and rear of the cover and how it measures against the opening on the floor, it definitely looks like it would fit as a cover when the assembly is removed.

One question..how much room do you have from the top of the assembly to the bottom of the weatherstripping around the rear part of the trunk lid opening? On the 7 series, the clearance is 15 inches. Thanks.

Bill97
Old 03-30-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Michbimmer-

Thanks for the update and pics. In the first pic, it looks like in order to remove the setup, you'd have to also unscrew the white bolt and remove the round platform that holds the wheel/tire. I would imagine there are other bolts that would need to be removed in order to remove that assembly. Based on the photos of the front and rear of the cover and how it measures against the opening on the floor, it definitely looks like it would fit as a cover when the assembly is removed.

One question..how much room do you have from the top of the assembly to the bottom of the weatherstripping around the rear part of the trunk lid opening? On the 7 series, the clearance is 15 inches. Thanks.

Bill97
Completely removable to original trunk read my note above.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:57 PM

Steve -

Thanks. Well, there you go. Thanks. A definitive answer. Do you know where I can get a pdf of the owners manual, or would you mind posting it? Thanks very much.

Bill97
Old 03-30-2017, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: 540ix (to be)
doh!
The Manual!
Old 03-30-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Steve -

Thanks. Well, there you go. Thanks. A definitive answer. Do you know where I can get a pdf of the owners manual, or would you mind posting it? Thanks very much.

Bill97
That was pretty much word for word in manual. It was 1/4 of the page. If i can figure it out, I will take a picture of that page tomorrow and attach.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:55 AM

Sorry i do not know how to attach a picture to reply.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:45 PM

How to remove spare tire
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0903.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	593032  
Old 04-01-2017, 06:00 AM
silberma1

Mein Auto: 2018 540i
sapre tire

If you have run flat tires, what is the point in having a spare?
Old 04-01-2017, 08:31 AM

I do not have run flats. Ordered the car with 18 inch rims and non run flats. I will never buy runflats again after all the trouble I had with them on my 2014 bmw 535. Worst tires ever. My new car is super quiet and you don't get jolted with every bump you hit. So glad I have Regular Tires.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:04 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 540i; 428 GC; 340i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by silberma1 View Post
If you have run flat tires, what is the point in having a spare?
First, having a spare allows you to drive on non-RFT snow tires with at least some peace of mind. That's important for those of us who live int he snow belt and realize "All Season" tires are a marketing scam.

Second, you can drive a punctured, deflating RFT for no more than 50 miles, at no more than 50 mph. Ever stopped to think of what you would do if you got a flat on a Sunday, in the middle of nowhere, when the nearest tire store was 100 miles away and they didn't open till Monday morning? And even then, it would take them 48 hours to have a tire shipped in, because Joe's Tires and Appliances in East Bumfrick has never carried a tire in the size you need, let alone one that matches your other 3 tires?
2016 428 GC MSport

Prior BMW's
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 04-01-2017, 10:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
First, having a spare allows you to drive on non-RFT snow tires with at least some peace of mind. That's important for those of us who live int he snow belt and realize "All Season" tires are a marketing scam.

Second, you can drive a punctured, deflating RFT for no more than 50 miles, at no more than 50 mph. Ever stopped to think of what you would do if you got a flat on a Sunday, in the middle of nowhere, when the nearest tire store was 100 miles away and they didn't open till Monday morning? And even then, it would take them 48 hours to have a tire shipped in, because Joe's Tires and Appliances in East Bumfrick has never carried a tire in the size you need, let alone one that matches your other 3 tires?
You are correct Monkeyazz Duck. That's exactly what happened to this F25 X3 owner. A simple puncture ended up costing him $1420.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=917185

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)
Today's Posts Search